Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:42

I love it! How original! Hairy serendipity...

And I also think there is a lot of truth in people being attracted to others who aren't afraid to stand up and be different. Not that I'm about to start growing my own mind... people might think I'm french - or german...

Comment is about A Hairy Womans Fortunate Experience (blog)

Original item by Solar

ray miller

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:31

Thanks all.
I remember that poem, Greg, it were good. She's probably working on hers. Took nearly 20 years for anything on Stephen Lawrence.

Isobel. Nah, she'll be watching the football.You call this uplifting poetry!?

Anthony. Even I can't stand to listen to me.I like Carol Ann Duffy and she's never said anything bad about me. So, though I can't recall all of the poem in question I'm sure I enjoyed it. I do like Prayer.

I believe you, Fletch, I believe you.

Comment is about Fame (blog)

ray miller

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:18

Thanks, Greg. Not one of my best!

Comment is about Suture (blog)

Manda Lee

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 20:11

Another happy one mate. Love the imagery, it gives real strength to the feelings. Good one. Any new stuff on the horizon?

Comment is about Carry me away (blog)

Original item by Na'im

Harry O'Neill

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 19:28

I agree with Helen about the design. The rhyming down the line and absence of punctuation compels a slow, thoughtful reading. (tried it along the line and it `goes` more quickly)

I`m not a convinced fan of either, but this one very definitely `works`.

Lovely written (and recited) poem.

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Helen Thomas

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:59

A very intelligently designed poem! I agree with Francine re. the near rhymes which give the poem a subtle rhythm evocative of the ebb and flow of all that time it's taken for us to get here. Also enjoyed the audio - especially the intriguing effects at the beginning.

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Helen Thomas

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:50

Hi Anthony. Thanks for listening and commenting. I'm glad you enjoyed the audio. I was especially pleased to see that it raised a smile - that's always good! It's funny but I've been toying with the idea of sticking it on youtube, just with a picture not a video, although I think the word 'poetry' still puts a lot of people off listening to certain things. I'm very pleased that it raised a smile whilst being tucked away on here anyway!

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:46

You don't have her phone number, I suppose?

Comment is about A Hairy Womans Fortunate Experience (blog)

Original item by Solar

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 18:43

Hi Helen,

I'm so glad I stopped by to listen to your audio track. It kept me enthralled and smiling all the way through. It's incredibly well conceived, written, read and put together. You should be justifiably proud!

Shame it's hidden away here, more people should hear it . . .

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

ray miller

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:44

This poem reads so oddly that
budding POET LAURA T
could yet be POET LAUREATE
give or take an extra E.

This isn't the first time I've been in someone else's poem, actually, but the other one was by a Welsh person so it doesn't really count. Then, of course, there's Kate Moss's love poems, but they're still subject to an injunction. Poor girl never knows when to finish a line.

Anyway, I'm deeply offended by this notion that I have poetry rules and suchlike. Some things work better than others is all.But I'm not one to carp. Or to be koi, for that matter.

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:35

I don't think there is any better example of serendipity than life itself - the monumental accident and coincidences that lead us to be...

I've actually started writing my entry for this comp and it was very much tied up to this idea - though no-one will believe me now - cos you've just landed on the moon and planted the flag...

I love your poetry and I love your mind - is that a form of narcissism?

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Tony Hilton

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:32

Good debut (not that I'm biased)!!

Comment is about Grace at Middleton WOL January 2012 (photo)

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:28

Hi Graham,

I enjoyed the poem - the very essence and epitome of smugness!

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Rivalry (blog)

Original item by Graham Clifford

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:10

Hi Laura,

I'll bet the phrase "desire shallow eminence from fish!" has never been uttered, written or, come to think of it, imagined! You are unique!

Ray should be chuffed to bits! (No, I don't mean run over by a train!)

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:06

Hi Ray,

Admire the way you've built this around the Duffy reference. It reads very well, but again I'd prefer to hear your dulcet tones! Are you going to continue to deprive us of that special treat?

Incidentally, do you feel the referenced work is a "desert island" or "dusty bin" poem?

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Fame (blog)

Dave Bradley

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:05

Nice one, John - the other comments have said it all

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Dave Bradley

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 17:02

Crafted by an intelligent and creative soul. Just like the universe.

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:57

Hi Dave,

My, someone's keen! A neat example of how contemporary language can change the flavour of something so ancient and familiar. Simplicity becomes management-speak.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Serendipity (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Ian gant

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:53

Good Piece, Accurate well structured and though quite sweet without any decent into the mawkish and trite.

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Anthony Emmerson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:51

Immaculately conceived - and executed; with your usual deft brushstrokes.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Laura Taylor

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:43

*chortle* cheers earses

Steve - you're terrible, Muriel :D

Isobel - you know, I find it surprisingly easy to break Ray's rules - I just write, and hey presto! ;D

Ray is conspicuous by his absence. Some people are just SO ungrateful!

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

andrew barnes

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:18

Very Sad news- Rest in Peace Geoff. I couldn't claim to be a close friend but I met Geoff at his poetry conventions and he published some of my stuff in Purple Patch when many others wouldn't- for which I remain very grateful.

Thinking of his family and friends at this incredibly difficult time.

Andrew Barnes

Comment is about Death of Geoff Stevens, editor of Purple Patch (article)

steve mellor

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:11

Laura - if I could offer a little advice :-)) - shouldn't the last word on the final line be 'cod' and not 'God', thereby linking the line above's 'fish'

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Kenneth Eaton-Dykes

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 16:05

There's not many that can.

Comment is about Mike Hilton (Poet profile)

Original item by Mike Hilton

dorinda macdowell

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:49

Simply wonderful! - KEEP WRITING!

Dorinda MacDowell

Comment is about Serendipity and Happenstance (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:18

Well, it looks like you've been granted your wish. Now I wonder if Carol Ann Duffy might be reading this...

I like the fun element of this. So far Serendipity seems to be producing uplifting poetry. I don't suppose good things can come out of death - unless the main character is a debt collector or a tax collector or a traffic warden, or a dog fouler or a...

Comment is about Fame (blog)

Isobel

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 15:13

This had me very foxed cos I read it before I read Rays - and I thought you wuz taking the mick...

Now I've read the pair and it's given me a good chuckle - so thank you for that. I like the way your poem breaks all Ray's rules Laura - it's not easy doing that!

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Mike Hilton

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 13:35

Very clever Laura, you little tinker!- well done Mike

Comment is about S.E.R.E.N.D.I.P.I.T.Y. (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Laura Taylor

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 13:27

Tee hee - be careful what you ask for Ray!

Comment is about Fame (blog)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 13:11

Poor Svetlana - she must be living in hope!
Which can probably be said for the numbnuts
who sent me an email purporting to come from
Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs...as if ANYONE would reply to that!

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 12:49

JC for Professor of Poetry at Oxford!!
As for writers of "difficult" stuff...
"It has to be a bitter pill
To be lectured so by Geoffrey Hill
Sounding forth in righteous huff he
Makes me sympathise with Ms Duffy!"
(should I transfer this to the "clerihew" discussion?!)

Comment is about Oxford professor Hill takes Carol Ann Duffy to task (article)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 12:37

Apropos a post elsewhere on this site about
political poetry - here is the reality of its
place in a repressive, running-scared regime
that presumes to take a place in the civilised
world. When its politically employed are able
to lead rather than dictate and terrorise, that
place may be earned. In the meantime, the human voice will continue to speak out. And
that is how it should be - and how it must be.
One day, perhaps, the Chinese authorities may
mature enough to realise that and be worthy of
the trust and respect of their people.

Comment is about Chinese dissident faces jail for poem on Skype (article)

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 12:24

The point about technique brought forward by
Martin Nelson encourages me to say that the most interesting technique is of little use unless the subject matter is of interest to the
viewer, reader or listener.
The subject matter must connect to the sensibilities. Certainly, technique can enhance its subject and the audience view
accordingly but it cannot retain the interest
on its own. I am a great film fan, going back
fifty years, with recollections of watching
film technique that I was unaware of at the
time, but it wouldn't have mattered anyway if
the subject hadn't been of interest.
With poetry - what is written is vital. How it
is written can enhance or detract, according
to the skill or otherwise, of the writer.
Technique is a tool of the trade, there to
embellish and assist an intended message.
But if what you have to say is of little interest or consequence, then what does it
achieve? Enhanced boredom?

Comment is about The Write Out Loud interview: Fiona Sampson (article)

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:43

Thanks for your comments on The Winter Gardens, Ray. Still a work in progress, so cheers for the tips.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:42

Thanks for your comments on The Winter Gardens, Isobel. It's easy to poke fun at the blokes in cloth caps, but I think we've lost something along the way, too.

Comment is about Isobel (Poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:41

Thanks for your comments on The Winter Gardens, Harry. It's easy to make fun of the blokes in cloth caps, but I think we've lost something along the way, too.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Mike Hilton

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:26

There you go again Ken blowing your own trumpet.
I bet you can't play the flight of the Bubble Bee.( with no hands!)

Mike

Comment is about Ken Eaton-Dykes (Poet profile)

Original item by Ken Eaton-Dykes

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:17

Ray, I think this is fairly sublime, although I'm a bit dim, and had to check out the goldfish reference. As it happens, I've written a poem about watching an England match in a pub with Carol Ann Duffy. I'm still waiting for hers about the same event.

Comment is about Fame (blog)

Greg Freeman

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 11:12

Any goal will do, no Mata who scores 'em! Nice of you, as an Evertonian, to think of us, Chris.

Comment is about Chelsea Zen Buddhist Haiku (blog)

Original item by Chris Co

Marianne Louise Daniels

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 10:49

I really enjoyed listening to this the other night.There are some cracking lines - beautiful, raw and like thrown daggers - "You either be happy or be mentally well

so I suggest you should lose your mind."

Yes, I like.

Comment is about In consequence of past oblivion (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Martin Nelson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 09:29

M.C.

I'm just trying to understand your position a little better.

If its that everyone can write poetry but not everyone becomes an artist I'd agree.

The question you ask about Betjeman...I think could be applied to almost all creative fields today. Personally, I dislike fast cutting in film-based media, and have heard rumours that tracking shots are not done in film. Despite this I still think that Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet and Henry V benefit hugely from their tracking shots and the artistic way in which it was shot.

That said if you look at The Artist, I wouldn't go all the way and say it was art, but it gets close...perhaps we just have to hope that the odd master of a given artform manages to slip though the nets?

Comment is about The Write Out Loud interview: Fiona Sampson (article)

Sally Blackmore

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 08:20

Thank you Greg- it took a while but here I am at last. Looking forward to getting to know the site and the other members.

Comment is about Sally J Blackmore (Poet profile)

Original item by Sally J Blackmore

Jeff Dawson

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 07:13

Great to see you back (again!), love the biography and great valentines poem Jeff X

Comment is about (Poet profile)

nick armbrister

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 03:46

indeed, temptation is a cool thing lol. this is the positive on my town. read my crap town entry for the flipside negative view on my town. no mercy there. look me up if youre tempted, i know all the haunts lol.

Comment is about MY TOWN (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

Francine

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 01:28

Well, now after reading this, I might just be tempted...

Comment is about MY TOWN (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

Francine

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 01:18

It happens, sometimes...

Comment is about IDENTITY CRISIS (blog)

Original item by Manda Lee

Francine

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 01:16

Just what exactly does this all mean?!

Comment is about In consequence of past oblivion (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Francine

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 01:15

Yes... unfortunately it has become all too common.

Comment is about Famous Scenes Of Sadness (01/02/12) (blog)

Original item by Tom Harding

Francine

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 01:11

Awww... This is really lovely.

Comment is about There's a sigh that is written (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Francine

Thu 2nd Feb 2012 01:05

I love it!
We have all wondered about this at one time or another, and you incorporate the religious with the non-religious beliefs so well in this. I love the title and artwork too - one of my favourite from the Sistine Chapel.

I was also struck initially by these words, but it gives it an edge of forcefulness in the sentiments expressed.

'myth and magic
guile and graft'

'mewling
puking'

Comment is about genesis (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 145 290 435 448 449 450 451 452 580 725 870 1015 1160 1305 1439 1440 1441 Next -->