David Cooke

Fri 16th Apr 2021 14:16

Glad you liked the poem about my Philipos!

Kristian Deidre Brown

Fri 22nd Jan 2021 04:09

Hi, Philipos! Thank you for your comment on my profile, and for reading some of my work! I have really enjoyed reading through yours as well! Something in particular that really stood out to me were your line breaks and use of internal rhyme- I felt that they drew me even further into your words. I am working to learn more of how to incorporate each of those devices in my own work, as I find them so compelling in poetry! Also, I have just recently finished the first piece I’ve been able to write of my experience with cancer treatment ☺️ I hope to have it up in the next few days! Thanks so much again for your encouraging words.

Kristian 🌼

kJ Walker

Wed 16th Dec 2020 21:03

Thanks for the comment on my profile. You're not the first to compare me to Stanley Holloway.
Praise indeed, as I'm a big fan of him

Cheers Kevin

J.D. Bardo

Tue 3rd Nov 2020 12:02

I have read everything you have posted since I have joined last month, With you it is the ones that I do not click like, that i seem to like the best. I do not want to try to explain that. always watching.

Pat, (J.D.)

Rose Casserley

Mon 26th Oct 2020 18:04

Thank you for the reply Philipos. Makes you think though for sure.

Rose 💋

jennifer Malden

Mon 3rd Aug 2020 23:28

Hi Philipos! Thanks for the like and comment on 'Watch your words', glad you liked it. Funny thing about black cats , in the UK they are v lucky, but in Italy the exact opposite! If you are travelling and one crosses the road in front of you, many people brake hard, pull over and wait for someone else to pass over the cat's track to take the bad luck on themselves!!!!!!! I still adhere to the UK idea, but my husband turns pale!

Jennifer

John Marks

Wed 29th Jul 2020 23:15

Hello Philipos. Thank you for noticing my poems, I will seek to reciprocate. SOLON, Lawmaker of the 6th century BC
"Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky."

Thu 25th Jun 2020 13:05

Hi Philipos - in case you weren't aware - my most recent poem was
moderated because of the use of the title word.

Wed 24th Jun 2020 18:55

Rural Scents - I know of Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard (Stoke Poges) but have no knowledge of Blake's poetry
in that philosophical area. Is there a connection?
Thanks,
MC

Tue 9th Jun 2020 14:09

Your comment about distant pen friends struck a chord. It was a
way of reaching out beyond one's own land long before the advent of global communications. The arrival of letters adorned with those wonderful multi-coloured stamps.was an exciting event, sent
from countries whose names have long since vanished into post-
colonial history. What next - a ceremonial street burning of these
(where they still exist) as a pubic rejection of "colonialism"?? The
saddest thing about the "racism" crusades today is that they seem
likely to continue - mainly because the aims seem devoid of any
ultimate resolution as long as one ethnic faction remains wedded
to the agenda that continually proclaims itself to be "victims" and
thereby encourages division rather than cohesion. The paradox
being that whilst there are claims that skin colour is a primary
reason for what they perceive as prejudice against them, there is
no inclination to move away from it by striving to use it positively
towards social advancement/cohesion. Thus, the situation shows
no sign of being resolved but merely a convenient "fall back"
when needed to pursue an ongoing agenda in the ceaseless
always fluid barely definable stream they refer to as "equality".
Of course, just who is "equal" to whom in this life is never explained but it's an appealing mantra for the modern world...like
"Once upon a time".😟

Mon 8th Jun 2020 21:25

In passing - it was Colston rather than Churchill who ended up in the drink....one might see it as today's variation of "Bristol fashion".

Emeka Collins

Sun 7th Jun 2020 23:51

Thanks for your comment on my poem. You're a great poet too.

David Cooke

Sat 23rd May 2020 13:28

HI Philipos Glad you liked my Joni poem! David

Ruth O'Reilly

Sun 26th Apr 2020 14:30

Philipos You've just made me realise that kissing the Blarney stone is something that no one will be able to do for a very,very long time if at all! 😕 Nice hear that it's something we have in common though- More power to our pens eh!?!😎

Emer Ni Chorra

Sat 28th Mar 2020 02:14

Philipos, many thanks for stopping by and leaving kind words on my profile. They are encouraging. Glad you enjoyed reading my work and also your time spent in Ireland. SLÁINTE 😊🍀

Mark O

Fri 27th Mar 2020 18:48

Cheers to you as well Philipos. I am very new here, so I appreciate your comment!

Sun 22nd Mar 2020 17:45

Hi again Philipos - the blog in question is "The Sandman". Heineken is a beer as I recall. Check "Heinkel" for the make of a WW2 'plane.
Cheers
MC.

Sat 21st Mar 2020 16:12

Hi Philipos - in your new blog, shouldn't Heinekens actually be "Heinkels"? Small beer, I know, but this oldie thought it worth a mention.. 😃

Thu 19th Mar 2020 11:43

Hello there Philipos - thank you for the kind remarks about my
various efforts on my WOL "home page". Words and music have
been my most consistent and rewarding companions over the years.

d.knape

Mon 3rd Feb 2020 11:31

For poetry
you have much to say
appears you have
gone out of your Wey!

😃

d.knape

Mon 3rd Feb 2020 11:28

is your name Greek?
Are you a King?

I don't know what "take the wee-wee means.
is that an expression from you country?

or planet? 😃

Tom

Tue 10th Dec 2019 11:58

Thanks for tickling like 😉

d.knape

Mon 4th Nov 2019 02:25

I wish i could figure out what you are saying
but I can't.

Ruth O'Reilly

Wed 23rd Oct 2019 09:28

I was interested in what you were saying about having taken various New Age courses as I have done so myself. Just wondered which areas you specialised in?

Don Matthews

Thu 3rd Oct 2019 00:55

Philipos

Thalia and I are getting on swimmingly as they say. She says hi.

Re junk mail we have a 'Authorised Aust Post Mail Only' on our letterbox. Occasionally someone ignores it. Some must pay for postie to deliver but nothing printed on it to say. What gets me is junk mail inserts appearing in local paper. You open it to read the local news and these coloureds fall out. Guess they've paid but just niggles me.

Do you have a 'no junk mail sticker' ? Separate box or door?

Don

Tue 1st Oct 2019 15:25

Hello Philipos - thanks for the response about my comment on your most recent blog. I often get emails that include the admonishment
"Think before you make a paper copy" (or words to that effect). Quite right too when we are so aware of needless waste and its
effect on the environment.
My poem "The Menin Gate" timed with the attendance there of HRH
Prince Philip some years ago. The participation of the horses in
great events is always to be remembered and saluted....plus, of course, other animals that serve humanity so well and ask no questions.

Wed 18th Sep 2019 08:23

Thanks for your thoughts on Hitler Brought the House Down. It seems you have a few years on me, P. I was a post war Baby Boomer.

Mae Foreman

Sun 15th Sep 2019 18:50

Hey Philipos thanks for stopping by on my profile! Loved the muses poem! Where would we be without them indeed! ?
Mae

Greg Freeman

Wed 28th Aug 2019 12:35

Hi Phil, I heard via the Lightbox that you had been inquiring about the poetry nights? As you will see on the home page, our next Write Out Loud Woking at the Lightbox is tomorrow night (Thursday 29 August). You'd be very welcome!

Ghazala Lari

Wed 14th Aug 2019 10:59

Hi,

Thank you for visiting my blog and leaving your precious comment.

I am glad to know that you have a deep interest and liking for India. you have definitely missed on a rich culture, flavours of traditions, variety of lifestyle, a perfect blend of western, Arabic, Persian, Portuguese and many other countries can be found embedded in not only the architecture, but also in art, cuisine, lifestyle, language etc. Assimilated the best of all the nations.

Taj Mahal isn't a mosque, although built by a muslim emperor in medieval period. Shah Jahan had constructed it for his beloved wife Mumtaz Mahal, she died, so in her memory this tomb was built. basically it's a tomb with the graves of the emperor and his beloved queen.

you should visit India and you already have Indian friends so it's going to be all the more good for you to visit India.

G.L

Don Matthews

Sun 21st Jul 2019 10:22

Philipos we gotta
Roll out WOLer fun
If we wanna WOLer send
Doomy on the run

Nuff said....

Nah, not nuff said......?

Philipos

Thu 4th Jul 2019 20:05

THOSE NINE GREEK MUSES

Grecians never were completely fools
They knew the rules about the ruse of
Temptress goddesses known as the Muse
Now let me see, what were they called?
Well there was Calliope of course, she was the
muse of eloquence and of epic (heroic) poetry
and next came Cleo, muse of historical and of more
heroic poetry – could that be what we refer to as
Martial poetry in this day and age? Well in those

yester challenging times she was quite a sacred name
falling from the lips of marching men. Perhaps those
last two goddesses job shared. But now we have
Erato on the centre stage. So let the herald tell the
tale of what she did. She was the muse of lyric poetry.
Love and eroticism featured in her words (oo-er) plus
the added ingredients of love, eroticism and mimicry
(again oo-er stop it please) kindly pass the feta cheese,
I’m feeling rather weak around the knees. Well next

on the scene we have Euterpe. And she was the muse
of music and the flute, and in a picture that I saw of her
she looks quite cute. Poor Melopomene though, whose
next. She sounds as if she could get quite vexed when
all around her bore those rather tragic weepy sad old tales.
Please pass a pewter tankard with more ale before I quail?
For the Muse, of dabbling in the sublime, and sacred hymn
we gain the nod of elegance from Polyhymnia who else?
And she throws in a touch of eloquence and dance. She

liked lifting her dress to show her pants. Terpsicore is next
also a Muse of Dance, dramatic chorus and of lyric poems
which seldom rhyme although sometimes they do. Then we
have Thalia, muse of comedy and pastoral, merry and idyllic
verse. Last but not least we have Urania. Now Urania is into
astronomy, astrology, and universal love (beam me up Scotty)
and what a lot of totties they were, going around and inspiring
everyone with the muse. They were considered far more sacred
than a priest, and all were queens of song. No Olympian banquet

was ever complete without them and that was even before
they began to pour out the retsina and do their pirouettes and
get all those Greek geezers doing their early version of what was
to become Zorba’s dance, and plucking erotic harps and lyres.
Well someone had to get them all inspired. Desire you see. It can
work complete miracles with the human mind. So just be kind

Fri 21st Jun 2019 09:47

I just saw your entry on my Profile page, Philipos. I han’t Checked it for months! Bus pass is the only upside as far as I can see of getting old!

Greg Freeman

Sun 19th Feb 2017 13:29

Good to bump into you in Woking the other day, Phil - and thanks for buying a copy of Trainspotters at the Phoenix!

Mal Foster

Tue 9th Dec 2014 12:16

Hi Phil, Have enjoyed reading your work, best regards, Mal

Candice Reineke

Mon 25th Aug 2014 20:50

Thanks for your comment on "I feel Fall". I left you a response :)

Anthony

Sun 24th Aug 2014 22:46

Thank you for responding. It was a Steinbeck inspired poem but I think people like this are often around us or within us. Times change huh? But the people, not so much

Ian Whiteley

Sun 24th Nov 2013 19:52

glad you liked M.I.A Philipos - your comments are much appreciated
Ian

garside

Fri 15th Nov 2013 11:42

thanks Philipos

Harry O'Neill

Fri 25th Oct 2013 16:25

Philipos,
Forgive me for not thanking you for your comments on the `fERADI` thing.

I was quite surprised that anyone commented on it...(you were right about `different takes`)

Mon 30th Sep 2013 22:36

Hello Philipos,
Glad you enjoyed "Cottage Sleaze", brought to you in glorious Smellivision.

Steve Higgins

Sat 28th Sep 2013 20:37

Thanks for taking a minute to read 'disco nights' its not quite right but writing it and reliving the 70s was fun. Best wishes, Steve

Sat 28th Sep 2013 16:11

"NAUGHTY BUT NICE" - I was immediately - and
pleasingly - reminded of long-ago lines from the
poet who, when telling of hope that was gone, he
thought of (the name eludes me) in Holborn "with nothing on".
Now, I'll have to check my books to find it!!

Greg Freeman

Thu 19th Sep 2013 17:54

Hi Phil, good to see you back on the site. Hope all is well with you?

Greg Freeman

Wed 2nd Jan 2013 19:45

Thanks, Phil, for your comments on Agapanthus. (South African in origin, I believe?) The statesman was Wilson, of course. On subsequent holidays we often used to see him with Mary and his son Robin, waiting on the quay at St Mary's to board a boat with the rest of the hoi polloi for one of the other islands with an enormous rucksack on his back - and rather unfeasibly short shorts, I fear.

Neil Fawcett

Mon 31st Dec 2012 00:00

Thanks for commenting on my poem and Happy New Year!

Greg Freeman

Wed 28th Nov 2012 18:06

Phil, I can't put a comment on your poem because of a temporary WOL glitch, so can I say here how much I like Undergound. I love "clam" and "abdomen". It's well-constructed, creepy and atmospheric; one of your very best.

Laura Taylor

Thu 8th Nov 2012 13:01

Hi Phil

Sorry to be so tardy getting back to you re the Smart Card poem.

Well, if you know owt about me at all, you'll know that I take absolutely no notice whatsoever of what 'poets' or people or me myself 'should' do. I'll do what I like with my own words.

Anarchy is a much maligned and misunderstood term and idea and it's almost always used in a derogatory fashion, when I see it as a very positive political choice.

I know what you mean but this is a different story to last summer, and you don't want to get me started on that anyway or we'll be here all bloody week! ;)

We are coming to a crisis point with this goverment. I refuse to take it lying down any more.

Greg Freeman

Sun 4th Nov 2012 19:53

Phil, thanks for your comments on The Black Beach. It is a striking statue, isn't it?

Laura Taylor

Mon 29th Oct 2012 16:32

Hehe Phil - it doesn't appear to condone shoplifting, it's an actual suggestion ;)

Yes, people WILL do what they can to survive - that's how we've lasted so long. The human spirit WANTS to live, and it will do everything in its power to stay that way.

12345Next ►