DESMOND CHILDS

Sat 9th Dec 2017 22:16

Hi Ray,
A very slippery nature of a subject,and as you say we can indulge
So I think you I and Stu should get our coats on and nip over to the hadron collider and see if they will shoot us round a few times and see what happens. Cynthia,Rose,C😃l and Fred welcome too. lol

Comment is about Poem of a moment (blog)

Original item by DESMOND CHILDS

Beno

Sat 9th Dec 2017 22:13

Really resonated with me this poem. Thank you. Beno.

Comment is about Touch (blog)

Original item by Sarah Mae

Miranda Fegan

Sat 9th Dec 2017 22:05

Just wanted to thank you for your lovely comment on my poem Snow Day. I appreciate how concise you were in why you liked it; it's not something we get every day and it's helpful when building one's talent.

💕
Mira

Comment is about Connor Lannes (poet profile)

Original item by Connor Lannes

Wolfgar Miere

Sat 9th Dec 2017 21:39

Sadly familiar story, although the drunks are sometimes friendlier than the cops.

Comment is about R.T.U. (blog)

Original item by Duncan McKenzie Ross

Wolfgar Miere

Sat 9th Dec 2017 21:26

Thanks Hannah, Stu and Ray.

I am fond of the gothic. Also quite interested in that period of time when Laudanum was widely in use.

It's a strange thing that can get under the skin, when I was in Kandahar I lived in a compound next to a small US military unit that were growing their own weed drying it out in the compound and smoking it, I was working on a drugs eradication program, which was strange.

In June 2016 two of my colleagues, both former British servicemen OD'd on heroin in their accommodation in a Kabul compound, I was second on the scene to find them.

This pattern of behaviour put me in mind of the history of many soldiers returning from previous Afghan wars, and it goes on. Some places get into the blood, quite literally.

Any way it all feeds into a general feeling of helplessness.

David X

Comment is about Hallucinogens and Conversions (how junkies find god) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Julian (Admin)

Sat 9th Dec 2017 21:22

Sounds as though it more than soldiered on, becoming one of those "you should have been there events". Well done Mssrs Spoz, Doyle and McGonigal.

Comment is about Brenda's body rub to the rescue in injury time at Licensed to Rhyme (article)

Big Sal

Sat 9th Dec 2017 19:01

Great imagery for a subject such as this. Blue eggs, blue birds, blue roses, blue skies, everything fits together so well. Great poem.

Comment is about The Robin (blog)

Original item by Mike Bartram

Big Sal

Sat 9th Dec 2017 18:58

Sometimes things that are the most difficult to attain are also worth the most. Peace of mind is priceless. Good poem here.

Comment is about Let that go.. (blog)

Original item by Shruti

Nicola Beckett

Sat 9th Dec 2017 18:58

Beautiful Patrick, you are the sunrise and I am your sky Xx

Comment is about The peeling poem / the corner of the sky poems (blog)

Original item by david patrick simon

Beno

Sat 9th Dec 2017 18:07

I enjoyed this poem very much. It was full of rich nostalgic images. Some of the things I remember doing myself.
There was a line I found very sad. When you said you had not noticed today's children doing the same. It is very true.
I try to get my kids to enjoy being outside and try to give them as much freedom as I can.
Summer just gone I built them a go-cart from pram wheels. Every kid who saw it wanted a go. Every adult remembered instantly their childhood.
I wonder if today's kids will remember playing with their xboxes with the same magical way?
Beno.

Comment is about In those days (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Rich

Sat 9th Dec 2017 17:00

well put.

Comment is about Integrated (blog)

Original item by Aishah

LEON STOLGARD

Sat 9th Dec 2017 16:37

John their ideas are such stuff that shite is made of.Enjoyed the spoofer

Comment is about GOD BLESS YE MERRIE BREXIT MEN (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Ryn

Sat 9th Dec 2017 15:50

once again lovely! so glad to get to read you once again!

With love,
Ryn

Comment is about Kenny And Arthur (blog)

Original item by Hannah Collins

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 14:25

its llangollen ray, a beautiful area and lovely railway. i used to live near pickering in yorkshire too, another cracker.

Comment is about STEAM DREAMS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Sat 9th Dec 2017 14:13

Impressively different and challenging Des. In view of the slippery nature of the subject we can be indulged endlessly which gives it a certain charm and relevance to other kindred matters. Blimey, i'll get me coat!

Ray

Comment is about Poem of a moment (blog)

Original item by DESMOND CHILDS

Chris Armstrong

Sat 9th Dec 2017 14:12

Well, I hope so! Although generations tend to spread geographically more than 50 or 60 years ago! But when my sons were still at home we virtually always ate around the table - its such a cosy time to catch up!

Comment is about Lunch with my Grandmother (blog)

Original item by Chris Armstrong

Sat 9th Dec 2017 14:10

Quite amazing how you can conjure up such deep implications seemingly effortlessly . There is a price to be paid I know! The word laudanum brings to mind so much of the gothic vapours and aspidistra shadows in fluted blue bottles . I love this poem, really so accomplished. It has me thinking of starving and isolated seers who "discovered" inspirational delusions.

Ray

Comment is about Hallucinogens and Conversions (how junkies find god) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Sat 9th Dec 2017 14:03

Here is the hijacking of a genuine humanitarianism by the commercial wizards who know every trick in the book - well expressed Jennifer. I like the comparison you make with the biblical concept of giving. Where did we go wrong? Much of what we celebrate at Xmas goes to landfill - another problem!

Ray

Comment is about Christmas (blog)

Original item by jennifer Malden

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:58

The penalties of loving pets is that final visit to the vets Rose. The sad thing is that they can never say goodbye .

Ray

Comment is about passing the vets (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:52

HI Rose. I'm glad this ticked a box for you - no reason why ladies shouldn't equally enjoy being transported back to nostalgic times! My parents never owned a car so went everywhere by train; magic times. Blackpool saw big crowds coming by train (still open), again before cars. Just think, no car parking fees then! I'll check out Ted Nugent ....
Thanks for responding.

Thanks Hannah, appreciated. I might follow this up the nostalgia trail with one in a similar vein ....

Yes Leon. They do pack quite a punch - back in the day they were rather sad and dirty and leaking in the sixties(a bit like me now). Thanks mate.

Stu very pleased you like this. I am thinking you might be referring to the Llandudno branch or is it Wrexham?
I love railway poetry especially Adlestrop. How lucky to be close to such treasures! All the best to you.

Thanks also, Beno, Col and David. Appreciated.

Dream on everyone. Ray

Comment is about STEAM DREAMS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Nigel Astell

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:33

Sack full of poems
to be let loose
at Oldknow in Marple
by the merry poets
of Write Out Loud
posters with festive details
posted all over town!

Comment is about Oldknow Xmas Poster (blog)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:12

tense and off-putting (in a good way). like watching a david lynch film with chinese subtitles

Comment is about consumption (12/01/2017) (blog)

Original item by Zach Dafoe

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:11

intense summer nights. how lovely ray, i am but a slip of a man compared to thee, but i too love the steam railway near my house and can feel the sun on the nape of my neck as i read this.

Comment is about STEAM DREAMS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:10

science and poetry collide, as if shot together in the large hadron collider, creating something beautiful and crisp.

Comment is about Poem of a moment (blog)

Original item by DESMOND CHILDS

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:09

cracking david. as if lewis carroll tried to rewrite genesis.

Comment is about Hallucinogens and Conversions (how junkies find god) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:08

such effortless writing laura, the transition from line two to three is beautiful.

Comment is about The Final Haiku (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:06

atmosphere so thick i could spread it on my toast and devour it. great piece of writing graham as ever.

Comment is about In those days (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:04

lovely meowku

Comment is about Lucky (blog)

Original item by Shirley Smothers

Stu Buck

Sat 9th Dec 2017 13:04

john this is outstanding work. just beautiful.

Comment is about SALAMANDER (blog)

Original item by john short

Jonathan Humble

Sat 9th Dec 2017 11:55

Great collection. I love 'My People' and 'In Praise Of Arguing'. Kim runs a brilliant group of young poets (Dove Cottage Young Poets) and the Kendal Poetry Festival she organises with Po Yarwood goes from strength to strength.
: )

Comment is about Kim Moore's debut collection wins Geoffrey Faber prize (article)

Sat 9th Dec 2017 11:15

HI Mark . Re my first comment to you re Mr Khan's motives: cynicism is perhaps a too barbed word and not in keeping with the impression I have of you - so please overlook this please - got carried away!

Ray

Comment is about THE LAST NOEL (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Sat 9th Dec 2017 11:12

HI Mark . I just wanted to retract my claim on a recent post about Your "cynicism being intact" re Sadiq Khan. I didn't wish to imply that your approach to life is cynical, in fact you have a shrewd observational skill, which may include elements of cynicism as in that case. It's hard to all things to all men, and I try to be lively and immediate in replying to comments, and to broaden contexts. So, please take this as a one-off. I would hate to think you got the wrong idea!

Have a good Christmas and vive les comments.

Ray

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Sat 9th Dec 2017 09:17

Thanks, Fred. Although it does reflect my own views on Brexit I do adopt a blunderbuss approach to parody. I've posted proBrexit stuff, anti-Conservative, anti-Labour, anti-Corbyn, anti-May etc. If they're stood up, they're fair game.

Comment is about GOD BLESS YE MERRIE BREXIT MEN (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Colin Hill

Sat 9th Dec 2017 09:07

Hi Kevin, glad you liked the trip down Memory Lane. That was quite a line up you described. Wish we had a time machine eh? Cheers, Col.

Comment is about Crombies (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

kJ Walker

Sat 9th Dec 2017 07:35

Hi Col
This one really takes me back to my youth. We used to go to Steelies in Sheffield. It used to cost about £3 to get in, pay on the door, and there was always 4or5 groups on.
I can remember seeing The Specials when they were bottom of the bill, behind The Clash, Richard Hell and the Void-oids, and two other groups. They weren't too well received at the time but I'd give an arm and a leg to see them now.
We never wore Crombies though, that was always seen as the uniform of skin heads.
Happy days.
Thanks for the remainder

Cheers Kevin

Comment is about Crombies (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Big Sal

Sat 9th Dec 2017 02:59

Good form in the poem, and it flows well.

Comment is about Black Dress (blog)

Original item by Louis Audet

Big Sal

Sat 9th Dec 2017 02:58

Fuck Trump. Great poem.

Comment is about Hashtag Arrogance (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Big Sal

Sat 9th Dec 2017 02:51

Anyone can rhyme, but only those that try really persevere. I especially enjoy the concept of this, as I enjoy to rhyme.

Comment is about Mime Rhyme, slightly different (blog)

Original item by Shirley Smothers

Big Sal

Sat 9th Dec 2017 02:49

Everyone has a story to tell, compile yours and tell it. Very concise poem.

Comment is about your story (blog)

Original item by Maxine

Danny G.

Sat 9th Dec 2017 00:05

Thanks for the like and comment on my poem Rose!😉

Comment is about Rose Casserley (poet profile)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Fred Varden

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:29

Brilliantly crafted piece dude, keep the fire burning Beno.

Comment is about The Willow Girl (blog)

Original item by Beno

Jon

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:28

Hi Graham
Lovely poem. Full of detail and so engaging. I especially loved the fifth stanza with the Brook described using emotions but it's all enjoyable and really well written and conveyed.
Jon

Comment is about In those days (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Fred Varden

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:24

Absolute unbridled brilliance!

Comment is about The 'Blue Badge Limp' (blog)

Original item by Mike Bartram

Big Sal

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:24

Great poem, very thought provoking in its substance, and an enjoyable read.

Comment is about Under the Gun (blog)

Original item by Fred Varden

Fred Varden

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:22

Stuff it, politics aside this poem is absolutely brilliant, witty, clever, I LOVE IT. well done. Send it to The Speaker!

Comment is about GOD BLESS YE MERRIE BREXIT MEN (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Fred Varden

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:15

Quite brilliant Connor

Comment is about How Can I Keep From Singing (blog)

Original item by Connor Lannes

Fred Varden

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:12

Great piece, good job, well done Miranda.

Comment is about Snow Day (blog)

Original item by Miranda Fegan

LEON STOLGARD

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:10

naming your dog Angel says a lot, Rose.You have my sympathies and thanks for sharing

Comment is about passing the vets (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

LEON STOLGARD

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:05

no probs Rose and the same from me to you

Comment is about Mr LEON STOLGARD (poet profile)

Original item by Mr LEON STOLGARD

LEON STOLGARD

Fri 8th Dec 2017 23:03

such a brave lady indeed Jemima and such a well-written appraisal of her bravery

Comment is about putting fear to flight (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

◄ Prev1234 … 211 … 422 … 633 … 844 … 1055 … 1266 … 1477 … 1688 … 1899 … 210421052106Next ►