Emily Kate O'Sullivan

Thu 12th May 2016 09:23

I love this, my Mother is an OCD sufferer and this is great cant wait to show her.

Emily

Comment is about O C D (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wolfgar Miere

Thu 12th May 2016 09:13

This is an interesting piece Stu, I particularly like the ending as if the gardener is returning to meet his maker.

Thanks,

David.

Comment is about gallery (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Wolfgar Miere

Thu 12th May 2016 07:17

There are one or two readings of Yeats narrating this work, but I really like this rendition to music and words.

Just as a reference if you haven't listened recently.

Also a brilliant documentary by Bob Geldof By RTE/BBC a clip below. The entire programme is available on BBC iPlayer if you have access.

David

Comment is about A wanderings end (Homage to W.B. Yeats) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wolfgar Miere

Thu 12th May 2016 05:09

Hi elP,

a really interesting text, which if it was to literally fulfill itself, would evaporate from the page as it was being read.

Really enjoyed this,

David.

Comment is about wrinkled notes (blog)

Original item by elPintor

elPintor

Thu 12th May 2016 01:58

A reminder of untimely loss..

I saw this several months ago. The young woman singing is Belgian, though couldn't sound more like Kentucky than if she were born there.

Veerle Baetens in The Broken Circle Breakdown..

Thanks, David.

elP

Comment is about A wanderings end (Homage to W.B. Yeats) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

elPintor

Thu 12th May 2016 01:21

I'm reminded of the theme of loss which occurs when one suffers such violent indignities. I mean, when I read the first verse, it is apparent. And, there is the cycle of abuse.

It is the fragility of our own humanity, I would say.

I sit here thinking about how hard it is to even comment on this. And, then I think of how it must be to talk about this for anyone with firsthand experience. For the people who live through things like this and for those who love them and witness what they go through. It seems curious to me that society has romanticized (at least at one time) a culture of silence surrounding matters of "doing one's duty". Yet, this very condition of silence all but ensures the continuation of a cycle of violence that needs to be broken for the sake of all involved.

But, poems like this shed much needed light on these matters.

elPintor

Comment is about My Granddad. (blog)

Original item by Phil Kay

David Lindsay

Wed 11th May 2016 23:06

Thanks for the feedback!
A long way from my usual style of writing. I dare say it was brought on by rare Yorkshire sunshine and, of course, a glass or two of red wine :)

Comment is about Sunday Shiraz (blog)

Original item by David Lindsay

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 22:03

Thanks Helen,

a great heart.

David.

Comment is about Not dead yet (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Helen Elliott

Wed 11th May 2016 21:59

Thank you for reading and commenting.

Hmmm that last line - you got me thinking. I think it would change it significantly, the use of the word 'last' kind of brings the closure that the narrator needs :)

Comment is about I Bow To The Moon (blog)

Original item by Helen

Wed 11th May 2016 21:56

Hi Ray -
the chance of a bit of banter between this published/
recorded songwriter and your professional musician was
too tempting to pass up. Thanks for that!

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Helen Elliott

Wed 11th May 2016 21:53

Haha great stuff, Laura. The world is full of whingers. Greetin' faced as they say even further north! x

Comment is about Dear ‘Local Letters’ Regular Contributor (Name withheld) (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Helen Elliott

Wed 11th May 2016 21:50

'the most important being love'

Oh yes, I couldn't agree more :)

Comment is about Not dead yet (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 21:23

Again, great beauty in that. The story of a terrible damage, how many men and their families went through that absolute hell, it moves me to anger and tears the sheer fucking waste of it all. I had a great great uncle who died in the "High wood" shell followed him into a hole, boom.....gone. No-one from my family has ever visited his grave, which has been moved twice, I promise myself to go before I'm too permanently pissed to get on the ferry. Lovely poem even with the element of domestic violence it has retained love, understanding and forgiveness, which is so very important in all matters.

David

Comment is about My Granddad. (blog)

Original item by Phil Kay

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 21:14

Thanks so much for your reading, observation and comment Phil. It is very much appreciated.

David.

Comment is about Implosion explosion (après la bombe) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 21:12

I think if we are lucky we come to realise the important stuff, and the most important being love. So I guess your pretty close to the mark Phil.

Many thanks,

David.

Comment is about Not dead yet (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Wed 11th May 2016 20:43

I love tittle tattle (not northern as far as I know) and its great to perpetuate local words I think mithering is the only one I've heard in my wanderings. Lovely poem .

Ray

Original item by Laura Taylor

Phil Kay

Wed 11th May 2016 20:29

Sometimes mate, when I read your words I feel such pain for the shit you know to paint these pictures, and I aint no shrinking virgin.

I did once look into a room that had a foot wide hole in it, and used to contain a chinaman and a hundredweight of spuds, of which there was no sign!

Implosion explosion indeed, and I have now seen it expressed beautifully!

Thank you.

Comment is about Implosion explosion (après la bombe) (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Phil Kay

Wed 11th May 2016 20:22

I love the idea that as we lose all vitality we still know love. Is that it David? We come from love and return to it in the end?

Comment is about Not dead yet (blog)

Original item by Wolfgar

Phil Kay

Wed 11th May 2016 20:19

Everyones spitting gritting hitting shitting whimsical pastures of pestilential sepulchritude.

We never had dummies in Yorkshire we had to suck a stick!

I never tire of reading what you write Lynn.

Comment is about Dummy (blog)

Robert Mann

Wed 11th May 2016 19:56

Laura - thanks very much. Haiku are obviously condensed, but seem to be able to create a wide range of feelings for readers. I'm really encouraged that so many people are enjoying them enough to leave comments. Kind regards.
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Crying (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Robert Mann

Wed 11th May 2016 19:48

Laura - my word you have been catching up! Glad you liked this one as well. Many thanks.
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Vaporised (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Robert Mann

Wed 11th May 2016 19:46

Laura - thanks very much. I quite like that line too! It has a 'plinky-plonky' rhythm that emphasises the haphazard nature of their nests I think. Thanks for commenting.
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Nesting (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Robert Mann

Wed 11th May 2016 19:42

LCTPB - looks good and remote. Perfect writing conditions?
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Mother Love (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Hallie Elle

Wed 11th May 2016 19:40

Comment is about Hallie (blog)

Original item by Hallielle Rose Dawson

Robert Mann

Wed 11th May 2016 19:38

Laura & Lynn - thanks for the positive comments. They are always welcomed and appreciated.
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Falling Flowers (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Robert Mann

Wed 11th May 2016 19:36

Wolfie - I think my mission was always to convert you to the realisation that haiku is not just the discipline, although for me it is a driving personal force. I'm really glad you like some of efforts as I realise that your preferences lie elsewhere, so commenting must be genuine appreciation.
Many thanks.
Rob

Comment is about Haiku: Falling Flowers (blog)

Original item by Rob J Mann

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 19:17

Two dummies spat!

Wolfgar.

Comment is about Dummy (blog)

chris stevenson

Wed 11th May 2016 18:42

... thanks for reading 'Tourdion' Steve .. and thank-you for the comment .. best wishes .. chris.

Comment is about steve pottinger (poet profile)

Original item by steve pottinger

RBynum

Wed 11th May 2016 17:41

Victimizing the nieve, trusting, human... the pain after hits hard when ur in a small town, also. Might even be worse since there's only so many places to go to forget.. Your poem hit me hard, I appreciate it:)

Comment is about 3:14am (blog)

Original item by NicoleG

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 17:32

Thanks Ray, and MC as I'm sure you mean well so do I, just a bit of banter.

David.

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Lynn Dye

Wed 11th May 2016 17:28

True, MC.

Although actually, they lie before election as well, which is probably how they get elected! :o)

Comment is about ASSUMING THE POSITION (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Wed 11th May 2016 17:19

Thanks David , and thanks Mark for your lively exchanges based on a line expressing an opinion. My use of the phrase favourite things was an ironical reference to "these are a few of my favourite things" from the tune entitled "favourite things" in case of doubt. While these tunes are palliative and nostalgic and survive in many different versions, and represent a period which we should cherish, their performance in stiffly controlled environments can be stultifying, as far as I'm concerned, especially in an atmosphere charged with royal expectations and the fear that that brings. All is not what it may appear on the surface of things. The whistling of tunes by the way may soon be outlawed in public places in case of causing offence.
Anyway, I'm glad that overall you enjoyed the poem !!

Thanks Jemima - quite a lady she was, and worthy of repetition.

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Lynn Dye

Wed 11th May 2016 17:15

Cheers for the like, Rose.

Comment is about Questions of verity (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 16:47

"they give you strength" you can say that again Wendy.And they,the brave,put us moaners about insignificant things,to shame without any doubt.Thanks Wendy.Jemima.

Comment is about The Invictus Games (blog)

Original item by Wendy Higson

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 16:40

fantastic Ray! love the second line,definitely a 'wooh! get her!' haha.Thank you.Jemima.

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 16:37

You may have missed the point I'm talking about the players not the arrangers. Consult with anyone who actually has experience, you may find yourself enlightened. You could even ask Ray I suppose, he's a professional musician don't you know. But what would he know.

OIMO of course....

"can't touch dis"

David

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 11th May 2016 16:30

Any tune - "played endlessly" - may suffer the familiarity
that breeds contempt. But the trick is in the orchestration
that any bandleader worth his/her money can bring to any
melody/tune/song. The considerable tuneful output of
messrs P and B allow more choice than most and can
be whistled: the litmus test for combating boredom in
both player(s) and the paying public IMHO.
W - a thought: is it your knowledge of conflict that has you putting "flare" instead of "flair"?

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 16:27

think everybody knows we need 'daft stuff' Andy.Thank you.Jemima.

Comment is about More silly stuff.... (blog)

Original item by Andy Smyth

Wed 11th May 2016 16:12

Harry - agreed! Is it asking too much of our hard-pressed
security services to keep tracks of those allowed to
roam among us when given the benefit of the doubt they
would never grant to their targets via a law that appears
to act in one direction and resembles a colander?

Comment is about HUMAN FRIGHTS (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 11th May 2016 16:07

MC Maybe you should consider what its like to play them endlessly and rigidly without and dispensation for panache or interpretation, rather crippling on a musical soul I would imagine, but then again to a regimented one it might be bliss.

But as we are repeatedly informed by the elite and the well informed, its all a matter of personal opinion. I would like to know who's opinion I could actually have other than my own?

Answers on a severed head please.

Wolfgar, and not to be taken personally. x

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 11th May 2016 15:57

Love the rhyme choice altho' I can't comprehend that none
of the tunes ("Porter"/ "Berlin"?!) were "favourite things".
'They're the tops,
They're the best song-writing;
They're the tops,
With Gershwin, Schwartz and Whiting,
If you seek to find the cream of countless crops
There are plenty in the team but they're the tops!'
:-))

Comment is about MIDNIGHT IN MAYFAIR (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Wed 11th May 2016 15:48

A pertinent question that seems to have had no answer.
In historical terms, the event is an important marker that
has been properly recognised elsewhere.

Comment is about no poem for the queen (blog)

Original item by Stan Duncan

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 15:47

Patricia,I don't know if you have been published,but if not,you should be.This poem is so'professional' I absolutely love it! Thank you so much.Jemima.

Comment is about praising toleration (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 15:43

blimey Stan! can't believe that.Maybe you could do one for us? Thank you.Jemima.

Comment is about no poem for the queen (blog)

Original item by Stan Duncan

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 15:37

Rose,sounds like this guy had writers block from the start.At least you sympathised.Great poem!Thank you.Jemima.

Comment is about submerging in the mud of incapability (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Emily Kate O'Sullivan

Wed 11th May 2016 15:37

Really enjoyed this!

Comment is about Hallie (blog)

Original item by Hallielle Rose Dawson

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 15:31

aiy,P&S,thats the way it sometimes goes eh? Thanks guys.And thanks Josh and Steve.Jemima.

Comment is about Closure (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 15:30

sorry to hear about your sister Stef.It most certainly must have been unconditional love,but what price she did pay indeed! hope her life has improved now.Thank you.Jemima.

Comment is about punch bag (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

Jemima Jones

Wed 11th May 2016 15:23

hi Lynn and Joshua,thank you.Lynn,hope the weather was ok for you.Jemima.

Comment is about getting my thoughts in a thinking twist (blog)

Original item by Jemima Jones

Greg Freeman

Wed 11th May 2016 15:08

Liverpool and London, we cover the waterfront ...

Comment is about Ocean of difference? American and UK poets read together at the Troubadour (article)

◄ Prev123 … 208 … 416 … 418419420421422 … 624 … 832 … 1040 … 1248 … 1456 … 1664 … 1872 … 207120722073Next ►