stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 23:07

Brilliant..just can't stop laughing at the very thought!

Comment is about Don't Fuck with Dickens (blog)

Original item by Jack Pascoe

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 23:00

Oh this made me laugh Donna..great stuff and how I hate Top Gear!

Comment is about Love is The Stig (blog)

Original item by Donna Scott

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:57

You're right Ann. My Serendipity was there all along.

Comment is about Ann Foxglove (poet profile)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:55

Still laughing at Steve's comment..yes Dave do explain that line! enjoyed the upbeat of this.

Comment is about Kaleidoscope (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:53

I reckon you've been inhaling more than a handful of dust, RM!

Comment is about A HANDFUL OF DUST/ CUMAEAN SYBIL (blog)

Original item by Richie Muster

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:51

Oh now how I enjoyed this one Philipos :)

quite tantilising. love the use of kerchinking :)

Comment is about FLASHBACKS. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:51

Oh now how I enjoyed this one Philipos :)

quite tantilising. love the use of kerchinking :)

Comment is about FLASHBACKS. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:45

Well RM I have come back to this one several times..so many good lines within..At first I thought oh noooo it is not going to hold my attention as many longer writes don't for I have a small capacity for concentration, I believe it is because I have a smallish brain..and sometimes I strive to understand, getting it at times, but at other times not getting it at all..

I really like the story-tell of this..the subject matter is great and the futility of it all in the closing stanzas epic..loved it RM
did it for me! :)

Comment is about A HANDFUL OF DUST/ CUMAEAN SYBIL (blog)

Original item by Richie Muster

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:32

Enjoyed and I would never,ever want to stoop too low...a bit low is ok in my book though :)

Comment is about Neverever (blog)

Original item by Richie Muster

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 22:03

I thought this quite beautiful Harry.. :)

Comment is about PATIENT BETTY (blog)

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:50

fundamentalist neo minimalism, my arse.
I belong to the blank generation and
I can take it or leave it each time

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 21:42

How's about we have a whip-round for that gun?

Comment is about Am I just a confirmed old misogynist? (blog)

Original item by Philip Fletcher

Lizzie

Thu 16th Feb 2012 18:49

You have a valid point, the more I think about the actions I wish for, the more I see the agenda I have hidden.

Comment is about Just a click away. (blog)

Rachel Bond

Thu 16th Feb 2012 18:26

i would still go back a lot of places i was burned id go back tomorrow and i d watch and wait for the right time to bring em down just cos i could. i write lots of things about forgiveness and forgetfulness but i am a woman i can hold a grudge for ever and ever and the more time of mine it takes up the bigger the damage its gonna be. i dont think any woman goes back to be nice.

Comment is about Just a click away. (blog)

Rachel Bond

Thu 16th Feb 2012 18:02

fundamentalist neo minimalism stole my children it wiped their minds and replaced them with full stops.

all power to the absent

bring back ste black with his very selectively placed type.

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:42

There are some things you want to blank out!
:-)

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Donna Scott

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:39

Thanks Ann and Ray!

Ray - My Dad says he agrees with you about those two lines.

Reference-wise, the aged lads are constantly buying each other bulky and heavy items that their cars can barely cope with for their road trips... things that inevitably end up broken, or breaking the cars, and it's all a huge jape. I think they bought each other statues for driving through Vietnam, for example.

Comment is about Love is The Stig (blog)

Original item by Donna Scott

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:39

Lost all his beard in the 5th...but "with the beard" in the 9th. That confused somewhat. But the "Goon-ish" fun is welcome!

Comment is about Don't Fuck with Dickens (blog)

Original item by Jack Pascoe

Philipos

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:35

Hi Cynthia, again belatedly, many thanks for your comments on 'Night Sights'. This born out of being around in the early hours with an organisation helping young drunks. Not intended to be a prize winner, more a diary entry. Kind of you comment though. Much appreciated.

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:32

Well, that's more like it, Laura. I'm immediately drawn to the creative use of white space and the sure-footedness of the poem. There's a sense in some works that the writer has no overall aim and rather stumbles from one step to the next. Here, the intention is obvious from the start and one isn't disappointed.

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:30

It has the rhythm of "swinging down the lane" -
hand in hand! Like it.

Comment is about Kaleidoscope (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:25

In an age that obsesses about kids and "yoof", I wonder just how many youngsters from
previous generations were forced by circumstance to grow up too soon and take up adult responsibilities long before their time,
especially those who had lost parents and had
few if any relations to turn to. Hard times
indeed.

Comment is about OLD BEFORE HIS TIME (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Julian (Admin)

Thu 16th Feb 2012 17:24

You are right, Harry: you never can tell, unless and until you give people a forum in which they can express themselves in their own way, their own language register and their own style. Which is precisely what drives me, and is what Write Out Loud is all about: encouraging the creation of such fora for all.

Comment is about Above and beyond (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:22

Philip, have you ever thought of buying them a trumpet or for Christmas giving them a gun?

Comment is about Am I just a confirmed old misogynist? (blog)

Original item by Philip Fletcher

Laura Taylor

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:21

Okay then Ray - seriously now...don't you think your complete absence of punctuation misleads the reader into some kind of abstract space of thought where nonsense lies? Also, I think this kind of fundamentalist neo-minimalism is how wars are started, so I'd be careful if I were you.

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:20

I enjoyed this, especially the section from sorrier to eco-warrior. I found the rhythm and the references hard to catch in a few places. Like here

As they load each other’s rides with anvils for racing in the Bahamas

it’s the televisual progeny of Jeremy Beadle and Judith Chalmers.

Comment is about Love is The Stig (blog)

Original item by Donna Scott

stella jones

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:15

heh.heh.heh..

Rach you crease me sometimes lady lol x

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Julian (Admin)

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:13

ipod,
thou poddest
he, she, it pods

we...
used to pod
but it will not be as
sweet as the moment
when the ipods go pop.
Like peace, in a pod.

Comment is about Kaleidoscope (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Lynn Dye

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:12

Thank you for your kind comments, Tommy. :o)

Comment is about Rough Justice (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Lynn Dye

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:12

John, I understand that tax evasion is illegal, but tax avoidance IS legal.
Well, I'm not sure what this comes under. Either it shouldn't have gone to court or he's charmed all the jury.
(Mind you, legality is not the same as morality, is it?)
Cheers for comment. :)
Lynn (believe it or not, a fellow Spurs supporter)

Comment is about Rough Justice (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Harry O'Neill

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:09

Julian,
Some stranger guy came in to a a gig I was at recently and knocked us all sideways with his poem a bit like this...and walked away with the prize.

You never can tell, can you?

Comment is about Above and beyond (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Julian (Admin)

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:09

Well, if whistling is your thing Dave, you perhaps would enjoy a whole weekend of it, including in the streets: The Big Whistle Festival. http://themet.biz/strand/big+whistle+festival/

Comment is about Kaleidoscope (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Harry O'Neill

Thu 16th Feb 2012 16:00

Dave,
The song of a happy man...it made me feel happy.

(I`ll only feel happier if City AND United
both get beat tonight)...Ahh...bliss!

Comment is about Kaleidoscope (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 15:59

It reminded me of the song Nowhere Man, maybe that's not Peter, Paul and Mary!It just seems people like that are easy targets, shooting fish in a barrel. I'd have liked more of the sort of stuff you have in the first verse.
I don't mind no punctuation, some poems are better for it. I just notice it when a poem is neither one or t'other, commas but no full stops.I think Isobel does the same thing. No big matter.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 15:49

Sorry, Laura, just discovered that I posted this on my own profile!

Hello Laura. I've been using Poet's Graves for about 3 years - only place I can get a decent night's sleep what with all these kids.
Plus points - UK based, easy to use and a small site so individual poems get a lot of attention.
Bad points - There is a Beginners and an Experienced section - I'm not keen on the separation. The criticism can be tough.

Occasionally I go on Poetry Circle but that's an American poetry site and largely beyond my ken.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 15:45

An open-air urinal? What would that be like then and why would you need a dick to use it? See how my anal side is coming out?

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 15:39

i thought i'd try and ease myself into the minimalist niche that steve black has vacated for the moment and i'm just getting laughed at.there's a serious dearth of in-depth criticism on wol.

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Rachel Bond

Thu 16th Feb 2012 15:31

hahaa !!

me too ;)

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

Laura Taylor

Thu 16th Feb 2012 14:48

Hahaa!!!

Comment is about Remembrance of Things Pissed (blog)

steve mellor

Thu 16th Feb 2012 14:34

Dave - I'll have you know that I'm a regular whistler, so get over them thar hills and walk round my place

'Move with the good-timers in the dark'?

Comment is about Kaleidoscope (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Thu 16th Feb 2012 14:33

Lynn, You'd think they would come up with a better system than throwing him in a pond and seeing if he floated or sunk; something like, say, a jury system. Hang on a minute - wasn't he found not guilty by a jury?
Of course, for the conspiracy theory to stand up they would all have had to have been bent.
Not a very glamorous theory but maybe he was innocent?

Comment is about Rough Justice (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Nigel Astell

Thu 16th Feb 2012 14:21

I would really

Like to know

How each line

From different thoughts

Tumbling to spin

Then when read

Just join together.

Comment is about February 2012 Stockport WoL Collage Poem (blog)

Original item by J F Keane

Ray Miller

Thu 16th Feb 2012 14:16

I like the last 2 lines, I think I might have a T-shirt printed.
I was less taken with "life's pressure cooker open door" which sounds like John Motson mixing his metaphors.
I liked the squeezing through the envelope, though I don't quite get the point of that either - nice image, though.

Comment is about GIVE IT BACK (blog)

Original item by Mike Hilton

Thu 16th Feb 2012 13:37

No doubt we all have wished at some time or another "If only I'd known then what I know now I could have done some damage". But you show thw flip-side, MC, the curse of an old head on young shoulders, missing all those glorious mistakes we made when younger.

Comment is about OLD BEFORE HIS TIME (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Rachel Bond

Thu 16th Feb 2012 12:45

3 grand i n one year not bad.
'i lost a lot of blood that day.'

Comment is about (blog)

Adele Ward

Thu 16th Feb 2012 12:18

When I was a young teenage girl first wanting to go to poetry events it was really disappointing to find they were mainly in pubs so I couldn't go. There are all sorts of reasons why a number of people don't go to open mics if they're in pubs. As poetry has become more open to more people, the venues chosen have also become more varied.

No venues are perfect. I'm trying to support libraries by holding my events in Swiss Cottage Library. It's a lovely venue, but it can't stay open late into the evening. It closes at 8pm. Of course there are plenty of people who like this, because it lets them travel into London from quite a distance, and then get the train back again. I do get a good crowd.

Some people like the times because I find it's best to have events on a Friday or Saturday, and they like to come to the poetry then carry on for an evening out with friends.

But I think coffee bars must be great places to hold open mics. We do need to think of alternative venues.And, much as I know there are people who are attached to the idea of pubs, it was because of events being held in pubs that I was put off going in my early years. There are reasons other than age and being shy to walk into a pub on your own that could put potential audience off pubs as a venue.

Comment is about Nearly no More Poetry; or, who'd be a poetry organiser? (article)

Donna Scott

Thu 16th Feb 2012 11:20

Hello Ann - I'd love to find out more about the Witchcraft Museum book you are appearing in - I'm involved in the curation of an exhibition in Northampton Museum commemorating the 400 year anniversary of our witchcraft trials in which 5 people were hanged, and will be arranging some spoken word events in the town on and around the date of execution.

I last went to Boscastle in 2009 - just after I got my bardship. Fascinating place,isn't it?

Comment is about Ann Foxglove (poet profile)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Sonia Jarema

Thu 16th Feb 2012 11:16

Thank you for your comments and such a lovely welcome to the site.
Best wishes
Sonia

Comment is about Sonia Jarema (poet profile)

Original item by Sonia Jarema

Donna Scott

Thu 16th Feb 2012 11:15

Hello Ann! Lovely to be here :)

Comment is about Donna Scott (poet profile)

Original item by Donna Scott

Ann Foxglove

Thu 16th Feb 2012 10:59

Hi Donna - a warm welcome to WOL. Your CV sounds really interesting - glad you've posted a poem already! :)

Comment is about Donna Scott (poet profile)

Original item by Donna Scott

◄ Prev123 … 197 … 394 … 591 … 788 … 985 … 10351036103710381039 … 1182 … 1379 … 1576 … 1773 … 196719681969Next ►