Milestones Poetry Competition 2017
These are the rules for the Milestones Open Poetry Competition 2017. Further information on how to enter will appear here in advance of the opening date.
The following prizes will be awarded:
- First place - £500
- Second place - £100
- Third place - £25
- U-16s prize - £100
Free anthology for prize winners and commended poets.
The prize-giving will take place on 7 October 2017 in Warwickshire, UK.
The fee to enter for those aged 16 and over is £5. If multiple poems are entered in the same submission, £10 will be charged for 3 poems and then £3 for each subsequent poem.
Entrants aged 15 and under pay £1 per poem.
Poems must be no more than 40 lines.
- Open for submissions - 21 March 2017
- Deadline for submissions - 21 June 2017
- Results announced - early August 2017
- Prize-giving - 7 October 2017
Full Competition Rules
- Entries to the competition must be made online at www.writeoutloud.net.
- The competition opens on March 21st, 2017, and the closing date for receipt of entries is midnight GMT on June 21st, 2017.
- Entrants aged 16 years or over pay £5.00 for the first poem entered, and can enter three poems in the same submission for £10. Subsequent entries (also in the same submission) are £3 each.
Entrants aged 15 or under pay £1 per entry.
- The competition is open to anyone, with the exception of members of the core team of Write Out Loud.
- Poems must be your own unaided work, and on the theme of ‘milestones’. You may interpret this theme as literally or figuratively as you wish.
- Poems must be in English, and no more than 40 lines long. They must not have been previously published (either in print or on a website), nor should they be currently submitted for future publication elsewhere.
- We can’t amend poems after they’ve been submitted, or refund fees paid.
- Copyright of the poems remains with the author, but Write Out Loud reserves the right to publish successful entries in the competition anthology, and on the Write Out Loud and Milestones websites.
- Information on how to enter will be available on the Write Out Loud website in advance of the opening date of the competition.
- The judge’s decision will be final. No correspondence can be entered into. Entry in the competition implies acceptance of all the rules.
Results will be announced in early August. The winner will be invited to read their poem at an award ceremony in Long Compton, Warwickshire on October 7th, 2017.
Happy writing, and good luck!