andy n

Tue 28th Jun 2011 08:15

Top stuff, Rach..

Not 100% sure about 'For this is how it is
And how it always was' as it could be slowing down the action in the build up to the piece.

However, the last stanza is a corker and it's a cracking piece either way.

Keep em coming (thought you had stopped writing for a bit but i knew they would start flowing naturally) x

Comment is about kiss me with your mouth (blog)

andy n

Tue 28th Jun 2011 08:13

Really enjoyed this Charlotte, but i'm in the same boat as Antony here with the 'Red like Denial' bit as it is perhaps a little over-done... However, there is some really good stuff in this for example 'From sunset to the first shards of sunlight' because of shards.

i would like to know more about the main character however - whether this would be a longer piece or a series of pieces, i'm not sure but i would like to know more..

Keep em coming. A x

Comment is about -as yet untitled- (blog)

Original item by Charlotte Henson

Ann Foxglove

Tue 28th Jun 2011 06:35

Great! It sounds even more surreal a la spell check! "All misty were the bigraphers" is rather charming. Sounds like they were writing about Lady Di or something! (Gotta go - my tea's grilling!)

Comment is about If Lewis Carroll Used Spellcheck (blog)

Ann Foxglove

Tue 28th Jun 2011 06:31

Make sure they ain't piranas then John! I thought you were going to offer to take the place of the fish for the ladies' foot thing! All that nibblin'! :)

Comment is about Penicure (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

John Embley

Mon 27th Jun 2011 23:56

Christ - it makes you wonder what's happened in the world -- everybody should rage against this death of empathy, and responsibility for the care of those who gave us what we have, and above all, the horrible lack of well-deserved respect -- something missing from society in general.
PS - I'm only a year or so younger than Jenny, and I was slammed in a 'geriatric' ward after an illness a few years ago -- I know what she must be feeling.
Correction -- I can sense a little of what Jenny must be feeling -- I think I am much more fortunate than she is, thank God.
And you're right, Dave -- bloody Tories never listen unless you're talking their language -- money, savings thereof, for the benefit of their supporters.

Comment is about Neglect in the community (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

winston plowes

Mon 27th Jun 2011 22:23

Hi Charlotte, great to see you on WOL. Have a look round and you will find lots of poets you have performed with already. Win x

Comment is about Charlotte Henson (poet profile)

Original item by Charlotte Henson

Greg Freeman

Mon 27th Jun 2011 21:46

It can be a nightmare world. My mother is happy in her care home, and receives pretty good care, thank goodness. At a price, of course. I hear what you're saying, Dave, but I don't think any political party has come up with an answer to all this.

Comment is about Neglect in the community (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Greg Freeman

Mon 27th Jun 2011 21:38

I'm guessing the numbers refer to one fewer Facebook friend. Hope the person concerned is not a fellow WOL poet? (Quickly checks his Facebook profile. Phew ...) In that case, sounds like you're well rid, Alison!

Comment is about Unfriend (blog)

Original item by Alison Smiles

John Embley

Mon 27th Jun 2011 21:37

'Four hundred and seventy two', I guess, is the number of 'friends' recorded on some social networking site, like Facebook.
It's hard to decide to 'dump' someone as a 'friend', though, even in this artificial environment, isn't it?
Nicely put sentiments, Alison.
I'd guess that '472' is a much larger number of 'friends' than you have recorded on your profile, because 'friend' has a much deeper meaning for you.

Comment is about Unfriend (blog)

Original item by Alison Smiles

winston plowes

Mon 27th Jun 2011 21:12

Not sure I understand the numbers here? You have managed to get accross a feeling of casting off and misplaced frendship though. Win x

Comment is about Unfriend (blog)

Original item by Alison Smiles

winston plowes

Mon 27th Jun 2011 21:07

Hi Alison

Thanks for your comment on Mish-mash. It was indeed a thin gap. From my view I could see the dog in this gap like a silouette. Horible :-(

I will try and write something more cheery next time! Win x

Comment is about Alison Smiles (poet profile)

Original item by Alison Smiles

Isobel

Mon 27th Jun 2011 21:04

I like the biblical imagery and the deceptive simplicity of the ending.

Comment is about kiss me with your mouth (blog)

Isobel

Mon 27th Jun 2011 21:01

Yes - the path of love isn't paved with gold. Instead, as your poem suggests, infidelity, disappointment and boredom seem to be more common. I think it is better to approach any relationship with an expectation of nothing - doing fond is probably less likely to lead to let down. The end of your poem seems to suggest hope though - weary hope - but hope nonetheless. You are maybe less cynical than me.

Comment is about kiss me with your mouth (blog)

Isobel

Mon 27th Jun 2011 20:52

Lovely sexy poem - but what a frustrating end to the evening! I like the way you mould the bodies to the beat of the drums Cynthia. I'm liking the idea of that third limb, also... Dancing can be incredibly erotic and you capture that, appealing to all the senses.

I'm hoping this is a foot poem - the tag is 'feet' if so... x

Comment is about The Club Was Caribbean (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Greg Freeman

Mon 27th Jun 2011 20:07

Ian, I'm absolutely certain that the general contest is open to all, but the Leeds prize is only for those with an LS postcode ... now I've just checked by clicking on the link in the story, and that is the case. Hope you enter, and good luck if you do! Greg

Comment is about Lippfest poetry contest (article)

Alison Smiles

Mon 27th Jun 2011 20:03

Loved this. That last line is like being stabbed.

Comment is about White Wedding (blog)

Original item by penny ford

Pete Slater

Mon 27th Jun 2011 18:51

Thanks for the welcome message Ann.
As for the head ... afraid that's only one of them. Hope it doesn't heal soon though.

Comment is about Ann Foxglove (poet profile)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Ann Foxglove

Mon 27th Jun 2011 18:45

I like your sample poems - welcome to WOL.

Comment is about Gary Carr (poet profile)

Original item by Gary Carr

Ann Foxglove

Mon 27th Jun 2011 18:43

Welcome to WOL. I like your poem "Jimmy's Cliff". I hope you enjoy the site.

Comment is about Anthony C Murphy (poet profile)

Original item by Anthony C Murphy

Ann Foxglove

Mon 27th Jun 2011 18:37

Lovely Cynthia. xx

Comment is about The Club Was Caribbean (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

winston plowes

Mon 27th Jun 2011 18:08

Hi Ann, re mish-mash, you are always more than welcome to stick your nose in whenever. Yes it should be wound (2 meanings here for the price of one as in pt of wind and an injury) Thx ;-) )

Comment is about Ann Foxglove (poet profile)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Pete Slater

Mon 27th Jun 2011 17:39

Had my first open mic experience at the Ring o' Bells last night.
Nice folk, nice atmosphere, good feedback. Thoroughly enjoyed it. "I'LL BE BACK!!"

Comment is about Write Out Loud at Middleton on Sunday (article)

Ann Foxglove

Mon 27th Jun 2011 16:54

Ok, I sound like a looksfaschist! It's just, if I were a gal, well, they ain't very sexy are they? But jolly nice though! Mumford & Sons are very very nice. ;)

Comment is about glastonbury musings (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Ann Foxglove

Mon 27th Jun 2011 16:39

Sounds great! At the risk of sounding like a grovelling keanie - who do I make the cheque out to? Is it Arvon or WOL? I'd guess Arvon.

Comment is about Like to write poetry at Ted Hughes' house? - last chance for a place (article)

Antony Owen

Mon 27th Jun 2011 16:27

On a positive note I could see you striving to translate the images into the context of a poem. At times it works such as light immluminating the stems and the image of veins.
Where it doesn't work are lines like 'red like denial' and 'dancing like she had nothing left' for me these don't conjure up a thought process as they are full stop images and not provocative. Images like field of blood are often used and obvious and I can see you are experimental and gutsy in creating images. As a draft there is lots of positives and I myself spent a lot of time drafting my collection of war poems but keep distilling the images and remamber that drafts offer more possibilities.

Good Luck.

Comment is about -as yet untitled- (blog)

Original item by Charlotte Henson

Jeff Dawson

Mon 27th Jun 2011 16:06

Hi Charlotte thanx for comment, well spotted error, I've corrected it! It's usually me going on about those spelling errors, it drives me mad! I think I swapped lines round that much! Anyway, good to hear that you thought iut was appropriate to raise and have a look at yourself. Hope to see you soon, maybe guitar n verse next week. not read your book yet but looking forward to it! Jeff x

Comment is about Charlotte Henson (poet profile)

Original item by Charlotte Henson

Terry White

Mon 27th Jun 2011 15:07

My Summer schedule is off the wall right now, I have school almost every waking minute that I'm not at work. I'll post all my new stuff when the semester ends.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

winston plowes

Mon 27th Jun 2011 14:57

Hope you escaped the mud and are now happily recovering from the fest! Win x

Comment is about Michael Scott (poet profile)

Original item by Michael Scott

Julian (Admin)

Mon 27th Jun 2011 14:02

Hey, fantastic Linda. Well done. See how Write Out Loud can get you top gigs. It is ironic because there have been several refernces to such matters recently on Write Out Loud, not least my reportage blog of yesterday.
so, you turnign up to read at Stockport next, Linda. Or Sale tomorrow, Waterside Arts Centre. I know your stuff will go down really well in the open mic.

Comment is about My First Solo Recital (blog)

Original item by Linda Cosgriff

pretty-little-roses

Mon 27th Jun 2011 14:00

Oh to sing the Song of Soloman and to know the joy of true love only to have it tainted by the touch of lust and betrayal, sometime it may not be better to have loved and lost but to never have loved at all. A wonderfully worded piece with delightful and realistic symbologies..one of your best rachel

Comment is about kiss me with your mouth (blog)

jabulani mzinyathi

Mon 27th Jun 2011 13:41

thanks people for all these comments. these are always welcome. a deafening silence is what an artist may not find much pleasure in.[depends!] let us keep sharing ideas. dave yeah i like your input about obscene and absurd. that is what it really is. laura you got it right but am not really a fan of tricky but of peter tosh overshadowed by bob to a large extent!

Comment is about daggers drawn (blog)

Original item by jabulani mzinyathi

Marc Anthony

Mon 27th Jun 2011 13:17

Loved the first poem on here...reflective images of the past for me...Fluent pictures.

Comment is about Lynn Dye (poet profile)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Alan Morrison

Mon 27th Jun 2011 12:48

Mike, I have to say that I don't think that you are sad. Not in utterly real terms. You have a view of yourself as sad, which is different; and you dwell on the sadder aspects of your life. But the fact that you rise waaay above your doldrums with your words and thoughts shows that you can transcend mere sadness. Mating in the Heather is a joyous activity! If only I could flick a switch in your head and turn on the light which reveals who you really are! If you coukd begin to see yourself as others see you then even more magic will happen. But you are who you are and I love you. Thank you for the words above about your Street(s). :-)

Comment is about Wimborne Road (blog)

Julian (Admin)

Mon 27th Jun 2011 09:51

I find this really powerful, Charlotte, as it certainly sounded last night at the Middleton Write Out Loud. Thanks for sharing this.

Comment is about -as yet untitled- (blog)

Original item by Charlotte Henson

Sun 26th Jun 2011 23:31

Thanks for your comments on Piggies, Cynthia.
I'm not owning up to any special interest!

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Sun 26th Jun 2011 23:29

"PERVY!!! PERVY???". That was me trying to be sexy.
I did actually write it on a train - very uncomfortable

Comment is about Isobel (poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Sun 26th Jun 2011 23:28

"PERVY!!! PERVY???". That was me trying to be sexy.
I did actually write it on a train - very uncomfortable.

Comment is about Piggies (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Christopher Dawson

Sun 26th Jun 2011 22:38

Thanks guy, very kind, fortunately not me or mine, I've no direct experience there.

It was actually the girl in the pic, she was in the news this week.

Comment is about Beautiful girls with no hair... (blog)

Original item by Christopher Dawson

Isobel

Sun 26th Jun 2011 22:02

Thanks for your comments on my last two Cate. Not sure enough peeps would understand the last one to perform it.
Re the first one, I had dad in mind when I wrote about the tally. I have vivid recollections of him being delighted every time on of his work colleagues popped it. 'You never guess who's died' being the first thing he'd say as I walked through the door... Poor Harry Pickworth...

Comment is about Cate (poet profile)

Original item by Cate

Cate Greenlees

Sun 26th Jun 2011 21:33

Such a clever fun piece Isobel! A great performance one too!
Cate xx

Comment is about Experimental Podiatry in 9 1/2 Weeks (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Philipos

Sun 26th Jun 2011 20:36

Hi Dave re; The Railway Children, that picture referred to was hanging on a wall of a local hostelry from where I gained my inspiration but glad you like the general theme of the muse. Many thanks for commenting.

Comment is about Dave Bradley (poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Philipos

Sun 26th Jun 2011 20:34

Hi Dave the picture referred to was hanging on a wall of a local hostelry from where I gained my inspiration but glad you like the general theme of the muse. Thanks for commenting.

Comment is about THE RAILWAY CHILDREN. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

andy n

Sun 26th Jun 2011 20:32

love it, Cynthia.. x

Comment is about Let me dance (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

andy n

Sun 26th Jun 2011 20:32

terrible story, julian but well said.. i agree with dave here totally..

Comment is about Neglect in the community (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

andy n

Sun 26th Jun 2011 20:30

well done, Kath.. I agree with Alan too over it.. I am registered with Lulu.. Will defo order it when I start ordering some stuff next from there..

Proud of you x

Comment is about Shameless Plug (blog)

Original item by Kath Hewitt

Dave Bradley

Sun 26th Jun 2011 20:21

Trouble is the Tories won't be reading this and aren't listening

Comment is about Neglect in the community (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Ann Foxglove

Sun 26th Jun 2011 20:08

An unbearable situation. Well said Julian - and good luck Jenny.x

Comment is about Neglect in the community (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Dave Bradley

Sun 26th Jun 2011 19:00

I liked this - it is poignant without being sentimental. Would the photo have been a good accompaniment?

Comment is about THE RAILWAY CHILDREN. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

Dave Bradley

Sun 26th Jun 2011 18:53

(-:

Comment is about Let me dance (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Julian (Admin)

Sun 26th Jun 2011 17:48

You already are.

Comment is about Let me dance (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

◄ Prev 1 2 3 175 350 525 700 875 991 992 993 994 995 1050 1225 1400 1575 1741 1742 1743 Next ►