John Marks

Fri 31st Aug 2018 10:55

Thank you to all of you kind people who have taken the time to comment upon my scribbling. Kindness is, for me, the greatest, and most under-rated, of the virtues. Thank you Big Sal for planting in my head the possibility (I was going to write 'positing' but that's a very silly word) that I might be around at the end of time. Has my head spinning that. I love to read poetry, I read everyday if possible, and I try to learn from other poets of the past and present. I really admire the work of the deeply unfashionable, Anglo-American, Anglican poet TS Eliot:

“Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden. My words echo
Thus, in your mind.
But to what purpose
Disturbing the dust on a bowl of rose-leaves
I do not know.
Other echoes
Inhabit the garden. Shall we follow?”

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Big Sal

Thu 30th Aug 2018 15:04

Here's hoping you keep writing until the end of time John.👍

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Frances Macaulay Forde

Fri 17th Aug 2018 03:00

G'day John,
I've bought and read your Kindle chapbook 'A Waste of Time' and do not consider it so... I enjoyed it!
Especially the more personal poems like 'Children' or the 'Photograph'; the very sad 'Words that I forget' and 'Rainy September'.
Unfortunately I no longer buy books but only Kindle versions because my house is FULL! So although I would like to have purchased it, apparently 'Shadows and Dust' is only available to read on Amazon's app - which I don't want.
You are a favourite so I shall keep an eye out for more on WOL.

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Colin Hill

Mon 30th Jul 2018 08:36

Hi John
astir in SW Wales
this side of the Atlantic
travels on hold . . .

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Darren J Beaney

Mon 11th Jun 2018 19:27

Hi John

Thanks for the message, it was a pleasure to read your work. I love the idea of thoughts forming like an Oxbow lake. Terrific!

Having just read your profile -
I also love the way you have kept those 3 years going!
Cheers

D

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Sun 15th Oct 2017 11:55

I appreciate your interest and your comments. I always consider very carefully suggestions from fellow writers. And I have benefitted hugely.

But, in the case of 'The Dreamfooter', I would not now make alterations. It has been twice published and three times presented in spoken poetry 'programmes'.

I often make changes years after first 'writing'. Just not this time.

Thanks much. And, please, never hesitate to challenge anything I write. That is real 'sharing'.

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Mon 10th Jul 2017 12:43

Interesting how 'history' is essentially 'story' as opposed to 'records'. The account itself, or at least the slant of it, depends on the person/s reporting of the happening/s, personal interests and the effective result/s. Records are then hugely influenced.

Point of view must always be a cautionary background to 'history'.

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Dominic James

Mon 13th Feb 2017 13:40

Hi John

Just come across your home page and blog, I hope the collection is going well, let me re-word comment on Byzantine - I retreat rapidly before your superior knowledge!
Dom.

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Tue 14th Jun 2016 12:51

I'll make an effort to check more of your work. I like your ideas. Besides, my eyes work better now.

I live in Sale. You might like to try the WOL evening at Sale Waterside which meets next Tuesday; it's a widely varied group, and very friendly.

I'm going to be so embarrassed if you've already been out and I've not recognized your name.

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Thu 26th Aug 2010 22:05

Good evening John-'Fog at sea'..brilliant! your work is a 'must read' without doubt-and very much intend to do so-hope your health improves and quickly-thank you John-best regards-Stef

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks

Ann Foxglove

Tue 27th Apr 2010 00:31

I think your poem is really good. I esp like the last verse. To be able to write about this sort of subject in such a no-nonsense straight way makes it all the more touching. Hope your better health continues and hope to see more of your stuff on WOL.

Comment is about John E Marks (poet profile)

Original item by John E Marks