Hugh

Fri 16th Nov 2018 12:40

Mum loved gardening
When spring came she was happy
And she wet her plants

Comment is about Three Haikus (blog)

Original item by jennifer Malden

Hannah Collins

Fri 16th Nov 2018 12:37

Fantastic, great, funny.
Love it.

Hannah

Comment is about Desire (blog)

Original item by hugh

Hannah Collins

Fri 16th Nov 2018 12:35

This is a beautiful poem.
I notice leaves, the different colours and textures and sizes and as you show in your poem, torn down by the winds.

Hannah

Comment is about Autumn leaves to be reborn (blog)

Original item by Jon Stainsby

Anya

Fri 16th Nov 2018 12:32

πŸ˜†πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ x

Comment is about Desire (blog)

Original item by hugh

Anya

Fri 16th Nov 2018 12:24

Love it Hugh!!! Thank you!!! 😘

Comment is about The Umbrella Haiku (blog)

Original item by Anya

Hugh

Fri 16th Nov 2018 12:14

A Rhianna haiku

What's come over you girl
A shelter to keep you dry
called an umbrella

Comment is about The Umbrella Haiku (blog)

Original item by Anya

Anya

Fri 16th Nov 2018 11:48

Brilliant! 😘

Comment is about Glenbrittle – the loch. (blog)

Original item by Alan Travis Braddock

Anya

Fri 16th Nov 2018 11:46

Amazing writing! Jon you shine! 😘

Comment is about Autumn leaves to be reborn (blog)

Original item by Jon Stainsby

Anya

Fri 16th Nov 2018 11:43

Hi there!

Thank you Beno! Oh yes! Of course Rihanna’s song! 😘

Thank you so much for liking this little poem ; Kevin, Keith, Desmond, Taylor, Jon, Krysya and Hale!

So kind of you!!! 😘😘😘

Comment is about The Umbrella Haiku (blog)

Original item by Anya

Beno

Fri 16th Nov 2018 10:23

Shades of Rihanna.
Like it.

Comment is about The Umbrella Haiku (blog)

Original item by Anya

Bruce Levine

Fri 16th Nov 2018 02:41

Taylor,

Thank you for your comment and I look forward to reading more of your pieces.

Bruce

Comment is about On a Roller-Coaster of Fate (blog)

Original item by Bruce Levine

Bruce Levine

Fri 16th Nov 2018 02:38

Keith,

As always your perception and deep understanding excites my thinking. Thank you for another extraordinary comment. Whenever you write it's always with such kindness and heartfelt words. Thank you. Bruce

Comment is about On a Roller-Coaster of Fate (blog)

Original item by Bruce Levine

Brian Maryon

Fri 16th Nov 2018 00:41

Thanks guys. Thought we might get a debate going but it wasn't to be.

Comment is about Sex Offender (blog)

Original item by Brian Maryon

Don Matthews

Thu 15th Nov 2018 22:28

Very nice Keith 😎

Comment is about Down Under (blog)

Original item by keith jeffries

Beno

Thu 15th Nov 2018 22:00

I enjoyed this poem very, very, much.
The imagery it created for me took me to places I love very much and miss when I'm not there. I can't wait to return in January and you have inspired to do some writing why I'm there.
Thanks for posting this Mr Braddock. It's helped me chill out after a hard day in intensive care. I'm going to sit with my whiskey in hand and mull over it a few more times.

Comment is about Glenbrittle – the loch. (blog)

Original item by Alan Travis Braddock

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 21:58

cheers David
I suspect that though our war experiences are miles apart with regard to war - we are very close on how we view its remembrance. My own experience comes from my father - and your own words reflect the sentiment I showed to his experiences and attitudes to the aftermath in my 'Bayonet In The Shed'.
I think you are also right about the glut of poetry that's surfaced this year on the poppy theme - in defence my own was a response to the manner in which people had criticised me for wearing a white poppy - even though I'd worn the red one with it - so this wasn't (necessarily) about the armistice remembrance - but of something that came about because of it - and my response to that.
Because my dad was a sergeant major - and even though he never talked about it - he brought it home in his manners and his attitude to having children. He was very regimental and expected orders to be followed. Looking back I get it totally now - not so much at the time :-)
I do appreciate your poetry on these matters - so will keep an interested eye on how you deal with the topic if you decide to do so.
Amid all the hot air and flak - and plenty of duds - that fly around on WOL - I think you have the greatest right to make the point above all of us.
Keep safe
Ian

Comment is about Wolfgar (poet profile)

Original item by Wolfgar

keith jeffries

Thu 15th Nov 2018 21:09

You paint a dark landscape of what has become a reality in many parts of the land. Is this what we have come down to? I think so as you rightly say there is no turning back. A hapless people.

The poem describes well a scene familiar to many but such is its content that we mentally cast a sideways glance.

Keith

Comment is about Inner City Blues (blog)

Original item by John E Marks

Taylor Crowshaw

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:58

A beautiful nostalgic poem Fred enjoyed it immensely..πŸ’•

Comment is about Sweet Memories (blog)

Original item by Fred Varden

Taylor Crowshaw

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:56

Wonderful Lynn πŸ˜ƒ

Comment is about GOODBYE MY LOVE (blog)

Original item by lynn hahn

Taylor Crowshaw

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:54

Another interesting subject Don..πŸ˜‚

Comment is about 69 t0 45 (blog)

Original item by Don Matthews

Taylor Crowshaw

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:51

A beautiful tribute Kate..πŸ’•

Comment is about Daddy's Girl (blog)

Original item by Kate G

Damon Blackery

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:50

Thank's

Comment is about 3:32 AM (blog)

Original item by Damon Blackery

Taylor Crowshaw

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:50

Tastey...HughπŸ˜‚

Comment is about Full of beans (blog)

Original item by hugh

Taylor Crowshaw

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:47

So well worded the utter pain and hopelessness is palpable...❀

Comment is about the mask (blog)

Original item by Brooke E Addison

Taylor Crowshaw

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:45

Written with sensitivity.. Beautiful poem.πŸ˜ƒ

Comment is about On a Roller-Coaster of Fate (blog)

Original item by Bruce Levine

Rick

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:41

Thanks, both - much appreciated.

Comment is about Nothing Left (blog)

Original item by Rick

keith jeffries

Thu 15th Nov 2018 18:34

This poem must have required some deep inner searching in order for you to express yourself with such sensitivity. I particularly like.....and laughing to cover up the unkown.

It sums up life as a journey or a ride which is also akin to a pilgrimage fraught with emotions.

Well done Bruce and thank you

Keith

Comment is about On a Roller-Coaster of Fate (blog)

Original item by Bruce Levine

Wolfgar Miere

Thu 15th Nov 2018 16:58

Hi Ian, thanks for your response to my response πŸ˜€ I suppose that could go on endlessy, and why not? it’s good to talk. In many ways what you have said about soldiers being happy to be remembered whatever the colour of the petals, is what I was getting at. I think many soldiers would be happy to be remembered reverently and possibly quite silently, I sense many would not appreciate the clattering drums and blasting pipes, especially considering the crescendo and hell of their possible final hours. Who knows, and I can certainly only speak for myself on this, although I have spoken to many who reinforce that idea. Obviously there is a need for national remembrance and who am I to decide how that may be done? apart from being a surviving grunt of course. I just know I would never wear a medal or put on a uniform to attend such a parade if I ever went to one (which I will not be doing) of course I do wear a poppy (for one day only) Remembrance is for the dead and the suffering survivors of all nations (in my mind at least) not for the showing of regimental colours and medals. I find that indulgence distracting and somehow wallowing. And yes I have a string of medals, all lost in drawers and in the bottom of kit bags, they have no value whatsoever for me. I think this is an attitude many simply cannot conceive, which in itself speaks of an absence of understanding. All must be able to imagine when it comes to art that is what art is in its purest form for me, there has been a glut of poetry regarding remembrance this year, as it is the centenary of WW1 I am not surprised. Unfortunately for me so much of it has seemed voyeuristic in nature, that too is not unusual although it is disturbing to me when it is presented en masse as it seems to have been this year. I am in the fortunate/unfortunate position to be able draw on my own experiences of conflict and to have felt able to relate them through a medium of bad poetry and questionable prose, something I would not wish upon any other person but which I myself refuse to shy away from for the comfort of others. It would be refreshing to see the poetry of imagination suggest alternate images other than poppy fields and the same old churned out funereal inevitable imagery, I would have thought some of us living in this age might be able to translate our musings into hope of some sort. I will be attempting this myself hopefully in future. I very much appreciate your concluding words in what you have written Ian. I am very fortunate that besides Captain Jamesons I have a good network of people to sustain me during my now infrequent wobbles. Thanks again and have no doubt that whatever my misgivings may be about how we remember I would never deny anyones right to do it in whatever way they thought appropriate, or to write about it and express their emotions on it likewise. All the best mate.

David.

Comment is about Ian Whiteley (poet profile)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Wolfgar Miere

Thu 15th Nov 2018 16:58

David.

Comment is about Wolfgar (poet profile)

Original item by Wolfgar

Big Sal

Thu 15th Nov 2018 16:55

Thank you for the kindness, Kate.

I believe you missed this due to being absent from the site for a few weeks, and the fact that I originally posted it under the groups, not my personal profile to begin with.

I am glad though that you could come back with a fresh mindset and set of eyes to pick apart the pieces you like. I had heard this tale via my wife, and it was so incredibly humbling I wanted to memorialize it in the only way I know how to - throw it into a rhyme or two.

Comment is about Mohamed Bzeek (blog)

Original item by Big Sal

Anya

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:58

Heartbreaking and so true. We cover our pain wearing masks, trying to live a β€žnormal” life...

Comment is about the mask (blog)

Original item by Brooke E Addison

Nigel Astell

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:49

Thanks again to Linda and Pam for making us all wellcome to perform our poetry on this special day.

Comment is about Stockport WoL (group profile)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Anya

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:48

It’s hard to chase your dreams when you’re constantly running From your nightmares

... speaks to me on so many levels

Amazing write

Lots of love, stay strong Damon 😘

Comment is about 3:32 AM (blog)

Original item by Damon Blackery

Nigel Astell

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:45

Santa parks his sledge
leaving Cheshire set last
now to enjoy giving
the very last present
might take him a while!

Comment is about November 2018 Collage Poem: Cheshire Housewives (blog)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:29

Any father would be proud to know his girl could produce
something like this!

Comment is about Daddy's Girl (blog)

Original item by Kate G

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:25

Hugh - you're incorrigible. I shall look at my 57 can with
moist eyes now...riven with regret for this unfortunate.
So now Heinz is a has-bean? Or - as the Yanks might say: he's toast!

Comment is about Full of beans (blog)

Original item by hugh

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:17

But all art is surely derivative - and that in itself is a form of
plagiarism. And plagiarism is imitation by any other name - and imitation is said to be a considerable compliment.
Copy?
Right!

Comment is about Rules Of Conduct (blog)

Original item by d.knape

Thu 15th Nov 2018 15:09

This made me grin - thanks for that! As for making a
woman smile, that's a good pointer to making some
headway in any relationship imho.

Comment is about fatal attraction (blog)

Original item by eve nortley

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 14:12

thanks for the comments on 'falling down the cracks in the pavement' Keith - yes - I needed some light relief after the war poetry of the last month or so - been on a tour of 6 gigs in 7 days last week delivering the set of poems and music that I released about WW1 in 2014. It has been fulfilling but emotionally draining - I needed to let off some steam and let out some jeans :-)
Ian

Comment is about keith jeffries (poet profile)

Original item by keith jeffries

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 14:09

thanks for the comment on 'a poppy in winter' Taylor - yep - it was really all about choice - I don't think a soldier fighting in WW1 would have wanted 'remembrance' to be just about remembering (which I think is the red poppy message) without pairing it with learning lessons (Which I think the white poppy encourages)
cheers
Ian

Comment is about Taylor Crowshaw (poet profile)

Original item by Taylor Crowshaw

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 14:07

thanks for your comment on 'a poppy in winter' Sal - I do like to mix-up my topics and delivery style - a bit like doing a crossword the exercise of writing to a poetic form on an unfamiliar subject allows a bit of research + a dose of control - I think that then helps when writing in a more 'natural' and preferred style.
Ian

Comment is about Big Sal (poet profile)

Original item by Big Sal

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 14:05

thanks for your comments on 'a poppy in winter' Mark - I'm not really advocating the white poppy as the only form of remembrance - I think the red poppy is for that - the white poppy is more a reminder to think about peace when we remember. I wear both side by side because remembrance, on its own, is not enough for me
cheers
Ian

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 14:01

thanks for the comments on 'a poppy in winter' David - as always I appreciate your very unique perspective on some of the topics I write about.
I wasn't quite sure if you were 'having a dig' about using imagined thoughts of dead soldiers - but I wasn't trying to do that if you were. It was more of a musing on my belief that they wouldn't have objected to the use of the white poppy as a way to remember them and set a precedent for peace. Surely some of them would have thought that amongst all the other feelings they were having at the time.
Just completed a 6 date mini-tour of the WW1 album I produced in 2014 - the response from the public at the gigs has been humbling and interesting. Many just want to ensure that the stories from the war are not forgotten and that in remembrance people learn the lessons from history. It ahs been an emotionally draining experience to share these moments with people - and they whole heartedly back the soldiers role in this.
Thanks again for the comments - and with regard to another post I noticed you had made - I don't know you well enough to 'intervene' if you have personal issues - but I certainly know you well enough through our messages to offer you my thoughts and the promise that if you reach out at dark times I will be there to listen (via the media of messaging) and offer you some soundboard for your thoughts
Ian

Comment is about Wolfgar (poet profile)

Original item by Wolfgar

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 13:54

thanks for the comments on 'a poppy in winter' Brian - I do think the amount of poppy colours is getting a little silly - but the red is for remembrance and the white is for peace and the rest is for personal choice - the very thing that was fought for - so I'm OK with it - better to remember something than nothing at all
Ian

Comment is about Brian Maryon (poet profile)

Original item by Brian Maryon

Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 13:52

Thanks for all the comments - interesting reading :-)
Ian

Comment is about A Poppy In Winter (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Thu 15th Nov 2018 12:59

TC and KG - many thanks for the comments. I've modified
one line very slightly to suit the theme as intended.

Comment is about MIND - HOW YOU GO!! (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

d.knape

Thu 15th Nov 2018 12:39

sometimes our conduct
needs monitoring.
(this is an example of.)

Comment is about Rules Of Conduct (blog)

Original item by d.knape

Big Sal

Thu 15th Nov 2018 12:21

I hope one day my little girl writes poetry.

Beautiful emotion, Kate.🌷

Comment is about Daddy's Girl (blog)

Original item by Kate G

Don Matthews

Thu 15th Nov 2018 12:17

I look for ideas in the paper. It's surprising what you can find which is true and humourous. It also helps educate. I feel a bit like a WOL roving reporter. 😎

Comment is about 69 t0 45 (blog)

Original item by Don Matthews

Anya

Thu 15th Nov 2018 12:08

Where do you get all those stories from Don!!! So funny!!! 😘

Comment is about 69 t0 45 (blog)

Original item by Don Matthews

123 … 250 … 500 … 750 … 1000 … 1250 … 1500 … 1750 … 2000 … 2250 … 249224932494Next ►