Ruby

Sat 3rd Feb 2018 11:14

Thanks David for your beautiful comment on 'Forgotten' ! I'm elated that you liked my writing.

Tom Harding

Tue 14th Nov 2017 18:41

Thanks for the comments David, always appreciated your support on here. Will let you know about the book next month when I know more.

David Cooke

Sat 11th Nov 2017 18:40

Hi Wolfgar Glad you liked my Zhivago poem! David

Richard Hartley

Sat 28th Oct 2017 18:35

David
Congratulations, that's a great website you've got there [https://wolfgarwords.com]
To my mind there are three good things about it: the website looks great; the poetry is wonderful and the pictures are amazing! What's not to like?
As you also say in your Profile, I have won no awards for my poems and I do not seek to get them published. Instead, when I've finished scribbling one of my offerings I just post it on my little website [www.paxpoeticus.co.uk - but it's not as smart as yours!] and hope that at least some of those who read it will find something in it.
I think of my poems as my progeny and have no claim on them: once I've constructed each poem I send it out to make its own way in the world.
Keep up the great work!
Richard

Martin Elder

Sun 8th Oct 2017 17:58

Hi David
just wanted to say Congratulations in having your poem selected for the Marsden jazz festival. I saw it there being displayed in Marsden in a pub called the swan in the village.
Well done my friend
Cheers
Martin

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 3rd Oct 2017 12:55

Thanks for your reading and your comments Cynthia, always welcome.

I suppose it is fair in some way to call me dogmatic, and not so in others, of course it is a matter of opinion and that is too valuable to dismiss out of hand to my mind, so fair enough I'll take that.

In my defense (which to be honest probably isn't needed) I simply say what I think when I think it, I dislike sycophants who are occasionally thick on the ground in such environments as WoL. I feel I bite my lip and stay my hand too often, but diplomacy and restraint are sometimes the better option, and yes as I too am sensitive I only ever really get prickly if I feel attacked, which in fairness has hardly ever happened on WoL and never in respect of my written contributions.

I absolutely agree that the written word is often far more considered than the spoken, though not on all occasions. Often the spoken word carries more immediate impact if well considered, whereas careless sloppy writing is easily dismissed before a sentence ever ends.

Regarding a writer being what he writes, I think it's a question which offers variable responses. For instance writers often write from perspectives other than their own (I certainly do) in doing so the written text does not carry their belief or opinions, it is true that the practice of writing in such a manner reveals something of them, but how is the reader to know that, or what that something is?

I have to agree that everything we write may well reflect something of us or something about our reasoning, but I think very few people are paying that much attention to what is and isn't the authors true self.

I suppose it's just a complex question to answer, at least for me anyway.

I appreciate and enjoy the conversation, thanks again Cynthia.

David.

Mon 2nd Oct 2017 12:41

You are a fine addition to the 'stable of regulars' here on WOL. Always stimulating, if sometimes dogmatic.

I just reread your Bio. I do think, actually, that you ARE what you write. A good deal more than you are what you say. The mouth can natter, but the fingers must have more connections to follow from brain to keyboard. It seems logical, but I could be wrong. But I do think writing involves considered intent.

I have always thought that the 'mouth' is the world's most vicious weapon. Especially without due background knowledge. More deadly than writing, because it's so immediate, widespread and bristling with emotion. A real 'people catcher'.

Good to chat with you.

Helen Elliott

Sat 30th Sep 2017 21:43

Hi David.

Thank you for commenting on Glaswegian and welcoming me back.

I hope to stick around this time 😉

Helen

Richard Hartley

Mon 18th Sep 2017 16:44

I particularly like your "A Call To Arms".
Quite apart from spelling out your message, you've also managed to give this poem rythm and pace, both of which seem to have become unfashionable these days.
Well done.
Richard

Hannah Collins

Sun 17th Sep 2017 21:53

Hello Wolfgar, I have enjoyed reading your sample poems very much. You have a great freedom in writing and language which I admire.

Thank you for your comments on my poem The Grass.
The incident you describe with the bully is admirable too.

Joe Williams

Thu 31st Aug 2017 10:22

Thanks for the comment on 'Prettiest Girl...', David. I like a bit of reflective nostalgia in poetry, and I find myself putting it into my own work quite a lot. Glad you liked it!

Dominic James

Wed 30th Aug 2017 08:46

Hi David
Thank you for the response to On Leave. Fragility was the key word. And Homecoming, in one way or another, is one of the vital, hoped for things. I Look forward to your post.
Dom.

Greg Freeman

Wed 23rd Aug 2017 13:07

Thanks for your comments on 'To My Unknown Soldier', David, particularly on how such matters relate to your own experiences. Much appreciated. Greg

AM Cash

Sat 22nd Jul 2017 12:10

I do like your work, the forest of future words is on my mind now.

Laura Taylor

Sun 25th Jun 2017 12:28

I forgot to say that as well as the Comps and Calls publishing shout-outs, WOL has an extensive list of magazines, competitions and publishers, under the drop-down menu on the front page, under 'Directory'. Well worth ploughing through.

Laura Taylor

Tue 30th May 2017 12:48

Howdy David

Many thanks for your note on 'unmartyred', and yep on your own poem too.

Emer Ni Chorra

Mon 15th May 2017 20:39

I am pleased to log in here and see that you have won poem of the week on wol for the second time and that you are the first person to do so. Well done, David! You are a powerful, humble writer and as an avid reader I am constantly drawn into your wonderful poems. Always a pleasure to read your work. I don't know how you can write so many masterpieces every few days. Stay motivated, Congratulations again, absolutely delighted for you. 🙌😃💪

Stu Buck

Fri 12th May 2017 19:43

cheers david - as bill hicks once said, 'everyone should have at least one psychedelic experience in their life, really get that third eye squeegee'd'

keith jeffries

Thu 13th Apr 2017 16:17

Hello Wolfgar, Thank you for your biography which I found interesting, illuminating and humourous, in particular when you say that you are not what you write. I also enjoyed the poem Private Viewings in the City of Light. Short but it conjures up so much in the way of thoughts and similar experiences. Thank you again. Keith

Sat 18th Mar 2017 22:00

"Growing weary at a folkies bear and banjos. Cheers Wolf.

Sat 18th Mar 2017 21:53

Wolf I'm getting there re Christy Moore-

Tom Harding

Mon 13th Mar 2017 01:14

Hi David, thanks for taking the time to look at my collection, really appreciate the support and the kind comments!

Ian Whiteley

Sat 11th Mar 2017 01:01

thanks for commenting on 'Soldiers Box' David - yes - you've got it in one - must dig out that track and have a listen. I've been on an infrequent theme about my dad - who served in Burmha in WW2 - this is the latest 'visit' to his things that he left me. It makes me sad and proud at the same time. I appreciate you commenting - and sorry for the delay in replying - I don't come on WOL as often as I once did
Ian

Fri 10th Mar 2017 19:05

Cheers David re "Lift" ;- )

elPintor

Sun 12th Feb 2017 23:54

Hi, David,

You know, I'm a big fan of your insight. It bears repeating that hearing how a reader receives a piece (not necessarily praise) is immensely gratifying. I truly appreciate the ability to communicate on this level. And, I know that wouldn't be possible without people like you stepping forward and speaking up with their personal thoughts.

Thanks for supporting me with your continuing comments.

Rachel x

Martin Elder

Wed 8th Feb 2017 21:14

Hi David
Thanks for reading to write or not to write, glad you enjoyed it. Us Orwellians have go to stick together
Cheers
Martin

Rhiannon

Thu 26th Jan 2017 12:26

I really like your exploration of the 'the forest of future words' as you put it... nice imagery. In particular - 'Evolving thought embeds itself, seeking seed.' Very good, mind altering stuff.

Paul Waring

Fri 20th Jan 2017 11:43

David, just wanted to say thank you for your reply to my comments about Shatila 2017 and for the link to your poem 'Not Enough'. I have read it a few times now, it is a brilliant rage-fuelled statement that captures the tradegy of Aleppo (and, of course, many other places blighted by this type of war). It also reminds us the absurdity of war (and other absurdities in the world) that many of us feel helpless and pained about, hurting for our fellow human beings.

Paul

Tom Harding

Fri 18th Nov 2016 20:00

thanks for your recent comments on harbour wolfgar!

Travis Brow

Thu 17th Nov 2016 15:31

Hello Wolfgar, i don't think i've read your biography before, at least not fully. Now, having read it, it strikes me as one of the best, witty and serious and thought provoking. I'm particularly intrigued by your claim that 'I am not what I write'. How true is that? I sort of feel the same, but at the same time i wonder if i'm EXACTLY what i write. There's an archaic (no offence intended, at all) style to your writing which i really like. It's unusual, but you deploy it beautifully in A call to arms.

Katy Megan Hughes

Thu 15th Sep 2016 20:24

Thank you for your comment on my poem 😀
Much appreciated, Katy

elPintor

Wed 14th Sep 2016 21:59

Hi, David,

"before I learned mechanics.." is definitely true, save the location (though I remember the snow having a layer of ice over it, that's how cold it was) and--I'm not sure now why--but I didn't leave him for good for several years after that.

It was about 25 years ago..something brought up the memory and I couldn't stop laughing about it all day yesterday. It is a departure from my usual, but I just had to write about it--even though its also more personal than I would usually permit myself to be in such an open forum.

It was terribly comical. And, for that moment, I felt bad for him. But he was a mean prick and I've never felt a moment's regret or guilt about divorcing him.

Good to hear your comments. I really appreciate it.

elP

Estelle Haward

Mon 12th Sep 2016 15:23

Really like "tilt".

elPintor

Sat 10th Sep 2016 23:24

Hi, David,

I want to say thank you for commenting on "night vision". I share your sense of wonder at the timeless quality of the cosmos. And, to know that we are each part of it--I would say--in turn, makes our lives eternal.

Your opinion means a lot to me. Thanks again for encouraging me to write.

elP x

H R Dawson

Fri 1st Jul 2016 17:37

Your bio leads me to believe that you are a beautiful person. Bravo.

Vicky R.

Thu 23rd Jun 2016 22:42

Hi David,

You're very welcome! It was good to hear from you. Hope you are having a pleasant day :)

-Vicky

Tom

Sun 5th Jun 2016 00:21

Hi David, thanks so much for your comments on Bullet Holes in Backyards. Really pleased you enjoyed it. I know it's not 'learning from the past' exactly but taking stock of what could be, and what has been, is a good way to quickly gain some perspective when needed. Thanks! T.

Helen Elliott

Wed 1st Jun 2016 21:21

David

Sometimes (not often) I read a poem and wish I had written it. 'Write me something of love' is one of those poems. I keep re-reading it. It truly is beautiful and has such a classic feel to it.

I definitely connect to your softer poems.

Helen :)

Emily Kate O'Sullivan

Thu 26th May 2016 15:23

Your writing aside...can I just say I thoroughly enjoyed and respect your bio!

Emily

Ian Whiteley

Mon 23rd May 2016 23:36

Thanks for the kind comments regarding 'The Bayonet In The Shed' Wolfie - pleased you liked it - I know what you mean about the end lines - was a difficult write as 95% of it is true and it brought home a lot of memories
Ian

Sun 22nd May 2016 18:12

David thank you for commenting on Rush Hour

There is a back story to this. A couple of weeks ago my wife asked me to clear last year's debris from the box. As I removed it (requiring a considerable wiggle) I peered inside and to my horror Mrs Tit was already inside and three eggs had been dislodged into the corner of the box.
Carefully replaced, I seem to have done no harm whatsoever, thank goodness!

Thanks again!

Graham

Phil Kay

Tue 17th May 2016 18:09

Just got through "Black Lung"... what a tribute to the fight those folks have made and still make.

Fri 13th May 2016 10:09

David, many thanks for your kind words on Audience.

They have made me edit out (unusual for me) the word robed as I thought from your comments it gave a wrong impression.

Phil Kay

Thu 12th May 2016 18:50

Hey man, thanks again for your comments, this time on "My Grandad". Your comments are spot on.

If I tell people that my Granddad was the bare knuckle champion of Old Hull which was pretty much of Hull then I usually get some sort of remark romanticising the whole situation as some sort of working class anti hero in my family.... They are brain blind to the realities of someone who can do that.

Also the damage we suffer in war is hidden for many by the realities of life after. But families are the ones who see the person who left and the one who came home.

Then there is vilification, the suggestion that by signing on the soldier sort of "asked for it"... and the reality which is by my experience that for a young guy there is a romanticism of the whole situation which is normal and blinds to the realities. How can a young person truly know.

But again thank you so much for your always thoughtful comments David.

Tue 10th May 2016 14:20

Hi David. Thanks for picking up on the slavery poem. I don't usually put on stuff with social content, but the idea came to me about how human time is just a thin layer on old footings (unless you don't believe in evolution of course). Hypocrisy is in there and sadness and how humanity treads down what it takes for granted as civilization apparently moves on. The walkway is just a metaphor, interestingly the chalk is threatened by erosion as we know - but that's life. This is the first entry of the poem anywhere.

Ray.

Ian Whiteley

Tue 10th May 2016 00:00

Thanks for the kind comments on 'Splendid Is The Flower' David - you got it - I appreciate it :-)
Ian

C Byrne

Sun 8th May 2016 20:47

'Crimes against mysanity' hits hard. Take it to a poetry night :)

elPintor

Thu 28th Apr 2016 02:11

I read through Black lung again this morning as I was getting ready for work. It's simply amazing to me how you've captured human suffering..you are very talented.

"Nostalgic remembrances", for sure..I grew up in the Appalachians and still remember the smell of my dad's lunch box--the one he took to the mines along with his green thermos of coffee. There's a somewhat similar smell in auto garages. I still like the smell, too. I also remember my dad telling me that, as a boy, he needed to lift his father from a sleeping position so that he could go to work in the mines because a span of his spine had been replaced with a metal rod..a tough generation, no doubt.

Several years ago there was a mining accident near the place where I grew up..I remember how inadequate I felt when I ran into an old friend's younger sister at a local grocery, a toddler with her and expecting another, her young husband had been recently killed in that tragedy.

..the Appalachians are far from Tacoma, but the sentiment is much the same.

Thanks for such great stuff.

elPintor

Ian Whiteley

Tue 26th Apr 2016 17:11

Thanks for commenting on the Shakespeare sonnet Wolfgar - took a bit of a break from writing following my book being published - wanted a firebreak and a new start - finally getting back in the groove - good to see you posting quality stuff still - regards
Ian

Phil Kay

Sat 23rd Apr 2016 20:37

Thank you so much for your comments on "Blaire Peach", its ironic that politically we have come full circle, very few of us remember the significance or even the event itself of Blairs death. Your words give me hope thank you.
Stay safe wherever you are.

◄ Prev123Next ►