Michelle

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 20:45

This is beautiful, I especially like the repetition of "so that I might have excuse
to keep you". The undualting lines in the format show how difficult letting go can be, one moment resolved to what must be done the next...finding an excuse not to. Beautiful.

Comment is about for a dead child (blog)

Original item by jeremy young

Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 19:13

Nature may not M.C. Newberry and if the fox or any other animal dies by natural causes so be it. Fox hunting in the manner we are discussing is not natural and those who engage in it are sadists.

Do you support the ban?

Comment is about For Fox Sake! (blog)

Original item by Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Martin Elder

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 19:06

Rose this is so refreshing to hear this from a woman instead of a bloke. Nice one

Comment is about Out of the blue (blog)

Greg Freeman

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 16:48

Thanks for this wonderful review, Laura. You really capture the excitement and joy of the gig in a way that old guys like me maybe can't!

Comment is about Hollie McNish - unassuming, inspiring, and making light of the internet trolls (article)

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 15:56

S-A...moving away from any political aspect in your lines -
it could be argued that "wrong" is pure semantics in the
natural world and death can come to any creature at any
time...anywhere. Mankind tends to adopt its own created
terms of reference "to suit" given circumstances...and
"wrong" and "right" are among them. Nature does not
recognise them or practise them.
Regards...

Comment is about For Fox Sake! (blog)

Original item by Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Travis Brow

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 12:41

Thanks Graham, now I'm really stumped. I'd started re-writing it and it seemed to be improving; getting closer to the feelings that prompted it. If i can come up with an alternate version, i may post it next to the first one, and see how they compare, should anyone else care to offer an opinion. Thanks again.

Comment is about A PENNY / LOST IN THOUGHT / THINK ON (blog)

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 10:42

Travis, keep it as it is. I thought it was very cleverly worded. Only think I'd change is the last line, too many syllables.
Good work

Graham

Comment is about A PENNY / LOST IN THOUGHT / THINK ON (blog)

Travis Brow

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 10:28

Not sure myself Colin, really. I kind of know what i'm aiming at but i realise i haven't nailed it. It's a bit messy because it reflects the uncertainty i feel about things at the moment. Written, and posted, in haste, perhaps. Still, thanks for having a look. I'll work on it.

Comment is about A PENNY / LOST IN THOUGHT / THINK ON (blog)

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 10:15

Stef! Where did it all go wrong lol!
The line that did it for me was....

"Southern Comfort sodden Saturday night/Sunday morning".

Great insight into the past, good work.

Graham

Comment is about 9teen6ties pill popping pussy hunter (blog)

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 09:34

can feel the frustration in this neat little piece Rose.That wanting someone you can't have is so torturous. xx

Comment is about Out of the blue (blog)

Colin Hill

Thu 23rd Apr 2015 07:59

ooh Trav, not sure what to think... there's lots of thinks to think about... but also some good lines too... I'm flotsam on a wave... starched in every fold... x

Comment is about A PENNY / LOST IN THOUGHT / THINK ON (blog)

Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 23:38

Both being equally wrong M.C. Newberry.

Comment is about For Fox Sake! (blog)

Original item by Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 15:27

While the fox has no natural predator to influence its
numbers, the irony is that the function has moved
from humanity on horse back chasing the creature in its
natural environment to humanity in cars running it down
in a man-made setting that allows far less chance of
eluding death.

Comment is about For Fox Sake! (blog)

Original item by Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Colin Hill

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 12:59

Hi Crystal, I don't mind the effing and blinding and it's good to clear the head but once the rant is over that's the time to make some changes and add the magic to your words. Good luck, we're all in the same boat. x

Comment is about Fuck You (blog)

Original item by Spoken_Thoughts

Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 12:36

" All this new, democratic, internet stuff is like launching little candle boats of poetic endeavour out on to the Ganges of universal criticism – I love it. "

Wow! Sums it up perfectly for me. I love it too :)

"The Manner of Her Going" - 44 words (if I counted correctly) creating a million explosions in my tiny head. That's what I call poetry.

Comment is about Harry O`N eill (poet profile)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Shirley-Anne Kennedy

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 12:26

Sorry about your wife, Harry :(

Very interesting re Traynor's story, will read more about him this evening.

So pleased to read you enjoyed the poems :) I will let Eileen know when I see her later today. She has worked so hard to bring this about and will be delighted when I tell her about your comment here.

Thank you.

Comment is about Remembering the Lancashire Fusiliers at Gallipoli readings in Bury and Rochdale (article)

Harry O'Neill

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 10:20

Chris,
How sad to hear of the death of Glenys. You are absolutely right to tell of the enormous amount she gave to the poetry scene. I have many happy memories of the events she compered with yourself an Natalie at the various locations. Her dedication (despite her poor health) was a shining example to us all.

We will be attending the funeral.

Comment is about Glenys Feeney: north-west poet and compere 'with sparkling wit' (article)

Dave Bradley

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 08:54

Glenys was a smasher - lovely warmth, appreciation of others and sense of mischief. The interplay between herself and the poets was a joy. The time she was carried up the stairs at Gallaghers, too unwell to climb them herself, was unforgettable. Queen of the evening.

Rory Fear

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 08:53

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93fDYUSGVnY please check out my poem "From Cynical to Spiritual" :-)

Comment is about Longlisted for the Melita Hume Prize 2015 (blog)

Original item by Joseph Robert

Harry O'Neill

Wed 22nd Apr 2015 00:43

Those excellent Gallopoli poems that this has
attracted reminded me strongly of the story
of a paralysed Gallipoli veteran that was told
to me some years ago.

I became very interested in the landings when -
during a pilgrimage to Lourdes with my seriously
ill young wife - I was told by a lady helper of the
sick that - as a girl - she used to see an ex soldier,
who was wounded at Gallipoli, sitting, paralysed
in a wheelchair, outside his house with a leather
`pack` on his head.

This man, after being previously wounded before
at Antwerp, had recovered and taken part in the
landing at V. beach at Sed-el Bahr. Some days later
during a charge he was hit by a spray of bullets some
of which lodged under his arm, paralysing it. He was
invalided home, and operated on a number of times
for both the arm, and (because epilepsy had set in)
for the previous head wound suffered at Antwerp.

Eventually he was one hundred per cent pensioned
off as incurable and left to spend his days sat outside
his home in the wheelchair with a leather -covered
metal plate on his head protecting a hole left in his
skull by the operation for the head-wound....It was
there that the lady helper (as a young girl) had often
seen him sitting.

The point of all this is that, after spending six years in
this condition, the veteran (Jack Traynor) got himself
to Lourdes, was cured, and became a fit working man.

Traynors own reported account of his cure can be read
on the internet under the title `I met a miracle`. And
also (I assume) In the records of the local Liverpool
newspapers of that time ( JULY 1923)

Sir John de Robeck`s `Gallipol landings Despatch`
is by far the most vivid account of the landings at
the Cape Hellas beaches.

My young wife died the following year.

Tue 21st Apr 2015 23:16

Alexandra, this is a mature piece with some exceptional words.
Podium of my corpse

Steel eyes which steal my thoughts

(this is excellent but I think the previous steel in boots should be changed).

Good work indeed.

Comment is about When I lie. (blog)

Original item by Alexandra Parapadakis

Cathy Crabb

Tue 21st Apr 2015 15:46

Thank you! x

Comment is about Louder Than Words (blog)

Original item by CathyLCrabb

Grace

Tue 21st Apr 2015 15:42

I heard you! Well done.

Comment is about Charley Genever (poet profile)

Original item by Charley Genever

Rose Casserley

Tue 21st Apr 2015 15:04

thank the powers that be for the great outdoors-what!?

my appreciations m'dears.x

Comment is about Towards the shoulders of a giant (blog)

Lynn Hamilton

Tue 21st Apr 2015 11:24

Hi Russ

Thank you for your comment on A&E. Chuffed that you felt it.

Comment is about Russ Litten (poet profile)

Original item by Russ Litten

Lynn Hamilton

Tue 21st Apr 2015 11:19

Hello Martin

Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment on Concrete Eyes. Much appreciated and glad you enjoyed it.

Comment is about Martin Elder (poet profile)

Original item by Martin Elder

Colin Hill

Tue 21st Apr 2015 08:29

Ta Steve. Sad but true tale of the breakup of a friend's marriage. x

Comment is about steve pottinger (poet profile)

Original item by steve pottinger

steve pottinger

Tue 21st Apr 2015 08:26

I love a well-constructed rant, and that is a *wonderfully* constructed rant. Made me chuckle and nod in recognition. Nice one, Ian!

Comment is about Something To Say (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

steve pottinger

Tue 21st Apr 2015 08:23

"Smiles become all languages."
What a beautiful line!
A poem to read and re-read. Thanks.

Comment is about Is this what borders do? (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

steve pottinger

Tue 21st Apr 2015 08:19

This poem ticks my boxes. I like it!

Comment is about coppery lunch (blog)

Original item by jeremy young

Martin Elder

Mon 20th Apr 2015 22:58

This is superb Lynn . The metaphor's used and the picture captured is marvellous.

Comment is about Concrete Eyes (blog)

Martin Elder

Mon 20th Apr 2015 22:55

This is another good poem Tommy. I love the opening lines in particular. Nice one

Comment is about Is this what borders do? (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Russ Litten

Mon 20th Apr 2015 21:26

Hello Mrs Hamilton

Thank you for reading and for your kind words. I've put a few more up this evening.

Comment is about It Is What It Is (blog)

Original item by Russ Litten

Mon 20th Apr 2015 20:49

Cheers Graham, your comments are always welcome as I know you pull no... Tommy ;)

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Mon 20th Apr 2015 20:46

Cheers Mike for your comment. I appreciate it. Tommy

Comment is about mike watts (poet profile)

Original item by mike watts

Mon 20th Apr 2015 20:45

Thanks Harry :) your comment is appreciated and welcome. Tommy

Comment is about Harry O`N eill (poet profile)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Mon 20th Apr 2015 20:44

Cheers Graham, Mike Harry. I always appreciate comments, though ofttimes I forget to respond. Cheers Tommy

Comment is about Is this what borders do? (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Lynn Hamilton

Mon 20th Apr 2015 19:39

Hello Mr Litten

I have just read through all your work and enjoyed every single word. You have pure talent. Look forward to reading more.

Comment is about It Is What It Is (blog)

Original item by Russ Litten

Mon 20th Apr 2015 16:28

can almost feel the wind in our hair.Well,Patricia can-tee hee.'Treasure casket of natures permanence' is a fab line.
Well written Rose! xx

Comment is about Towards the shoulders of a giant (blog)

Mon 20th Apr 2015 16:25

Steve,as they say,you are as old as the woman you feel!
ooer missis! Harry perhaps JC is having a long lie in.Who could blame him after all miracle working,walking on wild water and lugging a bloomin great cross up a hillside.Not to mention taking orders from five thousand people at once to make sure they all liked bread and fish.Tough titties if they didn't! xx

Comment is about Wearer of shit tinted glasses (blog)

Mon 20th Apr 2015 14:07

Thank you as always Harry, they literally were tumbling. My favourite was the "tinny cluck" of the pheasants.

Comment is about Harry O`N eill (poet profile)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Rose Casserley

Mon 20th Apr 2015 11:44

Graham and Harry.Two 'agreed with' sets of comments.I shall, when feeling less lazier,adjust accordingly.

Thanks again all.x

Comment is about Them outpacing us (blog)

Travis Brow

Mon 20th Apr 2015 10:42

You're very kind Cynthia, thank you. I'm going to London in June to visit the person i'm addressing in the poem - wish me luck.

Comment is about UP FOM LONDON. (blog)

Mon 20th Apr 2015 00:38

...and, indeed, MC that was what it was.

Comment is about BORDERS (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Harry O'Neill

Sun 19th Apr 2015 22:42

Stef,
A nice `what was it all about Alfie` one.

Most of our ageing population (including me) are now begininng to feel like this and wisely clinging to one or other of those thousands years old answers ( I mean surely by now someone should have come down to give us some sort of an indication?)

Comment is about Wearer of shit tinted glasses (blog)

Harry O'Neill

Sun 19th Apr 2015 22:28

Nat,
I like the way this sticks to the metaphor.

Comment is about Reravelling (blog)

Harry O'Neill

Sun 19th Apr 2015 22:25

Tommy,
This got me wondering if the historical usurping of poetry as the supreme art form by the novel is the reason why this type of suggestive, clue-larded, minimal, novella
type poems seem to win so many poetry competitions these days.

(I like the D.I.Y. element in this)

Comment is about Is this what borders do? (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Harry O'Neill

Sun 19th Apr 2015 22:12

Corr,
this seems to me to be one of those poems which wonders around in the land of no-whereness, no-whyness
or no-whoness, but never seems to ask itself why we should expect a where, a why, or a who.

After all, if that`s the situation - what are we worried about?

It seems too easy to just state the situation without some
enquiry as to why it is thus.

After the foregoing that last line doesn`t read real.

Comment is about What if this is all real? (blog)

Original item by Corr Lens

Harry O'Neill

Sun 19th Apr 2015 21:43

Graham,
particularly like lines six and seven.

Comment is about Up Marden (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Harry O'Neill

Sun 19th Apr 2015 21:28

Rose,
Stanza five is witty.

But the whole thing - while being true about the niftyeness of the suppliers - lacks a little criticism about us consumers.

The whole thing is based upon consumer (our?) greed and lust for innovation.

Not so much sell! sell! sell! as self! self! self! perhaps?

Comment is about Them outpacing us (blog)

◄ Prev123 … 229 … 458 … 687 … 842843844845846 … 916 … 1145 … 1374 … 1603 … 1832 … 2061 … 228422852286Next ►