Big Sal

Wed 21st Feb 2018 23:32

Had not heard the word 'sodapop' in years, not since high school reading Hinton. Very nostalgic-like read that has a good flow to it.

Comment is about From Caterpillar to Butterfly (blog)

Original item by Janine Armentrout

Big Sal

Wed 21st Feb 2018 23:27

Like a death stranding. Great imagery!

Comment is about Ricochet (blog)

Original item by K.T. Roberts

Tina Glover

Wed 21st Feb 2018 22:09

Wow what a wonderful piece you have written and it's simply beautiful!! ☺️☺️

I hope you are well and have a blessed day Patrick!

Comment is about This day / the nowhere poems (blog)

Original item by david patrick simon

keith jeffries

Wed 21st Feb 2018 21:22

David
You are very angry but please do not apologise for it. Jesus was more than angry when he entered the Temple in Jerusalem and over turned the tables of the money lenders. In fact he was both furious and violent as he used a whip. Let poetry get it off your chest, but spare the cat.

Stay strong
Keith

Comment is about Soap (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Jon

Wed 21st Feb 2018 20:12

Hi again Jacqueline
A stunning poem told from a unique viewpoint. Very touching.
Thanks for sharing
Jon

Comment is about Living My Own Death (blog)

Original item by Jacqueline Phillips

Jon

Wed 21st Feb 2018 20:07

Hi Jacqueline
Well done on a neatly constructed poem that rings true regarding social networking. Great rhyming too. Thanks for your recent like as well
Jon

Comment is about Our Social Networking Policy (blog)

Original item by Jacqueline Phillips

Brian Maryon

Wed 21st Feb 2018 19:00

Hi Kevin

I like your profile notes. I like your poems too. I can't understand most of the stuff that gets posted on this site...they seem to be random words thrown together mostly. Even without rhymes poems need to have a rhythm I feel. Perhaps it's me who is out of step.

Brian

Comment is about Kevin (poet profile)

Original item by Kevin

Saniya

Wed 21st Feb 2018 18:31

Thank you! My name means Noble it is Arabic.

Comment is about Saniya (poet profile)

Original item by Saniya

Wed 21st Feb 2018 17:09

Coming back so late sorry Hannah. Your comments are "Hannah (not manna) from heaven thanks. Glad to have hit the spot.

Ray

Comment is about CONSIDERATA (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 21st Feb 2018 17:07

Sorry Suki, just trawling on past poems - there is such a conception of Liverpool being the source of all humour and street wisdom that it is an easy target I suppose. Thanks for taking the long view.

Ray

Comment is about BRIE de MERSEY (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 21st Feb 2018 17:05

How remiss of me to overlook your comments, sorry. Just minesweeping today and here they are.

Cheers, Col my pleasure.

Martin, Frankly I wasn't garnering my own bouquet here, but so pleased you fitted me up to it!!
great comment by the way.

Liking your likes, Frances, Hannah and Pat. !

Ray

Comment is about THE MEASURE OF A POET (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 21st Feb 2018 17:02

Thanks Charlotte for the like . Much appreciated.

Ray

Comment is about TEETH (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 21st Feb 2018 17:01

Gawd 'n Bennett, David I just found your comment, mate. You have voiced my own thoughts in that spirit of playful "sorting out" that used to occur in the old days (so i'm told and seen) me old mucker.

Cheers Ray

Comment is about CRIMINAL WAYS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 21st Feb 2018 16:58

Coming back Mark to say your response is welcome and yes, communities don't just happen - I believe they deepen in meaning with history and particularly with the depth of older residents' memories. These of course can't operate in the kind of invading that you describe for commuting. My parents in law considered a move to Wisbech (new builds) but were just scared off by the isolation of the place. The M40 corridor attracted many centre developments to Oxfordshire, and of course it has the Cotswolds, which are quite protected I imagine. Bring back Betjeman with his hatred of "bogus tudor bars." I think it's ok to write wryly but have a deeper centre - i'm sure you'd agree!

Ray

Comment is about DISTANT VIEWS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 21st Feb 2018 16:47

Wow, after the first flush of comments, more growth! Thanks all. Suki, I usually try to deepen thoughts in endings to make an observation on life, cheers.

Thanks Frances as always it's a pleasure.

Cheers Greg. So glad you came back to say that. As you know, readings are like edges of cliffs, can be too close for comfort. I think David Andrew seemed to nod in approval - which was nice!. Good to see him back.

220 - Very glad you approved !

Ray

Comment is about FIRST JOBS IN THE GARDEN (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Martin Elder

Wed 21st Feb 2018 16:44

Thanks to Ruby Rose Colin suki and Pat for liking and thanks to Tom and Stu for commenting. I have some vivid memories of this old case among many and it's contents. I don't know where form or when . But it made an impression none the less. Dear oh dear, forgetting things , that's slightly worrying!
Thanks again everybody
Martin

Comment is about Hidden treasure (blog)

Original item by Martin Elder

Wed 21st Feb 2018 16:42

Thank you for selecting this poem Charlotte - your comment is welcome. I think if you have a compulsion it would be only natural (not supernatural, haha) to follow it up. There are many things unexplained that can be spontaneous and need examining. I'm sure you will follow your dream in this respect as I did. Keep an open mind at all times!!

Ray

Comment is about RESTLESS SOULS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Ruby

Wed 21st Feb 2018 13:12

Thanks a lot Hannah

Comment is about Dear Love (blog)

Original item by Ruby

Ruby

Wed 21st Feb 2018 13:11

Thanks Hannah

Comment is about Dear Sad Friend (blog)

Original item by Ruby

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 21st Feb 2018 13:09

I was wandering around a Bedouin encampment at Abu Nawar and came upon this magnificent tree. Reminded me of many things including fortitude and this Monty Python sketch.

Unfortunately I could find any Juniper Bushes.

David.

Comment is about Abu Nawar, West Bank..jpg (photo)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 21st Feb 2018 12:38

Seriously, thanks all for your comments whether agreed with or not, they help to confirm just how complex these things are.

I was very frustrated and maybe angry when I wrote that which isn't really good is it, I thought about not posting it because it doesn't seem poetic to my mind. I posted it because it is raw and I think that may help to convey feelings on occasion.

I am aware that this really isn't everyone's cup of cocoa.

Calmer karma now, thank you all.

David.

Comment is about Soap (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wed 21st Feb 2018 12:20

I think the strength of your feeling is amply demonstrated by the direct simplicity of the poem, and that is how it should be. I went to see the poet laureate last night, and this equals her verse : accessible and understandable. It is plain how close some have to live with the "baser instincts," violence and repression and how lucky we are over here.
It must be a constant challenge for you. I would hazard a guess that all your previous knowledge of such situations must be a kind of support, if that makes sense.

Ray

Comment is about Soap (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wed 21st Feb 2018 12:11

A wonderful tone picture like a tapestry and it has your indelible hallmark Tom. Thoughtful and languid, all done without artifice.

Ray

Comment is about Cyclades (blog)

Original item by Tom Harding

Wed 21st Feb 2018 12:07

A gentle jibe at social gatherings is always interesting Brian. This for me has a twist to it as it depicts the failure to impress with panache. Tennis boys out on a beano for me would be the title !!

Ray

Comment is about Wine Bar Night Out (blog)

Original item by Brian Maryon

Brian Maryon

Wed 21st Feb 2018 11:22

Okay Colin. Thanks for 'liking' it anyway.

Comment is about Sophomore sky! (blog)

Original item by Brian Maryon

Laura Taylor

Wed 21st Feb 2018 11:18

Howdy Ray

Soz for the delay - got caught up on stuff and stuff!

Thanks so much for your note on my Valentine poem πŸ˜€ Much appreciated!

Comment is about ray pool (poet profile)

Original item by ray pool

Laura Taylor

Wed 21st Feb 2018 11:17

Hey Pat

Thanks so much for your note on my Valentine poem πŸ˜€

Comment is about Pat Hughes (poet profile)

Original item by Pat Hughes

Laura Taylor

Wed 21st Feb 2018 11:17

Hey Raj

Thanks so much for your note on my Valentine poem πŸ˜€ maybe I'll do that haha πŸ˜€

Comment is about Chakraj (poet profile)

Original item by Chakraj

Chris Armstrong

Wed 21st Feb 2018 11:03

Thanks, both! Its funny how some poems just write themselves and others are a real struggle to get right! This came from a first line - ultimately the first line of the second verse - that I really liked and which described or led into a sentiment - feeling Welsh although born in England and not speaking Welsh. But bringing the rest together was hard work! I hope you feel that an affinity with the land making me Welsh, came through.

Comment is about Mostly Welsh (blog)

Original item by Chris Armstrong

Colin Hill

Wed 21st Feb 2018 11:02

yeah I know. It was fairly obvious. Which is why I left the comment.

Comment is about Sophomore sky! (blog)

Original item by Brian Maryon

Brian Maryon

Wed 21st Feb 2018 10:56

Colin I had no reason for breaking up my work as I did. It was completely random. I just wrote down the first things that came into my head. What the hell is a sophomore sky anyway? The whole thing took 3 minutes and minimal effort.

Comment is about Sophomore sky! (blog)

Original item by Brian Maryon

Colin Hill

Wed 21st Feb 2018 09:20

I agree with both Pat and Tom.

Comment is about Weighed and Measured (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Dominic James

Wed 21st Feb 2018 09:11

Hi Tom
thanks for comment on Ted Crow, I re-read recently (evidently) and found it more personally Hughes at the second pass. I hope all going well at the Northampton Review, I thought the first issue worked very well.
Dom.

Comment is about Tom Harding (poet profile)

Original item by Tom Harding

David Taylor-Jones

Wed 21st Feb 2018 08:34

Lovely poem Chris, I really enjoyed the rhythm and the sentiment, πŸ˜€

Comment is about Mostly Welsh (blog)

Original item by Chris Armstrong

Colin Hill

Wed 21st Feb 2018 08:23

for the same reason that Chris Armstrong gave to your questioning of his use of the broken line structure in his poem 'Aberystwyth Scenes, 1970'

Comment is about Sophomore sky! (blog)

Original item by Brian Maryon

Colin Hill

Wed 21st Feb 2018 08:02

CPD Suki - Compulsive Poetry Disorder - we just can't help ourselves!

Comment is about Crimewatch Verses Spartacus ~ Blame Russia (blog)

Original item by Suki Spangles

Colin Hill

Wed 21st Feb 2018 08:00

thanks Tom, I love writing it and am trying to turn all the memories into a poetry/prose travel book - hence this one sneaking out onto the pages of WoL. Cheers, Col.

Comment is about as if from water cannons at a riot (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Maxine

Wed 21st Feb 2018 02:51

We tend to only hear the woman’s story, this needs to be said.

Comment is about #Me Too (blog)

Original item by Louis Audet

Wed 21st Feb 2018 00:08

A country is lines on a map; Allah is invoked by those who have murdered her family; the killers wish to impose thier version of Mohamed and thier shape of the lines, and as a twist there's the oil.
A powerful piece Rose and you no doubt echo the fear and anger of millions of women in the Middle East.
The deities can wait as can the lines, there are more urgent demands upon them.

Well said Rose
Tommy

Comment is about Syrian woman defying violations of home (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Tom Harding

Tue 20th Feb 2018 23:37

some very vivid and effective imagery here Martin

Comment is about Hidden treasure (blog)

Original item by Martin Elder

Tom Harding

Tue 20th Feb 2018 23:36

agree a beautiful nod to a great work

Comment is about Ted Crow (blog)

Original item by Dominic James

Tom Harding

Tue 20th Feb 2018 23:35

I love this travelogue style Colin, very nice and naturally written.

Comment is about as if from water cannons at a riot (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Tom Harding

Tue 20th Feb 2018 23:33

weighty poem Graham, I particularly enjoyed the last line.

Comment is about Weighed and Measured (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Tom Harding

Tue 20th Feb 2018 23:25

David, very interesting and stimulating stuff... i think we all feel that anger/ self loathing at times for the little we can and can't do. i enjoyed the direct approach.

Comment is about Soap (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Tom Harding

Tue 20th Feb 2018 23:16

hey thank you both. I know David I've been kind of stuck on the night poems for awhile now... I was thinking I need to have a change and write some 'day poems' but it just dosen't come naturally. thanks for the kind words though- always very encouraging.

Comment is about 4am (blog)

Original item by Tom Harding

Tue 20th Feb 2018 23:06

Indeed Brian. But it still is worth repeating. Nicola :- )
Tommy

Comment is about Let it be (blog)

Original item by Nicola Byrnes

Janine Armentrout

Tue 20th Feb 2018 22:46

This was an absolutely stunning poem and I was overwhelmed with the pain and love and sorrow and tragedy all at once throughout this piece. It hits close to home as my friend went through this, I plan to read more of your work.

Comment is about To the Man I Once Called Daddy (blog)

Original item by invisible

suki spangles

Tue 20th Feb 2018 22:41

Hi there folks,

Cheers so much for all your comments and feedback, and your time. I sometimes wonder what the heck I'm doing writing/sharing this stuff. Well, we all need a hobby!

Suki

Comment is about Crimewatch Verses Spartacus ~ Blame Russia (blog)

Original item by Suki Spangles

Pat Hughes

Tue 20th Feb 2018 22:28

Fantastic poem!

Comment is about Weighed and Measured (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Pat Hughes

Tue 20th Feb 2018 22:25

It's sad when we clump people together because of their skin colour,nationality or religion.
I prefer to treat every person as an individual.
It seems to me there is always an epidemic of hate,if its not the blacks,its the Arabs,the Irish,we just love to hate it seems,I guess it stops us from examining our conscience as a nation.

Comment is about Soap (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

◄ Prev1234 … 216 … 432 … 648 … 864 … 1080 … 1296 … 1512 … 1728 … 1944 … 215321542155Next ►