Jump to most recent response

How do you write?

On a recent comment about someone's poem that described how they write, this appeal was left

'I wish everyone would write a poem explaining how they write, I find it fascinating. I really want to know more about how everyone works'.

Do any WOL'ers want to let us in on their methods?
14 days ago
message box arrow
Quite often I think of a line or come across a line which I adapt and build up the piece around it. The line could be a first line or a final line, it's not normally in the body of the piece.

I try to start a piece with a line or a couple of lines that encourages others to read on. I also like to have a last line that provides an amusing, thoughtful, or at least a natural ending.
13 days ago
message box arrow
For me, the idea has to present itself. It might be via something I read, something I hear on the radio (I have stopped the car before now to write something in my notebook) something I see, who knows.

I then follow the advice of most writers, get it down on paper. When I have several ideas around the subject I transfer it to the computer screen and save it as a draft.

Each work has to work hard and lots of editing has to refine the lines. Never be satisfied. In the past I had the notion that once released a piece couldn't be changed. Not now, edit edit edit!
13 days ago
message box arrow

Ellaphant

shouting into a loud void on the internet in hopes for loving echos back.
11 days ago
message box arrow
I like to tell a story, so I usually start with the story in mind. If possible I like to have a first line that is going to grab the attention.

I like to try and inject some humour, and if it works I like to have a line or two repeated throughout.
10 days ago
message box arrow
Inspiration comes in many ways. For me, as Graham stated, it can be something seen or heard that sparks an idea. Sometimes the idea flows freely and presents itself quickly. Other times it takes a few or even very many drafts and the completed piece may take weeks, months, or even years. I write in many styles so mood and environment often play a role. A dictionary and thesaurus are also very important. Write on my friends!
8 days ago
message box arrow
I used to jot ideas down but only be able to craft my poem at a proper keyboard where I could easily play around with text.

Nowadays I don't have a keyboard so it on a phone emailed to myself.

Something would have to irritate, or bemuse me. I don't tend to write when I'm very happy. I do like comedy though and would like to write more funny stuff. Something has to spark that though. One of my favourite funny poems was sparked by someone else's poem - a riposte. That's why it's so important to listen to each other.
7 days ago
message box arrow
Try to remember to always carry a notebook and pen with you. There will be things you see on the bus or train, or more likely overhear. I was on the train into London a couple of days ago, and fuming at having to listen to someone's personal life at top volume in the quiet carriage. Suddenly they started talking about foraging for edible mushrooms, and I found it so interesting I had to jot it down. So conquer any temptation to tell them off, and just keep listening!

What a nice surprise to see you on here, Isobel!
7 days ago
message box arrow
Awww that's kind of you to say Greg. I'd be your worst nightmare to sit next to on a train though. We speak loudly in my family and we chat a lot 😃

I've enjoyed dipping back into WOL. It was a second home for many years!
5 days ago