David Mac

Wed 21st Sep 2011 06:01

calm down, people! let's not get all serious about things, it was just a dumb little poem - but true. i do alright.

Comment is about Length & Girth (blog)

Original item by David Mac

Wed 21st Sep 2011 00:39

It's just a phase we go through for the rest of our lives.

Comment is about Day's End (blog)

Harry O'Neill

Wed 21st Sep 2011 00:15

Anne
had to come back to this.

Better than `good` - `great`

I can almost see those iris` widening in that barn.

Comment is about owl (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

stella jones

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:55

heh heh...you should have told me to sod off..I can be far too nosey at times ya'know! :)

Comment is about Philipos (poet profile)

Original item by Philipos

Lynn Dye

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:51

Enjoyed this poem, too, Hazel, lovely idea to be able to see the world through the eyes of a child.

Comment is about Through The Eyes Of a Child (blog)

Lynn Dye

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:47

I like this very much, Hazel, can almost smell the rain.

Comment is about RAINDROPS (blog)

Lynn Dye

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:39

Ooohh, very naughty, Stefan!!
I like it though... xx

Comment is about windows (blog)

Philipos

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:31

Hi Steve, someone once said that Woking is the dead centre of Surrey because of the Brookwood Necropolis. But it is also famous for having the first Crematorium in the UK at St John's. You have a good memory about my using the phrase Necropolis in another poem a while back but that one related to St Johns. Brookwood is an incredibly spacious and historical plot with famous people buried there, and IMO should be publicised more as a Surrey place to visit.

Comment is about THE NECROPOLIS. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

Lynn Dye

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:15

Thank you for your kind comments on Crimson Lipstick, Philipos, much appreciated.

Comment is about Philipos (poet profile)

Original item by Philipos

Lynn Dye

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:11

Hi Isobel, thank you for kind comments on Crimson Lipstick, much appreciated. xx

Comment is about Isobel (poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Lynn Dye

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:09

Cheers and thank you everyone :)

John, I think you must be too young to have dated her - hey, wait a minute, you're not that Jack, are you??!!

Comment is about Crimson Lipstick (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Lynn Dye

Tue 20th Sep 2011 22:07

Thanks for comments on Crimson Lipstick, John. Have answered more on the blog itself.

Comment is about John Coopey (poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Tue 20th Sep 2011 20:42

Hello Shirley
Thanks for commenting on my two poems "Fix" and "I Dreamt You Were Little Again".
There's a saying, "When they're young they break your arms and when they're older they break your heart". Kids!
I've done a few about my kids but be careful if you stumble across some of my more risque stuff.
On the audio front, I'm sure a predominantly British audience would love to hear your Southern tones. I know I would.

Comment is about Shirley Smothers (poet profile)

Original item by Shirley Smothers

stella jones

Tue 20th Sep 2011 20:19

Aww Andy thanks so much for liking nothing of much worth lol looks daft when I write it like that..read it in Liverpool Monday night and it got a decent reception so all is well.. :)

Comment is about Andy N (poet profile)

Original item by Andy N

stella jones

Tue 20th Sep 2011 20:18

Phillipos, many thanks for commenting on nothing of much worth (lol that looks funny in type doesn't it?) Anyways I performed this for the first time last night and it got a decent reception..

So if there is no Greek blood in you how come it is Phillipos?..

Comment is about Philipos (poet profile)

Original item by Philipos

stella jones

Tue 20th Sep 2011 20:15

Hiya Isobel :)

Nothing of much worth began with the bell jar and Plath, her realtionship with the men in her life etc but then I sorta Stellerised it ha ha ha...so glad you caught the mood though..xx :)

Comment is about Isobel (poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Tue 20th Sep 2011 20:11

hi MBJ.
this poem
would go down very well
at the drop-in centre for the homless
-little chapel service
that we attend every thursday.

the people who run it
work unbelievably hard.

look forward to your next poem.
thanks.

Patricia and Stef Wilde

Comment is about My Fall and His Grace (blog)

Shirley Smothers

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:40

Scary, creepy. I love it!

Comment is about diamante ghost (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:31

appreciate your reading 'Wild one' Marianne
thank you.

Comment is about Marianne Daniels (poet profile)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Shirley Smothers

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:24

Hi Andy, thanks for commenting on my "A Silly Poem About Hair". Ann Foxglove's poem "A Silly Housework Poem" inspired me to post my recent poem.
My latest poems have been dark and I needed to lighten the mood.
I do have a lot of nonsense/silly poems. I have to think hard about which ones to post. Some are cute others just plain weird.

Thanks
Shirley

Comment is about Andy N (poet profile)

Original item by Andy N

Shirley Smothers

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:17

Hello Philipos- thanks for commenting on my "A Silly Poem About Hair".
I was inspired to post this after listening to "A Silly Housework Poem" by Ann Foxglove.
I do have a lot of nonsense poems but don't know if I'm brave enough to post them. Some are cute others just plain weird.

Thanks again
Shirley

Comment is about Philipos (poet profile)

Original item by Philipos

Shirley Smothers

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:14

Hi John. Thanks for commenting on my poem "My Mother's Gentle Hands. I especially liked your poems, "I dreamt You Were Little Again" and "Fix".
I have left comments on these pages.

Thanks,
Shirley

Comment is about John Coopey (poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Shirley Smothers

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:09

Again nice and touching poem.
I myself haven't the courage to record my own poems. I have a slight southern(American) accent.
And I think my voice is dull.
Very good writing.

Shirley

Comment is about Fix (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Isobel

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:07

Your poem was entertaining - fetching indeed.

Comment is about Length & Girth (blog)

Original item by David Mac

Shirley Smothers

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:06

Very touching poem. My youngest is 18 and will graduate in June.
Brought a tear to my eye.
Being from America I don't often get to hear voices like yours. It's a nice change.

Thanks for so many wonderful poems.

Shirley

Comment is about I Dreamt You Were Little Again (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Isobel

Tue 20th Sep 2011 19:06

Cynthia is right. It was the wrong question to ask. There will always be someone bigger than you, just as there will always be someone smaller. The important thing is what kind of a lover you are, which doesn't always have anything to do with your dick. I wouldn't advise asking anyone about that either. Just presume you are the best. Women like a confident man, happy in his own foreskin :)

Comment is about Length & Girth (blog)

Original item by David Mac

David Cooke

Tue 20th Sep 2011 15:53

Hi John Glad you like the Scholars poem. It was inspired by a recent visit to Reading Museum. I had never heard the phrase 'ragged school' before and just wanted to get it into a poem by hook or crook. I must say that I also didn't see much difference between the Victorian classroom and those we had in the 50s in my own school!

Comment is about John Coopey (poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Philipos

Tue 20th Sep 2011 15:05

Hi Dave,(Necropolis)thanks for commenting. Yes the monks are very much still there and many improvements made to the old Anglican church buildings which they took over (perhaps I should write another stanza to include that aspect).

The estate is looking so much better than you will recall from ten years past but there is a long way to go and the actual owner of the site was involved in quite a lot of contoversy which appeared in the papers.

One can't help thinking back to when the site was first opened and how magnificent it might have looked with an abundance of gardeners in attendance etc.

Comment is about Dave Bradley (poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Philipos

Tue 20th Sep 2011 15:04

Hi Dave, thanks for commenting. Yes the monks are very much still there and many improvements made to the old Anglican church buildings which they took over (perhaps I should write another stanza to include that aspect).

Comment is about THE NECROPOLIS. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

Tue 20th Sep 2011 14:02

Thanks for your comments on A Breath of Fresh Air, P.
An old blog, but I felt it appropriate to give it a repeat.

Comment is about Philipos (poet profile)

Original item by Philipos

nick armbrister

Tue 20th Sep 2011 13:21

thanx for posting and reading. i know it would be awful and so bad, i wrote this some time ago. If it happens to me, my mind going, please shoot me lol. In reality, people losing their mind is a very serious topic and not a nice one.

Comment is about NUMB (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

Dave Bradley

Tue 20th Sep 2011 12:59

Good luck, Ann

Comment is about Mining for poetry: new open mic in Cornwall (article)

Tue 20th Sep 2011 12:11

I'm so sorry we got our wires crossed. My review on Joy Change has been ready for three months; just waiting for your heads-up to send it. The current one is very good.

Comment is about Julian Jordon (poet profile)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Tue 20th Sep 2011 12:08

What do you mean, I make it worse? This is a very real, emotional and psychological question, that plagues many men. I chose to answer the premise with humour, to devalue its presumed importance. It is no different than women who might feel less womanly because they have breasts 'the size of peas!' (as I was once told with no joke intended. It did not undermine me, but it was deliberately cruel, and intended to make me feel less than attractive.) This is a very sad poem, because it is self-destroying.

Comment is about Length & Girth (blog)

Original item by David Mac

Dave Bradley

Tue 20th Sep 2011 12:05

Thanks for commenting, Andy, Philipos, Chris, John, Stella, Greg and Steve - who is spot on in outing me as an ex-hippy. Although I was always more scruff than hippy - I've added a photo from 1971 for fun. I'm the guy at the back.

Chris has thrown down a challenge. This actually happened. I was glued to the screen as so many WOL-ites are, from time to time. Then I realised the sun was shining and maybe there was something better outside. I happened to have bare feet. The plums happened to be ripe, why pick 'em before eating 'em, when it's rained the night before and Nature has washed them?

Faith should not exist in religious boxes. It either pervades everything or is nothing. For me, that is because a personal God is everywhere. But, if at all possible, faith should make bridges rather than barriers. If my pagan or atheist or whatever friends like the poem, fine, and respect to them.

Comment is about Communion (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Marianne Louise Daniels

Tue 20th Sep 2011 12:01

Beautiful. I love Owls - their stealth, mystique and beauty and the coolness of their hunting. You have painted it for me perfectly. x

Comment is about owl (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Marianne Louise Daniels

Tue 20th Sep 2011 11:49

We are on our own from birth in this respect, everything seems an act to feel that security before...good piece.

Comment is about Infants Become Skeletons (blog)

Original item by Kealan Coady

Marianne Louise Daniels

Tue 20th Sep 2011 11:45

its absolutely terrifying and explaining it renders most to give you a wide berth, in reality. I had an image of tiny creature, slumped, with arms outstretched.

Comment is about NUMB (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

Tue 20th Sep 2011 11:18

Marianne, once again a thrilling work; your words make everything vibrate, like an elemental force. I'm with Graham totally - that image of 'grey-green hills' is incredible. I do wonder at some of the commas, and their respective purposes. In a short work perhaps the use of commas should be for a singular reason, because I'm not sure when to relate ideas and when to separate them.

Comment is about Panic Attack (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Tue 20th Sep 2011 10:40

It hurts my heart to miss this. Especially to fraternize, to share work and ideas collegiately. Perhaps another situation will be offered; perhaps not. I can hope.

Comment is about Like to write poetry at Ted Hughes' house? - last chance for a place (article)

Tue 20th Sep 2011 10:29

Bonne chance, Ann girl. This is a fantastic idea, and, IMO, a perfect outlet for your unflagging enthusiasm, your personal drive to share the poetical 'buzz' and your own mighty talent. Keep us posted; doesn't matter what. Very imaginative name for the group, considering Cornwall.

Comment is about Mining for poetry: new open mic in Cornwall (article)

Tue 20th Sep 2011 10:14

I cannot attend this session in London, but I will reread my small volume 'Selected Poems of Edward Thomas' edited by R. S. Thomas and dedicated to Helen Thomas, Faber and Faber, 1964, with great pleasure. Somehow, I secured this volume from the cast-offs of a now defunct Academic 6th Form Centre in Bermuda. Second-hand shops and Church Fair tables are often sources of sheer literary delights.

Comment is about Remembering Edward Thomas (article)

andy n

Tue 20th Sep 2011 09:01

excellent stuff, dave.. really enjoyed this although i reckon it would tie me in knots if i tried performing it - lol

Comment is about Communion (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

andy n

Tue 20th Sep 2011 09:00

like i feel to reveal at the end here in particular, kept making me think of wrapping chocolates here - god knows why! xx

Comment is about Verse (blog)

andy n

Tue 20th Sep 2011 08:59

love the last stanza here Stella, but it's a strong, well structured piece - bet it'll go down well live also xx

Comment is about Nothing of Much Worth (blog)

andy n

Tue 20th Sep 2011 08:57

excellent stuff, shirley.. made me smile big style this morning.. would love to see more like this xx

Comment is about A silly poem about hair. (blog)

Original item by Shirley Smothers

andy n

Tue 20th Sep 2011 08:53

blimely - that's deep stuff, Kealan.. another for submitting to a good magazine i feel, m8.. excellent.. A

Comment is about Infants Become Skeletons (blog)

Original item by Kealan Coady

Dave Bradley

Tue 20th Sep 2011 08:30

Good poem. Brookwood is fascinating. I was there about 10 years ago and had a long chat with a Greek Orthodox monk living as part of a community in the middle of it. Are they still there?

Comment is about THE NECROPOLIS. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

Dave Bradley

Tue 20th Sep 2011 08:26

This is powerful, Melissa. It may strike a chord with many as so many poets feel themselves to be outsiders. They may not comment as it's difficult to know what to say or to find the courage to say "me too".

Comment is about Only (blog)

◄ Prev123 … 181 … 362 … 543 … 724 … 905 … 991992993994995 … 1086 … 1267 … 1448 … 1629 … 180518061807Next ►