Shirley Smothers

Sat 4th Nov 2017 16:56

Thank you for your comment on my poem ANXIETY. I had a major attack on Thursday night and wrote this poem. Sorry to hear you suffer this also. I would not wish this on an enemy.

Writing poetry helps me with my depression and anxiety.

Shirley

Colin Hill

Tue 18th Apr 2017 20:16

worked for me. You might have to watch an ad first. If not, it was 'Wordy Rappinghood' by Tom Tom Club.
Try this:

Stu Buck

Wed 12th Apr 2017 23:21

hey nat, hope your well
just to let you know my book is now available, heres a link

Laura Taylor

Tue 11th Apr 2017 16:46

Heya Nat - glad you enjoyed my little ode to perfume-wearing gobshites 😉

Stu Buck

Mon 10th Apr 2017 00:13

hey nat!
hope your well.
book will be out by the end of the month. i'll mainly be selling it at gigs but it will be on amazon and the publishers website. i'll be getting a batch of author copies as well so if you struggle to find it just message me and i will sort you one out.
and thanks, thats made my day!

Laura Taylor

Wed 14th Dec 2016 09:23

Hi Nat

Yeh, it is funny you commented that way - but absolutely bang on, eh?

Aye, as I said, I can't think of a greater honour. x

Fri 9th Dec 2016 20:14

Thanks for reading and commenting on 'I think that children - '. I swear I don't know where thoughts come from sometimes; I just don't. It's as though my brain works on some kind of remote control, constantly sifting and processing the world, events and people. Like I'm simply washing the dishes - and BAM! - the thought is there, fully formed and needing to be written down.

While there seems to be no catalyst, actually I believe there is always a connection, however convoluted. And a little mental sleuthing will usually show the path travelled from sink to pen. I take great care with what I purposefully put into my head, because it is super active all by itself.

I like talking to you. Didn't mean to go on so long.

Cynthia

Laura Taylor

Wed 7th Dec 2016 13:54

Hi Nat, thank you. A little bit more about Kaleidoscope. It's probably easier if I just c&p my fb post about this...

When you write a poem and send it off into the world, you never know who will read it, or what it might mean to them. Each poem will mean something different to everyone who reads it. That's one of the greatest joys of poetry, for me.

Today, one of my poems has been chosen by a friend, who will read it at the funeral of his beloved wife. They chose it together before she died, because they knew it would mean very many different things to everyone who hears it. In effect, they are spreading the joy of interpretation, through my poem, at her funeral.

I can't think of any greater honour than that, tbh, or any more important use for a poem.

xx

Wed 9th Nov 2016 12:08

Hi, Natasha,

Thanks for your comments. As for 'targetted words' - that comes with a lot of effort. Most first versions are usually 'acceptable' to me; but I always let them percolate for a period, to filter out the unnecessary words, or to find a better one entirely for any given idea.

I do two things without fail:

1) I make a print-out on paper, to physically handle the words. I don't know why this is so important to me, except that it seems to involve more of my body than just my eyes. This sounds so ridiculous, I can hardly believe I'm saying it.

2) I always read my words out loud, and judge their effectiveness by the ease of speaking them. I do this at different times of the day, in different parts of the house. My mind is never static, and it picks up things I missed before, giving the poem a fresh focus. That's partly the value of the paper: it travels easily.

I don't compose on the keyboard. I think the speed itself is a drawback to real finesse, and the urge to 'send', ie. 'share', is too immediate, and very rarely justified. That said, I'm sure many poets work the keyboard as carefully as I do the pen. But it's not the norm.

Wolfgar Miere

Tue 1st Nov 2016 22:01

Hello Natasha, many thanks for your like and comment on "November spawned a monster" very much appreciated.

I'm catching up and enjoying reading your work at present,

Thanks again,

David.

Laura Taylor

Tue 1st Nov 2016 14:13

Helloo! Thanks for y'note on Predator 😃 Well done on POTW! 😃

Preeti Sinha

Sun 30th Aug 2015 13:07

Us girls are tough ;) Lovely to see you back and posting.
And superlative stuff, too.

Corr Lens

Sat 1st Aug 2015 09:48

thank you for the comment! been enjoying your work. I have a feeling it will occupy the rest of my evenings reading.

Sun 28th Jun 2015 14:30

Oh! and you seem to have grown a horn since last time too. ;-)