Rachel Bond

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 23:51

i thought this a very well considered piece of writing.
rape jokes yep paedophilia very very funny, very fucking suave mr frankie boyle, making a living telling his little girl gets raped gags.
im glad you wrote this.

my advice to women is Do not Drink if you cannot control your drinking.
raping drunk 'bitches' is a passtime sport these days. and isnt it hilarious?

well put x

Comment is about New poem: Joke Rape World (blog)

Original item by Captain of the Rant

Rachel Bond

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 23:44

great poem x

Comment is about No. 4 (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Dave Kujawski

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 23:30

I'll be honest I found this because I was googling rape jokes to get a laugh for myself, and along the way I was sifting through page after page of anti rape joke posts, things like and Ernest letter to men which felt sexist towards men and various post with a large amount of caps(which thanks to wow when ever I see caps I instinctivley*sp* assume there is no real seriousnees) and continue fuileing through looking for my jokes, then I come across a poem out of all the forms of art Poetry is the only one I really care about...and well by the time I finshed I felt like a giant ass and just wanted to cry.I'm a guy who enjoys almost every brand of humor and values his own way of thinking over those of other, and Like I said every anti rape joke post I came across meant nothing to me until this Poem. I'm sorry I really am that I've been so closed minded on this and I will do what I can to make up for it I swear, But the good news is that For every mind out there you can find a way to reach them for me it was this poem, and I am truley thankfull to you for writing it, My eyes are open and I see that although some find this brand of jokeing humorless if even one person is brought pain by it then it shouldn't be allowed. Sotty for the wall Oh text.

Comment is about New poem: Joke Rape World (blog)

Original item by Captain of the Rant

Helen Thomas

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 23:17

Ha ha! That's an excellent idea Anthony. Funnily enough, Owen who did the music, does a range of fake revolting tins and foods that he used to mock up for comic effect and sell. We were talking about doing spoof cookery vids! I think you're right, it could be very funny especially if I can perfect a Delia voice!

I think adding audio to poems on here works well - I listened to your poem 'bay 3' as well. I don't really like reading stuff on screen (don't own a tablet and PC screen never seems to lend itself to reading poetry). I find the audio really adds to the enjoyment of reading the poem - especially with the sound effects bringing extra atmosphere - it sort of cements the words home, if that makes sense.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 22:57

Hi again Helen,

And thanks for stopping by "genesis."

The YouTube idea sounds great. I think, if you don't mind me suggesting, that you could do a convincing and effective short movie for this - on a virtually-zero budget.

If it was done as a straight monologue to camera, almost like a cookery programme with a few props. Say farmhouse-type kitchen, wooden table, mixing bowls, various jars of herbs/spices etc, pestle and mortar, cookery books and the between-verse glass of wine routine, you could have something really original and entertaining.

Just a thought, but I'd like to see it!

Regards,
A.E.

p.s. I followed the link on your blog - well impressive!

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 22:44

It was only one of those cheap, paper flags that you stick on a sandcastle. This is more like the proverbial "towel on the sun-lounger." Shrew indeed!

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about No. 4 (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Solar Winds

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 22:36

Ta Isobel. I also like to think about what makes someone attractive to someone else...it can be the subtlest of things... and not always the most obvious things. Thank goodness! :)

Comment is about A Hairy Womans Fortunate Experience (blog)

Original item by Solar

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 22:30

Lovely poem Dorinda,

reminds me in a way
of the time I used to have to take
my Dad,s best shoes to the pawnbroker's
in order to get money for food

in the meantime,Dad had to make do
with wearing his turned down wellies!

best regards
Patricia and Stefan.

Comment is about The Woman in the Corner Shop (blog)

Original item by Dorinda MacDowell

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 22:10

Another telling observation on the human
condition, of a quality that we can expect from
this contributor.

Comment is about SHAMBLES (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 22:08

A delightful trip down the memory lane that saw
the sort of corner shop run by BB.

Comment is about The Woman in the Corner Shop (blog)

Original item by Dorinda MacDowell

DG

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 21:18

Thanks Marianne.

Francine, all this means various different things but it's basically about the way we treat each other, why we do, and why we carry on when times change and we could stop it but we don't because we get into routines.

Comment is about In consequence of past oblivion (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 21:06

So, Geoffrey Hill is "lacking in moral courage." Let him write his "difficult" poetry, I'm sure it will encourage everyone to flock to his scintillating ouevre.

Comment is about Oxford professor Hill takes Carol Ann Duffy to task (article)

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:44

And I'm still laughing at Ray being chuffed to bits...

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:42

I love it! How original! Hairy serendipity...

And I also think there is a lot of truth in people being attracted to others who aren't afraid to stand up and be different. Not that I'm about to start growing my own mind... people might think I'm french - or german...

Comment is about A Hairy Womans Fortunate Experience (blog)

Original item by Solar

ray miller

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:31

Thanks all.
I remember that poem, Greg, it were good. She's probably working on hers. Took nearly 20 years for anything on Stephen Lawrence.

Isobel. Nah, she'll be watching the football.You call this uplifting poetry!?

Anthony. Even I can't stand to listen to me.I like Carol Ann Duffy and she's never said anything bad about me. So, though I can't recall all of the poem in question I'm sure I enjoyed it. I do like Prayer.

I believe you, Fletch, I believe you.

Comment is about Fame (blog)

ray miller

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:18

Thanks, Greg. Not one of my best!

Comment is about Suture (blog)

Manda Lee

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:11

Another happy one mate. Love the imagery, it gives real strength to the feelings. Good one. Any new stuff on the horizon?

Comment is about Carry me away (blog)

Original item by Na'im

Harry O'Neill

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 19:28

I agree with Helen about the design. The rhyming down the line and absence of punctuation compels a slow, thoughtful reading. (tried it along the line and it `goes` more quickly)

I`m not a convinced fan of either, but this one very definitely `works`.

Lovely written (and recited) poem.

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Helen Thomas

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:59

A very intelligently designed poem! I agree with Francine re. the near rhymes which give the poem a subtle rhythm evocative of the ebb and flow of all that time it's taken for us to get here. Also enjoyed the audio - especially the intriguing effects at the beginning.

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Helen Thomas

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:50

Hi Anthony. Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed the audio. I was especially pleased to see that it raised a smile - that's always good! It's funny but I've been toying with the idea of sticking it on youtube, just with a picture not a video, although I think the word 'poetry' still puts a lot of people off listening to certain things. I'm very pleased that it raised a smile whilst being tucked away on here anyway!

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:46

You don't have her phone number, I suppose?

Comment is about A Hairy Womans Fortunate Experience (blog)

Original item by Solar

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:43

Hi Helen,

I'm so glad I stopped by to listen to your audio track. It kept me enthralled and smiling all the way through. It's incredibly well conceived, written, read and put together. You should be justifiably proud!

Shame it's hidden away here, more people should hear it . . .

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

ray miller

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:44

This poem reads so oddly that
budding POET LAURA T
could yet be POET LAUREATE
give or take an extra E.

This isn't the first time I've been in someone else's poem, actually, but the other one was by a Welsh person so it doesn't really count. Then, of course, there's Kate Moss's love poems, but they're still subject to an injunction. Poor girl never knows when to finish a line.

Anyway, I'm deeply offended by this notion that I have poetry rules and suchlike. Some things work better than others is all.But I'm not one to carp. Or to be koi, for that matter.

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:35

I don't think there is any better example of serendipity than life itself - the monumental accident and coincidences that lead us to be...

I've actually started writing my entry for this comp and it was very much tied up to this idea - though no-one will believe me now - cos you've just landed on the moon and planted the flag...

I love your poetry and I love your mind - is that a form of narcissism?

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Tony Hilton

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:32

Good debut (not that I'm biased)!!

Comment is about Grace at Middleton WOL January 2012 (photo)

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:28

Hi Graham,

I enjoyed the poem - the very essence and epitome of smugness!

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Rivalry (blog)

Original item by Graham Clifford

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:10

Hi Laura,

I'll bet the phrase "desire shallow eminence from fish!" has never been uttered, written or, come to think of it, imagined! You are unique!

Ray should be chuffed to bits! (No, I don't mean run over by a train!)

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:06

Hi Ray,

Admire the way you've built this around the Duffy reference. It reads very well, but again I'd prefer to hear your dulcet tones! Are you going to continue to deprive us of that special treat?

Incidentally, do you feel the referenced work is a "desert island" or "dusty bin" poem?

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Fame (blog)

Dave Bradley

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:05

Nice one, John - the other comments have said it all

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Dave Bradley

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:02

Crafted by an intelligent and creative soul. Just like the universe.

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:57

Hi Dave,

My, someone's keen! A neat example of how contemporary language can change the flavour of something so ancient and familiar. Simplicity becomes management-speak.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Serendipity (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Ian gant

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:53

Good Piece, Accurate well structured and though quite sweet without any decent into the mawkish and trite.

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:51

Immaculately conceived - and executed; with your usual deft brushstrokes.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Laura Taylor

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:43

*chortle* cheers earses

Steve - you're terrible, Muriel :D

Isobel - you know, I find it surprisingly easy to break Ray's rules - I just write, and hey presto! ;D

Ray is conspicuous by his absence. Some people are just SO ungrateful!

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

andrew barnes

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:18

Very Sad news- Rest in Peace Geoff. I couldn't claim to be a close friend but I met Geoff at his poetry conventions and he published some of my stuff in Purple Patch when many others wouldn't- for which I remain very grateful.

Thinking of his family and friends at this incredibly difficult time.

Andrew Barnes

Comment is about Death of Geoff Stevens, editor of Purple Patch (article)

steve mellor

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:11

Laura - if I could offer a little advice :-)) - shouldn't the last word on the final line be 'cod' and not 'God', thereby linking the line above's 'fish'

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Kenneth Eaton-Dykes

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:05

There's not many that can.

Comment is about Mike Hilton (Poet profile)

Original item by Mike Hilton

dorinda macdowell

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:49

Simply wonderful! - KEEP WRITING!

Dorinda MacDowell

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:18

Well, it looks like you've been granted your wish. Now I wonder if Carol Ann Duffy might be reading this...

I like the fun element of this. So far Serendipity seems to be producing uplifting poetry. I don't suppose good things can come out of death - unless the main character is a debt collector or a tax collector or a traffic warden, or a dog fouler or a...

Comment is about Fame (blog)

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:13

This had me very foxed cos I read it before I read Rays - and I thought you wuz taking the mick...

Now I've read the pair and it's given me a good chuckle - so thank you for that. I like the way your poem breaks all Ray's rules Laura - it's not easy doing that!

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Mike Hilton

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 13:35

Very clever Laura, you little tinker!- well done Mike

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Laura Taylor

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 13:27

Tee hee - be careful what you ask for Ray!

Comment is about Fame (blog)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 13:11

Poor Svetlana - she must be living in hope!
Which can probably be said for the numbnuts
who sent me an email purporting to come from
Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs...as if ANYONE would reply to that!

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 12:49

JC for Professor of Poetry at Oxford!!
As for writers of "difficult" stuff...
"It has to be a bitter pill
To be lectured so by Geoffrey Hill
Sounding forth in righteous huff he
Makes me sympathise with Ms Duffy!"
(should I transfer this to the "clerihew" discussion?!)

Comment is about Oxford professor Hill takes Carol Ann Duffy to task (article)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 12:37

Apropos a post elsewhere on this site about
political poetry - here is the reality of its
place in a repressive, running-scared regime
that presumes to take a place in the civilised
world. When its politically employed are able
to lead rather than dictate and terrorise, that
place may be earned. In the meantime, the human voice will continue to speak out. And
that is how it should be - and how it must be.
One day, perhaps, the Chinese authorities may
mature enough to realise that and be worthy of
the trust and respect of their people.

Comment is about Chinese dissident faces jail for poem on Skype (article)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 12:24

The point about technique brought forward by
Martin Nelson encourages me to say that the most interesting technique is of little use unless the subject matter is of interest to the
viewer, reader or listener.
The subject matter must connect to the sensibilities. Certainly, technique can enhance its subject and the audience view
accordingly but it cannot retain the interest
on its own. I am a great film fan, going back
fifty years, with recollections of watching
film technique that I was unaware of at the
time, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway if
the subject hadn't been of interest.
With poetry - what is written is vital. How it
is written can enhance or detract, according
to the skill or otherwise, of the writer.
Technique is a tool of the trade, there to
embellish and assist an intended message.
But if what you have to say is of little interest or consequence, then what does it
achieve? Enhanced boredom?

Comment is about The Write Out Loud interview: Fiona Sampson (article)

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:43

Thanks for your comments on The Winter Gardens, Ray. Still a work in progress, so cheers for the tips.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:42

Thanks for your comments on The Winter Gardens, Isobel. It's easy to poke fun at the blokes in cloth caps, but I think we've lost something along the way, too.

Comment is about Isobel (Poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:41

Thanks for your comments on The Winter Gardens, Harry. It's easy to make fun of the blokes in cloth caps, but I think we've lost something along the way, too.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Mike Hilton

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:26

There you go again Ken blowing your own trumpet.
I bet you can't play the flight of the Bubble Bee.( with no hands!)

Mike

Comment is about Ken Eaton-Dykes (Poet profile)

Original item by Ken Eaton-Dykes

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 145 290 435 448 449 450 451 452 580 725 870 1015 1160 1305 1439 1440 1441 Next -->