Robert Mann

Mon 30th Apr 2012 15:14

Beautifully written. Conjures up images of perfect sunsets tinged with the sadness of awaiting a loved one's return.

Comment is about our bench (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

jane wilcock

Mon 30th Apr 2012 15:10

This is lovely, death to life, frost to warmth.

Comment is about May (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Alison Smiles

Mon 30th Apr 2012 15:05

oooh, a very haunting sonnet. I loved the volta from the practicalities to the whimsical musings. The final line is fantastic.

Comment is about May (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

jane wilcock

Mon 30th Apr 2012 15:03

Great, really moody.

Comment is about On stolen sheets (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

jane wilcock

Mon 30th Apr 2012 14:52

Green heart, Ispbel, I don't think it's beating yet. Yep, I have the same problem.

Comment is about That poetry podium feeling: Greenheart prize-winner Laura on a grand night out (article)

Debbie Houghton

Mon 30th Apr 2012 14:49

Thank you Anne, my life is in limbo at the moment as I've had a run of one thing after another leaving me rather crushed and I have wrapped myself in a cocoon of safe lonelines. Taking this step to join you and becoming part of the world again is nerve wracking but exciting.

Comment is about Debbie Houghton (Poet profile)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Nichola Burrows

Mon 30th Apr 2012 14:46

I love the way that this rambles on as if it is the conscious unconscious of the person, it has an almost dreamlike quality, irrespective of time or place, but there. You really captured a moment in time.Very impressive.

Comment is about IRELAND WITH BETJEMAN. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

Nichola Burrows

Mon 30th Apr 2012 14:31

Just, dotted my T's and crossed my eyes guys, so, sorry this is up again a month later. Be intersting if anyone could guess what this is about though. It's a biographical piece and about an event which took place. I had..... thanks to Cobi Stone, fellow WOL member, about and hour in a challenge to write about Anticipation. So I wrote this about my teenage son.

Comment is about ANTICIPATION (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Nichola Burrows

Mon 30th Apr 2012 14:14

Hey Cobi,did you notice the ANTICPATION too, first letter of each line.

Comment is about ANTICIPATION (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Isobel

Mon 30th Apr 2012 13:56

I can't seem to connect to the site. It keeps on saying that I'm timed out and that it has reached its maximum pool size. Is anyone else having the same problem?

Debbie Houghton

Mon 30th Apr 2012 13:45

I really like your poem Jeff, it is so true. Music speaks to our souls in a language evreryone understands, crossing all cultural barriers and lifting us above the hatred, bigotry, and politicd. Uniting us, and giving us the gift of friendship
Id love to see you live but cant make the Manchester gig, may all enjoy and be blessed by it's power

Comment is about It's the Music that Matters!! - A Poem For Sophie Lancaster - Never Forget X (blog)

Original item by Jeffarama!

Mon 30th Apr 2012 11:48

Cheers Win- I had struggled with the 4th myself and at 3am called it a night. Thanks for the comments and advice. Tommy

Comment is about Winston Plowes (Poet profile)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Mon 30th Apr 2012 11:48

Comment is about On stolen sheets (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Rachel Bond

Mon 30th Apr 2012 11:42

ah..so wrong song, wrong band, different bit of poem, at end not beginning. ahhh you elderly folk need so much looking after.

will watch that one x

Comment is about theme park (blog)

Original item by Rachel Bond

steve black

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:52

I knew it was a mistake referencing popular culture. I was thinking of LIFEGOESON by Noah and the Whale. And when I say the first bit I mean the rock star suicide section. The other one of theirs is 'Tonights the Kind of Night,' I should do some research before gobbing off.

Comment is about theme park (blog)

Original item by Rachel Bond

Greg Freeman

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:52

It could well have been the George, Win, probably was, in which case I'm sorry to hear it has gone - although for some reason the names Brown or even Spotted Cow come to mind. It was all a very long time ago! Btw, your current pic looks a bit like it was snapped through a space capsule - though I suppose it's your barge window.

Comment is about Winston Plowes (Poet profile)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Laura Taylor

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:17

Ah, you're all so lovely. Have been really ill lately with bronchitis plus chest infection so it's cheered me right up reading all your comments :)

Yep Jane, the poems are up on the Greenheart site now.

Harry - I used to want to be a journo, funnily enough ;)

Mike - no, you can only speak to me by appointment now. Ahem ;)

Greg Freeman

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:07

Hi Alison, thanks for your perceptive comments on The Show. It's show week next week! Greg

Comment is about Alison Smiles (Poet profile)

Original item by Alison Smiles

winston plowes

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:05

Re the computer emotions - glad you concur. This seems like a discussion thread in the blogs section but it was the only way I could include the audio, thx for commenting. Win

Comment is about Greg Freeman (Poet profile)

Greg Freeman

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:05

Thanks for your technical comments on The Show, John, which I'm very grateful for. I plead guilty to the accusation oft levelled at managers by football fans: "You don't know what you're doing!"

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

winston plowes

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:04

Hi Again Greg. I believe the newspaper offices were near the pedestrian crossing opposite WH Smiths. They have now mooved to near the traffic lights and town hall. And also that the pub you mention could have been the Criketers or the now gone George. Win

Comment is about Greg Freeman (Poet profile)

Greg Freeman

Mon 30th Apr 2012 10:02

Thanks for your comment on The Show, Jane, which buoyed me up no end, since I'm not actually an amateur thespian. On the other hand, I'm very close to someone who is!

Comment is about jane wilcock (Poet profile)

Original item by jane wilcock

Greg Freeman

Mon 30th Apr 2012 09:57

Thanks for your comments on The Show, Graham. I googled your poem The Starlet, and then remembered it, of course - and remembered enjoying it. I'm not an amateur thespian myself, but I'm very close to someone who is!

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (Poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Lynn Dye

Mon 30th Apr 2012 09:54

I agree, John, it's another gem, hugely entertaining.

Comment is about You Won't Batter Anymore (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Greg Freeman

Mon 30th Apr 2012 09:51

Thanks for your comments on The Show, Phil. Can I interest you in a ticket for Bugsy Malone, Woking Amateur Operatic Society, Tuesday to Saturday next week?!

Comment is about Philipos (Poet profile)

Original item by Philipos

winston plowes

Mon 30th Apr 2012 09:48

Tommy, Had to comment on this one as it grabbed me by the throat and demanded it. The collection of NUS card and photo ephemera really adds to the words. Strong opening. viciously real second stanza. Loved the rhythm and sylable count of third stanza. Might fiddle with the 4th (the repeated were and otherwise a bit clunky). 'Turned the water dark' Fabulous. A great poem Tommy. Win x

Comment is about On stolen sheets (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Greg Freeman

Mon 30th Apr 2012 09:47

Hi Win, thanks for your kind comments on The Show and The Cruet Set. Little did I know when I left the district office of the Yorkshire Evening Press in the mid-1970s that 35 years on I'd be corresponding with a former resident of the town - no doubt in short trousers when I was around - and a current one whose tunes and lyrics give me a laugh night after night. I remember Gowthorpe, of course - our little upstairs office was on it - and a Sam Smiths pub that did excellent meat pies at lunchtime, which put me on the path to the current shape I am. Greg

Comment is about Winston Plowes (Poet profile)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Ann Foxglove

Mon 30th Apr 2012 08:43

Hi Debbie - what a busy life you lead! Welcome to WOL, and I hope you enjoy being a part of the site.

Comment is about Debbie Houghton (Poet profile)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Rafal Nowakowski

Mon 30th Apr 2012 07:39

Welcome, Ann,
that's great idea, I'll check blog section, and put there at lat these translations. In fact, I need more translations..

Comment is about Rafał Nowakowski (Poet profile)

Original item by Rafał Nowakowski

Debbie Houghton

Mon 30th Apr 2012 06:16

Lovely poem Yvonne -
we have 2 cats and had 5 budgies flying free, if the birds fluttered near the cats they ran away terrified.
They have no problem with external wildlife whilst outside, however if they bring anything into the house they immediately ignore it. We had an escaped field mouse under our kitchen cupboards and no matter what I did the silly cat was backing off meowing like crazy to get away. They must have some sort of NATO pact of non aggression inside the house border!

Comment is about Whisker (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Rachel Bond

Mon 30th Apr 2012 01:58

ste
that was right vaccines track had another look at vid. girl riding round on one of those old lady bikes in heels and bobby socks pretendin to be a school girl..yeh yeh they love that shit that girl could be the star attraction sell tickets for the ride of your life. under 16? yeh yeh roll up lucky fuckin mid life crisis, this is your greatest day...would rather be dead than think that ok and im gonna say it.
not you ste, just going on you know.

Comment is about theme park (blog)

Original item by Rachel Bond

William James Cottman, Jr.

Sun 29th Apr 2012 23:56

"Truth isn’t as simple as accuracy" nor as repeatable as rhythms and grooves but there must be something somewhere I can rely upon

Comment is about ICON (blog)

Original item by J. Otis Powell‽ (with interrobang)

winston plowes

Sun 29th Apr 2012 23:43

Hi Lucy, enjoyed this, and yet we canot do any of those things you suggest before it is found in the first place, and how do we recognise it? And it us? Win x

Comment is about True Love (blog)

Original item by Lucy

winston plowes

Sun 29th Apr 2012 23:35

No apology necessary, Without darkness, there would be no light. :-) loved the line "Hope and peace carded the walls," Win x

Comment is about Murder Christmas 2011 (blog)

Original item by jane wilcock

winston plowes

Sun 29th Apr 2012 23:30

Hi again, did you mean blighty? (ln 8). Win

Comment is about Insane Poppy (blog)

Original item by jane wilcock

winston plowes

Sun 29th Apr 2012 23:28

Well, I have a unique angle perhaps as a lepidopterist and past train spotter. What a great idea to try and combine the two! Stoney places? Win x

Comment is about Statto of the Railway Lines (blog)

Original item by jane wilcock

winston plowes

Sun 29th Apr 2012 23:16

Hi Greg, Re John battering songs, I have strong boyhood memories of the Selby friers. There was this one chip shop right (On Gowthorpe in the middle of the town). We called it "Fatty Bowls'" The two elderly brothers serving were always decked out in matching white 'overalls' had slicked back pure white hair. Must get more accurate details from my mum. lol

Comment is about Greg Freeman (Poet profile)

winston plowes

Sun 29th Apr 2012 23:14

John, another fine rendition to keep us amused. Thankyou.

Greg, I have strong boyhood memories of the Selby friers. There was this one chip shop (On Gowthorpe in the middle of the town). We called it "Fatty Bowls'" The two elderly brothers serving were always decked out in matching white 'overalls'. Must get more accurate details from my mum. lol

Comment is about You Won't Batter Anymore (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Greg Freeman

Sun 29th Apr 2012 22:56

Conjures up images of a fraught fryer in a Selby chippie on a Friday night, with plenty of salty language! Another gem. You must have enough songs for a CD by now, John. Please put me down for one.

Comment is about You Won't Batter Anymore (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Sun 29th Apr 2012 22:40

purrfect!xx

Comment is about Whisker (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Sun 29th Apr 2012 22:20

Thank you Yvonne,Glynn,Lynn so much.Yes indeed Glynn,there are so many cases today of child abuse,neglect and(like poor Peter)fatalities.I was stunned to hear that sixty cases of abuse are reported daily-almost unbelievable!

Comment is about Mill stone (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Roy Chetham

Sun 29th Apr 2012 21:11

Yes, like it. As a railway enthusiast myself this captures some of the atmosphere and magic for me. Line 19; do you mean Stoke, no R ?

Comment is about Statto of the Railway Lines (blog)

Original item by jane wilcock

Alison Smiles

Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:43

My sea is deep my soul is clean. Mmm, loved this one (not just this line).

Comment is about UNCTION (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:42

Cats don't do it for me, I'm afraid.
(But the poem does).

Comment is about Whisker (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Alison Smiles

Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:41

Drawn in by the first line and left feeling envious of the person in the last two lines. Lovely.

Comment is about The show (blog)

Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:32

"sets those very stones to sing". That does it for me, Ian.
Every bit as magical as the first man (surely a son of the gods) who took rock and fired it until an altogeher new substance, metal, bled from it.

Comment is about UNCTION (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:23

Clever and subtle use of consonantal rhymes, Greg. Then put to ground with a slow finish and assonant rhyme.
Nobody told me we wouldn't get into the CL if you beat Bayern!
Come on, you Krauts.

Comment is about The show (blog)

Greg Freeman

Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:13

I couldn't resist this one, Jane. You're right, trainspotters are not just into trains, but stations, sidings, cuttings and stony spaces as well. And it's wonderful how plants like buddleia - and butterflies, of course - colonise such places. I particularly liked "And butterflies in liveried red / burst myriad" - livery being the term for the colours of engines and carriages, as any trainspotter kno.

Comment is about Statto of the Railway Lines (blog)

Original item by jane wilcock

Greg Freeman

Sun 29th Apr 2012 20:06

The winning poems should eventually go up on the Greenheart website http://www.visitgreenheart.com
Greg

steve black

Sun 29th Apr 2012 19:56

A piece about flippancy that isn't flippant. You almost said everything in the first four lines.

'He's running up a gob shop,' I've never heard that before.

Comment is about Flippance is a Goodbye Song (blog)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 148 296 444 448 449 450 451 452 592 740 888 1036 1184 1332 1478 1479 1480 Next -->