Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Dec 2012 19:34

reminds us of the humanity and needs of those for whom what is regarded as a 'normal life' is out of reach.

Comment is about GIMME SHELTER (blog)

Original item by Mike Hilton

Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Dec 2012 19:13

Ah a touch of levity about a somewhat touchy creature. nice one.

Comment is about Why are there no spiders in the Wizard of Oz? (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Dec 2012 19:00

well done, an arresting poem with so many good lines and images.From the sloughs of despair to the rebirth of hope in a few succinct lines. I really like this. xx

Comment is about I'm back. (blog)

Original item by mike watts

Isobel

Sun 30th Dec 2012 18:54

I went to a couple of venues with Janet and can remember laughing and chatting with her. She was very supportive of me when I first entered the poetry scene and was always very encouraging.

I know that she had many interests to occupy her outside of the performance scene but I like to think that she might have come back to us one day, given the opportunity.

54 is no age at all - it really makes you appreciate the fact that you need to make the most of every day.

This news really upset me too.

Comment is about Death of north-west poet Janet Ramsden (article)

Francine

Sun 30th Dec 2012 16:55

Yes, shocked and sad to hear...
Though we never met in person - we did chat online several times.
I will always remember her generosity and warmth. xx

Comment is about Death of north-west poet Janet Ramsden (article)

Sun 30th Dec 2012 15:39

Nice work Sinta. welcome to WOL.

Comment is about Sinta Jimenez (poet profile)

Original item by Sinta Jimenez

Sun 30th Dec 2012 15:33

I really liked this Paul, although being a fan of punctuation (sometimes a dirty word in poetry I know) I found some of it hard to read and keep in rhythm with. The words spill well onto the page. Well done!

Graham

Comment is about Hole (blog)

Original item by Paul Sands

Sun 30th Dec 2012 15:27

This was far more penetrable for me Marianne. There are some really good words here. good to see that you are still in great form. I'm not sure whether this is a fine finish to 2012 or a fantastic start to 2013. nonetheless, brilliant stuff. Happy New Year!

Comment is about the Clock (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Julian (Admin)

Sun 30th Dec 2012 11:32

I was shocked to hear of Janet's death. She was all the things mentioned above, and always generous in her support of other online poets. She was also curious and eager to learn and improve. She was a great timekeeper on the Wigan slams, too. What a sad loss. It reminds me just how easily we (I?) lose contact with others if we don't pay attention.

Comment is about Death of north-west poet Janet Ramsden (article)

Maggie Waker

Sat 29th Dec 2012 19:18

Thank you for your good wishes after my recent accident. After spending a lot of time in hospital over the last few weeks, my thoughts turned to this poem by Charles Causley "Ten Types of Hospital Visitor" enjoy!

I'll be back soon I hope. All good wishes for a Happy New Year.
Maggie

Comment is about Victory at Christmas - (December 2012 Collage Poem) (blog)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Nigel Astell

Sat 29th Dec 2012 17:32

Torn nightie
Sweet sugar
Stays sticky
At bottom
Of mug
When discarded
By your
Gentleman caller.

Comment is about Gentleman Caller (blog)

Original item by Katy Megan Hughes

Julian (Admin)

Sat 29th Dec 2012 10:39

Steve, that is so funny, both high and low in Marsden. Isobel, you are so right about Steve Pottinger's Starbucks poem. I have just shared it on Facebook, I think. We should tell the world about it. it's even better with the video.

Comment is about Year of the Red Wheelbarrow: but how was 2012 for you? (article)

steve mellor

Sat 29th Dec 2012 08:55

Highlight/Lowlight (all in one) was definitely the Saturday afternoon as part of the Xmas Lights switching on at Marsden Mechanics
:-))))))))))))))
I am still slightly traumatised (something to talk about though). 100 - 150 seats, but nobody sitting on them for most of the performance by the wonderful (present company excepted) group of readers who form the Marsden poetry group. I think we got up to an audience of 4 or 5 by the end.

Best Gig? Marsden Jazz Festival 'Jam', pretty much the same as it has been for the last 3 years

Isobel

Fri 28th Dec 2012 22:37

This is my favourite poem of the year. There were possibly others but I don't remember them all. This one is recent.

Favourite events - easy innit - every Wigan WOL Tudor I've been to plus the Marsden jazz festival. Also the Diggers festival in Wigan, where Laura performed alongside Attila the Stockbroker. That was a great day out.

Isobel

Fri 28th Dec 2012 22:31

On the whole I'm quite glad to see the back of 2012 though I'm glad WOL has prospered. If I get one more jolly round robin, I'm likely to explode. Whoever invented the concept of that annual brag needs shooting.

Happy New Year everyone. x

Isobel

Fri 28th Dec 2012 18:02

Well John - in my experience you can't weight a good piece of concrete down forever - it comes bobbing back up at some point.

I think that post Christmas blues are quite common. I woke up feeling grim this morning. I've come to the conclusion that my life needs the structure of work and everyone else being at work or school. Lounging around in pyjamas just makes you feel shit. Life needs to have a purpose. Each day needs to have a purpose. Without it, we are all lost.

'New flesh on old bones' It would be nice to think that we could change ourselves radically. It's very hard to do on your own though. Sometimes you need a catalyst.

I like the poem and I'm glad there is hope in there.

Comment is about I'm back. (blog)

Original item by mike watts

Fri 28th Dec 2012 16:44

There is a certain irony in the knowledge that
the "war baby" generation (that includes me)
that grew up during the post war years of real
deprivation and rationing that went on into the
mid-fifties, is now envied and resented for
what they managed to achieve out of a broken-down, bankrupt Britain, in hock for decades to
the USA, a debt only recently paid off.
Clearly, the parenting generation that followed
on didn't take to heart the reality of what had gone before and that you don't get owt for nowt. There was a distinct belief that they
were somehow "owed" and deserved things "now"
and this is easy to pass down the line so that
we have reached a stage where old folk are
ridiculed and talked of in "disposable" terms
and sinister obsessions with "kids" and their
"needs" become substitutes for the failings
of those holding the fort in modern adult society.
The "war baby" generation (mid-60s onwards)is NOT part of the disastrous failures in the
political oversight of our financial system, nor of the activities of those who occupied
the vital banking positions that served us so recklessly and so badly. Those failings come from the later "want it now and want it all" offspring that followed. But while they had recent history to learn from, they were sure
their way was best and ignored/despised the
lessons that history provides. Like Icarus,
they got above themselves and got burnt...and
the flames have engulfed the rest of us.

Comment is about The Fairytale of New Britain (Lucky Man) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Fri 28th Dec 2012 15:46

I think Kipling would have nodded upon reading
this stirring yet poignant reminder of the real
cost of war...a cost that continues to be paid
long after the event itself.

Comment is about The Final Act (blog)

Original item by Tom Chapman

John Aikman

Fri 28th Dec 2012 15:30

Some time ago

During a

Period

Of madness

I weighted my

Life with

Concrete

And threw it

Into the sea.'

For deeply personal reasons I adore this verse. Beautifully put. I'm working my way towards fulfilling the positive and upwardly (up wordly?) mobile inflection of the finale. But that's enough about me.

Fab, poem. Bleak, but redemptive...

Jx

Comment is about I'm back. (blog)

Original item by mike watts

Noetic-fret!

Fri 28th Dec 2012 12:04

This is a sad and lonely poem. Christmas is difficult for those in this situation, but there is hope in the final stanzas that speak of spring. But I guess the new hope is just as it is, New flesh on old bones. Just like new trees on an old Earth.

Perhaps the past is too painful to reconcile.

Have a great 2013 celebration if you can.

Mike

Comment is about I'm back. (blog)

Original item by mike watts

Noetic-fret!

Fri 28th Dec 2012 11:58

I like the way you tell this story through prose. And a top story this is. My guess is that there are many Jacks around from the 2nd World War and beyond. We just never know because many keep their pain to themselves.

I can't say more than that other than many do not understand their pain unless they have lived it too, but there, my guess is Jack would not want that for anyone.

War is a sad indictment of man. Something I myself wish would never happen in the modern world. There has been enough blood shed now. I wish we could all live in peace.

Have a great new year.

Mike

Comment is about The Final Act (blog)

Original item by Tom Chapman

Noetic-fret!

Fri 28th Dec 2012 11:49

Brilliant Kealan, he was a musical genius! A sad loss.

Mike

Comment is about Ravi Shankar Died The Other Day (blog)

Original item by Kealan Coady

tony sheridan

Fri 28th Dec 2012 00:36

Life makes you who you are. Nice one! Take care, Tony.

Comment is about I'm back. (blog)

Original item by mike watts

tony sheridan

Fri 28th Dec 2012 00:30

Love this! Nice one! Take care,Tony.

Comment is about Connected And Protected (blog)

Original item by Words Escape Me

Mark Mr T Thompson

Thu 27th Dec 2012 23:47

Evocative

Comment is about I'm back. (blog)

Original item by mike watts

Isobel

Thu 27th Dec 2012 20:14

Mmmm - though I'd agree that we look to easily for scapegoats, I'm not sure I can whole heartedly agree with where you lay the blame either John.

It is human nature to want to own a home - an englishman's home is his castle and all that. It is human nature to seek out the cheapest food and food providers. If you bought everything at your corner shop it would be a very dear do. It is human nature to want a bit of sun and warmth when you have been pissed down on all year.

Easy credit is a problem though and yes - younger generations seem to embrace debt a lot easier than their elders. There is a desire to have everything and have it now, that has been fostered and encouraged to a large extent by banks and building societies. And just where did this need for brands and designer goods come from - advertising and the creation of a need that was never there before.

For me the problem comes down to too many people on one small island. Yep, we are all living longer which doesn't help. No doubt childlessness will one day be totally overcome once they learn how to grow wombs and perfect test tube pregnancy. The human race has grown too big for its boots. There aren't enough jobs to keep people employed and without that employment people are bored. Boredom is the worst of all evils - it leads to all kinds of problems. On top of that we have a welfare state that we have no hope of affording in the future and not enough land to provide all these castles.

I don't think there are any easy answers to it all - other than offering voluntary euthanasia - and that wouldn't be much of a vote winner, would it?

Meanwhile - learn to love your kids - you will be stuck with them for much longer than you ever imagined :)

Comment is about I Blame The Scapegoats (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 27th Dec 2012 18:29

Hello Tim
Seasons greetings to you.
Thanks for your thoughts on "The Red Wheelbarrow". You may have guessed that it was my tongue-in-cheek contribution to the dabate on the original in the Discussions section.

Comment is about Tim Ellis (poet profile)

Original item by Tim Ellis

Thu 27th Dec 2012 18:27

Hello Greg
Hope retirement is suiting you although I suspect it won't have kicked in yet.
Thanks for the comment on "The Red Wheelbarrow". "Sheer genius" may over-egg it a little!

Comment is about Greg Freeman (poet profile)

Thu 27th Dec 2012 18:08

Hello AE,
Thanks for your thoughts on "Fairytale of New Britain". Whilst I take a more "personal responsibility" view of the state of the nation, I do like the idea of a contest between parliament and poets. Of course, we have elected them to parliament but appointed ourselves as poets. Perhaps a more democratic method of determining poets/poetry might not be a bad idea?

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Thu 27th Dec 2012 18:00

Hello MC
Thankyou for your thoughts on "Fairytale of New Britain". I find it rather sad that mine was the "chosen generation". We really did "never had it so good" and the saddest thing is - no subsequent generation will.

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Mike Hilton

Thu 27th Dec 2012 16:08

Cheers MC for your observations on Gimme Shelter. Your comments are very much apprecited.

Happy New Year

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Thu 27th Dec 2012 15:32

Ged - thanks for your comment about "Thoughts At Christmas".
I hope you find more to enjoy while you add to
"the brew" that WOL provides.
Cheers!

Comment is about Ged Thompson/ A Liverpool Poet (poet profile)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ A Liverpool Poet

Ged Thompson

Wed 26th Dec 2012 23:49

Nice poem mate

Comment is about THOUGHTS AT CHRISTMAS (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Ged Thompson

Wed 26th Dec 2012 23:44

Thankyou Tony, your very kind

Comment is about You, you (blog)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ A Liverpool Poet

winston plowes

Wed 26th Dec 2012 22:21

Hi Tommy. Liked this a lot. "leaves the echo of
our space." a highlight. Win x

Comment is about Dragging the luggage (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

tony sheridan

Wed 26th Dec 2012 20:58

Hi Sinclair. Spot on! What a fantastic feeling when the words flow from brain to pen. Sometimes we have to wait. Take care, Tony.

Comment is about Writer's Block (blog)

Original item by Sinclair Azubuike Farrell

tony sheridan

Wed 26th Dec 2012 20:44

Love this! Well done mate! Take care, Tony.

Comment is about HUMAN SPIRIT (blog)

Original item by NICK ARMBRISTER

tony sheridan

Wed 26th Dec 2012 20:40

Love this! Another good one Ged. Take care, Tony.

Comment is about You, you (blog)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ A Liverpool Poet

Julian (Admin)

Wed 26th Dec 2012 18:13

Thanks everyone.

Comment is about Poetic magic and sparkle to you at Christmas (article)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Tom

Wed 26th Dec 2012 00:10

Hi Anthony, I just wanted to say thanks for your kind comment on my poem. And Merry Christmas, of course. T

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Tom

Wed 26th Dec 2012 00:01

How odd, I was just listening to Cloudbursting by Kate Bush then landed on your reading of poem - you sound very similar! Really enjoyed the poem and very tempted to 'borrow' the conceit... :) Tx

Comment is about dowsing (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

tony sheridan

Tue 25th Dec 2012 19:27

Another good one John! Take care, Tony.

Comment is about I Blame The Scapegoats (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

tony sheridan

Tue 25th Dec 2012 19:20

Nice one! Take care, Tony.

Comment is about Why are there no spiders in the Wizard of Oz? (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Tue 25th Dec 2012 17:58

Very appropriate as we approach another new year in which to amend some of the self-indulgences we enjoy...if we have the guts.

Comment is about I Blame The Scapegoats (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

tony sheridan

Tue 25th Dec 2012 10:04

Beautiful. Merry Christmas Larisa! Take care, Tony.

Comment is about Merry Christmas! (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Lizzie

Mon 24th Dec 2012 22:24

Thank-you.

Comment is about Happy Holidays (blog)

David Subacchi

Mon 24th Dec 2012 22:00

You can catch more of my work including videos by searching on SUBACCHI+POEM.

Comment is about REMEMBER (blog)

Original item by David Subacchi

David Subacchi

Mon 24th Dec 2012 22:00

You can catch more of my work including videos by searching on SUBACCHI+POEM.

Comment is about HIDING IN SHADOWS (blog)

Original item by David Subacchi

David Subacchi

Mon 24th Dec 2012 21:45

This is an excellent poem that works as well on paper as it does as a performance piece.

Well done Ged!

David Subacchi

Comment is about I believe in fairies (blog)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ A Liverpool Poet

tony sheridan

Mon 24th Dec 2012 20:56

Nice one! Take care, Tony.

Comment is about Trash Overhead (blog)

Original item by NICK ARMBRISTER

◄ Prev123 … 216 … 432 … 648 … 864 … 10531054105510561057 … 1080 … 1296 … 1512 … 1728 … 1944 … 215321542155Next ►