Stu Buck

Tue 1st Mar 2016 21:46

brilliant martin. an absolute joy to read.

Comment is about Dawn is dusk (blog)

Original item by Martin Elder

Victor Grauer

Tue 1st Mar 2016 21:43

This is an excellent piece of work, beautifully crafted and beautifully spoken as well. I'm assuming your work has been published somewhere?

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Victor Grauer

Tue 1st Mar 2016 21:33

LOL! I like this. Very amusing. And also very precise use of language, which I really appreciate. The fourth line is my favorite. But verse 2 line 4 puzzles me. Is that a typo or what?

Maybe: The bartender offered me a double
And a thought.

Anyhow, hang in there. Keep trying. Datewise I mean.

Comment is about You Say Oprah (blog)

Original item by Suki Spangles

Tue 1st Mar 2016 19:53

well! we'll go to the foot of our coffins! love this!

P&S

Comment is about Ace of the spade (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

Tue 1st Mar 2016 19:49

if you CAN'T please some of the women all of the time-and you CAN'T please all of the women some of the time-

what does one do?

get yer tush into a gay bar!

cheers for the blue chuckle.

P&S

Comment is about You Say Oprah (blog)

Original item by Suki Spangles

Tue 1st Mar 2016 19:36

Thanks guys.All very scarey stuff indeed.Who knows-bullet proof vests may become everyday wear?

Cheers m'dears.

P&S

Comment is about Making of a lone Wolf (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

J.S.Watts

Tue 1st Mar 2016 19:02

Years Ago You Coloured Me Book Cover

Comment is about Years Ago You Coloured Me Book Cover (photo)

Original item by J.S.Watts

Tue 1st Mar 2016 17:57

Yes, Harry, I confess I don't buy into that abrogation of personal responsibility stuff. It's all a cop-out to me. But it does make a cracking coat hanger for a yarn.
Also, my nod towards Bernard Cornwell doesn't do the great man anywhere near enough justice. The line about weaving a darker cloth, for example, is total plagiarism on my part.

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Harry O'Neill

Tue 1st Mar 2016 17:41

Nice clear and rhythmic re-telling of an old myth John, I know almost nothing about Nordic myth but am often impressed by the way the `warlikeness` of it seems to be
effective in poetical terms.

This is a kind of fatalistic one (it seems to tell that things just seem to happen to us rather than us `doing` them)

As Lancs (and your last stanza) point out the core of the thing seems to be that we are not responsible for our own actions . (It`s a great alibi)

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Martin Elder

Tue 1st Mar 2016 17:22

As apposite as ever Tommy. Nice one

Comment is about A Palestinian child's enquiry (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Vicki Ayers

Tue 1st Mar 2016 17:18

Thank you so much everybody for reading & commenting - I'm so glad you enjoyed it :))

Thanks Martin, I am a passionate soul - yet still woefully single .... !! I often think of energy something you can dive into & lose yourself!

LCPTB - it's one of my favourite lines too - thank you

Scarlet - nature & love - what more is there? Thanks!

Jan - I'm so so pleased you liked it - thank you xx

Comment is about Lovelonging (blog)

Original item by Pixievic

Tue 1st Mar 2016 17:16

Thanks for your comments Jemima. I used to read the dictionary at an early age and spelling is my strong point, so thanks for putting up with my obsessiveness. I thought the poem so good it was worth tweaking. When my cold goes I'll do some more ferretting (note the spelling, haha).

Comment is about Jemima Jones (poet profile)

Original item by Jemima Jones

Vicki Ayers

Tue 1st Mar 2016 17:03

Wow! Powerful words Mr C xx

Comment is about A Palestinian child's enquiry (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Tue 1st Mar 2016 16:57

Many thanks for your kind comments, fellas.
Lancs - you've added to my limited knowledge about the mythology. I didn't know about the animals.
I have to acknowledge an enormous debt of gratitude to the writings of Bernard Cornwell who is the gateway to my researching the historical basis of his stories.
"Wyrd bid ful aread".

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

suki spangles

Tue 1st Mar 2016 16:32

Cheers Jemima!

Comment is about Mind That Child (blog)

Original item by Suki Spangles

Harry O'Neill

Tue 1st Mar 2016 15:49

Jemima,
Shouldn`t that line eight be; worms seeking corpses?

(assuming his grave is empty)

Last three lines, good, stout, Christian stuff

Comment is about Ace of the spade (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

Tue 1st Mar 2016 15:19

Just picking up your response to my comment on Apple Crush David. I take your point entirely on the public conception of such as yourself who have been charged with mind blowing duties in the preservation of peace of mind of others. What is a sound mind? Who nurtures anti - social impulses and what could spark them off with provocation? You have been there and been driven to extremes. You deserve better from society, and no doubt the lack of awareness or indeed concern must gripe on a daily basis. I was pondering if say during WW 2 when the whole nation was under threat, the shocks might have been mitigated by more understanding from all and sundry. I can only imagine this: you would I'm sure have an opinion on it. regards. ray

Comment is about Wolfgar (poet profile)

Original item by Wolfgar

Tue 1st Mar 2016 13:41

Very satisfyingly observational, presented with nice allusions. Thoughtful as always.
Ray

Comment is about Early first quarter reveiw (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Tue 1st Mar 2016 13:39

Very fine almost epic poem John. Completely satisfying and even in my ignorance of the subject it still gripped me ! Lovely to read a rhyming style from time to time.

Ray

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Tue 1st Mar 2016 13:35

Totally inspiring Jan. Compulsive reading and so naturally expressed but with all the trimmings.

Ray

Comment is about nature musing (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

Tue 1st Mar 2016 13:33

another fine poem Jemima. I especially like the way you observe and control the journey of the inward from outside to inside as it were. There is a grim humour too. This style of yours reminds me of my own attempts; have I got a soul mate?
Great line "squaring the mouth in the earth" as if the soil is being fed, which it is, ultimately; and the idea of him retaining a view and doffing his cap is perfect.

Ray

Comment is about Ace of the spade (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

jan oskar hansen

Tue 1st Mar 2016 12:58

I liked tis poem it Had a Snorre quality to it

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

jan oskar hansen

Tue 1st Mar 2016 12:56

absolutely beautiful a delight to read

Comment is about Lovelonging (blog)

Original item by Pixievic

jan oskar hansen

Tue 1st Mar 2016 12:54

well written with ease of a master

Comment is about Early first quarter reveiw (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Scarlet

Tue 1st Mar 2016 12:52

This is incredibly beautiful, for its imagery and its truth. I love all of the metaphors and references to nature. My favourite that I have read by you so far. Very nice work.

Comment is about Lovelonging (blog)

Original item by Pixievic

Jemima Jones

Tue 1st Mar 2016 12:34

Good afternoon to you Wendy.And awwww! (re The gravy train)I feel sooo guilty now for having corrected your spellings-especially since I too have been corrected for misspelling-haha! Had I known you were a (lovely)lady of senior years I can assure you that I would have withheld my suggestions. Please accept my apologies and the warmest of wishes.Thank you.Jemima.

Comment is about Wendy Higson (poet profile)

Original item by Wendy Higson

Jemima Jones

Tue 1st Mar 2016 12:19

Brings to mind not only Columbine but all the similar gruesome incidents that have been occurring lately in the States. Sad thought provoking piece guys. Jemima.

Comment is about Making of a lone Wolf (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Jemima Jones

Tue 1st Mar 2016 12:13

Ray-taken aback by your very considerate comments and am also fascinated to learn about YOUR other wonderful skills.The repeating of "for" might give you some indication of how not to type at excessive speed. And as to the misspelling of "necessarily" that little bugger always catches me out!-as do similar words (examples of which I am sure you are aware of) I could sue the automatic spell checker for falling down on the job but not having switched it on the blame falls on me as does embarrassingly (now THERES an 'example'-phew!) the previous misspelling of "succumbed" Must try harder as my secondary school teacher used to write on too many pages of my exercise books! Thanks very much again Ray for the the time taken not only in kindly appraising (and helpfully correcting) but also for your in depth observations.Jemima.

P&S Thanks guys.Don't either of you think for one millisecond that I too don't suffer the pangs of jealousy when I read quite a lot of your wonderful work.Jemima.

Comment is about restorational requiem for Dad (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

"Two months of getting nowhere fast
Of being mired in mud;"
Conjures up WW1 images of the trenches.

Comment is about March (blog)

Original item by David Lindsay

Reminds me of that Remembrance Sunday of all days.
A couple of years ago, when walking through town, a little boy of about four accompanied by a young couple, trained a rather realistic looking gun at me, as we passed in the street.
Lest we forget...yeah right!

Comment is about Making of a lone Wolf (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Stu Buck

Tue 1st Mar 2016 10:51

booka in oswestry is my local bookshop and definitely isnt in need of a boost. the readings and performances are constantly sold out and the little cafe (alas it has a cafe) does a roaring trade at all times. still, i will attend as i do have a soft spot for the worlds wife.

Comment is about Carol Ann Duffy plans readings tour in support of independent bookshops (article)

Happy Saint David's day!
I know where Wales is, and she is beautiful; I can see her from Rivington Pike.

Comment is about WHERE IS WALES (blog)

Original item by David Subacchi

"I see them now, hand in hand, hurrying
late for school, on empty bellies; again."

How sad, and in modern, civilised Britain.

Comment is about Smacked (blog)

Original item by jeremy young

"A future that could be
Captured in a heartbeat"

That's a really nice image.

Comment is about Lovelonging (blog)

Original item by Pixievic

Hi John, good to read a poem about Norse mythology, which must have coloured British history and culture to some extent?

I've just been reading that an eagle and dragon live at either end of the tree, and they are are bitter enemies...and a squirrel named Ratatosk, runs up and down the tree, doing whatever he can, to keep the hatred between the eagle and Nidhug alive....sounds like the job description of some of our "leaders".

I wonder whether the belief that

"The destinies of every man
Ordained before we’re born."

was a get - out to avoid personal responsibility?

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Steven Waling

Tue 1st Mar 2016 10:16

The problem is not that there isn't a very diverse range of talent out there, from many 'people of colour'; but that it often doesn't get past the first hurdle of actually finding an audience. You have to be visible to find that audience; and that visibility only occurs if people are given the opportunity to read, to publish and to be seen by the reading and listening public.

And when it happens, and a person of colour actually wins an award, along comes the 'they only got it because of political correctness' brigade, to keep them as far away as possible from that visibility, or to denigrate that achievement. Because they couldn't possibly have got their because of talent...

There are some very good writers out there of a very diverse range of backgrounds: Kei Miller, Vahni Capildeo, Sandeep Parmer, Mimi Khalvati and many more. Something for everyone in fact (and I've only mentioned poets here...)

Comment is about London literary weekend aims to redress festivals imbalance for writers of colour (article)

Greg Freeman

Tue 1st Mar 2016 10:15

Well, I guess if it gets us thinking of and even going into independent bookshops a little more, it's got to be a 'good thing', Graham. I was pleased to see that a bookshop in Haslemere where I did a reading last year has made the national final, no less, for independent bookshop of the year. It was a very jolly evening but the reading - attended by Mr Ray Pool among others - was in an upstairs room at the bookshop which only housed two dozen people at a pinch. It wouldn't have done for Carol Ann Duffy, that's for sure!

Tom Doolan

Tue 1st Mar 2016 09:25

Hi Ray :) Thanks for your feedback. Soon to be a grandad lol. You certainly have produced a smorgasbord of work. I like Pizza Express. Used to live in Tooting Bec, many moons ago.

Comment is about Little Boy Blue (blog)

Original item by Tom Doolan

Martin Elder

Tue 1st Mar 2016 09:20

I think you have woven a cracking poem here John. I love the way the rhythm of the piece literally weaves itself. Nice one

Comment is about YGGDRASIL (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Martin Elder

Tue 1st Mar 2016 09:18

Wow there is some powerful phrasing here Vicki and a great metaphor. 'I long to swim in your energy 'I think is my favourite. Can also feel your passion with this. Fab

Comment is about Lovelonging (blog)

Original item by Pixievic

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 1st Mar 2016 06:03

I think you're right Ray,

this is an experience which people are not willing to discuss or even consider.

There are thousands of legitimate killers walking the streets. They are ghosts really, they stand beside people on buses, trains, supermarket queue's. Of course these people can't truly exist as your kindly neighbours, thoughtful contributors to society, surely they are all psychotic deranged PTSD'd killers.

Comment is about Apple crush (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Juhi Gupte

Tue 1st Mar 2016 05:10

Thanks Cynthia Buell Thomas!!

To be honest, I did not attempt any specific form.I counted the lines later... :)

But yes no resistance in adopting any structured format.

Sonnet is the one I wish to try..

Comment is about In Limbo (blog)

Original item by Juhi Gupte

Juhi Gupte

Tue 1st Mar 2016 05:08

Thanks Scarlet...I penned whatever happens around us..humbled by your kind appreciation.

Comment is about In Limbo (blog)

Original item by Juhi Gupte

Juhi Gupte

Tue 1st Mar 2016 05:07

Hey thanks Tommy..:)

Kindly elaborate what all you think after reading this.. ;)

Comment is about In Limbo (blog)

Original item by Juhi Gupte

David Blake

Tue 1st Mar 2016 00:13

I like this. Very effective in the whole double-meaning of 'March'; the militaristic aspect is key. A bit rough around the edges, perhaps, but this too lends the whole thing charm. No battle is going to be pretty. Good work! DB.

Comment is about March (blog)

Original item by David Lindsay

David Blake

Tue 1st Mar 2016 00:11

This is brilliant. Much love. DB.

Comment is about WHERE IS WALES (blog)

Original item by David Subacchi

Adam Whitworth

Tue 1st Mar 2016 00:09

Happy St David's Day

Comment is about WHERE IS WALES (blog)

Original item by David Subacchi

David Blake

Tue 1st Mar 2016 00:04

Intriguing. Looking forward to reading more of your work. DB.

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Scarlet

David Subacchi

Mon 29th Feb 2016 23:00

You can find more of my work on line simply by searching on DAVID SUBACCHI.

Comment is about WHERE IS WALES (blog)

Original item by David Subacchi

Mon 29th Feb 2016 22:03

I have read through this several times and find that I cannot see its purpose.

Is it merely a caravan for CAD?

If it is to support independent bookshops why are some readings in cathedrals or music halls?

Accompanied by music?

I'm sorry!

◄ Prev123 … 146147148149150 … 176 … 352 … 528 … 704 … 880 … 1056 … 1232 … 1408 … 1584 … 175617571758Next ►