Sat 18th Mar 2017 22:00

"Growing weary at a folkies bear and banjos. Cheers Wolf.

Sat 18th Mar 2017 21:53

Wolf I'm getting there re Christy Moore-

Tom Harding

Mon 13th Mar 2017 01:14

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to look at my collection, really appreciate the support and the kind comments!

Ian Whiteley

Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:01

thanks for commenting on 'Soldiers Box' David - yes - you've got it in one - must dig out that track and have a listen. I've been on an infrequent theme about my dad - who served in Burmha in WW2 - this is the latest 'visit' to his things that he left me. It makes me sad and proud at the same time. I appreciate you commenting - and sorry for the delay in replying - I don't come on WOL as often as I once did
Ian

Fri 10th Mar 2017 19:05

Cheers David re "Lift" ;- )

elPintor

Sun 12th Feb 2017 23:54

Hi, David,

You know, I'm a big fan of your insight. It bears repeating that hearing how a reader receives a piece (not necessarily praise) is immensely gratifying. I truly appreciate the ability to communicate on this level. And, I know that wouldn't be possible without people like you stepping forward and speaking up with their personal thoughts.

Thanks for supporting me with your continuing comments.

Rachel x

Martin Elder

Wed 8th Feb 2017 21:14

Hi David
Thanks for reading to write or not to write, glad you enjoyed it. Us Orwellians have go to stick together
Cheers
Martin

Rhiannon

Thu 26th Jan 2017 12:26

I really like your exploration of the 'the forest of future words' as you put it... nice imagery. In particular - 'Evolving thought embeds itself, seeking seed.' Very good, mind altering stuff.

Paul Waring

Fri 20th Jan 2017 11:43

David, just wanted to say thank you for your reply to my comments about Shatila 2017 and for the link to your poem 'Not Enough'. I have read it a few times now, it is a brilliant rage-fuelled statement that captures the tradegy of Aleppo (and, of course, many other places blighted by this type of war). It also reminds us the absurdity of war (and other absurdities in the world) that many of us feel helpless and pained about, hurting for our fellow human beings.

Paul

Tom Harding

Fri 18th Nov 2016 20:00

thanks for your recent comments on harbour wolfgar!

Travis Brow

Thu 17th Nov 2016 15:31

Hello Wolfgar, i don't think i've read your biography before, at least not fully. Now, having read it, it strikes me as one of the best, witty and serious and thought provoking. I'm particularly intrigued by your claim that 'I am not what I write'. How true is that? I sort of feel the same, but at the same time i wonder if i'm EXACTLY what i write. There's an archaic (no offence intended, at all) style to your writing which i really like. It's unusual, but you deploy it beautifully in A call to arms.

Katy Megan Hughes

Thu 15th Sep 2016 20:24

Thank you for your comment on my poem 😀
Much appreciated, Katy

elPintor

Wed 14th Sep 2016 21:59

Hi, David,

"before I learned mechanics.." is definitely true, save the location (though I remember the snow having a layer of ice over it, that's how cold it was) and--I'm not sure now why--but I didn't leave him for good for several years after that.

It was about 25 years ago..something brought up the memory and I couldn't stop laughing about it all day yesterday. It is a departure from my usual, but I just had to write about it--even though its also more personal than I would usually permit myself to be in such an open forum.

It was terribly comical. And, for that moment, I felt bad for him. But he was a mean prick and I've never felt a moment's regret or guilt about divorcing him.

Good to hear your comments. I really appreciate it.

elP

Estelle Haward

Mon 12th Sep 2016 15:23

Really like "tilt".

elPintor

Sat 10th Sep 2016 23:24

Hi, David,

I want to say thank you for commenting on "night vision". I share your sense of wonder at the timeless quality of the cosmos. And, to know that we are each part of it--I would say--in turn, makes our lives eternal.

Your opinion means a lot to me. Thanks again for encouraging me to write.

elP x

Hallie Elle

Fri 1st Jul 2016 17:37

Your bio leads me to believe that you are a beautiful person. Bravo.

Vicky R.

Thu 23rd Jun 2016 22:42

Hi David,

You're very welcome! It was good to hear from you. Hope you are having a pleasant day :)

-Vicky

Tom

Sun 5th Jun 2016 00:21

Hi David, thanks so much for your comments on Bullet Holes in Backyards. Really pleased you enjoyed it. I know it's not 'learning from the past' exactly but taking stock of what could be, and what has been, is a good way to quickly gain some perspective when needed. Thanks! T.

Helen Elliott

Wed 1st Jun 2016 21:21

David

Sometimes (not often) I read a poem and wish I had written it. 'Write me something of love' is one of those poems. I keep re-reading it. It truly is beautiful and has such a classic feel to it.

I definitely connect to your softer poems.

Helen :)

Emily Kate O'Sullivan

Thu 26th May 2016 15:23

Your writing aside...can I just say I thoroughly enjoyed and respect your bio!

Emily

Ian Whiteley

Mon 23rd May 2016 23:36

Thanks for the kind comments regarding 'The Bayonet In The Shed' Wolfie - pleased you liked it - I know what you mean about the end lines - was a difficult write as 95% of it is true and it brought home a lot of memories
Ian

Sun 22nd May 2016 18:12

David thank you for commenting on Rush Hour

There is a back story to this. A couple of weeks ago my wife asked me to clear last year's debris from the box. As I removed it (requiring a considerable wiggle) I peered inside and to my horror Mrs Tit was already inside and three eggs had been dislodged into the corner of the box.
Carefully replaced, I seem to have done no harm whatsoever, thank goodness!

Thanks again!

Graham

Phil Kay

Tue 17th May 2016 18:09

Just got through "Black Lung"... what a tribute to the fight those folks have made and still make.

Fri 13th May 2016 10:09

David, many thanks for your kind words on Audience.

They have made me edit out (unusual for me) the word robed as I thought from your comments it gave a wrong impression.

Phil Kay

Thu 12th May 2016 18:50

Hey man, thanks again for your comments, this time on "My Grandad". Your comments are spot on.

If I tell people that my Granddad was the bare knuckle champion of Old Hull which was pretty much of Hull then I usually get some sort of remark romanticising the whole situation as some sort of working class anti hero in my family.... They are brain blind to the realities of someone who can do that.

Also the damage we suffer in war is hidden for many by the realities of life after. But families are the ones who see the person who left and the one who came home.

Then there is vilification, the suggestion that by signing on the soldier sort of "asked for it"... and the reality which is by my experience that for a young guy there is a romanticism of the whole situation which is normal and blinds to the realities. How can a young person truly know.

But again thank you so much for your always thoughtful comments David.

Tue 10th May 2016 14:20

Hi David. Thanks for picking up on the slavery poem. I don't usually put on stuff with social content, but the idea came to me about how human time is just a thin layer on old footings (unless you don't believe in evolution of course). Hypocrisy is in there and sadness and how humanity treads down what it takes for granted as civilization apparently moves on. The walkway is just a metaphor, interestingly the chalk is threatened by erosion as we know - but that's life. This is the first entry of the poem anywhere.

Ray.

Ian Whiteley

Tue 10th May 2016 00:00

Thanks for the kind comments on 'Splendid Is The Flower' David - you got it - I appreciate it :-)
Ian

C Byrne

Sun 8th May 2016 20:47

'Crimes against mysanity' hits hard. Take it to a poetry night :)

elPintor

Thu 28th Apr 2016 02:11

I read through Black lung again this morning as I was getting ready for work. It's simply amazing to me how you've captured human suffering..you are very talented.

"Nostalgic remembrances", for sure..I grew up in the Appalachians and still remember the smell of my dad's lunch box--the one he took to the mines along with his green thermos of coffee. There's a somewhat similar smell in auto garages. I still like the smell, too. I also remember my dad telling me that, as a boy, he needed to lift his father from a sleeping position so that he could go to work in the mines because a span of his spine had been replaced with a metal rod..a tough generation, no doubt.

Several years ago there was a mining accident near the place where I grew up..I remember how inadequate I felt when I ran into an old friend's younger sister at a local grocery, a toddler with her and expecting another, her young husband had been recently killed in that tragedy.

..the Appalachians are far from Tacoma, but the sentiment is much the same.

Thanks for such great stuff.

elPintor

Ian Whiteley

Tue 26th Apr 2016 17:11

Thanks for commenting on the Shakespeare sonnet Wolfgar - took a bit of a break from writing following my book being published - wanted a firebreak and a new start - finally getting back in the groove - good to see you posting quality stuff still - regards
Ian

Phil Kay

Sat 23rd Apr 2016 20:37

Thank you so much for your comments on "Blaire Peach", its ironic that politically we have come full circle, very few of us remember the significance or even the event itself of Blairs death. Your words give me hope thank you.
Stay safe wherever you are.

Helen Elliott

Tue 12th Apr 2016 21:43

Hi Wolfie,

Thank you for your comments on These Streets. I originally wrote it as a prose piece. There are so many memories from back then that I want to write about but sometimes find it difficult to find the right way (if that even exists). This one was based on very early memories, I was probably only 5 or 6 at the time. My brother was a punk and a football casual (and glue sniffer) so it is him I am referring to. He's 47 now and a really lovely bloke lol.

Yeah, Glasgow back then was pretty grim. I grew up on a housing scheme on the south side, Castlemilk. It was rough as hell, still is actually. I tried to be tough but when I got to my teens, I couldn't do it any more. I wanted out. Glad it happened for me :)

Ah the Gorbals was like it's own little world. The layout of the high rise flats made it quite intimidating. I think it's better now though, as is most of the city. It's tarnished for me though.

Ayr holds a few happy memories though, we would go on the train in the summer holidays for a day at the beach. They were good times :)

Thanks again for the comments, it's good to know when something connects :)

Tue 1st Mar 2016 15:19

Just picking up your response to my comment on Apple Crush David. I take your point entirely on the public conception of such as yourself who have been charged with mind blowing duties in the preservation of peace of mind of others. What is a sound mind? Who nurtures anti - social impulses and what could spark them off with provocation? You have been there and been driven to extremes. You deserve better from society, and no doubt the lack of awareness or indeed concern must gripe on a daily basis. I was pondering if say during WW 2 when the whole nation was under threat, the shocks might have been mitigated by more understanding from all and sundry. I can only imagine this: you would I'm sure have an opinion on it. regards. ray

Lan

Wed 24th Feb 2016 09:50

Hiya Wolfie, thanks for commenting on Broken Record - I've not been writing much lately, and haven't even been reading, so sorry for taking so long to say thanks. Glad that it portrayed what I wanted it to, not so glad you can relate to how that crap feels x

Nicole

Fri 12th Feb 2016 18:57

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on "Richard" and "Time". I appreciate it. :-)

Michelle

Tue 2nd Feb 2016 11:39

Thanks for your comment on The Wait. You're right, the wait absorbs your life and you miss so much of what really matters. I enjoyed what you've written as your profile, I especially liked that you aim slightly off - ha ha
M:)

DavidAddington

Mon 18th Jan 2016 15:50

name change and a change to your style perhaps. Poetry potent as ever. Love the tilt and black lung poems. Great stuff.

Lan

Fri 15th Jan 2016 21:53

Hi Wolfgar, thanks for commenting on 'engage your experience' - the title is a phrase someone much wiser than me said, and it keeps coming into my mind. I find it less and less tolerable to merely exist and have been at times a little over zealous in my determination to break through my own defenses, but it is lovely when something simple brings a breakthrough that doesn't result in a breakdown. Not sure if that makes any sense, but thanks again, I do appreciate the time you take to read and comment :)

Preeti Sinha

Thu 14th Jan 2016 18:06

So lovely to see you back even in a new avatar. Thank you for reading. Glad it resonated with you.
Your new work is stunning like before.

Vicki Ayers

Tue 12th Jan 2016 22:40

Thanks for your comments on 'Rainspell' I agree & have amended! Thanks again for taking the time to read & comment it's appreciated xx

Lan

Tue 12th Jan 2016 00:44

May I just say, 'Yay!' - glad you are still here :)

Ian Whiteley

Mon 11th Jan 2016 20:28

Wolfgar....
I see what you did there ;-)
welcome back

Mon 11th Jan 2016 11:52

Sorry about the cryptic comment - I thought you were someone else which made that inappropriate!
(or not)