stefan wilde

Sat 28th Aug 2010 10:31

Good morning 'C'-have you tried catchin em-with a word netter? ta in the meantime-Stef.

Comment is about Fed Up (blog)

Original item by Crackling

Ann Foxglove

Sat 28th Aug 2010 10:27

I guess Greg I am attempting to write in a more reserved way, more minimal, less description, more "show", less "tell"! All due to the writing course really, but it will be interesting to see, if my poems "tone down", whether anyone will like them! Bugger!! ;-)

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Ann Foxglove

Sat 28th Aug 2010 10:18

Interesting to read that you went on an Arvon course. I really enjoyed the one I just went on but it threw me a bit, I know I need to improve by masses and I have an idea of part of what is bad about my stuff, but it is so hard to try and refine your work without losing your poetry voice. Keeping at it is the best idea I guess! I haven't really tried sending off anything to poetry magazines, but there are so many! And of course, the rejection slips will make me question myself even more! Sometimes it just seems the easiest option to just write tons and bung it all on WOL (my strategy so far!)but that won't maybe get me anywhere in the long term. HELP!! xx PS Just saw your comment on my Field Boundaries poem. Thanks! You have spotted the change in tone. This is all due to the Arvon experience. Even the place is Totleigh Barton. xx

Comment is about Greg Freeman (Poet profile)

Joshua Van-Cook

Sat 28th Aug 2010 10:16

Thanks for your comments on 'Invictus' Cynthia. As for your question I can see what you mean but the rhyme scheme of the second and third stanzas was what I was trying to follow through with. The additional assonant line in the first stanza was simply coincidental.

- Josh

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (Poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Joshua Van-Cook

Sat 28th Aug 2010 10:10

Thanks, I wrote it at night where I'm generally at a creative high but my spelling suffers. I'll take into account your advice about the first couple of lines. But it generally takes me a while to think of alternatives.

Comment is about Andy N (Poet profile)

Original item by Andy N

Greg Freeman

Sat 28th Aug 2010 10:07

This poem is a departure for you, Ann, I think; a more sombre tone than we're used to. But I like the process of observation and carving words out of the landscape ... "beneath the ashes and the oak" and the sense of, is this all there is?
"Betrothal, birth, baptism, gentle death." And I know you could easily conjure up a more uplifting, folk-ballad type of poem from the same sentiments, too.

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Isobel

Sat 28th Aug 2010 09:52

Oy you cheeky monkey - where's me inverted commas?

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Isobel

Sat 28th Aug 2010 09:44

Thanks for that Winston - I have a school boy sense of humour which always gets the better of me. Thinking harder about it, I get it - in fact I like it a lot.

Comment is about How a poem happens (blog)

Original item by Alvin Guinessberg

Ann Foxglove

Sat 28th Aug 2010 09:33

I used to work at Kew Bridge Steam Museum. Well worth a visit, esp if the engines are in steam (some weekends, I should think they will be in steam this weekend as it's bank holiday). It used to be a water pumping station, and the engines are massive things, many built in Cornwall. They have lots of other old machines that they've rescued from other pumping stations as they closed down. The huge standpipe tower is unmissable! You can see it for miles! (So that's your weekend sorted then!) xx

Comment is about David Cooke (Poet profile)

Original item by David Cooke

David Cooke

Sat 28th Aug 2010 08:54

Hi Ann glad you liked the old Gasometer. I've wanted to write something about it for Ages. Funny you should mention ones near Kew. My son has just moved to the Richmond, so I've started exploring that area.

Comment is about Ann Foxglove (Poet profile)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Greg Freeman

Fri 27th Aug 2010 23:23

Hallo Ann. Well done for plucking up the courage to talk to Helen Dunmore; does she live in St Ives? I tend to profess an anti-celebrity scorn which probably just masks shyness. I didn't talk to Carol Ann Duffy about poetry at all, just football, a bit. After the reading in the evening my walking compadres queued up to have their books signed, and mentioned that we had been in the pub that afternoon. I just took their pictures to put on my Facebook page - but at the same time talked to a very nice lady who runs the Much Wenlock poetry festival which had taken place just up the road a few weeks before.

Comment is about Ann Foxglove (Poet profile)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

stefan wilde

Fri 27th Aug 2010 23:16

hey Lynn...watch out for jumpin bones Jonesy-dinner with him,means fish n grips! and maybe a can of coke-if yer play yer cards right! made me chuckle in a disgusting sort of way-lol! keep em coming-as the bishop...no never mind..catch you on the morrow dearie-bazzin regards-Stefasadoorpost-xx(B-xx)

Comment is about Candyfloss (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Lynn Dye

Fri 27th Aug 2010 22:34

Thank you Larisa, I'm glad you like it. I am giving the last stanza some thought, actually. Love, Lynn xx

Comment is about Candyfloss (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Banksy

Fri 27th Aug 2010 21:47

Thanks Lynn(guardian angel poem)xx

Comment is about Lynn Dye (Poet profile)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Banksy

Fri 27th Aug 2010 21:45

Thanks Cyn(guardian angel poem) xx
BTW - Midnight Gardens - I think I am just a bit thick sometimes. I'm not dyslexic or anything, but sometimes I read some of "The Greats" poems also & for the life of me, they may as well be written in Chinese. Oh well. xx

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (Poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 21:44

This was a real walk. I do feel sometimes that you can feel the ghosts in the countryside. It's like when you enter a really old church, even if you aren't religious, there's this feeling. And it sets you into the landscape. We all have a place.

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 21:36

Wot's BTW? Den! xx

Comment is about PMT (blog)

Original item by Alison Smiles

Banksy

Fri 27th Aug 2010 21:32

inexplicable things do happen in life from time to time. xx

Comment is about I never told you this (blog)

Original item by Banksy

Banksy

Fri 27th Aug 2010 21:30

nearly everything - and BTW - who rattled your cage ?? :)

Comment is about PMT (blog)

Original item by Alison Smiles

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 20:18

I HONESTLY don't know what you mean. Poor little innocent me! But, 'tis true! xx

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Paul F Blackburn

Fri 27th Aug 2010 20:12

Thanks for your comment on Untitled - you bastard

Sorry to have missed you on your recent visit to Wigan

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Paul F Blackburn

Fri 27th Aug 2010 20:11

Thanks for your comment on Untitled - you bastard

Comment is about Isobel (Poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Fri 27th Aug 2010 20:07

This poem is so beautiful! I love it so much. You sound like a real woman.
Do you remember " Gone With the Wind"?
More than that: may be it's better to say: I would better become a dancer if you hear my answer. But! Of course tomorrow. For you, I am sure, it won't be a sorrow.
With love and warmest wishes, Larisa

Comment is about Candyfloss (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Isobel

Fri 27th Aug 2010 19:47

An interesting explanation Dermot. Also interesting to see that the self centred, egotistical aristocrats and monarchs should be personified as a woman. Maybe that has something to do with Elizabeth II - that's the only reason I could come up with...

Comment is about Spectating (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Gus Jonsson

Fri 27th Aug 2010 19:44

Alright then... what about Buzzar's flaps...Mind boggles..

Gusxx

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Fri 27th Aug 2010 19:35

Hi, Stefan, my dear mentalman. Hi, Lynn!
You are the most kind woman. Thank you so much for your nice comments.
With love and hugs, Larisa
Larisa

Comment is about My Foolish Heart (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:54

No Gus - a shaggy old buzzard!! xx (Field Boundaries)

Comment is about Gus Jonsson (Poet profile)

Original item by Gus Jonsson

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:53

No Gus - a shaggy old buzzard!! xx

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Gus Jonsson

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:44

a shaggy tree.... ?? now there's something worth barking up!

Gus xx

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

David Cooke

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:34

Hi Greg, This one is really impressive & very enjoyable: real lived experience, substantial, sustained, and technically adroit. I think you should put it in your showcase samples. Your stuff is getting better and better.

Comment is about Greg Freeman (Poet profile)

Paul (Admin)

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:29

thanks for your comment on Untitled - you bastard. How did you know it was about you really ;)

Comment is about Gus Jonsson (Poet profile)

Original item by Gus Jonsson

Paul (Admin)

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:15

Thanks for your comment on "Untitled - you bastard".

Comment is about Lynn Dye (Poet profile)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Paul (Admin)

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:15

Thanks for your comment on "Untitled - you bastard".

Comment is about Rodney Wood (Poet profile)

Original item by Rodney Wood

Paul (Admin)

Fri 27th Aug 2010 18:13

Thanks for your comment on "Untitled - you bastard".

Comment is about Alison Smiles (Poet profile)

Original item by Alison Smiles

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:52

No white feathers involved, but I remember when my mum was in hospital, unconcious and obviously not going to make it, I sat all afternoon holding her hand. Suddenly I felt as if my hand was almost being forced away from hers, though there was no actual movement. I felt so strongly that she did not want me holding her hand any more. I let go and she died a few minutes later. She really did want me to let her go, don't know how she comunicated but she surely did. She was a lovely mum!

Comment is about I never told you this (blog)

Original item by Banksy

Banksy

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:31

yes - 100% true; totally nuts she was & slashing your wrists + 72 paracetamol won't do you any good at all. Strangely enough, I'd only been reading about guardian angels & the white feather thing the day before [what a load of guff] - but when I saw that big white feather appear from nowhere & swirling around her on the floor (on a hospital ward no less) - it certainly struck a chord. I dont know where she is now (I did catch sight of her in Windermere a few yrs later) - doubtless making someone else's life a misery, but hopefully still going strong. B

Comment is about I never told you this (blog)

Original item by Banksy

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:29

Well, I'm dead jealous cos I don't know how to get smiley faces (or grumpy faces) on my blogs! How'd'you do it Crackling? And let's hope it's a smiley one next time!

Comment is about Fed Up (blog)

Original item by Crackling

Ann Foxglove

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:27

I seem to remember that this advice is Banksy's answer to everything!

Comment is about PMT (blog)

Original item by Alison Smiles

Lynn Dye

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:20

This is so sad and beautiful, Larisa, it flows really well, just love it. xx

Comment is about My Foolish Heart (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Banksy

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:18

a good shag'll see you right ;)

Comment is about PMT (blog)

Original item by Alison Smiles

Lynn Dye

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:15

Great poem, Banksy, intriguing!

Comment is about I never told you this (blog)

Original item by Banksy

Lynn Dye

Fri 27th Aug 2010 17:13

Good poem, Thomas, I enjoyed this.

Comment is about Broken-down Place (blog)

Original item by Tom

Crackling

Fri 27th Aug 2010 16:49

How family relationships should be. Mines extended. It resounds.

Comment is about Invictus (blog)

Original item by Joshua Van-Cook

Crackling

Fri 27th Aug 2010 16:45

The last line is a perfect line.

Comment is about Made Me Feel (Like Marilyn Monroe). (blog)

Crackling

Fri 27th Aug 2010 16:35

Beautiful soft imagery. I am jealous.

Comment is about field boundaries (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Olga Gerke

Fri 27th Aug 2010 13:15

X. Will correct the latest poem. Thanx!!! (BTW it's Helena's gallery launch in Chorlton on 10th)

Comment is about Andy N (Poet profile)

Original item by Andy N

David Cooke

Fri 27th Aug 2010 13:13

Hi Rachel I'm Really flattered that you chose 'My Chair' as poem of the month. Thanks!

Comment is about Rachel McGladdery (Poet profile)

Original item by Rachel McGladdery

Heather

Fri 27th Aug 2010 12:13

That's okay, I understand and I wouldn't want anyone missing out on a read of your poem just because it looks like you've got a lot of feedback :) And that makes a lot of sense, it does feel more in character ^^

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (Poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

ray miller

Fri 27th Aug 2010 11:26

Thanks for your kind comments, Ann, Dave and Heather.

Comment is about Concrete Thinking (blog)

Paul F Blackburn

Fri 27th Aug 2010 10:57

Thanks for your comment on "Untitled - you bastard". I should have said that this poem is a homage to, and a pastiche of, one by Dermot Glennon called "Untitled" which is far more disturbing than my poor effort and could be regarded as his 'signature poem'. So it's just a bit of fun that anyone who has seen Dermot perform will understand and hopefully have a laugh. I performed it last night and Dermot got it right away but it took the rest of the group about a third of the poem before it dawned on them what it was about and it did cause some merriment.

Comment is about Ann Foxglove (Poet profile)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 152 304 456 608 760 912 991 992 993 994 995 1064 1216 1368 1509 1510 1511 Next -->