Isobel

Wed 28th Aug 2013 00:20

No piece of 'art' has ever upset me as much as this Ged. It was like it was ok to experiment with these women because they were prostitutes - the way they'd lined them up had echoes of the Holocaust. You are probably right about the artist seeking notoriety - but what are you supposed to do when something like that becomes accepted art - sit back and accept it?

Comment is about True life's an art (blog)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ Liverpool Poet

Ged Thompson

Wed 28th Aug 2013 00:15

Thanks Harry that mean a lot, Isobel when exploiting people becomes art. It is the art of wickedness that triumphs over the art common decency.

Its cheap sensationalism, they count on reactions like your own to raise the artists profile, its the emperors new clothes scenario though. Underneath all the hype there is nothing of substance.

Comment is about True life's an art (blog)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ Liverpool Poet

Isobel

Tue 27th Aug 2013 23:06

'Follow compassion not fashion, for that never grows old'

Admirable words, Ged - if only compassion were a universal quality.

I went to the Tate gallery in Liverpool today and ended up leaving in a rage. In the name of art, they were showing a video on the second floor; a row of women sat straddling chairs, having one ugly black line tattooed across their backs. They were Italian drug addicted prostitutes, who had agreed to have this done for the money. The video was supposed to explore exploitation and objectification of the human body. I think they should have included soul somewhere.

I was enraged that the Tate should be complicit with the economic exploitation of those most vulnerable in our society. I wrote a formal complaint before I left the building - I hope other people are as revolted as I am.

I do sometimes wonder where our humanity is going to. That video must have made it's way through all kinds of artistic, intellectual channels before ending up at the Tate. Why couldn't they see what I saw?

Comment is about True life's an art (blog)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ Liverpool Poet

Tue 27th Aug 2013 20:52

I omitted a verse I wrote in my shed blackboard (the rest were on paper)

"Deception in this was all Coopey's
And tantamount really to theft
But it kept me supplied with my groupies
All sourced from the gullible Left"

Comment is about "Them As Lives Longest Learns Most" (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Tue 27th Aug 2013 20:49

I could visualise this as a Roy Orbison song. (Well, you know what mean!).
Classic middle bridge, MC.
Your lyrics deserve popularising. I envy anyone who can write love songs. Something always gets in the way when I try.

Comment is about FOR EVERMORE - a lyric (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Starfish

Tue 27th Aug 2013 20:25

P.S. Chloris is the reek Goddess of Spring.
Starfish

Comment is about Jules Clare (poet profile)

Original item by Jules Clare

Starfish

Tue 27th Aug 2013 20:07

Hi,thanks for reading and thanks for the lovely comments. It should be "no rhyme or reason" but I switched the words to make it rhyme. "This Crested King" is also my favourite, the picture is better though.
Starfish

Comment is about Jules Clare (poet profile)

Original item by Jules Clare

Tue 27th Aug 2013 13:53

... And how could I possibly have forgotten, "chicken tikka"?

Comment is about Southbank poets pay tribute at 'I Have a Dream' anniversary (article)

Tue 27th Aug 2013 13:08

Of course, greg, it's undeniable that he made a small contribution in the secondary field of human endeavour of civil rights, but did he give us "portaloo"? "Pooper scooper"? "Are those boots your mum's, ronaldo?" "Enhancing cream"? "Beaulieu view"? Or the pub lock-in song, "gimme gimme gimme a can after midnight"?

Harry O'Neill

Tue 27th Aug 2013 12:34

Your passion, `not allus honest` John...perish
the thought!

Comment is about "Them As Lives Longest Learns Most" (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Harry O'Neill

Tue 27th Aug 2013 12:27

I like that `critically perspires`

(we often forget that Japan suffered two nuclear bombs.
Which says something about the confidence that a nuclear war would never happen again as it would be far too destructive to even contemplate)

Oh yeah?

Comment is about Life Changes (blog)

Original item by Jules Clare

Harry O'Neill

Tue 27th Aug 2013 12:16

Pete,
This one even frightens me (and I don`t go for all this warming stuff)

I like the title.

Comment is about THE PROVIDER (blog)

Original item by Pete Slater

Harry O'Neill

Tue 27th Aug 2013 12:11

I like the way you are begining to expand your forms and vary your rhyming styles.

Some wise things in this

Good.

Comment is about True life's an art (blog)

Original item by Ged Thompson/ Liverpool Poet

Greg Freeman

Tue 27th Aug 2013 10:04

Great poem, John, which I'm sure the great man would have enjoyed. However, I'm glad to say that if you google 'I Have A Dream', it's Martin Luther King that comes up first, rather than Abba, which I find strangely comforting.

Ged Thompson

Tue 27th Aug 2013 03:17

Brilliant X

Comment is about Eyes in the Darkness (blog)

Original item by Shirley Smothers

Ged Thompson

Tue 27th Aug 2013 03:16

I love this in all its darkness, concise with hints off sporadic despair and confusion. Very honest and very very brave writing, well done for having the courage.

Ged X

Comment is about Lune Poetry (blog)

Original item by Shirley Smothers

Pete Slater

Tue 27th Aug 2013 00:29

Hi Shirley. Thank you for reading THE FOLLY OF YOUTH. Your comments are much appreciated. Ta!!

Comment is about Shirley Smothers (poet profile)

Original item by Shirley Smothers

Pete Slater

Tue 27th Aug 2013 00:27

Thank you for your comments on THE FOLLY OF YOUTH MC. Much appreciated. I was that youth. (Still am inside my head, just wiser I hope)

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Tue 27th Aug 2013 00:25

Greetings - and many thanks for the Youtube link provided on my profile page.
A wondrous montage of shots of predominantly
human activity over the face of our world - but
not the downbeat message "in total" I feared.
The extraordinary achievments of Mankind in leaving its mark on our planet is there to see
but not all bad by any means. The cycle of
life goes on; even our human excretory product
can appeal to other life forms! I was amazed
only this evening to learn how reindeer are
drawn to human urine because of its salt content.
I guess we're back to human numbers - and, as with
other life forms, these must be carefully watched to guard against betraying the essential balance
of nature. Otherwise, everything increasingly
points to the sky; with our greatest modern buildings seeming to grab hold of the heavens.
As for the whale at the end of that Youtube clip
- was it saying "we're still here, pal!" - or
waving "goodbye to all that". Being an optimist I prefer the former. As one who successfully
lobbied against the use of sperm whale oil in
the leather industry back in teh 70s - resulting in the adoption of a synthetic substitute, I believe that it rescued a species "on the brink"; and I well remember many doom & gloom-mongers
readily predicting how the atom bomb would see
humanity bringing down the curtain on all life.
But au contraire...it has provided a sentinel
for global safety and a supply of power. And
there are other examples to provide optimism
for the future. By all means, let us be on
our guard against excess in whatever form - but the hope is surely in the knowledge that we
are AWARE of the dangers in line and in time
with their appearance and threat. We cannot
say we have not been warned!
Onwards and upwards....

Comment is about Noetic-fret! (poet profile)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Mon 26th Aug 2013 23:41

I listened to the "echo" version and think that
you have a delightful voice. I think you'd
make a great job of one of my favourite English
songs "Barbara Allen".
As for the melodic line, I had some difficulty
with it and wonder if the material would be
better suited to a recitation-style performance -
emphasising the vocal inflexions suitable to
your words.

Comment is about Song - Lavender man (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Jules Clare

Mon 26th Aug 2013 22:14

This my favourite so far - good description of a rooster - would have liked to have seen a couple more verses though...

Comment is about This Crested King (blog)

Original item by Starfish

Jules Clare

Mon 26th Aug 2013 22:12

Like it ... lovely structure - what does Chloris mean?

Comment is about Spring (blog)

Original item by Starfish

Jules Clare

Mon 26th Aug 2013 22:11

A great book.... good poem - I don't get the meaning of rhyme on the last line....

Comment is about Forbidden Love (blog)

Original item by Starfish

Starfish

Mon 26th Aug 2013 21:31

Your stuff is always worth reading. Like it.
Starfish.

Comment is about "Them As Lives Longest Learns Most" (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Starfish

Mon 26th Aug 2013 21:26

Hi. I like this. It's both descriptive and informative.
Starfish

Comment is about Life Changes (blog)

Original item by Jules Clare

Noetic-fret!

Mon 26th Aug 2013 17:37

For those of you inclined to post comments on this piece, thank you.

Please check this link out where you may just see the dilemma currently facing humanity.

thank you for your feedback.

Mike

Comment is about The Thief of Creation (blog)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Noetic-fret!

Mon 26th Aug 2013 17:35

Hello there,

thank you for your comment regarding 'The Thief of All Creation.'

I have posted a link for you here which i think you will enjoy. I wanted to post this on the actual poetry blog itself. As someone who mentions from looking above, i think you will enjoy this post. But, don't reach for the handkerchief until the end, when you may just 'get it.'

Aye, we always seem to come back from the brink, but i fear this time, we have moved too fast and too ignorant to restore this planet to its former glory.

Enjoy the link

Mike

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Nigel Astell

Mon 26th Aug 2013 16:57

Rachel uses nature as a good background and it comes across so well in all her work.

Comment is about Stockport WoL (poet profile)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Shirley Smothers

Mon 26th Aug 2013 16:55

Nice poem. Everyone has regrets. This poem states this very well. Sometimes I think I still make the same dumb mistakes.
Your poem makes one pause and consider their lives.

Good writing
Shirley

Comment is about THE FOLLY OF YOUTH (blog)

Original item by Pete Slater

Mon 26th Aug 2013 16:23

This could just as easily been called
"Backwards - And Forwards". A well-considered
essay on then - and now; the presumption and
ego of youth revisited by the self-awareness
that age brings.

Comment is about THE FOLLY OF YOUTH (blog)

Original item by Pete Slater

Mon 26th Aug 2013 16:04

A brief note of optimism:
However often this world seems "near the brink",
somehow something comes along - either awareness,
invention or both, to avert the disaster.
I'm always astounded, bearing in mind the many
dangers faced according to Man's own observations,
how pristine the planet looks from above - as if untouched by the latter's activities.
The biggest threat is surely human over-population
- yet how ironic that we are deluged with pleas
to "save" our species. How to resolve that conundrum?...that's the present "humanitarian"
quandary.

Comment is about The Thief of Creation (blog)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Mon 26th Aug 2013 15:42

It was Lenny Bruce who said "Communism is like
one big phone company" and clearly, in J.C.'s
lines, connections were being made!!

Comment is about "Them As Lives Longest Learns Most" (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Noetic-fret!

Mon 26th Aug 2013 12:34

Hi Jules,

Thank you for commenting on 'The Thief of Creation.' I guess of all people you must be quite alarmed at the rate of decay of our planet. You're lucky to be able to live in the country though, that's something my wife and I plan to do next year if possible - make a move to the country.

Some years ago, I read up on philosophy. I learned the Alegory of the Cave in Plato's Republic. It is said that when you see the light, you reach the Noetic stage of understanding. However, it can also be deemed as an illusory perception on life, because it can infer the phenomenal. I chose that name because I understood a lot through my tours of duty overseas, and my own experiences dictate to me there 'is' the phenomenal in life. The word fret, can mean two things both of which are apparent to me. A fret, can be a purging of emotions, it can also mean a chord played on a musical instrument. There was a time I found a chord riff, that I have been unable to emulate through the years since I originally played the riff, it was rather haunting, melancholy and very different. The name Noetic-fret is a conjunction of all of these things, inferring God-Chord!

I know it's rather grandiose, but that's what comes from we who are in essence artistic and creative.

Glad you took the time to comment. I hope you liked it.

Best wishes and keep posting.

Mike

Comment is about Jules Clare (poet profile)

Original item by Jules Clare

Jules Clare

Mon 26th Aug 2013 11:43

Thanks Peter, I am well again. Depression is bad thing to have but when the switch turns back on life is great. I have made contact with my daughter and friends again and back in a routine and writing poetry too. I don't do this when down.

I am due to read on Bishop FM soon. I am taking part in a reading of Anglo Saxon Poetry at Escomb 12th Century Saxon Church on 7th Sept as part of Lindarsfarne gospels events. I read a poem at The Puthon Gallery in Middlesbrough on Friday night. You may have heard of the poets Mandy Maxwell and Nominally known as Morbid. Anyway I have put the poem on sound cloud. Cheers....

Comment is about Pete Slater (poet profile)

Original item by Pete Slater

Pete Slater

Mon 26th Aug 2013 10:57

Jules, hello and well met. Thank you for finding the time to read "The Folly of Youth" Your comments are much appreciated. Sorry to hear about your health issues and I genuinely hope this message finds you well. I was just a boy whose intentions were good ....... Ha, ha.

Comment is about Jules Clare (poet profile)

Original item by Jules Clare

Isobel

Mon 26th Aug 2013 10:26

LOL - but you HAVE chosen to get bogged down into the politics of the poem :)

Most parents who care will move heaven and earth to give their kids the best start in life. I take your point that the grammar school system allowed bright kids in poorer areas further choice. That didn't make them the perfect solution to secondary education though. I don't suppose there will ever be one. A system needs to be flexible for it to suit all - and flexible it wasn't.

Comment is about The Eleven-Plus (blog)

Jules Clare

Mon 26th Aug 2013 10:13

A professional sound recording and good subject matter. Haunting sound and words. I have a decades old degree in Environmental Studies and am fortunate to live in a village in the countryside in Weardale. What does Noetic Fret mean...

Comment is about The Thief of Creation (blog)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

David Cooke

Mon 26th Aug 2013 10:01

Enjoyed this one, Greg and can recognize much of what's going on it. I don't want to get too bogged down in the politics of it, other than to say that many of those who condemn grammar schools seem to have no qualms in buying there way into the best catchment areas. Having worked in a dodgy comp for decades I'm also glad that,as the son of immigrants who had no formal education after the age of 13, my (grammar) school gave me the chance of a decent education which I might not have had these days.

Comment is about The Eleven-Plus (blog)

Jules Clare

Mon 26th Aug 2013 09:58

Good poem, good ending. We all live our lives with some regrets. Mine is illness. When I am well I just trying and help people and be nice to people. One of the ways I do this is via poetry. I have read poetry on James Cook Hospital Radio, Radio Tees, Radio Teesdale, Middlesbrough Community FM and Bishop FM as a result. And I am talking about brain hemorrhage, Ulcerative Colitis, Acute Rheumatoid Arthritis and bi-polar mood disorder. The latter has certainly brought me some scrapes in life but some great experiences too....

Comment is about THE FOLLY OF YOUTH (blog)

Original item by Pete Slater

Ann Foxglove

Sun 25th Aug 2013 16:35

Thanks Harry (Lavender man) - my voice is just not right for the song - it should be sung by Tom Waits really! I was trying to get across some sort of idea of addiction (for lavender read drugs/drink/sex) - failed miserably as the kind comments show :)

Comment is about Harry O`N eill (poet profile)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Ann Foxglove

Sun 25th Aug 2013 16:33

Thanks guys - Harry - my voice is just not right for the song - it should be sung by Tom Waits really! I was trying to get across some sort of idea of addiction (for lavender read drugs/drink/sex) - failed miserably as these kind comments show :)

Comment is about Song - Lavender man (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Harry O'Neill

Sun 25th Aug 2013 15:43

Anne,
The music is superb.

The reverb version best (with perhaps the reverb lower)

Words?... I can`t help feeling that something more along the lines of a (modern) pre-Raphaelite style distracted and wandering Ophelia would suit the music more.

The dog and the chewy bone doesn`t `go` with it.

Comment is about Song - Lavender man (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

John F Keane

Sun 25th Aug 2013 13:57

This is the excellent artist from the Heatons Arts Trail I was talking about at the last meeting:

www.rachelcooke.co.uk

Comment is about Stockport WoL (poet profile)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Ann Foxglove

Sun 25th Aug 2013 10:43

Hi Sven - a very warm welcome to WOl - I hope you'll enjoy being part of the site :)

Comment is about Poetry Sven Writes (poet profile)

Original item by Poetry Sven Writes

Ann Foxglove

Sun 25th Aug 2013 10:40

Thanks for listening Margaret! (Lavender man)

Comment is about Margaret Holbrook (poet profile)

Original item by Margaret Holbrook

Ann Foxglove

Sun 25th Aug 2013 10:40

Thanks Starfish! (Lavender man)

Comment is about Starfish (poet profile)

Original item by Starfish

Margaret Holbrook

Sat 24th Aug 2013 21:45

A summery sound, just had a listen.

Comment is about Song - Lavender man (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Sat 24th Aug 2013 16:44

Wizard, just magical. Amazing images with authoritative diction, and shot with stark realism in contrast. If I picked favourite spots, I would wind up quoting most of the poem.

It was wonderful seeing you on Tuesday night. My enthusiasm was genuine, if perhaps too forward. I've been hoping for a long time to meet the woman whose work I so much admire. You know the script - the mind in the flesh - that sort of thing. And it all fitted perfectly. I think reading someone's poetry sincerely is like looking through private windows, with unspoken invitation. It's really hard not to develop a sense of bonding. But I must be more circumspect in future.

Comment is about Rock pool (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Katypoetess

Sat 24th Aug 2013 08:02

Yep, right again Nigel!! I'm starting to think you should be my therapist : )

Comment is about Nigel Astell (poet profile)

Original item by Nigel Astell

◄ Prev 1 2 3 169 338 448 449 450 451 452 507 676 845 1014 1183 1352 1521 1682 1683 1684 Next ►