Helen Elliott

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 20:26

Hey, thanks for the comments on Wednesday's Child. I didn't have any maternal instinct at all. Didn't want kids, didn't like kids. But then I had a couple and luckily (for them) the instinct kicked in!

I love funny poems, especially ones that are written by women. I have tried my hand at a few myself. I always try and start with a funny one at open mic before I leave the room suicidal with the deeper ones :) My only problem is that I get incredibly embarrassed if people laugh at my jokes, which leaves me with a 'riddy' as it's known in Scotland.

Think I might need to purchase your book, anything to give me break from myself ;)

Comment is about Louise Etheridge (poet profile)

Original item by Louise Etheridge

Rose Casserley

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 20:15

Hi Cynthia-another helpful,advisory gauntlet you have thrown down.The idea is indeed captivating.

As the intentions of 'later' comes to mind,I say-

Thank you!

Hi also,Tony.Pardon my using well worn words,
but, praise from you really DOES mean a lot.

x

Comment is about Folding (blog)

David Moore

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 19:08

I love your observations. I associate this with industrial decline on the Clyde and the closing of shipyards. The way you have captured that is masterly to me.

I am familiar with the West Coast of Scotland and the Clyde, so I really sense the nostalgia of the piece.

Very nice indeed.

Comment is about lawn (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Darren Scanlon

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 18:34

I'm 50 next month, Preeti but hey ho, it's just a number. I will always be 12yrs old in my heart and soul.

I agree with Graham, never regret anything. Go for every opportunity that your life offers you, grab it with both hands and never let go.

Above all else, enjoy every minute of every day and Keep Smiling

Comment is about Turning 24 (blog)

Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 15:33

"The points are not the point – the point is poetry."

What a fantastic night this was. Crammed from start to finish with poetry, talent, passion, truth, music and joy.

As a poetry slam virgin I was half expecting this poetry slam to be all about egos and hot air. It may be so in some quarters but not at all the case as far as this event is concerned. The poetry slam section was the main part of the event and poetry was the heart and soul of the experience throughout the evening.

Nicole May and LyriCalligraphy were brilliant hosts whose participation enhanced and almost seemed to empower the performances. Freestyle Fictionary had me in stitches. The band 8 Gold Rings delivered excellence and what can I write about Kid Katharsis except if he isn’t signed up to a record label he should and will be soon.

One Mic Stand enthused me to the degree I took to the stage in the “jam session” and performed.

If you get the chance to go to one of these events in the future – take it!

Review is about One Mic Stand on 19 Jun 2015 (event)

David Moore

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 14:44

Ray, are we sharing the same nightly visitations? Sometimes beautiful dreams bring the greatest sadness.

I really enjoyed this piece.

Comment is about WHAT WE HOPE TO GAIN (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Nigel Astell

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 14:41

on Sarah's writing

Here

Not far from where we sit casting our minds outside

we run

we write

inspired by our writing workshop the full version can be seen on the Unpicked: Restitched website.

Comment is about Stockport WoL (group profile)

Original item by Stockport WoL

GAURAV JAIN

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 14:04

HUW THOMAS sir,

did u get actual meaning of poem from this translation???

may be didn't. isn't it??
because this translation is not right n improper.
i know u r using google translation for that.

but u don't worry.
i'll upload full English version of this poem as soon as possible.

thank u very much for read out my poem n translate it.

best wishes for u

Comment is about Rules of Success ( Kamyabi ke Niyam ) (blog)

Original item by GAURAV JAIN

Lynn Hamilton

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 13:11

Good Afternoon Cynthia and thank you for reading the 19th Floor. Your comment is much appreciated and I can not begin to express how pleased I am with the feedback this piece has received.

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 09:49

Two pieces of advice from a dinosaur Preeti. 50 isn't that magical and whatever you get up to don't regret anything!

I sense in your piece that you are filing away the real you and embarking on an adventure as an almost fictitious person.

Whatever you do don't forget the file on the top shelf!

Graham

Comment is about Turning 24 (blog)

Preeti Sinha

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 09:28

I feel like this most days ! You write with so much honesty that I can identify with almost everything you talk about....

Comment is about I Don't Want To (blog)

Natalie Audoire

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 09:26

Hey Cynthia, just to let you know that I am having to delete my profile and change my name due to work/confidentiality/boundaries etc. I will message you when I am back up and running again as don't want to lost touch. :) x

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Preeti Sinha

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 09:26

Quite a night. Right up my street ;) Is she alive?

Comment is about Red White and Burbank- Deathy and the Dive (blog)

Original item by Corr Lens

Natalie Audoire

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 09:26

Hey Graham, just to let you know that I am having to delete my profile and change my name due to work/confidentiality/boundaries etc. I will message you when I am back up and running again as don't want to lost touch. :) x

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Preeti Sinha

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 09:25

Thanks for the read and the comments !

Comment is about Corr Lens (poet profile)

Original item by Corr Lens

Natalie Audoire

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 09:24

Hey Laura, just to let you know that I am having to delete my profile and change my name due to work/confidentiality/boundaries etc. I will message you when I am back up and running again as don't want to lost touch. :) x

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 07:18

Welcome Ariel, write and write again. :-) Tommy

Comment is about Ariel Eli (poet profile)

Original item by Ariel Eli

GAURAV JAIN

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 07:15

ya sure .............
i'll post whole of the poem in hindi.

(कामयाबी के नियम)

कामयाबी उसी के क़दमों में होती हे
जो अपने घमंड को इंसानियत में लगाता हो
जिद्द को जो पालना जानता हो !

व्यव्हार में जिसके प्यार हो
जिसका दिल उदार हो
मेहनत जिसका हथियार हो
हार मानना जिसको गवारा नही !

जिसको लगता किसी का सहारा नही
रखता हो जो जस्बा पहाड़ो में चड़ने का
तुफ्हानो के बिच रहकर जो हुआ हो बड़ा !

गिरकर जो उठना जानता है
मुश्किलों में भी जो कदम बढाता है
करता नही हो जो किसी का बुरा
असल मायने में इंसान भी वही कहलाता है!

Comment is about Rules of Success ( Kamyabi ke Niyam ) (blog)

Original item by GAURAV JAIN

Rebecca Miller

Mon 22nd Jun 2015 01:24

This. This I have liked from the first line to the last line. And it is a great last time ;)

Comment is about taxi (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

David Moore

Sun 21st Jun 2015 23:21

Hi Louise, thanks I got the link this time.

Very good, excellent delivery. It has everything, sex and violence!

Thanks.

PS, I have seen far worse cushions.

Comment is about I get the word "snatch" into the Daily Telegraph - 10 points to me! (blog)

Original item by Louise Etheridge

Louise

Sun 21st Jun 2015 22:47

I really like your poems, Helen. I have absolutely not a jot of maternal instinct nor any understanding of being a mother but Wednesday's Child was very strong for me.

(p.s. don't worry I'm not a mother, I'd leave them on the bus)

Comment is about Helen (poet profile)

Original item by Helen

Louise

Sun 21st Jun 2015 22:44

Thanks, Helen, and the ad is soooo funny! I love Irn Bru ads but I've never seen that one. That is class. I'm going to share it on FB, so thanks for the heads up!
LX

Comment is about Fannies (blog)

Original item by Louise Etheridge

Helen Elliott

Sun 21st Jun 2015 22:24

Louise, this is hilarious! I can't stop laughing. So many great lines. Put me in mind of this Irn Bru advert

Comment is about Fannies (blog)

Original item by Louise Etheridge

Louise

Sun 21st Jun 2015 22:12

Thank you for your nice comments, Tommy. I don't always write poems about fannies but that one fell out of my head on a walk so I thought I might as well write it down as not. Glad you liked it!
I've got a book of what I like to call "poems" on Amazon - mostly rude or irreverent or a bit bonkers. Just because. It's called Slightly Wrong. I like a good bishop poem.

And here's me in the Telegraph (I didn't explode despite the fear, me being a bit of a leftie and all)

Comment is about Fannies (blog)

Original item by Louise Etheridge

Louise

Sun 21st Jun 2015 22:09

So very,very true, David!
I'm sorry you can't open the video - it worked for me just now.
This is the link below - try and copy and paste. How scary is my cushion (not a euphemism!)
I don't always write poetry about body parts.

Original item by Louise Etheridge

Sun 21st Jun 2015 20:44

Haha

Comment is about David R Mellor (poet profile)

Original item by David R Mellor

Tony Hill

Sun 21st Jun 2015 19:45

Hi,
A very moving poem, David, especially the final stanza.
Tony

Comment is about Absent Father’s Day (blog)

Original item by David R Mellor

Tony Hill

Sun 21st Jun 2015 19:25

Hello Lynn,
I have never seen a Star Wars movie. Your poem has inspired my to rectify that situation.
Tony

Comment is about ATTIC DARTH VADER (blog)

Sun 21st Jun 2015 17:18

A very readable report of an event which intrigues me.
The danger of ranting becoming ineffective is no different
to the reception afforded to someone doing something
similar out on the street - puzzled exchanged smiles of patient exasperation and pity for the individual brought
down to behaving in such an extraordinary manner. The
British are just not into ranting...sorry! It's just another
form of extremism that rarely succeeds in our society.
Of course, this sees rants at the perceived lack of understanding for its existence. It's a hard old world!
Oh - someone tell LK Johnson that the Met. Police didn't
declare war on his generation...they put up stop signs
on the sort of behaviour and self-regulating codes of
conduct that saw drugs and crime become impertinently
blatant in the streets, with today's "Operation Trident"
merely the official recognition of what was happening
and which was created to combat the ever-growing problem among one section of (largely metropolitan) society in post-war Britain. I hear little of the fact
that Jamaica has had a reported crime rate that rivals
cities like New York. Importing that sort of social aberration into the UK can only add to its generational
social problems, even worse when exploited via a
historical "victim" mentality and agenda. It's a hard
old world!

Comment is about Still angry after all these years: heroes of Ranting poetry keep the flame alive (article)

Stu Buck

Sun 21st Jun 2015 17:14

Hello,
Thanks for the kind comments. Indeed I had hoped to portray this in the poem. This is actually an embellishment on something that happened to me a few years ago, but rather than end in a sweeping, bukowski-esque statement i ended up having to move away sharpish from the bloke who was clearly drunk!

im really glad you liked the piece, as a writer who is just starting to feel a little confident in his work, i can assure you every heartfelt compliment is very much appreciated.

Comment is about maize (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

David Moore

Sun 21st Jun 2015 17:09

Forgive the profanity, but it wouldn't be the first time there was a c--- in the Daily Telegraph.

Incidentally, I can't open the video of the reading.

Original item by Louise Etheridge

David Moore

Sun 21st Jun 2015 16:33

Huw, I agree. I think Stu has portrayed that thought perfectly, in the hands raised to the sky gesture, encompassing everything under the Sun. I think that is what his intention was, but obviously I couldn't say for sure. If not it is certainly how I interpreted it.

Very much liked it.

Comment is about maize (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Sun 21st Jun 2015 15:10

I'm so impressed with 'fannies' that I have to say how impressed I am by it. So much so the 'C' word Immediately came to mind: 'Cradock'.

Comment is about Fannies (blog)

Original item by Louise Etheridge

David Moore

Sun 21st Jun 2015 14:32

Beautifully observed and related. Thank you.

Comment is about maize (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Sun 21st Jun 2015 13:47

Fannies...that reminds me I have to prune my roses. How have I missed your work Louise?

Comment is about Fannies (blog)

Original item by Louise Etheridge

GAURAV JAIN

Sun 21st Jun 2015 12:12

yes mr. hus thomas, its a hindi language

Comment is about Rules of Success ( Kamyabi ke Niyam ) (blog)

Original item by GAURAV JAIN

Tony Hill

Sun 21st Jun 2015 09:11

Hello,
Read this short poem yesterday and it lingered. It's the fourth line, which sounds pleasingly anachronistic. Lovely.

Comment is about Folding (blog)

Sat 20th Jun 2015 21:41

Thanks MC for your comments on "its funny how religion arrives" I think you summed it up perfectly.

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Sat 20th Jun 2015 21:35

Thanks Tommy , consider yourself in as long as you think the same as me! I 've just tuned in to your work, and I love the insistence and remorseless character of it.
Appreciate your interest. Ray

Comment is about UNDUE CEREMONY (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Katy Megan Hughes

Sat 20th Jun 2015 19:53

Ripened indeed! ; )

Comment is about Nigel Astell (poet profile)

Original item by Nigel Astell

Katy Megan Hughes

Sat 20th Jun 2015 19:52

you guessed right Cynthia *blushing*
It was a bit of a poetic challenge I set myself and to try not and be crude and obvious, a bit tricky!

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Sat 20th Jun 2015 19:32

First post on writing poetry:

rule one- there are no rules
rule two- feel free to ignore rule one

...more to follow

Comment is about Runners High (blog)

Original item by Ash

Sat 20th Jun 2015 19:19

Nearly there :-)

Comment is about Polly Lane (blog)

Original item by Ash

Preeti Sinha

Sat 20th Jun 2015 18:24

Hi Cynthia, thanks for the read and the comments :) My line breaks follow my thoughts which meander and can be chaotic, coming back to the original idea after a bit. I am not a huge fan of anything organized: religion, rhyme or lifestyle. Recently in a shopping mall in Dubai, I saw this kid claw the carpet, refusing to get up on being denied a phone. The mother couldn't get him off, so the reference to the spoon and child, or should I, at the risk of being politically incorrect, say a spoiled brat ;)

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Ashley Limon

Sat 20th Jun 2015 18:07

Thanks Tommy!

Comment is about Ash (poet profile)

Original item by Ash

Sat 20th Jun 2015 16:40

It is an interesting conumdrum for those who believe in
religion that humanity is given a mind that has evolved
to question its tales from two thousand years ago and
can thus doubt their efficacy except as a crutch for
those in need of it. The purpose of religion has been
the struggle for control of other men's minds and bodies
from a very young easily influenced age. "Once upon
a time" still holds a fascination as people mature (?) -
and even now, in parts of the world, it still affects
the peace and well-being of the human race when logic
and reason are seldom employed in securing a stable and
improving future. My own view?
"Whenever mankind looks to gods
It's likely men will be at odds!"

Comment is about IT'S FUNNY HOW RELIGION ARRIVES (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Sat 20th Jun 2015 16:33

I am really not sure and more than a little concerned about this appointment. I suppose the title phrase "bring things up to date" is part of my disquiet.

If Armitage sees his raison d'etre to be a modernizer he could do more damage than good.

He is obviously a popular choice (the parallel with CAD's appointment as poet laureate does not go unnoticed) and will clearly try to embed the current X-factor profile of performance poetry into the bosom of academia.

The problem I have is with his most likely legacy. In my opinion CAD has done little to justify her (popular) Laureate appointment and SA's smacks of something similar.

Armitage is undoubtedly a talented performer but in the big chair of one of our most prestigious establishments, I fear for his future credibility.

Comment is about Simon Armitage wins Oxford professor of poetry election (article)

David Moore

Sat 20th Jun 2015 16:32

Mark, of course artistic licence is always granted and should always be accepted, and I do. I rather got the impression your piece was directed at one particular current grouping, and I agree within that grouping there are those who display a lack of understanding and the thuggish traits you describe.

So my point was really, that such despisers of true democracy (an ambiguous term) are present in all political persuasions, and not exclusive to any.

Comment is about THE SOCIALIST SHIRKERS PARTY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

David Moore

Sat 20th Jun 2015 16:28

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Sat 20th Jun 2015 16:27

AWR - Always With Respect.

I meant 'nastiness' as your poetical intent, your 'judgement' on 'judgement'. Huw's comments are always very particular, and reasoned.

Comment is about Judgements (blog)

◄ Prev123 … 211 … 422 … 631632633634635 … 844 … 1055 … 1266 … 1477 … 1688 … 1899 … 210121022103Next ►