Colin Hill

Sat 5th Aug 2017 08:59

you might like to catch this tonight Ian - documentary about Hedd Wyn on BBC2 at 9pm.

jean lucy thompson

Tue 1st Aug 2017 09:06

Thanx Ian and well done you for all your work and accomplishments within
the poetry scene

Harry O'Neill

Mon 21st Nov 2016 15:54

Ian,
The Everyman (down in the bar) you`d like it...plenty of young folk there....I think it`s the second Monday of the month.

Laura Taylor

Fri 7th Oct 2016 12:15

Aye I remember that 😃

Deffo - trilogy sounds perfect! It'll come!

Paul Point

Mon 6th Jun 2016 13:20

Hi Ian, Thanks for your poem above, some lines leapt into life there - a great read. All the best, Paul

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 10th May 2016 04:41

Hi Ian, thanks for reading commenting on Implosion explosion. Much appreciated.

Wolfgar.

Sun 1st May 2016 21:52

Re S#n right, correct and bloody hope so. Love in perpetuity Tommy (ahem)

Stu Buck

Tue 19th Jan 2016 10:51

hi ian, reading it in a whole new 'light' now. very clever. a sad week indeed.

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 12th Jan 2016 05:53

Hi Ian,

Thank you for welcoming me back in my new guise.

Wolfgar.

Tue 27th Oct 2015 21:46

Hi Ian - thanks for the response about "We are the Dead"
on my profile page. I didn't assume it was about you...
more an "Ode to Opportunities Missed When Alive" from
my own POV.
The sweep of those is such that most of us are content/
sentenced to settle for less, relishing simpler things.
When I mentioned "response" in my opening line, it was
meant that the extent of the comprehensive content
was something of a challenge in that wider context and
might obtain comment(s) accordingly...nothing more.
By the way - I like "Bard Company" as a title. It reminds
me of "Bad Company" - a Western from some years ago
about youth falling prey to the same.
Good to note your busy future performance schedule.
Cheers

David Moore

Tue 27th Oct 2015 20:11

Hi Ian,

Thanks for getting in touch. My apologies for commenting rather too directly on your piece "We are the dead" I don't think I meant it to be directed at you the author, but reading it back it certainly seems so, and that was careless if not a little thoughtless of me. I must admit I did revisit what I wrote, and thought I had been a little harsh and possibly preachy, so thanks for giving me the opportunity for redressing that. Now you have explained how you wrote it, it is completely obvious to me, and I do enjoy the poem.

Thanks for putting me straight and taking the time to do so.

PS, I do read and enjoy your work even though I have not commented regularly.

David.

Sun 18th Oct 2015 20:00

Hi Ian, back again for further comment . The poem you wrote certainly engendered a lot of discussion. You have pointed out a very good point about singer songwriters getting paid but not a poet. This is obviously a right liberty. I am a muso but choose not to sing - as I find the average offering full of bile and remorse and self pity and all the negatives of life. Why pay to hear that? I find also a lot of poetry hard to listen to back to back in open mike because of distractions - soda siphons, etc.
If there is money to be made, yes hand it out. Personally I don't expect to make money but that's not an opinion that's a fact. Cheers for now!!

Laura Taylor

Thu 14th May 2015 10:06

:) It's a great poem, I just read it through again.

Thanks for your note on Majority too - aye, had thought of a couple of the lines when I found out about the majority, and it bloody lashed it down all day. Then that 'blue collar' shit's all over the radio and they're banging on about job numbers being up when in reality it's just one job divvied up into 4 zero hours contract jobs. Spitting mad. Looking forward to the one that I can hear forming in your head ha :)

Laura Taylor

Fri 13th Mar 2015 12:40

Ha - cross posting :)

Thanks for y'note on me tree pome :) I was having a bit of a go at Wordsworth's idea that we lose our 'visionary gleam' when we get older. Remember I mentioned it in The Raven that time? Anyway, fuck Wordsworth :D

Laura Taylor

Fri 6th Mar 2015 09:22

Well, I have to say that the 'sitting on it' and the work you've put into it clearly show. It is really well crafted. More of this sort of thing! ;)

Mon 15th Dec 2014 19:24

Masks have a hard time getting past the eyes, or the knuckles: they speak clearly. I'm trying to find an old Christmas one of my own. I know it's tucked away somewhere. Pity I can't quote it from memory; I'm just plain terrible like that.

Fri 21st Nov 2014 12:20

Ah! you got me there Ian. I'm not as in the know about all these forms as yourself. It's a good tribute to somewhere I never knew but read a lot about.

I hope your new home does you all justice!

regards,

Graham

Noetic-fret!

Sat 25th Oct 2014 00:35

Thank you Ian for commenting on all things green, my recent post.

My guess is you have been there yourself. Anyways, if you have not, then you have most certainly inspired me to keep writing.

mike

x

Sun 24th Aug 2014 04:23

Good to hear you are so active with your war
poem project/recordings. You are in good
company. My brother recently gave me a double
CD by "Show of Hands" with music and poems of
"The Great War", the latter read by Jim Carter
and his wife Imelda Staunton. The Sunday Express gave it a big thumbs up!

alan barlow

Tue 19th Aug 2014 23:15

good stuff mate appreciated my music taste is very diverse and wide ranging (dance to dvorak or dependent on the day blues to buffalo) and currently listening on soundcloud ;-)given that im not too prolific in my offerings im not on here as often as i might be but i shall continue to frequent from time to time and have a read (and a listen) keep on keeping on :-)

Wed 30th Jul 2014 10:10

You most definitely do 'get your meaning across' without a 'dig'. Trust yourself.

Thank you for responding, because I know I have more crust than burnt toast and it can really get me into trouble.

Fri 25th Jul 2014 15:59

Hiya Ian I forgot to thank you earlier for ''I leant against the wall'' cheers mate. Tommy

Fri 25th Jul 2014 13:17

A peaceful world is the best aim - but it seems
that ever since Cain and Abel were at odds, Man
has been following their example. The strangest thing about war is that much progress
seems to follow its horrors - a sort of awful
"leaps and bounds" scenario. Maybe it is our
fate to be aware yet be captive of our tendency
towards taking advantage or taking a position and not budging. Is this some form of cosmic
joke at Mankind's expense? I sometimes wonder.

Fri 18th Jul 2014 17:32

Ian, I enjoyed seeing you again too. That evening I suddenly felt very weird, and decided to leave without ceremony. Walking home seemed to clear my head, so I'm not sure what happened. That first hour I was not able to hear very well, and was blaming a fuzzy microphone; but maybe not. Who knows.

Fri 27th Jun 2014 15:27

Hello Ian - following up on your post on my
profile page. I went to the audio link you
provided and enjoyed the tune...shades of Bob
Dyland meets Pete Seeger! However-and this is
a general complaint in today's music age:
the instrumental overwhelmed the lyric. I may
be a bit muttn'jeff these days but your words
seemed somewhere in another room, so to speak.
This is a common failing today when recordings
are done by those who are less receptive or
sympathetic to the vocal than to the instruments and tend to give the latter more
prominence than they should. This was not met
in recordings made when I was younger and
vocalists were the stars, and lyrics told a story where you could hear every word..."up
front".

Daniel Dwyran

Fri 27th Jun 2014 14:30

Ian. Thanks for taking the time to have a rummage at my work. I am made up with your kind encouragement.

I took the opportunity to check out your link to soundcloud earlier today. Superb stuff. I'm looking forward to getting a copy of your Great War (WW1) album when you finish recording and it comes out.

I have tried, and struggle, with haiku poetry but I must take my hat off to you with Passchendaele (Autumn 1917). Difficult and emotive subject yet captured magnificently.

Richard

Thu 12th Jun 2014 15:05

Hi m8 are you going to Cadence Friday night

Laura Taylor

Thu 22nd May 2014 16:36

Hola! Cheers chuck - yeh, it is a bit innit, like Fire in that momentum thingydoodah :D

Richard

Wed 14th May 2014 15:11

I might text Ian I did the fest last year. Yea bit of a low profile of late. Have posted a new poem yesterday though. Catch you soon I heard you were on in Wigan and may get to Tudor soon

Richard

Wed 14th May 2014 14:56

Hey Ian how's it going

Dominic James

Sun 11th May 2014 10:33

hi Ian
interesting poetry choice for the Desert Island, I didn't know Heaney's The Forge. Reminded me of an old favourite of his that I might have included:

Whitby-sur-Moyala

Caedmon too I was lucky to have known,
Back in situ there with his full bucket
And armfuls of clean straw, the perfect yardman,
Unabsorbed in what he had to do
But doing it perfectly, and watching you.
He had worked his angel stint. He was hard as nails
And all that time he’d been poeting with the harp
His real gift was the big ignorant roar
He could still let out of him, just bogging in
As if the sacred subjects were a herd
That had broken out and needed rounding up.
I never saw him once with his hands joined
Unless it was a case of eyes to heaven
And the quick sniff and test of fingertips
After he’d passed them through a sick beast’s water.
Oh, Caedmon was the real thing all right.

Mon 28th Apr 2014 11:58

Ian, I'm so sorry to have missed your slot at Sale, Waterside. My allergies knocked me flat - tree pollen probably.

David Blake

Sun 20th Apr 2014 22:00

Well, I hope it's nice for you. Trust me, when you've lived in Plymouth for a long time, Bristol does feel a lot closer to the action!

David Blake

Sun 20th Apr 2014 17:17

Oh nice. Whereabouts? Last time I holidayed in Dorset was in a holiday park between Sandford and Wareham one February. It rained. A lot! :( Hope you have a fun time in better weather. I've actually recently moved to Bristol, slightly closer to the centre of things!

Dominic James

Fri 4th Apr 2014 10:43

Hi Ian
I liked you Norse poem, added to Laura's blog, the Bitter Skald. "Necrotic spots" directly touches branch and limb. We're barking up the same tree!

It is a fantastic world picture, the world tree, resilient but vulnerable: one can't help but think of Ash Die Back in global terms - though I hadn't realised yggdrasil is the Giant Ash until recently.

The idea of the 3 sisters at the well of destiny daubing the trunk with mud to protect the tree from disease somehow points at once to ancient knowledge, modern helplessness.

I better look through your poems...

All the best, Dom.

David Blake

Mon 17th Mar 2014 15:19

Ian - no worries. I know a little of Tony Benn, but enough to know just how strong he was as a political personality - certainly someone not afraid to speak their mind. I can imagine him being a hero to many, not least to those of a poetic voice.

You are blatantly a rock star. One of the biggest on here, if I may be so bold. It's clear to see and shouting itself out loud :)

David Blake

Sun 16th Mar 2014 15:29

Checked your stuff on Youtube, thanks for the link. Really quite impressive, actually! Especially 'The Westgate Run' on the Wakefield Word Walk.

David Blake

Wed 26th Feb 2014 18:34

No worries Ian. You seem to be keeping busy at least! I've 'followed' you on Soundcloud recently. Some pretty decent stuff there!

Harry O'Neill

Fri 17th Jan 2014 19:32

Ian,
Congratulations on last night`s guest spot.
Enjoyed it hugely, and your delivery was excellent (and the poems)

I wish you many more of them.

Laura Taylor

Thu 19th Dec 2013 09:41

Morning chuck

Glad to be of service.

I was hoping to come but have been stricken with lurgy and am having to come into work, which makes the whole thing drag on and makes me feel incredibly sorry for myself. I'm deaf, lacking all energy, my head feels swollen to buggery, and my nose is a tap. Also, I am hugely grumpy as I don't cope well with being ill at all. Attractive, eh? So - I'll have to see how I feel. I do love the band and your poetry.

Try and get someone to film it for you. Would be good to have something like that anyway, and then if I don't get to go, I can watch it :)

Have fun anyway mate :) xx

Laura Taylor

Wed 18th Dec 2013 09:50

Cheers Ian, re your note on Writing in Fire. Beltin night eh? See thee soon fella, take care x

Harry O'Neill

Thu 24th Oct 2013 22:20

Ian,
Thanks for your comment on `Who`

(Just got back -dead beat- from holiday)

Sun 20th Oct 2013 19:29

cheers Ian for the info on 'Sporting Life'wow! but hey! what a fantastic film and what fantastic acting by Messrs Roberts and Harris!read the bio on Rachel Roberts,but stand by with the kleenex-tragic!take care matey and keep those great poems rolling off the production line(pretty please!)xx

Thu 17th Oct 2013 23:25

Hi Ian, a big thanks for comments on'Blackened berries'. :)

Laura Taylor

Thu 3rd Oct 2013 09:27

Haha - loving the new profile pic :D

And exactly, re chips/JCC. Bloody hell, it's not like he's advertising arms or owt is it?!

Mon 30th Sep 2013 22:31

Hello Ian,
Glad you enjoyed "Cottage Sleaze". I rather liked the idea of ramming something so sleazy into the joyous and bouncy form.

Laura Taylor

Fri 20th Sep 2013 09:13

Morning!

Haha love the juggling metaphor! No, I know what you mean about it working for you - plenty of times it's been that way for me too, where people don't seem to read it the way I hear it in my head, and in my head, the metre is perfect. No worries mate :)

It's a great poem, you should be made up with it :)

Noetic-fret!

Fri 23rd Aug 2013 01:49

Thank you Ian for commenting on ‘In Only A Contented God.’

What can I really say? I suffer a great deal of mental and physical ill health. The physical problems I can contend with. But the mental ill health is such that on most days I wish for my life to end. It’s harrowing contending with voices that only seek to drag me down from what was once a positive perspective on life. In the past they have caused me to try to cease my life. Before operations in the Gulf conflict of 90/91, I was fit, active and very positive, but nowadays I feel I have been shat on from a great height. I try to gain help when it is offered, but in the main most people do not understand. Even my own family don’t care much for what is left of me. I keep going with what has been a bad set of cards been dealt ever since I was very young. But I often think of the hardships I go through and I sincerely want revenge upon callous gods not only for what I go through, but for what many people endure here in this realm. I cannot believe the universe is some trillion years old and this status be the sum of all our being since creation. Therefor I know within myself this realm is purgatory for the majority. But this particular condition I would not want upon anyone. I am beaten up day in day out by constant voices, and I suffer the physical ailments too. But to top it all, for serving my country in faith I feel that the authorities have shat on me too, and yet, they live within this world as well as I. I am not altogether a bad person, but the way life is treating me is tearing me apart inside. I was once so full of optimism but now, I just want to sue life, and rip the almighty’s head clean off with my bare hands. It just doesn’t make any sense to suffer this way, let alone be at the mercy of environmental and economic poverty. One day, by hook or by crook, I will get revenge and there, you may say I am being delusional, but to live like this is beyond my comprehension of benevolent gods, benevolent gods that in all honesty, do not exist. It just doesn’t make any sense.

Sorry for the rant. I thank you once again and hope that your life is far better than mine. There’s just too many coincidences to say it is down to luck or karma. It bloody stinks.

Harry O'Neill

Thu 22nd Aug 2013 22:15

Ian,
Thanks for the encouraging comments on `Susan`

Laura Taylor

Sat 17th Aug 2013 14:17

Ian, re Digital Equality - thank you! I preferred that version of the last stanza myself :) I've now dropped One and Two, tried out First and Second but they didn't quite scan right in my head. I think it's definitely improved it. Some come so easily don't they, and others...others are a right bugger!

12Next ►