Brian Maryon

Thu 31st Oct 2019 23:45

John - the words which Graham refers to, which you posted on his profile (16 Oct), I recognise as my words to him on his return to WOL after a break.

No need to apologise John...I actually feel quite flattered that you went back eight months to find the quote.

Thu 17th Oct 2019 20:39

Oh! I see my mistake now John. I thought they were your views and not those of another poet posted last February that you have dragged back for some god knows why reason.
Then I noticed that you have recently turned your profile into a David Moore tribute page. Now it all makes sense.
So let me tell you where I am. I’ll not create another battlefield here on WOL with you.
My advice, not that I suspect you’ll take it is, please take care and keep your comments to other’s work. You might also feel like apologising to the person whose comments you’ve plagiarised too.
As for me.....none taken!

Thu 17th Oct 2019 10:17

Thank you John.

Tom

Mon 14th Oct 2019 11:08

Thanks for your comment on The Way I Write, John. You've managed to sum it all up in a single sentence. 😃

steven arthur

Thu 11th Apr 2019 11:13

Never stop writing, John.

Becky Who

Mon 1st Apr 2019 17:14

Hi John, thanks for the birthday wishes, so sweet of you to remember! Sorry I've not been around much recently, think I've missed a few things. You ok?

John Marks

Sat 23rd Mar 2019 23:34

Not too bad Jacob me ol'mukker. Can't walk, in pain a lot. BUT my daughter is about to give birth and that is beyond anything. I'm sure you know. Thanks for the ointment you sent me/ It is having an ameliorative effect but not enough. I need surgery and i'm seeing the surgeon on the 28th. More I read about Colorado, the more I like it. VERY progressive for a western state. All the best now and forever to you and your family. John

steven arthur

Sat 23rd Mar 2019 12:32

Hope you are well my friend. You and your family are in my thoughts, John.?

Sat 16th Mar 2019 15:56

Hello John - many thanks for your comment on my home page - and the quoted extract from the Binyon poem. Even
reading those lines brought the moisture to my eyes, such
is the effect on me of their irresistible evocation of nature's power for renewal.
And, yes, the first name is Mark.

elPintor

Fri 8th Mar 2019 22:15

Still about, if only for now..

Thanks, John.

John Marks

Wed 27th Feb 2019 20:21

Thank you Trevor, Kate and Mae for stopping by and for your encouragement. Best wishes - John

trevor homer

Wed 27th Feb 2019 11:29

The poem was written for my granddaughter - so for you to offer such a personal comment means a great deal to me. By the way, I love the reflective mood of Drinking Where The River Bed Is Dry

<Deleted User> (19913)

Thu 21st Feb 2019 03:42

Hi John, I wanted to drop by and say how much I enjoy your work, and your supportive comments - particularly the lovely one you took the time to make on my blog. There's a beautiful quality to your work that leaves me wanting more. Thanks again, Kate

Mae Foreman

Sun 3rd Feb 2019 12:49

Impressing bio John! I can relate on some issues (check my bio). I also loved your sample "stolen child"! I can say it faintly reminds me of the Peter Pan fantasy; some magical shadow sweeping you off in the middle of the night and taking into a dreamworld!?
I believe you definitely have a lot of things to say.
Thanks
Mae

Big Sal

Sat 19th Jan 2019 12:46

Thank you much for stopping by to read my work well into the beginning of 2019, John.

I do hope you were able to scrape some enjoyment from them!

Until next time, Excelsior!

Taylor Crowshaw

Sat 19th Jan 2019 06:20

Thank you for your comment on The Matriarch John. I loved the poem you sent..x

John Marks

Sat 19th Jan 2019 05:22

"Glory is like a circle in the water, which never ceaseth to enlarge itself, till, by broad spreading, it disperse to naught."

Henry VI Pt 1

poemagraphic

Tue 15th Jan 2019 07:45

'The embroidered cloths' is one of the most amazing poems I have read in many a year John.

A woven typeset with a golden thread running all the though it. From its inception in those little grey cells to a tapestry of woven brilliance colour and light.

Po

John Marks

Sat 29th Dec 2018 21:45

Thanks Ray, Big Sal, Po, Taylor and Martin for getting in touch. A healthy and happy new year to you all!

For last year's words belong to last year's language
And next year's words await another voice.
And to make an end is to make a beginning."

(Little Gidding)”
― T.S. Eliot

Fri 28th Dec 2018 15:59

Hi John. I wanted to say that I appreciate your comment about rhetoric on my poem Letter from the Streets. I felt that there was probably enough flak to basically undermine any merit the poem had, based purely on an idea and not supposed to be a treatise on the subject. This is why I have contacted you directly. I think rhetoric should add views certainly, but I'd had enough in this case. I hope you will understand!

Ray

Big Sal

Mon 24th Dec 2018 12:40

Happy holidays to you and yours as well, John. Hope the New Year is a better one.

Be well.?

poemagraphic

Sat 15th Dec 2018 06:44

Bloody hell John I am crying this morning after reading some of your work.

You are one of the most crafted poets I have read in my life.

poemagraphic

Thu 29th Nov 2018 22:54

Good evening John.

When I have time I will dive a little deeper and Immerse myself in your work.

Thank you for your support and comments
Po

Big Sal

Fri 23rd Nov 2018 18:35

Thanks for everything, John.

I also appreciate the shout out on your newly-typed up biography for WOL.

We can all stand to learn something from each other.?

Taylor Crowshaw

Wed 21st Nov 2018 21:19

Thank you for your comments on The Dance John, it is wonderful to read the perspectives seen in our work, from another's view. Taylor

Big Sal

Sat 20th Oct 2018 01:16

I'm glad you like the piece John, not many people did. As for all the great work you've been posting up, I can only hope you preserve them in some additional way as they are something special and deserve recognition.

Keep on writing my friend, and good health and wishes to you and yours. ?

Be well.?

Martin Elder

Sun 30th Sep 2018 10:25

Thanks for your words John. I always look forward to reading your work and I love your sample poems which are good reflection of what you write. I totally understand what you mean about a dreary Manchester sky as I live in the area myself.
Keep writing and posting my friend
all the best
Martin

John Marks

Fri 31st Aug 2018 10:55

Thank you to all of you kind people who have taken the time to comment upon my scribbling. Kindness is, for me, the greatest, and most under-rated, of the virtues. Thank you Big Sal for planting in my head the possibility (I was going to write 'positing' but that's a very silly word) that I might be around at the end of time. Has my head spinning that. I love to read poetry, I read everyday if possible, and I try to learn from other poets of the past and present. I really admire the work of the deeply unfashionable, Anglo-American, Anglican poet TS Eliot:

“Time present and time past
Are both perhaps present in time future,
And time future contained in time past.
If all time is eternally present
All time is unredeemable.
What might have been is an abstraction
Remaining a perpetual possibility
Only in a world of speculation.
What might have been and what has been
Point to one end, which is always present.
Footfalls echo in the memory
Down the passage which we did not take
Towards the door we never opened
Into the rose-garden. My words echo
Thus, in your mind.
But to what purpose
Disturbing the dust on a bowl of rose-leaves
I do not know.
Other echoes
Inhabit the garden. Shall we follow?”

Big Sal

Thu 30th Aug 2018 15:04

Here's hoping you keep writing until the end of time John.?

Frances Macaulay Forde

Fri 17th Aug 2018 03:00

G'day John,
I've bought and read your Kindle chapbook 'A Waste of Time' and do not consider it so... I enjoyed it!
Especially the more personal poems like 'Children' or the 'Photograph'; the very sad 'Words that I forget' and 'Rainy September'.
Unfortunately I no longer buy books but only Kindle versions because my house is FULL! So although I would like to have purchased it, apparently 'Shadows and Dust' is only available to read on Amazon's app - which I don't want.
You are a favourite so I shall keep an eye out for more on WOL.

UPDATE: I'm happy to report I now have the e-book 'Shadows and Dust' and will dive in and enjoy!

<Deleted User> (13762)

Mon 30th Jul 2018 08:36

Hi John
astir in SW Wales
this side of the Atlantic
travels on hold . . .

Darren J Beaney

Mon 11th Jun 2018 19:27

Hi John

Thanks for the message, it was a pleasure to read your work. I love the idea of thoughts forming like an Oxbow lake. Terrific!

Having just read your profile -
I also love the way you have kept those 3 years going!
Cheers

D

Sun 15th Oct 2017 11:55

I appreciate your interest and your comments. I always consider very carefully suggestions from fellow writers. And I have benefitted hugely.

But, in the case of 'The Dreamfooter', I would not now make alterations. It has been twice published and three times presented in spoken poetry 'programmes'.

I often make changes years after first 'writing'. Just not this time.

Thanks much. And, please, never hesitate to challenge anything I write. That is real 'sharing'.

Mon 10th Jul 2017 12:43

Interesting how 'history' is essentially 'story' as opposed to 'records'. The account itself, or at least the slant of it, depends on the person/s reporting of the happening/s, personal interests and the effective result/s. Records are then hugely influenced.

Point of view must always be a cautionary background to 'history'.

Dominic James

Mon 13th Feb 2017 13:40

Hi John

Just come across your home page and blog, I hope the collection is going well, let me re-word comment on Byzantine - I retreat rapidly before your superior knowledge!
Dom.

Tue 14th Jun 2016 12:51

I'll make an effort to check more of your work. I like your ideas. Besides, my eyes work better now.

I live in Sale. You might like to try the WOL evening at Sale Waterside which meets next Tuesday; it's a widely varied group, and very friendly.

I'm going to be so embarrassed if you've already been out and I've not recognized your name.

Thu 26th Aug 2010 22:05

Good evening John-'Fog at sea'..brilliant! your work is a 'must read' without doubt-and very much intend to do so-hope your health improves and quickly-thank you John-best regards-Stef

Ann Foxglove

Tue 27th Apr 2010 00:31

I think your poem is really good. I esp like the last verse. To be able to write about this sort of subject in such a no-nonsense straight way makes it all the more touching. Hope your better health continues and hope to see more of your stuff on WOL.