Rose Casserley

Thu 27th Oct 2016 00:15

I'll tell you whats new Mr.H....sweet F.A. as per.
like it so much,I'll even press me likey button!

Rose.πŸ’‹

Comment is about front page news (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Rose Casserley

Wed 26th Oct 2016 23:54

cheers pensioneers-hope the 'Racketeers' allow you some peace tonight.

J.J. thanks lovey-some good points there for sure.

CπŸ˜ƒL-hope you enjoyed A/S/W.
were there any cardboard birds innit? Ta mucho mucker,

Rose.πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹πŸ’‹

Comment is about thought immortal (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Wed 26th Oct 2016 22:18

The essence of the law should be to translate "rights" &
"beliefs" into social well-being so that sense and respect
are maintained in society.
Now that the law has caught up with "equality", it has
an unenviable task applying that mercurial term to the
way we live now. I'm uneasy with a term like "devout"
which indicates an unforgiving unbending attitude that
says "It's my way or no other": hardly likely to produce a
progressive sensible society that promotes a live and let
live tolerance that humanity everywhere deserves.
The bakery in this case could have declined the original
order without giving either excuse or offence, without
its owners parading a pious religious position to justify a
subsequent refusal to produce the order and its statement...the icing on the cake in dispute!
The intransigent position taken by the plaintiffs is surely
encouraged by the progress made in recent times to
understand and allow behaviour that was previously
frowned on at best and unlawful at worst. The court's
verdict, whilst stating that a decision preventing the
the completion of a lawful business order by reason
of sexuality is unlawful discrimination, may be seen, for
better or worse, as a worrying extension of the old joke:
"They've made homosexuality legal. How long before
they make it compulsory?" - and do genuine liberal/
progressive thinking a damaging disservice.
To borrow from the Bard "Methinks they doth protest too
much" - and I'll leave it to others to decide to whom that
applies.

Comment is about Fairy Cakes (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

elPintor

Wed 26th Oct 2016 21:44

Thanks so much, Suki..very kind of you to say so.

And, David, I must admit that "Beyond the Yellow Wood" did catch my eye.

elP

Comment is about tangent (blog)

Original item by elPintor

Alexandra Rockwell Lorenz

Wed 26th Oct 2016 20:58

Stu,

I love that you read the poem that way. You are incredibly correct in your interpretations.

Best
A

Comment is about Guess I'm drinking again (blog)

Original item by Alexandra Rockwell Lorenz

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 26th Oct 2016 20:54

Thanks M.C and Stu, of course your observations are spot on.

Just posting this piece of political comment from yester-year, how relevant some of it still seems.

All the best,

David

Comment is about A whim away (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Natasha Bowman

Wed 26th Oct 2016 19:54

Thanks for reading. Your right the title does give it away I was going crazy trying to find one that fitπŸ˜©πŸ˜‚

Comment is about Remembering My First Love (blog)

Original item by Silent Song Symphony Sadness Soul

Stu Buck

Wed 26th Oct 2016 19:23

i dont know.

i dislike religion and am as tolerant a person as there can be but i just cant get on board with this.

i have read quite a bit on this, as i am genuinely torn on the debate. i think the most reasonable thing i have read is the link i will leave at the bottom of the comment. its certainly worth a read and does make me wonder who is right and wrong. it goes quite in depth on the case, after stating how silly it is that taxpayers money was wasted on such a pointless debate. one of the best points it makes is how gay rights were achieved through force of will and protest, not through the law. but why now is a gay man using the law to alter someones belief system?

they owned the business, they have beliefs which are beliefs that are held the world over. should they have to cast aside something that is vital to the way they live their lives.

a democracy should allow people of all faiths and creeds, all sexualities and all colours to have the right to their point of view and their belief system. surely this is undermined by this case?

i think ultimately the entire thing could have been handled differently by both sides.

its a great poem by the way and it causes me much consternation to have this view, but i dont think they should have had to make a cake if they didnt want to.

i welcome any other opinions.

anyway, the article, written by a gay man, is below

edit - if you cant read the entire thing, the first two paragraphs sum up the feeling of the piece, and of myself, quite succinctly

'there are some pretty silly laws on the UK’s statute books. But the Court of Appeal in Belfast has today confirmed one that might be the silliest of the lot: if you’re a gay man, you’re now legally entitled to force a devout Christian to bake you a cake.

I am a gay man. I support equality under the law for people of all sexual and gender inclinations. More to the point, I love cake. Nonetheless, I’m siding with the Christians. This gay plaintiff is wrong; the law is wrong. Nobody should be forced by law to bake anybody else a cake. Ever.'

Comment is about Fairy Cakes (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Stu Buck

Wed 26th Oct 2016 19:18

its excellent but i just cant read it without singing the song. i think perhaps that was what you were trying to do, to trivialise the matter and maybe make a comment on how we block out things like this by continually fattening our minds with sugary music and bullshit.

of course i could be reading into this far to much but i have had a drink so im confident i am right

Comment is about A whim away (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Stu Buck

Wed 26th Oct 2016 19:13

i really enjoy the meta qualities of your work. the last three lines are pissy and petulant (i mean this in a good way, honestly, its a comment on the writing not you as a person) but it works, its clever and draws me in to your world. it shows me i am reading something a human being has written down, shows you to be fragile. the last line shows you care about what people think about your writing, but you convey this in such a way that forms a layer around you, obviously a false kind of bravery. it shows both steel and fragility. it breaks the fourth wall without being pretentious. i also like the lake metaphor, its clever and works well.

Comment is about Guess I'm drinking again (blog)

Original item by Alexandra Rockwell Lorenz

Wed 26th Oct 2016 19:05

Too right, Steve. What's wrong with some good old English Morris dancing, I say?

Comment is about LITTLE BASTARDS (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Steve Higgins

Wed 26th Oct 2016 18:27

Don't get me started on trick or treating. Export it back to the US of A I say!

Comment is about LITTLE BASTARDS (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Steve Higgins

Wed 26th Oct 2016 18:25

It's a rough old neck of the woods where you guys live!

Comment is about Racketeers (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Steve Higgins

Wed 26th Oct 2016 18:03

There's something on the news about this non-event everytime I switch on! What's the big fuss about! Enjoyable poem though!

Comment is about Bake Off - Bog Off (blog)

Original item by Tom (Neil) Clark

Wed 26th Oct 2016 17:32

I seem to recall, from distant schooldays, something about
like poles repelling and unlike poles attracting...or have I
got that the wrong way round?
Either way, the theme contains its own truth about
disparate spirits in a very entertaining rhyming mode.

Comment is about Chalk And Cheese (blog)

Original item by Trevor Alexander

Wed 26th Oct 2016 17:15

I like the sardonic word play on wimoweh/whim away for
the purpose of this post.
Mind you, the original song was based on a falsehood. No
lion is found living in the jungle.

Comment is about A whim away (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wed 26th Oct 2016 17:06

Thanks to you all!

Comment is about HAM-A-MIA! (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Robert Mann

Wed 26th Oct 2016 15:51

Suki - I agree that pachyderm is a great word and initially I misinterpreted it to mean elephantine only, but its much more than that. Thanks for taking time to consider the piece and the sentiments about the U.S. dilemma.
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Election (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Robert Mann

Wed 26th Oct 2016 15:46

Colin - I'm generally pleased by this piece, but think others I've done are deeper and more substantial (if a haiku can be substantial). I take on board what you say about the first line and will think about the possibilities. Thanks
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Mind Blowing (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Julian (Admin)

Wed 26th Oct 2016 15:08

I am delighted but not surprised at your success darn sarth, Laura and Joy; and by the fab review, Greg. Jealous that you were able to attend. Do you get all the best gigs down there?

Comment is about The public and the personal: reasons why Laura Taylor looks back in anger (article)

Nigel Astell

Wed 26th Oct 2016 14:00

Getting out of bed
stretching your aching legs
putting arms into place
sleepy face sooooooo alive
fast focusing flashing wakes!

Comment is about Elizabeth Faitarone (photo)

Laura Taylor

Wed 26th Oct 2016 12:40

Awwr, cheers Marty!! πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€ I wanna do it all over again now haha πŸ˜€

Tom Doolan

Wed 26th Oct 2016 09:30

Food for thought M.C. - bon appetite.

Comment is about HAM-A-MIA! (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Martin Togher

Wed 26th Oct 2016 09:01

Almost look natural at this πŸ˜€

Comment is about Martin Togher (photo)

Dominic James

Wed 26th Oct 2016 08:47

Colin Hill

Wed 26th Oct 2016 08:47

the second line completely destroys the illusion of the first and 'I guess I knew then I'd be alone now' is a clever back to front memory. I like this but maybe the title gives away a little too much? Thanks for posting.

Comment is about Remembering My First Love (blog)

Original item by Silent Song Symphony Sadness Soul

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 26th Oct 2016 08:36

Thanks Suki,

Quite a compliment to suggest this is worthy of a Spitting image ditty. My favourite of their's was a cover of "Every breath you take" which actually played out their final broadcast, I'm guessing you can get it on YouTube.

Many thanks for reading and commenting.

David.

Comment is about A whim away (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Dominic James

Wed 26th Oct 2016 08:28

Hi Rose thanks for the like, the rambling (approximations of) blank verse are fun to make up, they carry their own conclusions along: "No good blaming the cause of
unexplained tears."
Dom

Comment is about Rose Casserley (poet profile)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Wed 26th Oct 2016 08:17

Sorry no just reviewed it on iTunes

G

Comment is about Performance Poet Masterclass (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Neil Clark

Wed 26th Oct 2016 08:01

Absolutely. Deliberate curios and in jokes. "Judi Spiers Doggie Turn" she presented a mini pet show for local Dartmouth residents. Lol. As bizarre as the lucid innuendo. I can assure you. But thank you for the comment. V.much appreciated.

Comment is about With You, Our First (blog)

Original item by Tom (Neil) Clark

Nicola Beckett

Wed 26th Oct 2016 07:53

Thanks for clarifying. I like the lines 'except drifting mistwreaths and feeling the world is an old man repeating himself' Abstract thoughts? Or the fear that we may one day become old and do such things as repeat ourselves and hence it becomes our world and limits it. The limits of our language are the limits of our world. Iris Murdock eventually ended up with Alzeimers. And I think going back to Ray some people seem to find the ideal coupling easily and without effort, slipping into their lives. However these people rarely become poets!

Comment is about avoiding the void (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

Colin Hill

Wed 26th Oct 2016 07:31

I still haven't read this!! And Strictly was somehow miraculously avoided too.

(this comment may be edited - your home is not at risk - some settling of letters may occur in transit - time for breakfast)

postsubscriptPS: my morning bowl of muesli is epic enough but this took longer to read than my muesli took to devour and digest. You pack so many good words together Mr Spangles that my head reels with envy and the unexpected moments of humour make me laugh out loud lol. I'm glad I found time to enjoy this in a quiet corner of my kitchen - 4 days late but just in time before it disappears into WoL's deep and dingy Cave of Archived Efforts. All the best sir.

Comment is about Bleeding-Edge Prophet (blog)

Original item by Suki Spangles

Colin Hill

Wed 26th Oct 2016 07:24

out of curiosity Rob - which bit of this were you unhappy about? I was tempted to say in my original comment that I felt something more could be made of the first line - but I held back. Anyways, this one did grab my tumbleweed attention.

Comment is about Haiku: Mind Blowing (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 26th Oct 2016 07:18

Hi elP,

thought provoking and searching, might I take some satisfaction in having poked this from your thoughts?

David.

Comment is about tangent (blog)

Original item by elPintor

Colin Hill

Wed 26th Oct 2016 07:18

no probs C Byrne - thanks for enjoying mine.

Comment is about high velocity v.1 (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

suki spangles

Wed 26th Oct 2016 01:10

So elegant and effortless. Thanks for sharing.

Comment is about tangent (blog)

Original item by elPintor

suki spangles

Wed 26th Oct 2016 01:07

1000 poems!! You must be on some fierce magical realist steroids. And you have a filing system too!! I have a lot to learn. Anyway, congratulations. And here's to a thousand more!!

Comment is about silt (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

suki spangles

Wed 26th Oct 2016 00:57

Hi Graham,
Do you have a link?
Cheers, Suki

Comment is about Performance Poet Masterclass (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Robert Mann

Wed 26th Oct 2016 00:55

Colin - traditional haiku reflects imagery in relation to nature and I believe human nature as well. I try to make my haiku as muliplicitous in meaning as I can, leaving the reader to interpret the version they picture before and after reading. Glad you liked this particular piece, but I personally think I've written better recently.
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Mind Blowing (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

suki spangles

Wed 26th Oct 2016 00:54

Really evokes the night for me "dreamlike silhouettes". I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Comment is about Tidal therapy (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

suki spangles

Wed 26th Oct 2016 00:51

This has a definite beat poetry feel. Nice one!

Comment is about Racketeers (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

suki spangles

Wed 26th Oct 2016 00:46

Do you remember Spitting Image? I could imagine this kind of witty satirical lyric being utilised there - if it was broadcast now. Smart stuff.

Comment is about A whim away (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

suki spangles

Wed 26th Oct 2016 00:41

Colin,
Hope worthing wasn't too painful?? Celebrity..anything makes my brain melt. I really don't get the Bake Off thing either..

Tony,
Really appreciate your feedback. And thank you for taking tge time to read it. You will never get those five minutes back. What can I say?

Suki

Comment is about Bleeding-Edge Prophet (blog)

Original item by Suki Spangles

Martin Togher

Wed 26th Oct 2016 00:34

London loved you Laura! Enjoyed my comeback too!

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 25th Oct 2016 23:10

Drink more!

David.

Comment is about Guess I'm drinking again (blog)

Original item by Alexandra Rockwell Lorenz

Colin Hill

Tue 25th Oct 2016 19:56

oh gosh there is too much in these eleven lines Rose for my meagre mortal mind to comprehend - lines 6 and 10 especially - I believe man will eventually understand and define everything in the universe and in so doing will become god - I just don't like the fact that my own existence may only be justified as being part of a greater ongoing human destiny. Fuck!

I'm off to watch AutumnSpringWatch.

CπŸ˜ƒL

Comment is about thought immortal (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Tue 25th Oct 2016 19:56

Wonderfully daft and makes a nice change from the usual diet of serious emotional issues generally presented. Please more of this ilk Thomas.

Ray

Comment is about My auntie met a soldier (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Claire

Tue 25th Oct 2016 19:52

on my old account, where i went by the name of "Anonymous Please", the sample of my work that i used was completely just me letting out my feelings. the best part was that no one knew who i was, even my name, though i am happy to share that information now.

Comment is about Claire (blog)

Original item by Claire

Colin Hill

Tue 25th Oct 2016 19:36

really like the way you have used 'they' three times in the last verse.

let's hope a sinkhole opens up and swallows them into the bowels of eternal damnation - everyone deserves a good night's kip - should be law.
xx

Comment is about Racketeers (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Colin Hill

Tue 25th Oct 2016 19:27

a curious little poem with lots of little in-jokes? Leaves the reader a little confused or curious? I get the Devon Riviera touches but Judy Spiers doggie turn?

Comment is about With You, Our First (blog)

Original item by Tom (Neil) Clark

◄ Prev123 … 146147148149150 … 192 … 384 … 576 … 768 … 960 … 1152 … 1344 … 1536 … 1728 … 191519161917Next ►