Tue 24th Nov 2015 14:23

Your Saudi-Arabian poet link in the "News" section drew my
attention - and my signature. Let's hope the total rises
significantly.

Comment is about Tim Ellis (poet profile)

Original item by Tim Ellis

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:57

Mankind always seems to be asking more questions than
obtaining answers. The very nature of "time" continues
to intrigue us and that is probably encouraged by our
need to control/regulate it via clocks. I have a copy of
one of the American scientific magazines devoted to the
subject and it also provides more questions than
explanations. I certainly get your drift about retention
of memories if body cells are renewed as proposed. That
would be worth a paper from some bright university
bod seeking a degree!
Also - what about muscle/body breakdown and repair to
greater size via progressive weight-training and the one for one replacement/rebuild process over "time"?
My brain hurts - let alone my muscles!!

Comment is about TRIG'S BROOM (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:46

Thanks everyone for stoking up this one! Nostalgia can't be beat. Mark, the Schools were 4 4 0s and were reckoned to run really well. I remember all these beauties stripped of their nameplates pulling coal trucks. Thanks again.
John , I am impressed with your credentials ; where would be without the brave restorers and explorers? Apparently, there was a line running from Whitby down the coast south, but axed. That would have been spectacular.
Regards, Ray

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Stu Buck

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:41

this is beautiful. so many themes but the dominant one (the return to infancy of the elderly) is handled so well. i often read your work and sit for a while afterwards in reflection of the standard of your writing.

Comment is about the last hospital stay (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:41

A fine juxtaposition of ideas, a real life experience with a lyrical turn of phrase. It reminds me of Philip Larkin in his grimmer moments!
regards Ray

Comment is about Ecoute (blog)

Original item by Peter Knaggs

Stu Buck

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:40

this seems more grounded than your other pieces. you have linked the surreal imagery that you do so well (the second verse is especially good here) with I's and Me's and What's. It gives the whole piece what I'm proudly dubbing 'a Cronenbergian, Lynchy feel'. Very nice.

Comment is about lost compass magnet (11/22/2015) (blog)

Original item by Zach Dafoe

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:38

Really lovely poem. So poignant and questions the status of age and how little it counts.
Ray

Comment is about the last hospital stay (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:37

Ray - you encouraged me to seek out my "Observer's
Book of British Steam Locomotives" and be sure I got my
facts right. I was impressed to read about that class of
loco and how its 6'7" driving wheels were 5 inches larger
than my favourite BR "Britannia" class - the SR engine
designed for mainly Continental boat-trains between
Victoria and Dover. The OB reckoned they were spoiled
by the addition of smoke deflectors, previously being
"considered by some to rank among the most handsome
4-6-0s to run in this country". At least the original Lord
Nelson was retained by BR for steam preservation.
JC - I bought a few hundred shares in the Watercress
Line (Winchester & Alton) when it put itself forward for
the purpose. I still have the two certificates somewhere
plus the original full page Daily Telegraph prospectus
that attracted my attention. I am delighted to see
how the concern has progressed since those days but
I doubt if I'll get more than a reduced single fare out of
my contributions.

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:36

wonderful imagery Stu. Leaves me breathless. "cold breath close " is STUpendous. it reminds me of when I fired an air rifle at an enormous rose bush and it fell to the ground.
Ray

Comment is about heavy shelling (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Stu Buck

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:35

hello tim. i havent read it but have it in my basket ready for payday. the back cover is gorgeous, who painted that? i'd be interested to hear your feedback on Createspace. ive heard variable things.

Comment is about C-R-A-P World Holidays (blog)

Original item by Tim Ellis

Tim Ellis

Tue 24th Nov 2015 13:01

Stu Buck

Tue 24th Nov 2015 11:34

i know! this actually happened to me ten years ago. i couldnt believe my luck.

Comment is about a fine vintage (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Tue 24th Nov 2015 11:25

It's amazing what you can get in Boots these days!

Comment is about a fine vintage (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Tue 24th Nov 2015 09:47

Can't beat a good railway poem. They are purpose made for the rhythm.
The NYMR runs from Pickering to Whitby and is excellent. The Wartime Weekends are especially magical, when the whole town and visitors get in costume. Alternatively, the Goth Weekends in Whitby are brilliant too.
(As it happens I am a shareholder in the Railway although staff have dropped the courtesy of doffing their caps to me).

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 22:07

Interesting point, MC. If the cells are never more than 7 years old why do we age?
And here's another one; how can we have memories from 40, 50, 60 years ago? Where have they been kept?

Comment is about TRIG'S BROOM (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Lynn Hamilton

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 19:19

Thanks to you both for reading and taking the time to comment. xx

Comment is about Bone Marrow (blog)

Stu Buck

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 16:48

my first girlfriend was from bridlington! what a shit hole.

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 16:45

Thanks Graham . Great times, and I understand how your little'uns felt! Bitterne was run on the Eastern main line being of the Mallard class. Big fellas!!

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 16:43

Thanks Stu. Out of my territory I'm afraid, but that line has a great vista for the enthusiast! I used to gig in Bridlington , I think that was the terminus. Great. Steam trains make a great brush stroke on the canvas, as Turner realised!
Mark , your comment deserves some attention! Actually, your guess was nearly right; the Schools ran mainly out east to Ramsgate and I think Hastings before electrification. Much admired by the footplate men. The Lord Nelson were reckoned to be underpowered - though obviously iconic and just as romantic with those names!
What a thrill to be where you were - repressed power bursting out. How lucky we were - I watched the same locos at West Drayton at high speed. A joy.

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Stu Buck

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 16:27

lovely memories here ray. some of my favourite childhood moments are aboard steam trains. pickering in yorkshire was my favourite haunt, which also boasts an astonishingly fine second hand book shop.

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 16:16

If the reaction of the "Son of God" to the priests in the temple is any guide then today's impertinent posers in
the name of the Almighty would have merited a similar
reaction. Religion has - like politics - always been about "control" - the primary reason why the two were at
odds so often in history here in the West. The way in
which Islam forces infants to recite endlessly from their
chosen holy book is the most obvious indication of how
fearful and rigid is the framework for that religion.
The report that Saudi Arabia's money is behind the
proliferation of mosques here in the UK poses its own
questions. Why is Islam apparently determined to spread its message through the often vilified "West",
home of the "unbelievers". Is there more to this than
an escape from fundamentalist strictures?

Comment is about Saudi Arabia sentences Palestinian poet to death after appeal against 800 lashes (article)

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 15:55

You mean you haven't got your picture up in the loft, JC?

Comment is about TRIG'S BROOM (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 15:51

You have to be a southern lad for that particular loco name
to ring a bell. Was is a "Schools" class, Ray?
My own memories include living beside the main London-
Bristol GWR line at Box and as a 12 year old lad being able
to climb unsupervised to the rickety "halt" platforms just
west of the famous Box Tunnel and watch the far end
pin-point of light suddenly darken and know that in a
matter of seconds an express would roar out of the nearest
end and thunder past me - mere feet away - unhindered by health and safety and all the rest of modern cotton-wool cossetting.

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

DavidAddington

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 15:39

A great response Harry. Says it all. I mean you have to wonder why so many Muslims have left their countries of origin in the first place, to com and live here in the West - because of dictator type doctrines that take away civil freedoms. You can't blame for them for wanting to settle in the West and peacefully prosper and live their lives.

It is all down to interpretation and how ambiguous that could be.

Personally, I believe that GOD is an alien. That's just my interpretation, but I don't force that on others with a fear of death.

I just don't get religion - it's a form of slavery in a way. Having to pray several times a day. Did God really want that from his people?

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 15:39

I bet you got that little bit of wind in your eye didn't you Ray?
Isn't it wonderful how these lovely old beasts conjure up clear memories. I can smell the coal!
I took my two oldest grandsons to see Bitterne (a Gresley streamline class) when it raced through here a couple of years ago. Their faces were incredulous!

Comment is about A RIDE ON THE FOOTPLATE OF LORD NELSON (blog)

Original item by ray pool

<Deleted User> (14707)

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 13:27

nice to known this..

Review is about Pemberton Pens on 18 Nov 2015 (event)

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 12:49

My hallucinatory drug these days, Graham, is Night Nurse.
THFC - Dare to Believe.

Comment is about TRIG'S BROOM (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 10:39

You've ben on those little pills again haven't you JC?

On a more serious note, working on the seven year renewal principle, shouldn't we have won the cup and league a bot more often??

Comment is about TRIG'S BROOM (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

michelle hatten

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 01:30

I write them down but I barely share them with ppl

Comment is about love is like the ocean (blog)

Original item by michelle hatten

Harry O'Neill

Mon 23rd Nov 2015 00:07

Ashraf`s situation is due to what we would call an extreme
form of theocratic Islamism.

As a guy said on Sunday Morning Live last week, the issue
facing Islam is the interpretation of the Koran.

The media coverage has rather enhanced the alarm effect
of the recent jihad terrorism and this talk about a different
kind of internal terrorist `war` makes me wonder about:

1...The various - and unresolved - `Arab Springs`.

2...The establishment of a possibly rallying `Caliphite`.

3...The historic example of the amazingly rapid military
spread of Islam in the sixth and seventh centuries.

4...The (apparently?) opposite attitudes of Iran and Saudi
to the `theological` situation of ISIS.

5...Ukraine and the probable `rickerty` nature of any
combined U.S. European, and Russian action against ISIS.

6...The ambiguity of some Moslem interpretation Of the
Jihad type sections of the Koran.

And wonder which branch of Koran interpretation commands
authority among the `silent majority` of the Moslems who
dwell among us in Britain.

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 17:16

cripes! That's damned clever and guides the mind well. I might try that myself - if so I will indicate that as an intention. Never too old to learn.

Ray

Comment is about shadow (a tanka horror story) (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 16:35

a masterstroke of Spielberg proportions - did you "see" that mountain as well?! I love "our entrance fee was fear". Youth is a wonderful thing - you don't want to lose the sense of wonder.
Very nostalgic for me Stu.

Comment is about The Beverley Westwood UFO Adventure Club (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 16:24

Thanks for your recent comment on my own page.
"Let us listen so that others might speak,
Let us speak so that others might listen."
.........................................................
And long may it be so.
Good luck.

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

ken eaton-dykes

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 16:11

Confiscate all properties and investments, the rich
saudi's hold in this country.

What the royal saudi's get up to behind closed doors, would under the rules of islam. more than likely earn any one else the death penalty

And I refuse to dignify them or their rotten country with capitol letters

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 16:05

Even medieval lands had their places of sanctuary against
a harsh and cruel world beyond. Long may these exist
for our sanity and safety today. But I'd prefer a cup of Earl Grey, myself. :-))

Comment is about Savour the Fall (blog)

Original item by J F Keane

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 15:52

JC makes powerful points in this context. Autocratic power
fears and cannot abide wilful and arbitrary challenge that
unsettles/undermines its authority.
David Addington - you are thinking of Idi Amin, the "butcher
of Kampala". I had a copy of a hilarious "p...-take" in
book form of that grotesque by the then editor of the
famous "Punch" magazine...putting side-splitting words
into Amin's mouth - as if it was his diary. In Uganda, it
would have undoubtedly warranted the death penalty!!

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 15:46

Some very valid points made about the wider human condition in pleasing effective rhyme form.
To a degree we may all be "immigrants" but fall outside
the definition once qualified by a measure of time which
defines degrees of origin, descent and contributions -
passwords to the vital communal meaning of citizenship.
The Channel - that moat described by Shakespeare - has
allowed us to survive while setting out to save freedom
for others and - I do not forget - building an empire that
allows us influence even now far beyond our size.
The advent of global media has allowed the television
to enter the meanest homes across the planet and now,
despite what we have achieved and since given up, it
seems our northern shores are now targeted by those
for whom/by whom we are to be lectured on our "obligation" to offer them places to live far removed
from their own ethnic, social and religious ways of life.
It makes no sense - and is thereby, nonsense in the
literal meaning of the word.

Comment is about Bordering On The Rediculous (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Stu Buck

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 13:00

these short but powerful verses are becoming your thing. i love them. they are lyrical and dark. im thinking berlin era lou reed.

Comment is about Bone Marrow (blog)

Stu Buck

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 12:55

thanks ray! a tanka is five lines with a strict syllabic count.

5,7,5,7,7

its tough but rewarding!

Comment is about shadow (a tanka horror story) (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 12:51

Unquestionably the former, John.
Poetry is so impotent in liberal democracies precisely because any silly bugger can and does say what they like.
The Arts can be so powerful in autocratic regimes because they can't.

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 12:11

Really menacing this one Stu. A flip side of parental responsibility , a primeval fear I imagine. This five line format is reminiscent of the five/four musical rhythm which disrupts the comfort of the four line form. Think "Take Five" Dave Brubeck as an example. It gives some impetus and is quite unsettling in a way. Is this the Tanka form? A really strong offering !!

Comment is about shadow (a tanka horror story) (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

John F Keane

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 11:00

It is interesting how the ruling regimes in many other countries seem to have such interest in what poets, writers and artists say/do. Is such creative oppression reflective of authoritarian values or rather the relative impotence/insignificance of the arts in western countries?

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 02:39

I've limited a previous reply to support Mankind's
actions against harmful effects on the world's climate
yet not lose sight of the natural climactic changes
being wrought by Nature in the context of the long
existence of this planet, with making them public - in
the context of "how and why" in this reported process
of change - equally vital to our overall understanding
of the Earth and its life support systems.

Comment is about DO YOU BELIEVE? (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Sun 22nd Nov 2015 02:03

I see this as a sinister "relation" of the modern trend for
medicos to prescribe antibiotics at the drop of a hat,
thereby encouraging "lazy nature" to take the easy option
and render itself more vulnerable to bacterial mutations
that seek to make us their homes - even unto death - as
they find ways of overcoming our physical defences
against infection.

Comment is about Modern Science (blog)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

DavidAddington

Sat 21st Nov 2015 23:39

I really like this poem. I love Autumn too. Very symbolic Ian.

If you get chance have a listen and view of this:

A song I wrote with a friend where we use the first few verses of Keat's Ode to Autumn and then our own imagery after.

I get what you mean about how Autumn is like an afterglow of our lives before the metaphorical death of winter and uncertainty of our lives.

Comment is about A Song For Autumn (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

DavidAddington

Sat 21st Nov 2015 23:22

and back to the poetry as the world, sadly ticks on and we are here to write about it - the human condition...

Sat 21st Nov 2015 22:24

Stu, thank you for your lovely comment. I can't lie, I'm a genius. But then again, the truth is that I don't actually know how that happened. The best things come to those who w w w wait though.
My wife thought this poem was stooping low; but I thought humour can redeem most things and also remove their sting. She took a lot of persuading!

Ray

Comment is about SERVICE WITH A SMILE (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Steve Higgins

Sat 21st Nov 2015 21:08

Simple but lyrical. Love this, best wishes, Steve

Comment is about Bone Marrow (blog)

Stu Buck

Sat 21st Nov 2015 19:41

ray. first off, let me say how much i enjoyed the fact you posted two blank pages before this called 'ser' and 'ser'. i believe it was a mistake but if you say it out loud, it sounds like arkwright from 'open all hours'. he was always giving 'ser...ser...service with a smile'. that is a quite brilliant error. or perhaps it was intentional, in which case you are some kind of genius.
secondly, the poem is jaunty and well written. strong rhyming as well. especially functions/injunctions. thats inspired!

Comment is about SERVICE WITH A SMILE (blog)

Original item by ray pool

◄ Prev123 … 200 … 400 … 446447448449450 … 600 … 800 … 1000 … 1200 … 1400 … 1600 … 1800 … 199319941995Next ►