Paul Waring

Tue 28th Mar 2017 19:56

Thanks Ray, I'm not sure whether to stock up on life-enhancing herbs and happy pills or just carry on enjoying being out of kilter with everything! You've got me thinking about growing old disgracefully πŸ˜€

Yeahhhhhh, why not?

Paul

Comment is about A So-So So and So (blog)

Original item by Paul Waring

Paul Waring

Tue 28th Mar 2017 19:44

David, I know this can't have been easy to write about someone you love. For me, you have really captured something close to the essence of the devastasting effects of dementia in what must be very difficult circumstances. As ever, you write from the heart - and so eloquently.

I'm sure I'm not the only one of your friends of here who wishes that your father does not suffer too much and that you are coping.

Paul

Comment is about Sarcophagus (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

patrick D Ortiz

Tue 28th Mar 2017 19:43

this is very strong.recognizing the layers in a relationship and then defining them.what you describe him in the end he was just a scab you soon to be healed .. him to simply fall away.

Comment is about x (blog)

Original item by Maria Renea

Tue 28th Mar 2017 19:39

Throw caution to the wind Paul - let your hair down - be a hippie again (like me) smoke a pipe, anything that's different and risk being laughed at. At least you'll be taken seriously in this new grey suit of conformity. Only joking of course. I love that line "master of the mundane" a sort of contradiction. Unfortunately I find the advance of age sharpens the sense of being out of kilter with just about everything - maybe that's an advantage!
Aythangyow.

Ray

Comment is about A So-So So and So (blog)

Original item by Paul Waring

Maria Renea

Tue 28th Mar 2017 18:53

It sounds like you are raising a great young man! I myself have three brothers, my older brother is 20, my younger two are 15 and 7. I come from a hispanic family, so as you could probably imagine, sexism is a part of everyday life. My parents divorced, so my mom has been trying to raise my youngest brother differently than my other brothers. She constantly reminds him that he should never be rude to others or bully them because they're a girl or their skin color, etc... My littlest brother is honestly a little gentleman, he has the biggest heart. Unfortunately, my other brothers aren't the same. I hope that some day, the world is more loving and accepting of everyone. x

Comment is about Asking for it (blog)

Original item by Maria Renea

Shay Bee

Tue 28th Mar 2017 17:03

Kinky. I like it..
Keep up the good work!!!
Cheers

Comment is about Damsel & The Naughty Boy (blog)

Original item by Ankit Gulati

Shay Bee

Tue 28th Mar 2017 17:03

Kinky. I like it..
Keep up the good work!!!
Cheers

Comment is about Damsel & The Naughty Boy (blog)

Original item by Ankit Gulati

Shay Bee

Tue 28th Mar 2017 17:01

Dear Ankit
It's a pleasant surprise to see such amazing poetry specially when you said you are not a poet by profession.. I wish you all the best for your future endeavors.. Look forward to see more meaningful poetry..

Happy scribbling..

Cheers

Shay

Comment is about Ankit Gulati (poet profile)

Original item by Ankit Gulati

Philipos

Tue 28th Mar 2017 15:03

Hi Cynthia really great to hear from you. Yes you were bang on with your suggestion on 'Tolls'. Have been doing open mikes in various parts including Camden and more recently at the New Inn, Send, a hinterland of Woking, the latter courtesy of Greg Freeman's enterprising plans. I don't know if you are the same, but I find inspiration comes in waves. My current poetic home is with the Wey Poets at Guildford. A great bunch they are and thanks again. P. πŸ‘

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 28th Mar 2017 14:49

Thanks Ray,

this may sound ridiculous, but one of my very first memories of school was being asked to imagine I was a tree waking and growing..lol, it was a group thing, something many of us were probably asked to enact, I think we did it to music.

I don't really know why, but it seems to have been an important memory, I think at first I felt really self conscious and then became very aware of life on the planet outside my own very limited experience of it.

Goodness knows why that now seems relevant to this, but it somehow does.

All the best,

David.

Comment is about Umbilical Wi-Fi Life (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:58

So this is the Prenup you got your wife to sign!

Its all good, but the last two lines are killers, very funny.

David.

Comment is about MARRIAGE VOWS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:26

A superb poem, Martin. The 'list type' format works really well in this instance.

But why did you not say something! We kept looking for you in Sale. Soon then, my friend. Looking forward to it.
Stu Buck is coming as 'guest' in April. Hope to see you there.

Comment is about I am arisen (blog)

Original item by Martin Elder

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:20

Much enjoyed, the freedom of thought and the honesty.

Comment is about The Present (blog)

Original item by Dyphrent

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:18

Neil, I will try to catch up with more of your work. I look forward to it.

Comment is about Neil Robertson (poet profile)

Original item by Neil Robertson

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:16

Great subject. Much enjoyed both development of the idea and the skillful structure itself.

Comment is about Moth (blog)

Original item by Neil Robertson

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:09

Really effective formatting; pumps like blood through the head and heart. The title is superb.

And you're concerned about 'good' and 'better' writing! You are always your own best judge. There are really no 'rules'. Just results. And you have innate power.

Comment is about grief in e-minor (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Raj Ferds

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:08

The image is deliberate Cynthia.
The Buddha never fails to enlighten me.

Raj

Comment is about The elusive sage (blog)

Original item by Chakraj

Tue 28th Mar 2017 13:00

OK! Good one.

What is 'frollocked'? A made-up word? I'm all for that.

Comment is about Twat Face (blog)

Original item by Natfastic

Tue 28th Mar 2017 12:58

Brilliant! I'm still chuckling. It's so GOOD to see you back on line.

Is that a dig at 'For whom the bell tolls'? Clue me in.

Comment is about TOLLS (blog)

Original item by Philipos

Tue 28th Mar 2017 12:51

Sensitive and dramatically gripping at the same time, not easy to accomplish. Much enjoyed.

Have you any particular reason for the 'drainpipe' formatting? (my word). I'm genuinely interested.

Comment is about Shadow ashes / the nowhere poems (blog)

Original item by david patrick simon

Tue 28th Mar 2017 12:42

On the other hand, I don't feel so much 'pain' as rogue-ish hilarity. I think laughter is a huge benefit to any relationship. Fab subject. Good rhyming!

Comment is about MARRIAGE VOWS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Tue 28th Mar 2017 12:34

Imaginative format, and insightful concept of Universal Love. Is the particular image deliberate, or whimsical?

Comment is about The elusive sage (blog)

Original item by Chakraj

Tue 28th Mar 2017 12:26

A very personal heartfelt poem and I think it has a lovely resonance , a hard and final quality that got my attention . Some experiences are so real when put into words like these.

Ray

Comment is about The Passing of love (blog)

Original item by Neill Barnard

Tue 28th Mar 2017 12:21

Uniquely descriptive like a torrent hardly contained - an unmistakeable style you have made your own Stu. This makes us sit up and take notice - it feels like examining a wound.

Ray

Comment is about grief in e-minor (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Tue 28th Mar 2017 10:30

Opening up to this you can sense a reward coming , a feeling of rightness without desecration and a sacrifice of worldly domination. Lovely and affecting David.

Ray

Comment is about Umbilical Wi-Fi Life (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Simon Widdop

Tue 28th Mar 2017 10:00

Comment is about Around the Cirrus and Nimbostratus (blog)

Original item by Simon Widdop

Paul Waring

Tue 28th Mar 2017 09:46

Thanks elP, you've sparked my interest in Harrison Bergeron, I've been reading about it on wikipedia. And you posit something else that's got me thinking about the awareness and frustration about not having the same energy/hunger/drive/or whatever that we had in our 'prime' to be able to utilise and capitalise on the knowledge and wisdom we've aquired. But, having said that, I wouldn't want to turn the clock back (well not until last week of October anyway!).

Thanks again elP for reading and for your stimulating comments.

Paul

Comment is about A So-So So and So (blog)

Original item by Paul Waring

Paul Waring

Tue 28th Mar 2017 09:31

Gripping stuff Stu, really raw emotion and pain running all the way through this. Marvellous read.

Paul

Comment is about grief in e-minor (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Paul Waring

Tue 28th Mar 2017 09:26

Cor Ray, maybe there is a fate worse than death after all πŸ˜€ I can hear and feel the pain here....😦

Paul

Comment is about MARRIAGE VOWS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

keith jeffries

Tue 28th Mar 2017 09:25

Thank you for your comment. How right you are. Keith

Comment is about darius manning (poet profile)

Original item by darius manning

Tue 28th Mar 2017 09:11

my father used to say to me about men (who on the surface appeared big strong and unassailable) "they've all got a chin", meaning everyone has a weakness. Sadly those weaknesses are not always physical.

Good work Matthew.

Comment is about A Million Questions Unanswered (blog)

Original item by Matthew Nicholson

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 28th Mar 2017 08:46

Thanks all for your comments.

elP, there is a connection between the two pieces, it was unintentional at the time of writing but revealed itself in the process.

I am interested in mankind's place in the landscape, and wonder just how much we may have forgotten about our connection to nature, could it be enough that we have lost some part of our wiring which once connected us in a more real way?

I like the feeling I personally have on my reliance upon nature, and that although it is wireless and without strings, it feels connected and inseparable.

Anyway, just thoughts really, thanks again for reading and comments.

David.

Comment is about Umbilical Wi-Fi Life (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Juan Pablo Lynch

Tue 28th Mar 2017 02:00

Thanks for the kind review Martin. I am aspiring to continue evolving as a poet...I wrote this with a thesaurus handy because I really wanted to paint a vivid picture.

Comment is about Delightfully blown away (blog)

Original item by Juan Pablo Lynch

elPintor

Tue 28th Mar 2017 00:44

The juxtaposition of outer strength and the inner struggles with human need..it's a standout piece on a subject that should be widely recognized within any humanitarian society.

elP

Comment is about A Million Questions Unanswered (blog)

Original item by Matthew Nicholson

elPintor

Tue 28th Mar 2017 00:37

It's a short story so much the shorter. The images within are beautiful and sad, and the ending is breathtaking.

elP

Comment is about Around the Cirrus and Nimbostratus (blog)

Original item by Simon Widdop

elPintor

Tue 28th Mar 2017 00:29

You know, Maria, I can remember saying the same thing. But, though I know the roots of the double standard you speak of run deep, I believe that human kind will overcome. I am a single mother of a teenage son and have done my utmost best to talk with him about the realities of our human sexuality. Maybe, as sexism becomes less prevalent, more mothers are learning to talk with their sons more openly and to share the feminine experience with them. We should be proactive in preventing violence, of all kinds.

elP

Comment is about Asking for it (blog)

Original item by Maria Renea

elPintor

Tue 28th Mar 2017 00:13

I'm happy to hear there's an upside to this for you, Martin. You'll be in my thoughts as you mend.

elP

Comment is about I am arisen (blog)

Original item by Martin Elder

elPintor

Tue 28th Mar 2017 00:08

whoooah..I shudder at the thought...

elP

Comment is about MARRIAGE VOWS (blog)

Original item by ray pool

elPintor

Tue 28th Mar 2017 00:06

Hello, Juan. I wanted to respond to this when you first posted it, yet, I was simply too exhausted from work. Anyhow, if you care to, look into the history of IQ tests and some of the nefarious purposes for which they've been designed in the past--you may be truly astonished. I don't doubt that most true scientists would readily relinquish all bias, yet, there may be a remnant who would disguise falsehoods within the cloak of science for the sake of furthering one agenda or another.

It's a very interesting topic, Juan, and one worth exploring.

elP

Comment is about Test the test (blog)

Original item by Juan Pablo Lynch

elPintor

Mon 27th Mar 2017 23:58

I don't mean to make too far a stretch, here, yet this does remind me of "Harrison Bergeron". I mean, what are the chances that there's an additive in the water that makes us age at an increased rate in order for the powers that be to make sure that our wisdom doesn't catch up with our youth and enable us to really shake things up?

That's a run-on question, I can see..I hope you're able to sort it out..if not, just ask for clarification, if you please.

elP

Comment is about A So-So So and So (blog)

Original item by Paul Waring

elPintor

Mon 27th Mar 2017 23:51

It's almost a continuation of the prior piece. I mean, in many ways, it reminds me of it--waves, circadian rhythms, the magnetic tension created by a sphere turning within a sphere. And, the title, in and of itself, is great cause for contemplation.

elP

Comment is about Umbilical Wi-Fi Life (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

elPintor

Mon 27th Mar 2017 23:40

I have to agree with Martin and David, and might I just say that it's a great observation on how unique we each are in handling strong emotions like grief. I don't know enough to get into the psychobiological factors affecting such things, though I'm sure that there are many elements at play within such confined temporal experiences.

btw, I was just reading that, "the key of E minor is also popular in heavy metal music, as its tonic is the lowest note on a standard-tuned guitar."--very fitting.

elP

Comment is about grief in e-minor (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

winston plowes

Mon 27th Mar 2017 23:04

Hi There, What a surprise to see an Urdu? ghazal on these pages complete with radif & qafia and takkhalus in the last sher etc. could we have a translation I wonder as I and many on here don't unfortunately speak Urdu. Win

Comment is about POETRY PASSION (blog)

Original item by AATIF

darius manning

Mon 27th Mar 2017 22:37

A sublime and eloquent homage to the moment of lucid cohesion of heart, mind, and soul. The muse is strong in this one. Btw, i read your profile i thought you might like a quote i enjoy, though I feel you are well aware of it. "The opposite of bravery is not cowardice but conformity."
Robert Anthony

Comment is about Inspiration (blog)

Original item by keith jeffries

Wolfgar Miere

Mon 27th Mar 2017 22:24

Thanks for reading and comments Ray.

The scenario you imagine certainly would be an interesting one. I hope your medication kicked in and you are now happily sedated.

David.

Comment is about Rhythm (The Schumann resonance) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Philipos

Mon 27th Mar 2017 22:22

I really like your work, your poems certainly speak for themselves. Sit well in their own juice so to speak. Brill'. πŸŽ–

Comment is about The Dark Night of My Soul (blog)

Original item by Natfastic

keith jeffries

Mon 27th Mar 2017 21:45

Thank you Paul. LetΒ΄s press on and write more good poetry. Keith

Comment is about Paul Waring (poet profile)

Original item by Paul Waring

Paul Waring

Mon 27th Mar 2017 21:40

Hi Keith, firstly, sorry for the slightly delayed reply, I have only just spotted your comment. Thank you very much for your kind words about my poems. I was so pleased to read that have you enjoyed what I've written, especially Nostalgia which was my first attempt at writing in this style. I was really encouraged by the response it received.

I hope you are enjoying being part of the WoL community, I have been on here since December last year and have really benefited from it. Sincere best wishes with your writing Keith.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment is about keith jeffries (poet profile)

Original item by keith jeffries

Jonathan Humble

Mon 27th Mar 2017 21:14

Wolfgar Miere

Mon 27th Mar 2017 21:08

Great emotion here Stu,

I like the repetition it is very effective, it seems like the kind of repetition you hear deranged people rant when in the throes of anger. And I suppose this is about how we all grieve in different ways, and how when it manifests in anger it sometimes descends into madness.

That is my take on it anyway, your picture painting is gothic as ever, great stuff.

David.

Comment is about grief in e-minor (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

123 … 192 … 384 … 576 … 768 … 960 … 1152 … 1344 … 1536 … 1728 … 191819191920Next ►