Isobel

Tue 11th Dec 2012 09:37

To begin at the beginning:

It is winter, moonless night in the small town, starless and bible-black, cobblestreets silent but for the full throated mirth and cheer of one small tavern, its streets sloeblack, slow black, crowblack, but for the chink of light, the heat, the warmth, the words that leak and seep through leaded light into the silence of that night. For not all the people of the lulled and dumbfound town are sleeping now…

Comment is about BBC to mark Dylan Thomas centenary with film about poet's last days (article)

Isobel

Tue 11th Dec 2012 09:01

Come share your Dylan-esqe poetry at the Wigan WOL Tudor Christmas bash this Thursday. As well as whisky, vodka and gin swillers, we are also great culture vultures!

Isobel

Tue 11th Dec 2012 08:33

Great performance and poem,Laura - I really enjoyed this.

The only thing I'm not so sure about is the crying. I think crying for women is quite accepted. It seems to be more frowned on for a man though. Small wonder pent up emotions lead to aggression - a good boo hoo does the soul wonders!

Comment is about Unsolicited (1968 - 2012) - on Youtube (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Isobel

Tue 11th Dec 2012 08:25

You paint a great picture with this Harry - I can so imagine the scene and love the poetry in it.
– the hurl of tautened muscle
And fasten of fang and claw in flesh –

That's gripping stuff!

Comment is about LEO`S DREAM (blog)

Isobel

Tue 11th Dec 2012 08:15

I'm glad someone did something for the passing of Patrick Moore. I think you've captured his essence well. It was the sense of wonder he instilled. His hyper intelligence just shone out of him - in a non condescending way.

What a fitting tribute Mike!

Comment is about One Fine Gentleman (blog)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Francine

Tue 11th Dec 2012 00:22

Hello? Hello? Hello?
Is there anybody in there?

Comment is about Alvin Guinessberg (poet profile)

Original item by Alvin Guinessberg

Mon 10th Dec 2012 22:46

Cor blimey Steve! you are run off your feet!.xx

Comment is about Sunday Afternoon (blog)

Original item by Steve

Jeff Dawson

Mon 10th Dec 2012 22:35

thanx for your comment on my latest poem lucy, hope you're okay hun X

Comment is about MissLucy (poet profile)

Original item by MissLucy

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Mon 10th Dec 2012 22:32

Thank you, Hugh!

Comment is about How Many Questions Our Life Arise? (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Isobel

Mon 10th Dec 2012 21:47

You've brought to mind a bit of philosophy I recently heard.

"The whole is more than the sum of all its parts"

I wonder if this is what Aristotle had in mind?

Comment is about The Naming of the Parts (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Mikhail Smith

Mon 10th Dec 2012 21:33

Alison. I think the blank canvas is more exciting - once disturbed the surface becomes a battleground - with the first brushstroke you've already lost -.

Comment is about Blank (blog)

Original item by Alison Mary Dunn

Mikhail Smith

Mon 10th Dec 2012 21:05

Thanks for the comment Jeff - hope to visit one of your venues.

Comment is about Jeffarama! (poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

Mikhail Smith

Mon 10th Dec 2012 21:00

.. thanks for looking Tommy .. I've read all your list above .. there's one missing .. " the price of freedom is eternal vigilance " .. we've all stopped watching ..

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Harry O'Neill

Mon 10th Dec 2012 20:36

Aye, aye, John,...rein it in! (I was `avin me tea!)

Comment is about The Naming of the Parts (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

tony sheridan

Mon 10th Dec 2012 19:32

I like this! Take care, Tony.

Comment is about Cooking for the Infidel (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Hugh

Mon 10th Dec 2012 19:18

An enjoyable read.Well done !

Comment is about How Many Questions Our Life Arise? (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Steve Higgins

Mon 10th Dec 2012 18:46

The BBC made a similar film in 1978 called simply 'Dylan' starring Ronald lacey (you may remember him as a nazi in Raiders of the Lost Ark)Laceys performance was exceptional and its something worth re showing on TV.

Steve Higgins

Mon 10th Dec 2012 18:28

You're right MC. I like work with a good verse and a good -I was going to say ryhme but thats not stictly true, I like a good rythym and something with a good lyrical quality, and yes, something thats uplifting rather than negative or downbeat is always appealing.
Steve

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

steve pottinger

Mon 10th Dec 2012 17:31

Thanks very much, Laura!

Comment is about No-one likes an angry poet on Youtube (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

Julian (Admin)

Mon 10th Dec 2012 16:54

Excellent Laura. More power to your elbow.

Comment is about Unsolicited (1968 - 2012) - on Youtube (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Julian (Admin)

Mon 10th Dec 2012 15:45

He'd have fitted in well in Wigan!

Laura Taylor

Mon 10th Dec 2012 15:12

Some wonderful lines in this Rach - love that second verse, and am liking the humour you've brought in to it too

See you Thursday! I was going to dress up but I've got fuck all to wear ;D

Comment is about Pearls and Swine (blog)

Original item by Rachel Bond

Laura Taylor

Mon 10th Dec 2012 15:10

Heh - made me chuckle, Chris :)

It's that time of the year when I am bearing a permanent sneer, especially on the drive home from work, with all the bloody decs up. How many bulbs dya need? Must be 72 on your front shrub alone!!

Comment is about Heaven Sent - body missed (blog)

Original item by Chris Co

Laura Taylor

Mon 10th Dec 2012 15:09

Excellent performance Steve - really enjoyed this :)

Comment is about No-one likes an angry poet on Youtube (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

Ann Foxglove

Mon 10th Dec 2012 13:34

Hi Alexandra - welcome to WOL. Your poem brought back a memory to me - my teddy's head fell off onec too - into next doors garden! Luckily he got his head back and my mum sewed it on again! Hope you enjoy the WOL experience!

Comment is about Alexandra Carr-Malcolm (poet profile)

Original item by Alexandra Carr-Malcolm

Ann Foxglove

Mon 10th Dec 2012 13:30

Hi Anna - welcome to WOL.

Comment is about Anna Grinter (poet profile)

Original item by Anna Grinter

Mon 10th Dec 2012 13:09

Hello Steve - I appreciate the kindness of your
comment on "Spare Us". I suppose it came to mind in response to a lot of the negative (to
me) positions taken in poetry nowadays - and
the approach to Christmas also seemed a good
time to be positive about the gift of life!
I note from the rhythm in your own words that
you enjoy the appeal of verse. We belong to
a club that may be somewhat out of fashion but
never fails to offer its members a window for
"seeing" and responding to the wider world.
All good wishes...
MC

Comment is about Steve (poet profile)

Original item by Steve

Isobel

Mon 10th Dec 2012 12:44

Oh Anthony - you are awful! Only you would have thought to run your cursor over that picture. Perhaps it needs some further explanation. You have to run the cursor over whilst at the same time depressing your index finger - that way you get the sign :)

That's a really gross picture John but I love the idea of it representing Pinkie and Perkie with just a perineum between them!

I'm impressed that you've acquired some technical knowledge John - now perhaps you can start learning what to do with those parts :)

Comment is about The Naming of the Parts (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Anthony Emmerson

Mon 10th Dec 2012 12:07

Hi Ray,

Topical (on two fronts) and inventive, but these lines lost me:

"and I have seen his ears stand"

"who undercuts the living down"

Maybe it's part of the colloquial you are using, or maybe (more likely) me being thick.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Nativity (blog)

Original item by Ray Miller

Nigel Astell

Mon 10th Dec 2012 11:50

I have asked Santa or is that Julian in a long red coat with a funny white beard for some books to bring along for tonight!

Comment is about Stockport WoL (group profile)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Greg Freeman

Mon 10th Dec 2012 11:46

Results of the 2012 competition here http://www.prolebooks.co.uk/page6.html

Comment is about Prole magazine looks for new laureate (article)

Julian (Admin)

Mon 10th Dec 2012 11:30

excellent reportage from the Broadhurst family Christmas Paul. Good hear from you and to have seen you at the poetry jam. Keep up the good work!

Comment is about Paul Broadhurst (poet profile)

Original item by Paul Broadhurst

Julian (Admin)

Mon 10th Dec 2012 10:08

So true, Anthony. at the risk of turning this into a dissertation, your comment invites mention of the countless research reports that have pointed out the need for young people to have imagination, creativity and thinking skills rather than 'followership' skills. In the 80s when the Thatcher government was demanding more-vocational education with technical, work-related skills, successful Japanese companies were saying they could teach the technical stuff to their employees, what they wanted were young people with a good broad education, adaptability etc. Ditto the Cambridge Industrial Training Research Unit's A-Z study...
Stuff the government. I know, let's have a revolution! come on. Tonight, once the pub's shut.

Comment is about Poetry by heart: Gove and Motion launch national schools recitation competition (article)

Steve Higgins

Mon 10th Dec 2012 03:13

Enjoyed this very much MC,
-Steve

Comment is about SPARE US (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Anthony Emmerson

Mon 10th Dec 2012 01:20

Madness? Don't worry Katy, I've got shedloads, and plenty to spare. Maybe Santa could drop some off for you?

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Reflection (blog)

Original item by Katy Megan Hughes

Anthony Emmerson

Mon 10th Dec 2012 01:10

I totally agree with you Julian/Isobel. Although I don't have children I feel that there is a great imbalance in our education system. Maybe this is due to the view that schools need to equip children for the employment market, which chooses its recruits via how many academic, one-size-fits-all qualifications they have achieved, Somewhere along the line creativity and free-thinking have become casualties of this philosophy. The vast majority of today's employees are little more than automata, carrying out mindless repetitive tasks with no input into how that work is done, or say in how their employers "manage" the organisation. I feel this stifling of creativity has a much greater effect on both the individual and society than we realise. It fosters a huge amout of dissatisfaction and resentment and inhibits progress and invention, which has to be unhealthy for both society and the individual.

In the future we may look back on this particular aspect of the way society and employment currently operate with both regret and revulsion . . . at least I hope we will . . .

Anthony Emmerson

Mon 10th Dec 2012 00:55

I can't really comment on the poem John, as the technical terms you are using are all unfamiliar to me. Love the accompanying pic of David Cameron and George Osborne though. (I'm guessing, but I think that might be a perineum between them.)

Regards,
A.E.

p.s. Just had a strange deja vu experience! Move your cursor over the pic and check out the label it produces - well I never!

Comment is about The Naming of the Parts (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Mon 10th Dec 2012 00:04

haha indeed ;o)

Comment is about Mikhail Smith (poet profile)

Original item by Mikhail Smith

tony sheridan

Sun 9th Dec 2012 21:56

What can I say?...... More audios please. Take care, Tony.

Comment is about chemical machanics; part two ; knowing enough to understand no one will care (blog)

Original item by SPACEGHOST

tony sheridan

Sun 9th Dec 2012 21:51

LOVE THIS! More audios please. Your poems sound Brill. Going to listen to part two. Take care, Tony.

Comment is about chemical machanics; part one ; the theory and practice of oligarchical collectivism (blog)

Original item by SPACEGHOST

Jeff Dawson

Sun 9th Dec 2012 21:46

Great writing, powerful stuff and well put together.

Comment is about 4-12-12. (blog)

Original item by Mikhail Smith

tony sheridan

Sun 9th Dec 2012 21:27

Like your sample poem Denis. Last two lines are spot on! Take care,Tony.

Comment is about Denis (poet profile)

Original item by Denis

Roy Chetham

Sun 9th Dec 2012 21:07

It is always good to read a poem that is positive and cheerful for a change and what an unusual and VISIONARY subject you have chosen!

Comment is about ............ EYE'S ......... (blog)

Original item by Lesley Whittaker

Sun 9th Dec 2012 20:48

A thought - if super glue can be used for helping to heal wounds, why not the hymen? Also - brought on by JC's lines...
Is it goodbye to words like foreplay and lube
Once science makes new life in a test-tube?

Comment is about The Naming of the Parts (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Sun 9th Dec 2012 18:11

Nice sentiment, MC.
So many feel poetry has to be weighty or angry or carping. It can be - but it doesn't have to be.
And for me I'm afraid I tire of its "worthiness"!

Comment is about SPARE US (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Sun 9th Dec 2012 17:18

hello Anthony,
Glad you liked "If". Yes, the "skunk'll/uncle" rhyme needed a bit of knocking in!

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Sun 9th Dec 2012 17:17

Hello MC,
Glad you liked "If". I had a lot of time for Cloughie - probably the best manager I've seen.
He took 2 mediocre teams from the lower divisions, Forest and Derby, and won 2 Championships and 2 European Cups with them.

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Sun 9th Dec 2012 17:13

Hello Mike
Glad you liked "If". Yes, I bet Cloughie's watching the matches with interest.

Comment is about Mike Hilton (poet profile)

Original item by Mike Hilton

Jeff Dawson

Sun 9th Dec 2012 16:18

Hi Mikhail, welcome to WOL, sorry for delay in replying to cadence Qs, if you want to add me on facebook I can keep you informed of future events in addition to info on here.

I also organise Bolton poetry noghts if you fancy that, been very busy lately but will catch up with your work soon, cheers Jeff

Comment is about Mikhail Smith (poet profile)

Original item by Mikhail Smith

steve pottinger

Sun 9th Dec 2012 15:59

Thanks very much for the kind words, Julian. Hugely appreciated. And yes, it's hard not to feel sorr - Oh. No, it isn't. ;-)

Comment is about No-one likes an angry poet on Youtube (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

◄ Prev123 … 236 … 472 … 708 … 944 … 1180 … 12641265126612671268 … 1416 … 1652 … 1888 … 2124 … 234923502351Next ►