John Eliot

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 16:05

I wonder if it shouldn't read:

One heart, one soul
are not enough
to draw meanings
expressions
as they used to be.
Can they no longer embroider
the craft of unspeakable thoughts
deeply weaving inner essences,
emotions, passions

I wonder
if life
after the natural apocalypse
might be a better time
to revisit
this stagnating machinery

Comment is about rusting (blog)

Rose Casserley

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 14:14

really lovely albeit sad poem Larisa.x

Comment is about Spring Meets Summer (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Rose Casserley

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 14:09

my kind of poem Jean,and beyond any doubt,your best one to date.Brilliant!x

Comment is about A QUESTION OF FREEDOM !!! (blog)

Original item by jean lucy thompson

Rose Casserley

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 13:59

you can relax guys! I was only trying to jerk a few tears.Cheers!

Lynn,re 'shed'-my pleasure.x

Comment is about weights (blog)

John Eliot

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 12:39

Just joined, David.
And what would we do without Miles?
I have a lot of his cds from different periods.

Comment is about John Eliot (poet profile)

Original item by John Eliot

David Cooke

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 12:29

Thanks for the comment on 'Miles'. Didn't know you were here, John!

Comment is about John Eliot (poet profile)

Original item by John Eliot

Julian (Admin)

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 11:25

I have oft quoted Adrian Mitchell before, and I shall quote him again:
Most people ignore most poetry
Because most poetry ignores most people.

Mark, brilliantly written. Do let the poetry world's best news editor, Greg, have full details of your show when you can.

A friend of mine was at a 'do' where someone said to Paxman, you're not big and you're not clever. Superb eh?

Comment is about Poets should engage with ordinary people much more, says Forward prize chairman Paxman (article)

John Eliot

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 11:12

Too right. What else can you say about the great man!

Comment is about Miles (blog)

Original item by David Cooke

John Eliot

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 11:01

Thank you for the welcome, Graham.

Comment is about John Eliot (poet profile)

Original item by John Eliot

Daniel Dwyran

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:41

Hello Graham
Thank you very much for your very kind welcome.
I hope to be able to contribute to the site and find inspiration from the like minded. I should have done this ages ago. I found 'Outlines' a very moving piece of work that just radiates warmth and love. Sincerely.

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Daniel Dwyran

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:18

It has love, sympathy and empathy and proves hindsight is a wonderful thing Lynn. Loved it.
(Now where did I put those earplugs)?

Comment is about Sleep? (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:13

Hello Becka

Welcome to Write Out Loud.

I hope you enjoy the site. We're really looking forward to reading some of your work and I know that you will be warmly welcomed by other WOL-ers too.

Thanks for already uploading a picture of yourself, it’s good to see what our fellow poets look like.

Have a good browse around, there’s lots going on and if you have the time to make some comments about the work of other poets please feel free. It’s the best way to get some constructive feedback about your own work too.
There’s always someone who’ll help you out with a problem, so just ask and someone will get back to you. It’s a friendly place, so welcome once again.

Comment is about Becka Brush (poet profile)

Original item by Becka Brush

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:12

Hello John

Welcome to Write Out Loud.

If you haven’t already added a picture to your profile please try and do so. It’s good to see what our fellow poets look like.

Comment is about John Eliot (poet profile)

Original item by John Eliot

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:10

Hello Daniel

Welcome to Write Out Loud.

Thanks for uploading a picture of yourself, it’s good to see what our fellow poets look like.

Comment is about Daniel Dwyran (poet profile)

Original item by Daniel Dwyran

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:08

Hello Matthew

Welcome to Write Out Loud.

Comment is about Matthew Sirigos (poet profile)

Original item by Matthew Sirigos

Daniel Dwyran

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:07

Saw the title and thought it may be something about a break-in at a Laugharne boathouse!
Ian this is superb. I will never be able to hear Bob sing this without a quiet giggle to myself anymore. Nice one.

Comment is about Robbing Dylan (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Tue 3rd Jun 2014 10:07

I seem to be in agreement with Isobel to a large extent here.

To me all seemingly relevant poetry must have a performance angle to it, even the major prize competition entries (the winners required to perform at some glitzy do) insist on this.

Being no lover of performance poetry and not willing to read publicly any work that I have ever written, competition entry would be out of the question for me.

As to JP's comments of suggested poetry navel gazing, it would appear that he does not appreciate the thriving performance scene.

Daniel Dwyran

Mon 2nd Jun 2014 22:10

"with eyes that warm

and lips that glide

her heart and mine collude, confide".

Just beautiful Christopher and portrays the inner subdued feeling of the male that somehow he knows the inevitability of his quest.

Comment is about She loves me not... (blog)

Original item by Christopher Dawson

Isobel

Mon 2nd Jun 2014 12:54

Maybe Mark is challenging what 'an ordinary man' really is, MC? As he says, the average Joe Bloggs might not necessarily have the same taste in poetry as Jeremy Paxman...

I'd say that quite a lot of live performance poetry is written to be understood and appreciated by a wider audience. The reason for falling book sales might be down to other factors. Perhaps like the great British pub and the town shopping centres, poetry and arts in general are suffering from the effects of the internet and all it brings with it...

Mon 2nd Jun 2014 12:16

I note a Paxman quote from this posting:
"aim to engage with ordinary people much more".
This hardly seems at odds with "I write poems for
the ordinary man"" in the comment from MMS2014.

<Deleted User> (12331)

Mon 2nd Jun 2014 10:19

Brilliant to hear this. Steve has never been good at selling himself and to see that he has managed to get this award on such a high profile shortlist is great.
There will be a lot of people wondering 'Steve who?' but hopefully not for much longer.
Can't praise him, his performances, his selflessness enough.
Bravo that young man.

Comment is about Steve Nash and Sophia Walker win Saboteur spoken word awards (article)

Mark Mace Smith

Mon 2nd Jun 2014 08:06

Paxo Poetry

It's entertaining to hear Paxman whinge
I hope to see him at the Edinburgh fringe
I'll be there too, performing my poetry
(It's called 13 Years An Artist - it's free!)

After my show is a Q&A session
I suppose you could call it an inquisition
If Jez is in the audience should I be cowered
After what he did to Michael Howard?

Nah, I'm not scared, why should I be
of a millionaire newscaster from the BBC?
I write poems for the ordinary man
Not really for the likes of Jeremy Paxman.

MMS2014

Isobel

Sun 1st Jun 2014 22:23

You shouldn't have posted this on the 31st Dave - it has a very short shelf life - much like the moth...

This is a sad one - reminds me of Madame Bovary for some reason. If this is an analogy for doomed romance it works very well. I think it can very easy to be dazzled by someone to the point that you stop looking elsewhere.

I like the subtlety of what you are saying. x

Comment is about The cost of fascination (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Sun 1st Jun 2014 21:45

Hello Rosie

Welcome to Write Out Loud.

Comment is about Rosie Vallack Mor (poet profile)

Original item by Rosie Vallack Mor

Sun 1st Jun 2014 21:44

Hello Mardell

Welcome to Write Out Loud.

Comment is about Mardell Lindsey (poet profile)

Original item by Mardell Lindsey

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Sun 1st Jun 2014 21:26

Yes, dear Lynn! Very nice and funny poem. Enjoyed reading it.

Comment is about Sleep? (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Sun 1st Jun 2014 21:17

Yes, Christopher! I have an idea what flies are for. The only reason they exist in this world is just to annoy you. :-) Think about it. May be if you change your attitude to their buzzing around haphazardly and see some order in their flying
they'll stop annoying you. Just try to concentrate your mind on them and with the strength of your thoughts you'll be able to let them go away. After all you are a man and they are only flies. :-)

Comment is about Can you see my flies? (blog)

Original item by Christopher Dawson

Lynn Dye

Sun 1st Jun 2014 11:13

Thank you very much, Constantinos, glad it amused.

Comment is about Sleep? (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

John Togher

Sat 31st May 2014 23:46

Thanks for the comments Dave. I guess I was in a very pessimistic mood when writing the piece, but I do take on board the comment about hopefulness, in that the poem probably does need the glint of hope amidst the cynicism. Currently mulling.

Cheers.

Comment is about Dave Bradley (poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

steve mellor

Sat 31st May 2014 13:34

Tripe Dave

I've never tried it either. It makes me gip just looking at it.
I was listening to an elderly lady who seemed to find the closing of the tripe stall a major drama. Meanwhile, the town is decaying. Strange what we find troubling

Hope to see you around some time

Comment is about Dave Bradley (poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

John Gibson

Sat 31st May 2014 11:57

Fantastic...

I totally resonate with that on all levels..

love & peace.. :)

Comment is about MY STRUGGLE (blog)

Original item by Mardell Lindsey

John Gibson

Sat 31st May 2014 11:43

Don't run Dude... relax.. take a deep breathe, slowly close your eyes and as you exhale..see that dot of white light as if you are looking straight into the sun..behind it is a complete different world..a world of love, peace and happiness..you just have to believe in it for it to grow..:)

Comment is about Drapetomania (poet profile)

Original item by Drapetomania

John Gibson

Sat 31st May 2014 11:33

Liked `Walkabout` Cool..:)

Comment is about David Franks: Walkabouts Verse (poet profile)

Original item by David Franks: Walkabouts Verse

Constantinos Kyprianou

Sat 31st May 2014 11:07

This made me laugh. I enjoyed reading this thank you for sharing!

Comment is about Sleep? (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Constantinos Kyprianou

Sat 31st May 2014 01:24

Comment is about Eros (blog)

Original item by Drapetomania

Lynn Dye

Fri 30th May 2014 19:56

Brilliant, Ian! I found it really funny and pans beautifully too. Well done.

Comment is about Robbing Dylan (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Lynn Dye

Fri 30th May 2014 19:51

I enjoyed reading this, good one.

Comment is about Eros (blog)

Original item by Drapetomania

Lynn Dye

Fri 30th May 2014 19:45

Brilliant poem, Solar, I enjoyed reading xx

Comment is about Haunting of the poppy fields (blog)

Lynn Dye

Fri 30th May 2014 19:44

Very sad, lovely poem, Solar. Like Patricia and Stefan, I hope it isn't personal.
Many thanks on kind comment on 'Shed'. xx

Comment is about weights (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Fri 30th May 2014 13:50

We can only dread to think what it was like, but you paint what must be a fairly accurate picture, gripping Ian as always

Comment is about Slamming Flies (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Jeff Dawson

Fri 30th May 2014 13:46

Brilliant Ian, every line hits the point!

Comment is about Passchendaele (Autumn 1917) (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Richard

Fri 30th May 2014 12:41

Very cool I like this a lot

Comment is about Everything Is Documented (blog)

Original item by John Togher

Dave Bradley

Fri 30th May 2014 11:19

As a poem, this is far better than most of what has been on WOL recently. The imagery is striking, the rhythm subtle and compelling. The 'down' feeling and flatness is communicated throughout by the vocabulary - damp, flickers, fake used twice etc. But even as a Leonard Cohen fan, I struggle with the unremitting pessimism, perhaps centring on the line 'exposing the truth of relations', which implies that everything can be seen through. Even in the 21st century it's still possible to believe that there can be something cheerful, sincere and life-enhancing about relationships and I'd kind of like to hang on to that.

Comment is about Everything Is Documented (blog)

Original item by John Togher

Emma

Fri 30th May 2014 10:16

Hello Graham,

Thank you very much for welcoming me, you are so kind.

I am so excited to join this community of talented poets and writers. I love reading people's work and hope to check some of your work out soon.

Thank you again.

Comment is about Em (poet profile)

Original item by Em

Emma

Fri 30th May 2014 10:09

Thank you for your positive feedback, I appreciate it.

I titled it "The Red Room" as red has connotations with love and the heart which is the main theme of the poem.

It is really about distance, not being with the one you love however, feeling within yourself that you are with them.

Comment is about THE RED ROOM (blog)

Original item by Em

Constantinos Kyprianou

Fri 30th May 2014 00:33

Comment is about The cup (blog)

Original item by Drapetomania

Thu 29th May 2014 23:16

Eyup! I could do without this competition in the parody stakes, Ian.
Cracking job and excellent shadow boxing with the original.
I had a go at this a little while ago, parodying my own parodies.

Comment is about Robbing Dylan (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Thu 29th May 2014 23:09

Powerful imagery, Graham.
i trust this is not a personal experience.

Comment is about Future Past (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Thu 29th May 2014 23:06

Try Babestation, Ian.

Comment is about the small matter of a white screen at midnight (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

John Gibson

Thu 29th May 2014 18:09

Hi Graham... Thank you for the warm welcome.. I just hope I can contribute in some way as well as broaden my horizons through reading the work of those who came before me.Peace & Love.. over and out... dub dub dub and all that.. :)

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

◄ Prev123 … 216 … 432 … 648 … 842843844845846 … 864 … 1080 … 1296 … 1512 … 1728 … 1944 … 215421552156Next ►