Donations are essential to keep Write Out Loud going

Tim Higbee

Mon 24th Jun 2024 00:31

Well done again my friend. The sense of something ominous in the air, a change has taken place.
‘Where’s the other Half of me?
Why don’t you just Let us be?’
The personification in those two lines is powerful.

Comment is about Massacre (blog)

Original item by Manish

Tim Higbee

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 23:57

It certainly makes us feel the past joys of the image that is frozen in time and the sad reality that time will never return for that moment. Thank you, John,

Comment is about The photograph (blog)

Original item by John E Marks

Tim Higbee

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 23:43

You've painted quite a beautiful picture here Keith. The sense of both adventure and tranquility takes me back to my own youth on the farm exploring the streams and woods. Thanks for kicking the dust off some old memories.

Comment is about An English Hamlet (blog)

Original item by keith jeffries

Hélène

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 18:26

Really lovely, Keith. Wonderful imagery and word flow. I felt transported out of my rather intense (suburban evolving to more urban) environment here in California.

Comment is about An English Hamlet (blog)

Original item by keith jeffries

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 16:51

Yes Greg - why not the rockers and for me the hippies too, if we have something to say let's get it off our chests while we may ! Thanks for the thought. I wondered if there may be a re flowering of am dram about to emerge.....

Ray

Comment is about EIGHTY - NOT OUT (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 16:46

Hi once again Martin. Politics isn't really my speciality, but the mention of Thatcher prompts me to speculate that her heavy handed and inflexible approach to running the country was the very opposite of what a disenfranchised rundown group of people who lost heart and significance by the very tearing out of the work ethic and its tiny miracles needed - it was bound to lead to a partial breakdown of hope and community. After all, how much of that can we really absorb? Still we did have the yuppie culture, so can we really complain?

Ray

Comment is about A street full (blog)

Original item by Martin Elder

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 16:36

Hard to think you’d ever leave it Keith! Your old stomping grounds in Northamptonshire have a few like this. Perfect on a sunny Sunday here. Thank you G

Comment is about An English Hamlet (blog)

Original item by keith jeffries

keith jeffries

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 15:51

John,
nostalgia plays such an important part in life yet often overlooked. This poem with the photo of the girls is an invitation for us to revisit the past and take stock of where we are in life.
Keith

Comment is about The photograph (blog)

Original item by John E Marks

keith jeffries

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 15:47

Patricia,
A masterpiece of poetry entwined with philosophy and an exhortation for us to act, to remedy what now ails the world. This was not only a good read but a petition to all who read it, that time is running out and we need to find a new avenue to travel down.
Keith

Comment is about 20020926 Rolling like a ball (blog)

Original item by Patricia Ziel

keith jeffries

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 15:41

Graham, there are moments when we are truly content with a strong sense of appreciation for what we have in life and this poem sums it up perfectly.
Thanks,
Keith

Comment is about after all (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 15:36

"Weeping willow" has its place in our folklore here. I especially appreciated the message in the last verse. But even better might be to be born happy and beautiful? After all, the latter is in the
eye of the beholder, whether that be its lucky owner or the
onlooker.

Comment is about The Lonely Willow (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Jon

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 12:41

Thanks, Auracle

Comment is about Claustrophobia (blog)

Original item by Jon63

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 11:58

A mammoth and comprehensive litany of emotions. What poetry does best!

Comment is about Death Cafe (blog)

Original item by Lee Campbell

leon stolgard

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 10:35

Comment is about Finding the bright side (blog)

Original item by leon stolgard

Martin Elder

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 09:34

Thanks to all the like including Nigel, Tom, Blackrose, Stephen, Stephen Aisha, Manish and Auracle
Thanks also to M.C. David Ray and Keith for comments
Keith I love observational poetry, trying to paint a picture of what I see
Ray there does seem to be little hope on the surface of some peoples lives- yet I suspect if you dig a little deeper there is something more. I think people have lost the ability to speak yo each other, just simply passing the day and therefore not connecting.
David thanks for your comments about Thatcher . I remember her saying that and thinking at the time it was an outrageous statement. You are right my intention wasn't to make any observation other than people going about there daily lives.
When lockdown occurred and I went for my daily walk for exercise I would make a habit of saying hello to anybody I might come across who seemed relieved and smiled back . It is so important i think to try and make that connection.

Once again thank you for likes and comments
Love and blessings
to all
M

Comment is about A street full (blog)

Original item by Martin Elder

David RL Moore

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 09:22

Thanks for the comment Landi and for the additional likes.

Occasionally I see things in my scribbles which must emanate from my subconsious.

On reflection I pondered why I used the words "flake, wounds and pour" because they do have a leaning to suggest some kind of religious communion, ie..the breaking of bread, represented in flake like discs, the blood of Christ, poured...and the reference to open wounds.

All these terms although purpously placed in the text seem to suggest a cleansing.

Read in to that what you like, but it was revealed to me only upon reading not whilst creating the verse.

David

Comment is about Scratch (blog)

Original item by David RL Moore

Tom Doolan

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 08:56

Thank you Leon for your feedback & wise words 🙂
Thanks for like Auracle 👍

Comment is about Miss You Everyday (blog)

Original item by Tom Doolan

Greg Freeman

Sun 23rd Jun 2024 07:54

Congratulations on reaching this milestone, Ray. The old rockers keep on trucking, and why shouldn't you, still open-micing and Zooming as you do?

Comment is about EIGHTY - NOT OUT (blog)

Original item by ray pool

leon stolgard

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 20:41

Thank you Manish and Auracle-couple of typos corrected

Comment is about Finding the bright side (blog)

Original item by leon stolgard

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 19:51

Thanks for all your likes Stephen, Keith, Blackrose, Aisha, Holden and Jon 63.

Cheers Graham it is indeed. Yes, I agree, we share the support even sometimes under duress. All's pretty good thanks!

Bless you David. There is of course no alternative but to grip tightly and think of England. A lovely thought too.

Yes Mark - in the same ball park as they say.

Always nice to get your response Martin thank you.

Funny you mention that Stephen. My mum on reaching 95 said: I never wanted to be old, but now I am it would be nice to get to 100, alas not to be but still.....

Ray

Comment is about EIGHTY - NOT OUT (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Megan Gurney

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 19:19

Thank you for liking my dream poems! They are all dreams that I've had. Your feedback is encouraging.

Comment is about Tim Higbee (poet profile)

Original item by Tim Higbee

Evan Tyler

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 15:57

Thank you for the kind words on my poem. I miss that little guy every day. I really appreciate WOL. This has become my safe haven in many ways.
I'm looking forward to reading your work.

Comment is about Cassandra Louise (poet profile)

Original item by Cassandra Louise

leon stolgard

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 15:56

Look on the bright side Tom you know what they say about absence-and tomorrow could be a different story- ( 10/10 ) 👍

Comment is about Miss You Everyday (blog)

Original item by Tom Doolan

Evan Tyler

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 15:53

Thank you for the comment on the Buddy poem. I miss that little bastard..

Cheers
Evan.

Comment is about Stephen Gospage (poet profile)

Original item by Stephen Gospage

leon stolgard

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 15:50

Well crafted grim reminders Patricia-cheers!

Comment is about Awareness Secret (blog)

Original item by Patricia Ziel

Tom Doolan

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 09:50

Thank you Manish for your feedback & supportive comment. 😊
Thanks for likes: Aisha & Patricia 👍

Comment is about Miss You Everyday (blog)

Original item by Tom Doolan

Landi Cruz

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 07:23

The repetition works well with the brevity and somehow works to communicate recurrence. And, the final line cinches it up beautifully--it's really a gratifyingly constructed image painted in those few words.

I also want to mention that certain words and phrases evoke a sense of distorted perception for me which I found very slightly distressing, probably due to my own experiences with chronic insomnia.

..nighttime isn't necessarily a time of rest...

Thanks for posting, David 🌷

Comment is about Scratch (blog)

Original item by David RL Moore

Manish Singh Rajput

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 07:10

I can't thank you enough for your support and generosity, Stephen. It means the world to me. Have a great day!😊

Comment is about A Wish (blog)

Original item by Manish

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 05:12

Martin Elder, Stephen Gospage, Stephen Atkinson, Aisha Suleman, Helene, Manish. Thank you so much for liking my poem. Martin Elder and Manish Singh Rajput for commenting.

Comment is about The Sky is Crying With Heavy Rain (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

leon stolgard

Sat 22nd Jun 2024 00:07

I am very grateful indeed to each of you ladies and gentlemen for choosing to share the sad news of Donald Sutherlands passing away

Having watched the video I mentioned ( cloud busting ) on Youtube I was amazed to see not only the number of comments following but also the very moving comments in quite a lot of them

no doubt you guys will be familiar with the many roles he played and I think that his son Kiefer is quite a good actor too

never forgotten R.I.P. Donald

Comment is about Gone cloud busting-literally! (blog)

Original item by leon stolgard

Jon

Fri 21st Jun 2024 16:29

Thanks, Aisha

Comment is about Claustrophobia (blog)

Original item by Jon63

Steve White

Fri 21st Jun 2024 15:49

Thanks Graham!

Comment is about Real Life (blog)

Original item by Steve White

Fri 21st Jun 2024 15:42

It’s all brilliantly done but I love this standout set

This is the real life
This is the war
This is real spite
Despite the law
These are the orphans
These are the limbs
This is the organ
These are the hymns

Well done!

Comment is about Real Life (blog)

Original item by Steve White

Fri 21st Jun 2024 15:33

The teaks were still
And so were the neem,
Their silence seemed
Like silent screams.

So effective!

Comment is about Massacre (blog)

Original item by Manish

David RL Moore

Fri 21st Jun 2024 14:08

Thanks for the early likes folks.

David.

Comment is about Scratch (blog)

Original item by David RL Moore

Manish Singh Rajput

Fri 21st Jun 2024 13:50

The message, structure and set-up of this poem is put out brilliantly by you, Stephen. Clear, crisp and effective.

Comment is about Summit (blog)

Original item by Stephen Gospage

Manish Singh Rajput

Fri 21st Jun 2024 13:47

"If there is a god or a celestial being
Why am I left with a vacant empty feeling
Live in the here and now they cry
One day at a time and then you die," mind-blowing stuff, Tom. I loved it!

Comment is about Miss You Everyday (blog)

Original item by Tom Doolan

Patricia Ziel

Fri 21st Jun 2024 12:22

Wow, Hélène, just beautiful. I also believe. Seems that our writing is touching similar themes. My next post will be related to our co-creating.
Thank you also for your kind words for Winded prayer.

Comment is about I'm a Believer (blog)

Original item by Hélène

keith jeffries

Fri 21st Jun 2024 11:54

Stephen,
The comparison is stark. Endless talking shops with little to connect them with reality is an all too familiar scene. A poem which all diplomats should read before their next summit.
Keith

Comment is about Summit (blog)

Original item by Stephen Gospage

David Franks

Fri 21st Jun 2024 10:02

Got that, thanks, M.C. - just had my first breakfast here in a budget hotel...not quite as simple but strictly continental, & far from my usual, but okay.

Comment is about Weekly WalkaboutsVerse, E.G., Poem 17 of 230:  THROUGH WHAT WAS (blog)

Original item by David Franks: Walkabouts Verse

Jon

Fri 21st Jun 2024 08:18

Thanks, Stephen

Comment is about Claustrophobia (blog)

Original item by Jon63

Stephen Gospage

Fri 21st Jun 2024 07:49

A beautiful poem, Manish. Perfectly paced.

Comment is about A Wish (blog)

Original item by Manish

Jon

Fri 21st Jun 2024 07:08

Thanks, Blackrose

Comment is about Claustrophobia (blog)

Original item by Jon63

blackrose

Fri 21st Jun 2024 02:58

Thank you Keith and others for liking my poem.
-Blackrose

Comment is about -QUESTIONS? (blog)

Original item by Blackrose

leon stolgard

Fri 21st Jun 2024 00:18

What a bummer no picky access? there was supposed to be a downloaded picky with the blog-so anywaaaaay in case some of you don't know who I'm referring to its Donald Sutherland

( cloud busting vid on youtube )
him and the very yummy Kate Bush

aythankyor!

Comment is about Gone cloud busting-literally! (blog)

Original item by leon stolgard

Landi Cruz

Thu 20th Jun 2024 23:15

Thanks, Martin--I appreciate your comment.

There have been many moments in life where I've suspected that I'm slow on the uptake. But then, why displace the power of observation for the sake of speech?

It's a conundrum )

Comment is about enough rocks for a monument (blog)

Original item by Landi Cruz

keith jeffries

Thu 20th Jun 2024 22:25

John,
First I applaud your choice of reference in the words of Charles Bukowski. A great favourite of mine.
Your poem is a vivid description of many urban areas in our towns and cities. Raw emotion, unconcealed poverty and a dearth of spirituality. Desparation lingers in a sultry atmosphere of lethargy. I have seen it all too often in parish work. The human casualties of orchestrated neglect.
You write from an aching heart as we cannot turn our backs on this. I thank you for such a skilfull piece of witing.
Keith

Comment is about AUSTERITY (blog)

Original item by John E Marks

Thu 20th Jun 2024 21:11

The most uplifting vision one can witness, the wonder in a child's eyes!
I am also minded to remember hearing the artist Grayson Perry shaking a box of Lego and stating that it was the sound of a child's imagination! Brilliant.

well done Helene

Comment is about Tasks of the Day (blog)

Original item by Hélène

Martin Peacock

Thu 20th Jun 2024 19:02

I really like this, Landi, although i had to read yours and David's comments to get its meaning. That's all down to me though - i can be very slow that way. But don't let that detract from me saying what a great piece of writing it is. Nice work.

Comment is about enough rocks for a monument (blog)

Original item by Landi Cruz

Landi Cruz

Thu 20th Jun 2024 18:44

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts--it's good to expand perspective through a little discourse. I tend to keep my thoughts close to the chest so I enjoy a bit of feedback when I air them.

I was thinking as I wrote this about how people can be disappeared to sadness. I got this image of a bright light being released and considered what it might take to extricate a heart from the depths. I thought too that such a rescue might be fraught with risk on many levels...

..no one makes it out of this life alive 💕

With regard to revisionism, I get it. I very recently had a conversation with a coworker and admitted that I no longer have any heroes. That's not to say that I don't admire anyone or their ability to put their principles before their own self-interest--I certainly do. However I know that those people are human and are often required to show leadership in impossible situations. Basically, they're prone to making decisions which don't hold up well in the light of convenient judgments about what's good and what's bad. Really, I could talk for a loooong time about this. I only wish I wasn't such a slow texter.

I'll leave with this...

Years ago, I was talking with a young man whose company I enjoyed a lot. He was very friendly and welcoming to me when I first moved to this foreign country where I have lived now for several years. Anyhow, he mentioned that he was a communist which I found quite interesting and I said I found it all the more interesting because I grew up during the final decades of the Soviet Union. What I was trying to get to but didn't know how because I'm not well-read on the various communist factions was the reason Stalin had Trotsky murdered with an ice pick.

My friend seemed puzzled. So I went on and told him we westerners had a sort of umbrella term by which we described how the Cheka assured their power and asked him if he had ever heard of The Red Terror. He said no so I went on some more and told him that I had read that they had very creative means of offing their enemies and would even freeze prisoners to break off their limbs in order to instill fear within the population. He said, no, he hadn't heard of any of that and the entire conversation ended when he admitted, "meh--maybe communism isn't for you."

Sorry, that was a longer story than I thought it would be.

It's a funny world, though, and accounts differ wildly...

Well, again, thanks. It feels nice to try to make something coherent out of this jumble of thoughts in my head 🌷

Comment is about enough rocks for a monument (blog)

Original item by Landi Cruz

123 … 294 … 588 … 882 … 1176 … 1470 … 1764 … 2058 … 2352 … 2646 … 293829392940Next ►