Sat 23rd Sep 2017 18:15

Stu, thanks for your most recent comment. I've changed the'poem' a bit, and I'm only hoping I've not spoiled what you liked.

It refuses to be 'categorised' as any 'type' of form. It just fights back. And so I let it be what it is. I'm not sure it's 'poetry' at all.

keith jeffries

Sun 20th Aug 2017 13:41

Stu, thank you for your recent comment on my latest poem. I understand what you say. Poets seem attracted by human existence and the world about us which provides a good deal to think about. I first approached religion in a rationalistic way. How did this all come to be? Why am I here? Then there is the faith approach of belief with little or no evidence. This path invariably steers people into some kind of institutionalised religious grouping be it Church , Temple or Mosque. I developed a faith but soon could not cope with institutionalised religion as I found it corrupt and controlling. As I apporach the age of seventy I would describe myself as a free thinker with a profound faith but not one determined by others. Thanks again for your comment. Keith

elPintor

Thu 17th Aug 2017 01:11

Thanks for the comment on my profile picture, Stu. I sketched that years ago when I was spending much too much time in solitude and it is one of the few things that survived my return to the world.

I hope things are going well with your writing, fella..it's very good to hear from you.

Rachel

Wed 2nd Aug 2017 15:57

Stuart, there is no Sale poetry evening in August; it is a 'holiday' month for the MC's. For us all. At least, that's what I understand. Just in case you were planning to join us again, please double check.

And thanks for your supportive comments, always.

Martin Elder

Fri 14th Jul 2017 17:28

HI Stu
Just wondering whether you are considering under the fable in Manchester this year

Martin

elPintor

Wed 5th Jul 2017 02:21

Hey, Stu! These are for you, proceeding your adventure with the owls..

..just wanted to say I'm thinkin' about ya', dear fella...

elP

Dominic James

Wed 28th Jun 2017 16:30

Hi Stu
Thanks for your line on Thelma and Louise, that's a real compliment coming from you.
Dom.

David Blake

Mon 26th Jun 2017 23:37

Hey Stu, thanks for your comment on 'The Roast'. It means a lot. Keep up the good work yourself! DB.

Ian Whiteley

Thu 25th May 2017 14:28

Thanks for your kind comments on 'The Mayfly Dance' mate - I'm pleased you liked it - not mu usual stuff, I tend not to go in for that 'love poetry' thang

Ian

elPintor

Wed 17th May 2017 22:28

I've just started reading Vuong's work and--you're right--he's fantastic. I don't buy much poetry but I'm definitely considering his book. You couldn't have made a more welcome suggestion.

Rachel

Wolfgar Miere

Wed 10th May 2017 20:39

Hi stu, thanks so much....your comments are very much appreciated.

I have to say I have been revisiting your work recently and I feel I should have done more acid when I was younger, your imagination infuriates and amazes me, with the greatest respect.

Much love,

David.

Sun 23rd Apr 2017 14:35

Stu, I had been anticipating your 'visit' to Sale for months. I'm sure glad I didn't miss it.

Re 'Four Trees and A Girl'. If it is possible to have a 'favourite' of one's own work, this might be mine. Or not. I often read it just for myself because it makes me feel so good deep inside.

I find this element of detachment making it possible to read my own poems objectively very intriguing. And it certainly isn't self-love. Or arrogance. If a poem of mine doesn't reach that level of separation, I lose it. Or set it aside for more consideration. Usually the latter, because I value the power of a 'first idea'.

Martin Elder

Wed 19th Apr 2017 11:50

Hi Stu
It was great to catch up with you last night. your poetry was fantastic as usual. As I mentioned last night it is worth attending Marsden Jazz festival in October. Julian will be publishing it no doubt closer to the time. Also around the same time is the Chorlton literary festival which is around the same time and will also be on the WOL web site nearer the time. Both of these events get packed so they are good places to get known. All the best with the book. I look forward to more posts. Hope to see you again soon
Cheers
Martin

elPintor

Wed 12th Apr 2017 23:55

Looking forward to reading your recently published work, Stu..

All the best to you,

elP

Natasha Townsend

Mon 10th Apr 2017 18:23

How exciting! Drop me a line when it's published! Woop woop, go Stu! ๐Ÿ˜ ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŒˆ Xx

Natasha Townsend

Sun 9th Apr 2017 23:14

Yo Stu! When's your book out and where will it be available?

From,
A. Fan ๐Ÿ˜œ

Jamie

Thu 30th Mar 2017 20:00

โ™กโ™ก I love your work

Ian Whiteley

Fri 17th Mar 2017 01:04

thanks for commenting on 'devil on my right shoulder' Stu - as always you are very perceptive - and the black dog comment was there to signpost that, sometimes, writers can be sidetracked into dark areas when doubts and insecurities creep in
I appreciate your insightful comments, as always, mate
Ian

David Redfield

Sun 5th Mar 2017 16:23

Thanks Stu for the kind comments re the two bird pieces.

Very best
Dave R

elPintor

Mon 13th Feb 2017 00:04

Hi, Stu,

I just wanted to thank you for commenting on "..to make something beautiful". And, I hope things are going well with your writing in and outside of poetry. You show quite a unique perspective through it and that, in itself, makes your work invaluable, truly.

elP

Ian Whiteley

Sun 5th Feb 2017 18:44

thanks or the kind and supportive comments on 'Janus' Stu - really pleased you liked it
Ian

Paul Waring

Tue 24th Jan 2017 00:17

Thanks Stu for your kind comments about 'Tragedy', so pleased you enjoyed it. Until I joined here last month I hadn't written much, so I'm still very much developing. Receiving this kind of positive feedback really encourages me to keep writing. Many thanks again. Paul

Sun 4th Dec 2016 13:52

Hi Stu. I just wondered if you firmed up a visit to Send poetry in December as yet. You mentioned you might get a doss at Davids' ; if not is there still a chance. I'm a one bedroom man in a bungalow so very tricky but If no luck i'll have a word with Greg Freeman who might have a few ideas.

All the best - good news coming shortly!

Ray

Ian Whiteley

Mon 31st Oct 2016 14:54

thanks for your insightful and supportive comments on 'Fairy Cakes' Stu - I've responded on the blog as I needed to answer both yours and MC's point in a 'contrast and compare' way.
Thanks for commenting as always
Ian

Ian Whiteley

Tue 18th Oct 2016 12:24

Thanks for the comments on 'Eater Of Worlds' Stu - appreciate it. The Wigan thing went well - we'll catch up some other time I'm sure - always family first :-) I have a morbid fascination with clowns due to the reading of Stephen King and Peter Straub - the all time classic spook out is 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' film and book - cheers
Ian

Sun 16th Oct 2016 16:21

Thanks for commenting on I Killed the Monster. Is it me or the world that's insane? I picked up a book of Cohen's poetry yesterday funnily enough. Top man.

Ray

Tue 11th Oct 2016 10:41

Apropos of my comment on Mechanism, Stu, my computer has been for a clean up from malware ( a sort of haemorrhoids of the jacksie(pain in the ass). Thanks for asking. Hope you are ok . I'm revving up for getting my poetry out in the wider world at the moment !

Regards Ray

Ian Whiteley

Thu 6th Oct 2016 15:51

thanks for the continued supportive comment Stu - I also checked on WOL before posting 'Rosetta...' and couldn't believe no one had posted already - pays to be quick eh? From one Yorkshireman to another - I was also moved by those final pictures - not that I'd share that with non-Yorkshire folk you understand - oh, wait a minute....*wink*

Ian Whiteley

Sun 25th Sep 2016 13:37

thanks for the comments on F34r Th3 Numb3r5 Stu - something a bit different and way too difficult to write easily - cheers

Ian Whiteley

Mon 19th Sep 2016 16:21

Thanks for commenting on 'Black Bear' Stu - glad you liked it. Really enjoying some of your poetry as and when I catch up on here - hopefully will see you somewhere on the circuit soon
Ian

Sat 17th Sep 2016 22:59

About The Storm - really gratifying that you liked this so much Stu. It was an intense experience and I had to rise to do it justice. Scared is good for the juices I think.

Maybe POTW will one day will be put to a vote like they do on telly! But we know there is a red leather door and machinations...... thanks anyway.

Ray

Sat 17th Sep 2016 16:29

Just to let you know Stu, myself and good lady went off to the New Forest in a log cabin type break for four days, quite nice, and no poetry thoughts at all but since I got back there are two on the back burner! We got caught overnight in a helluva storm like millions of others.

regards Ray

Fri 9th Sep 2016 19:23

Just coming back on your comments on Shut Down Stu.
I very much appreciate the spirit of your thoughts. I had an idea and fleshed it out quite quickly - the idea of a factory closing and taking its time and its toll, then thought how similar this was to a body doing the same. I suppose this all comes with experience of life as you say. Very pleased that you should appreciate what I am doing and I wouldn't say it was rash - honest yes. I was pleased with the last line, it seems to me that desperate people invest imagined hope in close ones, perhaps.

Thanks again, Ray

Adouda ADJIRI

Fri 9th Sep 2016 11:34

Hi Stuart,

I found Nerium very touching. Good job!

Adouda

Sarah Hill

Tue 6th Sep 2016 05:54

Hiya Stu,
Thank you for your comment on my insomnia poetry. Glad you liked it and a massive thank you for the sleep podcast advice.
Hope sweet sleep and dreams find you.

Sat 3rd Sep 2016 17:43

THanks Stu for commenting on The man in the White Coat. I thought I'd left a thanks but now I can't trace it. It's a bit freaky like the trip itself. I always refer to the pharmacy as the science fiction end!

Ray

Sun 28th Aug 2016 18:53

I'm pleased you liked the Matt Baker poem Stu. Thanks.
The trouble is with this kind of thing is the amount of time taken to get the simple flow of the words right. I was pleased with Ilk la Moor baht at.

Ray

Ian Whiteley

Fri 12th Aug 2016 23:24

thanks once again for the supportive comment on '...old lamp' Stu - I feel guilty when I use an e-reader - it feels like cheating on a proper book - always leaves me feeling cheap and dirty... *wink*
Ian

Tue 2nd Aug 2016 19:46

Thanks for your helpful advice re publishing. I am a bit miffed now as I put so much of my content on WOL and would like to start submitting to small presses and the like. Given the expectation of rejections in the normal way it seems a bit depressing to add to the problem.
I suppose one could re title and change some of the earlier stuff. This rule obviously applies to competitions as well I guess.

Anyway you've given me flesh to hang my bones on!!

Cheers Ray

Mon 1st Aug 2016 13:56

Ta, Stu. Brevity is all. Actually a point I wanted to ask you in your capacity as a printed poet. I entered a competition, as was told that blogs on WOL constitute publication therefore invalidating them from any further chance of print. Other than deleting them individually, have you any advice from an old virgin such as I, please? Thanks a lot.

Ray

elPintor

Wed 27th Jul 2016 01:15

Hey Stu..you know I've spent quite a bit of my adult career as a server of chefs in busy kitchens..one of the most notable experiences was witnessing a chef, veins pulsing full on the forehead, viewing the abbreviation for a meal of the day..

"SHE WROTE PIGS..PIGS..PIGS FOR PIEROGIES..PIGS GODDAMMITT.."

This blaring from the kitchen all the while quiet little servers took the orders of local bankers and engineers who were listening obsequiously from the dining room..excellent..

Vicky R.

Thu 23rd Jun 2016 22:38

Hey Stu,

Thanks for reading my pieces and for the kinds words. I'm not sure about this, but it looks like you are my first reader as a newbie on the site, so thanks for that again, I'm thrilled! I'm definitely interested in checking out your collection "Casually Discussing the Infinite". So congrats to you on your debut collection! It's nice to hear from you.

Best,
Vicky

Rebecca Miller

Wed 22nd Jun 2016 22:27

Hey Stu, thanks for your comment on My Pinpoint and for knowing me a little more too :)

Alexandra Rockwell Lorenz

Fri 17th Jun 2016 23:42

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment. I'm quite uneducated when it comes to poetry but I am glad you gave me some names to look into. I am very impressed with your work. I can imagine it's wonderful to hear live.

All the best

Paul Point

Mon 6th Jun 2016 13:26

Hi Stuart great to find you here. I am just reading a few of your featured poems, nice work. We also followed you on Twitter - @ChocPoetryClub. Thanks

Ian Whiteley

Mon 23rd May 2016 23:34

thanks for the kind and supportive comments re 'The Bayonet In The Shed' Stu - pleased you liked it - and very pleased indeed you referenced one of my all time favourite artists, Billy Bragg. It is lined up to be recorded on my next CD - just working on the style - but a Billy Bragg style - hmmmm
Ian

Helen Elliott

Mon 23rd May 2016 10:30

Hey Stuart, thanks very much for reading and commenting on 'King and Queen of the Quad'. Much appreciated :)

chris stevenson

Wed 11th May 2016 07:04

Howdo Stuart ... thanks very much for your comment on 'Tourdion' .. all the best .. chris.

Vicki Ayers

Sun 8th May 2016 10:55

Hey Stu - been away for a bit - you know life stuff .....!! Thanks for reading & commenting on SeaDreams - I'm so pleased you liked it!! :)) xx

Thomas Johnson

Sat 30th Apr 2016 21:06

It's been a delight browsing through your work. I'm impressed at the large body of poetry and can't wait for more. Thanks for contributing!

123Next ►