Tom Harding

Tue 14th Nov 2017 18:35

Ray thanks for the comments, I've always appreciated your feedback on my poems, will let you know about the book availability next month when hopefully I know more.

Sat 28th Oct 2017 11:37

No voice is more real than your own, literally or poetically.

(Just did a recheck on your bio. There are so many fine works on WOL, I like to refresh my memory of the actual writers too.)

Hannah Collins

Fri 27th Oct 2017 18:36

Thank you Ray so much for your comment on my poem The Bound Bird. Really appreciated.

Hannah

Ian Whiteley

Mon 16th Oct 2017 10:56

thanks very much for commenting on 'Bait' Ray - glad you liked it - I'm hopeless at visiting WOL site at the moment - so only get to see comments when I come back to post something new - so sincere apologies for delay in responding - I really must make more of an effort to visit and contribute

David Cooke

Sat 7th Oct 2017 09:03

Hi Ray Glad you liked the 'Cities' poem! They're all going up on my FB poetry page now (with others):

David Cooke

Wed 13th Sep 2017 06:31

Hi Ray Glad you liked my Sri lanka poem. Don't know if you bother with FaceBoook but I have have started off a poetry page on it to give a bit more exposure to some of my older poems that have been buried in various collections over the years. Here's the link:

I'm planning to put something up every week or so.

Maybe you could 'like' it.

David

Hannah Collins

Mon 4th Sep 2017 17:45

Hi Ray, thanks for your comments on my poem The Man On The Corner. I look forward to getting to know your work.
Hannah

Dominic James

Wed 30th Aug 2017 08:41

Hi Ray, thanks for your feedback on On Leave, encouragement always appreciated. The first line, possibly the last line, belongs to Ernie Pyle, WWII correspondent who, as you may know, was very popular for his companionable, unhyped stories from the front, for the folks back home, who are involved too, of course.
Dom.

David Cooke

Sat 12th Aug 2017 09:20

HI Ray I'm so glad you like my Antoinette poem and I think that your comment is a pretty good poem in its own right!

David Blake

Mon 26th Jun 2017 23:33

Thanks for your comments on 'The Roast' Ray...a pleasure to hear your take, as always. DB.

kJ Walker

Tue 13th Jun 2017 07:17

Hi Ray. Thanks for commenting on Grandad Slugshaw. As always your comments are much appreciated
Cheers Kevin

Tom Harding

Mon 5th Jun 2017 21:31

Hi ray, thanks for the kind comment on my potw much appreciated!

keith jeffries

Tue 30th May 2017 11:41

Hello Ray, thank you for your comment on A Wartime Journey. I was born in January 1948 so am only able to recollect the aftermath of the war in and around Birmingham. My poems covering this period and also the Great War are taken from the experiences of family and friends who lived through these times. I hope I do justice to their memories. Later this year I hope to publish a book which will include two sections of poetry devoted to the World Wars. Iยดll keep you posted. Thank you again for you comments as always they are much appreciated. Keith

Ian Whiteley

Sat 20th May 2017 12:51

Aye Up Ray - thanks so much for commenting on 'Gone' I'm pleased that you liked it - but it's sad, in a way, that it had to be written at all. I appreciate your feedback mate
Ian

kJ Walker

Sun 14th May 2017 10:20

Hi Ray. Thanks for your comments on "Shut Thi' Clack".
I've been looking at, and listening to Stanley Holloway Monologues, since reading your comment. I'm flattered to be even mentioned in the same sentence as this great old master. unfortunately if you'd have heard me trying to read you'd withdraw your comment. I fell flat on my arse on my last two attempts. (something I'm going to have to work on)

Cheers Kevin

keith jeffries

Sat 13th May 2017 22:19

Ray, Thank you for commenting on the poem Lost and Held. I was 11 years old when my aunt drew my attention to the house in question and what had taken place during the war. It has always remained with me. An awful display of grief. Thank you again. Keith

keith jeffries

Thu 11th May 2017 18:55

Ray, thank you for commenting on The Tango. It is something which is all too familiar where I live. I have grown to love the music which is so rich in drama. Much appreciated as always. Keith

Stu Buck

Tue 11th Apr 2017 04:22

hello ray
not sure where i picked up on it, my brain is patchy, but congrats on having a pamphlet published. it is richly deserved, your work is funny, touching and intelligent, often all at once. as soon as it is available please let me know so i can buy one.
wonderful stuff.

keith jeffries

Fri 7th Apr 2017 09:25

Hello Ray, Thank you for commenting on Just after... Your comment was true indeed. I waited for my sweets which I shared with my Nan. They were always humbugs. It was a different world. Thank you again. Keith

Ian Whiteley

Mon 3rd Apr 2017 12:59

thanks for the kind comments on 'returning home' Ray - you have understood EXACTLY the meaning of this piece - thanks very much for taking the time to comment
Ian

David Cooke

Sat 11th Mar 2017 06:27

Hi Ray Thanks for kind comment on Prickly pear. David

Fri 10th Mar 2017 19:08

Ta Ray for your comment re "Lift" Tommy

C Byrne

Thu 9th Feb 2017 10:21

Thanks for the comment Ray. It's a self-portrait ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Have you ever been to Aldeburgh poetry festival? Well worth a visit...

elPintor

Mon 6th Feb 2017 00:07

Hey there, Ray,

Thanks for commenting, AGAIN, on "..to make something beautiful". I agree that the comments are insightful..a much desired affect of putting one's writing in public view. I've come into much more than I would've expected from such an open and varied forum..and, I know that I have people like you to thank for that, Ray..

..now back ya' go, like a good fella'..

elP

Paul Waring

Tue 31st Jan 2017 09:23

Hi Ray, I just want to thank you again for writing and posting Cursory Rhyme (fantastic title). I am deeply touched that you wrote it with my missing poems story in mind and the dedication was a lovely touch. Mike Hubbard genuinely made me laugh out loud (a LoL on WoL!), and I kept grinning for ages after.

Thank you my friend, I'll remember this thoughtful gesture.

Paul

Louise Hogg

Wed 25th Jan 2017 18:40

Thanks for commenting on my poem Whitby Abbey. I think the Dracula influence is key for me. I once sat and read the text to my children at sunset sat on the hill overlooking the Abbey. I love it there to this day.

Ian Whiteley

Fri 20th Jan 2017 20:34

thanks for commenting on 'Down In The Hole' Ray - yes - a lot of the story is based on family and friends who did work down the pit and were affected by Thatcher's disregard for community in her pursuit of unsound economics. I lived right at the centre of the Yorkshire coal fields and a lot of my friends and relatives worked the mines. Thankfully my parents pushed me so that I didn't have to - and I'm thankful for it
Ian

Colin Hill

Fri 20th Jan 2017 19:36

aythangyow Ray - I will take a gander on the i-diddly-i-player when I get a quiet few mo's - thanks for the heads up.

I remember as a child I used to get very excited when a particular female singer came on stage and sang Sweet Georgia Brown. Bizarre but true. And later in life I worked on the stage door at the Grand Theatre and occasionally ran errands to the Leeds City Varieties although I never actually got to see any performances there. Altogether now:

Come, come, come and make eyes at me
Down at the Old Bull and Bush
Laa la la la la....

I fear some of our international readers will not have a clue what we're talking about Ray!

Stuart Bright

Sat 7th Jan 2017 01:29

Thanks for taking the time to comment on Panic in the Paddock, its very much appreciated! It was the first time I tried writing in that style and I'm glad it came across well.

Cheers

Stu

David Cooke

Sun 1st Jan 2017 11:13

Hi Ray Glad that you are also a jazz fan!

elPintor

Fri 23rd Dec 2016 01:51

You know, the mind is an odd thing. I recently heard (through a post here on WoL) of someone who referred to Hitler as a house painter. Read some time on the "Red House Report" or maybe about the gas chambers--"the little red house" or the "little white house" at Auschwitz-Birkenau.

elP

ps
Sellers' comedy was brilliant. It seems to me that comedy isn't only meant to make people laugh--it should also make them examine the world around them a little more closely. Though, it's likely that those who would've benefited most from understanding it simply couldn't understand it.

Laura Taylor

Wed 21st Dec 2016 13:03

Howdy Ray - sorry, not been around much, but just catching up and wanted to congratulate you on your POTW ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Well done, and thoroughly deserved ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Hope your home fires are burning ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Jemima Jones

Sat 10th Dec 2016 11:56

Ray,just nipped on to tell you that the Van Gogh film-Lust for life-is on BBC2 at 1-30 today.

Stu Buck

Thu 8th Dec 2016 19:11

hi ray
david cant make it so im staying in bed. i will endeavor to make it next year as early as i can.

many congrats on POTW, about bloody time too

Colin Hill

Mon 5th Dec 2016 09:59

hi Ray - thanks again for your extra comments on blackamerica - much appreciated and yes I think you have the gist of it. As I replied to Martin just now - the poem ended up doing what it did - if that makes sense - so I'm all smiles.

C๐Ÿ˜ƒL

Colin Hill

Fri 2nd Dec 2016 22:49

Thanks Ray. I was confused but also laughing as previously Travis had written my name instead of yours and then you wrote my name instead of Travis!! I'm taking it as a compliment that I was in both your minds for whatever reason. Hope you're less out of sorts tomorrow. Take care. Colin.

Jemima Jones

Wed 23rd Nov 2016 20:26

Ray,getting the impression(no pun intended re my Van Gogh poem)that you are something of a film buff,may I ask if you have seen the Kirk Douglas portrayal of Van Gogh,in the film titled 'Lust for life' ? If you haven't,I strongly suggest that you 'Net' it-pun intended! Thank you.Jemima.

David Blake

Sun 20th Nov 2016 01:53

Thanks for your time and words on 'Anonymous' Ray. I always appreciate your insight. And I'm glad you found it to have a slightly 80s touch - I definitely take that as a compliment! DB.

Colin Hill

Mon 7th Nov 2016 07:58

We had some great colours back in the 70's - purple was popular on Capri's and Triumph Stags and beloved by male hairdressers too if I remember correctly. Them's were the days!

Ian Whiteley

Tue 18th Oct 2016 12:27

thanks for your kind comments on 'Eater Of Worlds' Ray - checked out your own post and it contrasts nicely - the problem with such a graphic news story is that we poets all see the potential for the imagery and nerve shredding - but the perspectives are always refreshingly, subtly different. Good stuff mate
Ian

Trevor Wainwright

Mon 17th Oct 2016 14:53

Thanks Ray for you comment on my Haiku

David Cooke

Mon 17th Oct 2016 13:34

Glad you liked the Dylan poem, Ray. I wrote that back in 2008 and it was my first new poem after a twenty year poetic hiatus. Been pretty busy since though!

Laura Taylor

Mon 17th Oct 2016 09:21

Morning Ray

Thanks so much for your note on Predator, and for your good wishes for That London ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

David Cooke

Mon 26th Sep 2016 06:40

Hi Ray Glad yoiu liked the High Window. I co-edit it with Antrhony Costello. By all means try us with some poems, although I'm afraid competition is pretty stiff and and the winter and spring issues are now full. ASnything that comes in now will be considered for issue #6 in June.

ken eaton-dykes

Sun 25th Sep 2016 10:57

Hi Ray.

Thanks for your comment. Much appreciated

Ken.

David Cooke

Fri 23rd Sep 2016 18:23

Just thought, Ray, you ,might like to check out my recently launched online journal The High Window. Here's a link:
David

David Cooke

Fri 23rd Sep 2016 06:53

Hi Ray, to be ahonest I have agonized with thaty ruddy Penguins poem! I have nagged away at it even when I thought it was not really worth it. I've had a couople of comments, including yours, that encourage me to think that there might be something there. I did also wonder about keeping 'a bowl of air'. it's in italics because it's a translation of 'un bol d'air' the French for a 'breath of fresh air'. Mind you, your interpretaion is quite interesting so I might keep it in for that! I could put maybe a 'breath of air' but that's a bit ordinary. I think I need to leave it for a while and move on!

elPintor

Sat 10th Sep 2016 23:48

Hey, Ray,

Thanks for your comments on my writing--on "night vision" in particular. You have a notable talent for expressing your personal observations..I really like the way you pour your thoughts out.

elP

steve mellor

Sat 27th Aug 2016 21:45

Hello Ray
Chuffed you enjoyed Fatty McL, and that you took the time to let me know.
Strange how this tale came about, but isn't everything?

David Blake

Sun 21st Aug 2016 16:04

Ray, thanks as ever for your patience and your positive words. 'Victory Hill' was initially intended to be a more overtly political piece. I was going to touch on social welfare, the NHS and the decline I foresee in both as we travel into an uncertain future. In the end I went for something a bit more over-arching. Those on the lower part of the 'hill' represent an ignorant youth and a new kind of overclass I see developing. Meanwhile, the older, wiser lot at the top are looking back and pondering over how it all went wrong...

123Next ►