Dominic James

Thu 3rd Sep 2020 08:18

Hi Greg
photo at Soller, great little railway from the capital en route to Deya, Majorca. You'd love it, Ray too!

David Cooke

Sat 30th May 2020 11:03

Hi Greg Thanks for the encouragement. Just hope a few people pick up on them!

David Cooke

Sat 16th May 2020 14:55

Yes, Greg, that was the one that got me started again after all that time. I had eight amazingly prolific years in which I must have written getting on for 300 poems until three years ago I stopped again. It is all a bit of a mystery to me. It seems to me that the real poems come unbidden and I don't need to chasing after the ones that don't need to be written.

Greg Freeman

Sat 25th Apr 2020 09:37

You're very welcome, Maria. Hope you stay, and add more poems to this site.

Maria

Fri 24th Apr 2020 20:33

Thank you for your lovely comment on my poem and your welcome- It was a while back, but I have only just seen it 😊
Maria

Philipos

Thu 16th Apr 2020 16:38

Greg, PIPS - glad you liked and what a plucky chap for sure. P. 👍

Don Matthews

Wed 15th Apr 2020 23:48

Glad you stopped to read Scroll Greg and got deep meaning from it.

😛

Philipos

Wed 8th Apr 2020 17:53

Greg, Creaking Gate, yes don't we all hope it isn't that ongoing. But then these events have been around for rather a long time - didn't I read somewhere about the 'seven plagues of …. in one of the ancient texts? Heaven forbid. P

Greg Freeman

Wed 18th Mar 2020 00:04

You're absolutely right, Phil. Sorry the word hadn't reached you. We cancelled March's poetry night at the Lightbox last week. And the Lightbox is closing its doors tomorrow for the foreseeable.

Philipos

Tue 17th Mar 2020 22:11

Greg, Leave to Speak - appreciate the comments - thanks. BTW I take it the Lightbox won't be open for business as usual this time round. Am I right?

Greg Freeman

Fri 30th Aug 2019 19:42

Thanks for that Lightbox message, Phil. Yes, little Kayla was marvellous. I have two lovely pictures of her which I have put on our Facebook site - maybe I should post them here, too. Her dad said it would be all right. There were 21 floor readers, plus Pete the featured poet and Rodney the compere. And thanks for your comment on my Three Kings poem. That was a pub where myself and fellow former newspaper colleagues met once a month from March 2013 until earlier this year. It changed hands, lost its rhinoceros, and we have moved to a pub a few staggers away, across the road. It's not the same - our pints often slide off the table and crash on the floor. Although maybe the subject of the poem has something to do with that ... that has never occurred to me before ...

Philipos

Thu 29th Aug 2019 22:03

Greg - I really enjoyed the Light House event, such a pleasant atmosphere - could you please let me have an idea of the numbers in attendance - I usually like to keep a note of these in my project book. Thought the African kid and family was simply fab. Blessings. P. ?

Philipos

Wed 28th Aug 2019 19:10

Hello Greg and thanks for the message. Am not sure if you know but I am on a determined campaign to have some of this junk mail (as delivered by our posties) stopped. I have 2 short eco poems (both seen by HRH Charles) to recite and will carry a stock of my Opt out forms for anyone wishing to stop receiving all this wasteful garbage through the door. If I could present early-ish - it would enable me a chance to scarper after the break, as I don't drive any more. Blessings. P.

Laura Taylor

Tue 23rd Apr 2019 13:48

Thanks for your note on The Ties That Bind, Greg. Wrote itself really quickly, funnily enough ?

Deffo going in the next collection! And in the set, soon as I get it learned!

jennifer Malden

Thu 19th Jul 2018 22:03

Hello Greg- thanks for the comment about Meditterranean August - have only just realized that incredibly it was POW
Jennifer

George Harris

Thu 5th Oct 2017 02:06

Hi Greg,

Thanks for taking some great photographs of us all from William Cornelius Harris Publishing Poets on Saturday at the Free Verse Poetry Book Fair. Would it be ok to use one of them for some publicity and profile image? I will give you credit.

All the best

George

Frances Macaulay Forde

Sat 26th Aug 2017 12:20

Thanks for posting 'Midnight Train to Bulawayo' - I enjoyed it! Were you there in 1997? How long did you stay?
As you know, I grew up in NR/Zambia from 1955 - 75. Last time I was there was in 1971 - a weekend trip to Salisbury for shopping and a new hairdo from Kitwe, on the Copperbelt in Zambia. I spent between 68 - 74 travelling and working between UK and Zambia. Back to Africa every time I got too homesick and saved up for the next trip to UK.
My little brother went to St George's in Salisbury so we'd go down to take him out for a Sunday lunch at Meikles every so often but I only went to Bulawayo twice on the way to SA.
I have added another African poem from my 1968 notebook to my profile... yes, I still have it. Ha-Ha!

Nigel Astell

Sat 6th May 2017 12:35

Write Out Loud without you Greg not even worth thinking about you are one of the main anchors and those two were just a mere scratch on this huge huge network!

Greg Freeman

Sat 6th May 2017 08:34

Thanks for tapping me on the shoulder about that, Nigel. It's the second time in a week I've made a mistake like that. Expecting my redundancy notice from Write Out Loud any day now ...

Nigel Astell

Fri 5th May 2017 16:05

Hi Greg,

Time Travel

To go back to a certain day
Knowing the words spoken in every detail
Might make you do or say something
That each comment uttered says without doubt
I have heard that poem told before
Not by a different person but you.

Just my way of saying you put down April instead of May
for the next meeting of Write Out Loud

David Cooke

Mon 2nd Jan 2017 17:53

Hi Greg Good to hear from you and pleased that my little vignette has gained your approval!

Fri 25th Nov 2016 21:00

Hi Greg; re The Old Kent Road. So pleased you read this , I hoped it might fit the bill. I do so enjoy these cartography exploits. Just like to slip one in now and again.
Of course that word should have been horde, it will be remedied. thanks for spotting it. Re open mikes, I think enjoying what you write is important and trying to infect the listeners. I hope that works for me at least. Not quite ready for a pulpit yet. Re Bricklayers Arms, it started life as a passenger terminus, and i'm sure I read that royal trains ran there at least once . An earlier version of i'm a celebrity get me out of here probably.

all the best as always. Ray

Greg Freeman

Thu 20th Oct 2016 11:01

Thanks for the ethical chocolate-buying tips, Colin, much appreciated. I used to buy Divine from our tea trolley back in the day - trouble is, I link that memory with the traumatic one of inadvertently flinging a cop of coffee through the vent of a very expensive computer. It sizzled for a bit, smoke started coming out, and then it went bang. Heads turned up and down the office. If they'd taken it out of my wages I'd still be paying for it now.

And thanks for your donation commitment to Write Out Loud, too. Very good of you, mate.

<Deleted User> (13762)

Wed 19th Oct 2016 20:51

you were asking about chocolate Greg - Divine is widely available and has extremely good ethics and traceability. Vivani is a German brand with good social and organic production policies - I particularly like their 85% dark and they do a 92% which is also nice - but only available in smaller shops and online. Equal Exchange is another good brand. Check out this link and watch for when they do a 20% off offer - yes they stock G&B's which I guess remains an 'ethical' company within the Mondelez empire:

It's good that the large multinationals have to some extent embraced the Fairtrade purchasing ethic but as you can see from the following link the situation remains rather confused and even though Cadbury's Dairy Milk says it's Fairtrade there is no guarantee the actual chocolate has come from a Fairtrade source as whatever Cadbury's buys ends up in their general supply chain. So the reality is you might be eating chocolate that has been produced under poor working conditions or even child labour.

I know WoL is not really the place to bang on about the rights and wrongs of Fairtrade chocolate but it's a subject close to my heart and we bang on about all manner of things here so why not, if only for a minute.

As I write Steve P has just sent me a begging letter so I promise to make up for my moment of campaigning and donate to WoL's worthy cause via PayPal. ?

All the best,
Colin.

Sun 31st Jul 2016 22:27

Ok Greg thanks for the clarification. I did submit three, so fingers crossed!

Ray

Wed 27th Jul 2016 17:00

Hi Greg. I'm getting a couple poems ready for the paradox competition before 31 July. Can you kindly tell me if stuff I've posted on WOL cannot be included, as most of it has been posted there. Cheers.

Ray

Mon 25th Jul 2016 17:20

Please, think nothing of it Greg. Football can of course raise hackles , like Gilzean's tackles (and headers that he was famous for)!

Ray

Sun 24th Jul 2016 17:12

Thanks for picking up on "1970" Greg, my first year as a pro muso. Much time spent mooching about trying to build up contacts(using the phone in the underground station believe it or not). Saturdays often to Spurs as mentioned. I have a diary for the year, and noted all the matches I attended. I can't find any games with Chelsea, but I note Spurs beat L'pool 1-0 . Some were achingly depressing like Wolves 0-0 in December with the walk home following. The most distilled aggression was felt for Arsenal at the time!
My aim was to write a poem in a style hopefully similar to the ones you often pen, with lots of detail to flesh out the journey. Always a pleasure.

Ray

Greg Freeman

Thu 14th Jul 2016 18:37

What a great story, Ray. Frank clearly wanted to teach your dancer how to yodel, too. You must have so many of these tales!

Sun 10th Jul 2016 19:48

I just read your review of the Bronte poetry event and love the journalistic skill - apropos of nothing I picked up the mention of Frank Ifield by Terry Andrex. Curiously I worked with him at Scarborough Floral Hall in 1977. I had done the journey in an Austin Countryman to be with one of the dancers (19, I was 33), so you can see why.
There was almost a skirmish as Frank had his eye on her from the start. I don't think he pulled her but I was off balance and maybe she played on my jealousy a bit. You can't keep a good yodeller down I say.

Thanks for reading Ray (Southern Jessie!)

Thu 30th Jun 2016 11:02

I was a bit previous Greg about the email! A confusing place is t'internet sometimes. I tried to get into reporting when I left school but failed brilliantly - in those days it was a notebook and pencil behind the ear.(music and photography beckoned).
Yes, I would love to come along to the Woking and have a day out. I am promised to a party and tinkling the ivories the day before, but Phyllosan at the ready in case of premature expiration.

All the best Ray

Tom

Thu 30th Jun 2016 10:02

Thanks for your comment on Ghosts On The Platform - I hadn't made the connection but had to immediately go and put that tune on after you mentioned it. Lovely!

Wed 29th Jun 2016 10:47

Sorry Greg just read your message on my profile page so forget all you have read. sincerely, Mr Paranoid.

Wed 29th Jun 2016 10:46

Hi Greg. In the wake of "Mohamed" on the site I am now a bit paranoid, so I got an email about the WOL open mike evenings (ostensibly from you) with an invitation to the do in the park at Woking sent also to all the usual suspects! I just wanted to verify if this genuine. Sorry for the inconvenience but with so many emails addresses on it I felt I had to make sure.

regards, Ray

Ian Whiteley

Tue 28th Jun 2016 15:39

thanks for your kind and supportive comments on 'a peaceful warrior' Greg - I'm pleased you liked it
Ian

Dominic James

Mon 27th Jun 2016 09:11

Hi Greg, thanks for link to accompany the Brompton Cemetery lines, all the peaceful green spots in town should be kept, in fair repair - and wilderness. That verse a last thought not included in a longer poem on return from a night at the Troubadour, when we didn't notice Morrison & Page around the corner,

...a rainy cup of Java and a tranquil hour
to kill, I stopped in at the Brompton cemetery garden
to dwell upon a death I brushed against...

Looking forward to the New Inn on 18th July.

Mike Weinblatt

Sat 30th Apr 2016 07:08

Hi greg

I knew Adrian very well, first met him at streates coffee bar, I use to go round on a sunday and have tea with him and joyce, he was a wealth of knowledge, in fact introduced me to the joys raymond chandler. Adrian stayed in my parents house after a cnd march, when we were in london. In his painting christ entrance to liverpool I'm next to arthur dooley near the front. I participated in his happenings at the hope hall. We nearly caught up in Cookham Berks, he had come down for a poetry reading, I was rehearsing my big band in a church in cookham, he I believed went to the wrong church. Oh yes, it's me on the saatchi site, I've always dipped the brush, Adrian did have one of mine,
fondest regards

mike weinblatt, jm weinblatt, lord shosti o'kovitch and once was mike vincent

Laura Taylor

Mon 7th Mar 2016 09:54

Thanks for your note on Mothering Sunday, Greg.

Mon 29th Feb 2016 20:37

the cheque is in the post Greg...;o)

David Cooke

Sun 14th Feb 2016 16:59

Hi Greg Thanks for appreciation of Wolfram, although I'm not quite sure if I've got it right yet. I have been tinkering with it quite a bit.Not sure I need to drag Ted in at the beginning, but then rhythm goes to pot when i take him out. I'll have to let it mull a while!

David Cooke

Sun 14th Feb 2016 16:59

Hi Greg Thanks for appreciation of Wolfram, although I'm not quite sure if I've got it right yet. I havcce been tinkering with it q

Greg Freeman

Sat 13th Feb 2016 10:33

A plug? You mean a news item, of course, David! Of course we're usually interested in a new publishing venture, especially with such a Larkinesque name. Do keep us posted.

David Cooke

Sat 13th Feb 2016 09:23

Hi Greg. Good to hear from you again & Hi Ray Thanks for encouraging comments about 'Manganese'. In passing I am soon going to be launchuing my new online journal and publishing venture The High Window along with co-editor Anthony Costello. I'll be in touch again in case you want to give it a plug. Might need a poem or two in due course as well!

Jon

Sun 7th Feb 2016 22:09

Thanks Greg for recent comment :)

Greg Freeman

Thu 4th Feb 2016 19:59

Very kind of you to say so, David. Likewise, I'm sure!

Tue 2nd Feb 2016 21:23

Thanks Greg , I'm glad you enjoyed the sleaze! A good night , and a tough spot to go on first but upwards and onwards.

Ray

Mon 11th Jan 2016 15:42

Greg I've answered this!

Graham

Mon 11th Jan 2016 15:23

Hi Greg, sorry to trouble you , but I wanted to change my profile picture and I can't see an easy way. I don't want to lose or confuse my existing profile page ! Any help out there? Ta.

Matthew Rutter

Fri 10th Jul 2015 10:34

Yes thanks I was aware, but I fancied reading at the "official" poetry event first. Plus I need to pluck up the courage.

Matthew Rutter

Tue 7th Jul 2015 16:04

Thanks for the kind welcome. Yes it is such an interesting place, the perfect subject matter. Is there is copy of the poem published or on here so I could have another read? I missed the last poetry session at the phoenix centre but I hear there is to be another in October hopefully I'll have something to read for then.

123456789Next ►