Thu 17th Oct 2013 23:29

Hi Laura- I think middle-eastern- and get carried away myself (re Blackened Berries)I appreciate the emotional effort you have invested here. :)

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Thu 17th Oct 2013 23:25

Hi Ian, a big thanks for comments on'Blackened berries'. :)

Comment is about Ian Whiteley (poet profile)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Anne Maney

Thu 17th Oct 2013 23:24

Thank you for this comment, Charles, and best wishes with your own stirring work.

Comment is about Anne Maney (poet profile)

Original item by Anne Maney

Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:52

John - re: Full Contact - my face and body would tell you that you are absolutely correct :-)

Comment is about John Coopey (poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:50

John - my face and body would tell you that you are absolutely correct :-)
Pat & Stef - This Sporting Life was filmed at the rugby league club I support - Wakefield Trinity - quite a few of the players 'starred' in it along with him out of harry potter :-) it's great to see the old ground in the film - we're still there and I don't think it's had a lick of paint since :-) the picture accompanying this poem is of the memorable 'watersplash final' at Wembley in 1968 - just after the film was made - unfortunately we lost due to a missed kick right in front of the posts (always shown on grandstand - grrrrr) that's when Wakefield were a side to be reckoned with :-)

Comment is about Full Contact (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:41

Unlike football, there's nowhere to hide on a rugby pitch, is there, Ian?

Comment is about Full Contact (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:33

great stuff.Ian,you have seen a film
called 'This sporting Life?
if not,do get to see it.Top notch!xx

Comment is about Full Contact (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:17

The hand in the bucket of water, I'm afraid, Ian. To be remembered for a generation is perhaps all we can hope for.

Comment is about OPUS (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:14

flecked with sadness and giving off great imagery.

P&S.xx

Comment is about Between The Hats (blog)

Original item by Paul Sands

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:11

I wonder if he'd like mine?
Written after they lost the Champions League Cup Final to Barcelona.

Comment is about 'Made from grit and granite': Tony Walsh's stirring poetic tribute to Sir Alex Ferguson (article)

Thu 17th Oct 2013 22:07

we absolutely love this one!xx

Comment is about going to nowhere (blog)

Thu 17th Oct 2013 21:43

Izzy Old Fruity!
Nice to see you again last Sunday, and with Cate too - the stuff of which dreams are made! (Well, my dreams, anyway).
Thankyou for your thoughts on "Wtf?". I agree entirely about flogging to death words at the extreme of our vocabulary.
I suppose the F word has been replaced by the N word in terms of offensiveness. Perhaps that's because the elephant in the room for our grandparents was sex whereas for us it's race.
What's next for our grandkids?

Comment is about Isobel (poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Thu 17th Oct 2013 21:36

Hello MC,
Many thanks for your thoughts on "For These", Said The Father. My own thoughts are that, anthropologically speaking, we haven't come so very far. Indeed the dinosaurs didn't get so far in the millions of years they were around; it's expecting a bit much to think we can move on much in a few thousand.
With regard to "Wtf?", despite the tongue-in-cheek ending I really do think the word is worked to death. Isobel's quite right when she asks if we dilute the usage of words at the extremes of our vocabulary, how to you then express extremes?

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 19:19

she's alright I suppose.....;-)

Comment is about Laura! (blog)

Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 19:17

Mike - this is simply stunning - such a mighty tale of the loss of war and the futility of it - and how it was ever so. You've set a fantastic pace to this piece and the final 3 lines come as almost a redemptive chant or prayer. Really - Really powerful poem mate - well done :-)

Comment is about Gentlemen of the Cotton Towns (blog)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 19:13

Great poem Harry - some quite breathtaking biblical imagery in this and a real pace and rhythm to the whole thing. I'm a sucker for quasi religious imagery in poems and this one was spot on - Who??? Mankind I would say :-)

Comment is about (blog)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 19:10

good one Paul - some nice turns of phrase and well put together. 'umbilical wool' is a great image regarding those gloves tied with string :-)

Comment is about Between The Hats (blog)

Original item by Paul Sands

Ian Whiteley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 19:05

well Isobel! you looking for a fight? :-)
The example I gave could have applied to male or female - it just so happens that the last time I looked (metaphorically speaking) Solar was most definitely female - and it was her quote. So hence the response that she shouldn't lose the girl within. If a guy had written it I would most certainly have referenced a careerist MAN. Being non-careerist at this time in my life and having had to endure a lot of careerist individuals of both sexes in my previous life - I have a real aversion to that particular trait. Far better if the world were run my those with a childish demeanour in my honest opinion.
By the way - at least get the spelling of my surname right ;-)

Comment is about going to nowhere (blog)

Dave Morgan

Thu 17th Oct 2013 18:59

What a pleasure to be involved with this event. I've been dreaming of it for years. Looking forward to more poetry/music collsborations in the future. Thanks to Julian, Greg and co. for organising and for all the performers who travelled far to turn out for something which was more than the sum of its parts.

Comment is about Shades of the Beats: a poetry-jazz happening in the heart of the Pennines (article)

Ian M Hart

Thu 17th Oct 2013 16:28

My original oil Painting print for the back cover of my book of Poetry and Prose narrative Life at a Glance.

Comment is about picture (photo)

Original item by Ian McGregor Hart

Isobel

Thu 17th Oct 2013 15:50

Nice one Solar - I like the flow of ideas and words.

I like the way you build on the idea of going backwards - particularly the dust clouds in the future - you aren't doing that in your poetry, whatever you may think about your life...

Ian Whitely - why can't hard faced career women also be attractive and interesting females? Life doesn't have to separate itself into opposites.

I reckon there's a girl within every woman, at times - just like there's a boy within every man; it's just that we all go through periods where we doubt ourselves, to different degrees and for different reasons.

Comment is about going to nowhere (blog)

Nigel Astell

Thu 17th Oct 2013 15:29

Thanks for that Dorinda

The only thing we missed was the collage poem
maybe next time.

Like the photo Maggie and you got a mention well done.

The Road

On a road
no signs seen
marching in front.

We ask him
wait a minute
are we going
the right way?

He turns around
saying to us
who of you
made me leader?

Comment is about Stockport WoL (poet profile)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Thu 17th Oct 2013 14:21

Extraordinary how the best laid plans and the
rigorous training can be ruined by something
so mundane as a "jammed" weapon. Having read
accounts of this mission, I'm amazed that an
automatic weapon had no immediate heavy calibre
(.45 ??)revolver back-up...as the latter was
rarely prone to failure. Even Colonel Colt's
famous old Peacemaker was made with tolerances
allowing it to fall into mud and dust and fire without failing. The grenade that drove foreign matter into Heydrich's body was literally "hit and miss", in retrospect and
his subsequent death from the blood poisoning
that resulted was certainly more chance than design.
The ghastly Nazi revenge at Lidice was "par for
the course" as far as reprisals for killing
their personnel (let alone such a prominent
hate figure) was concerned. They did this sort
of thing all over the place in occupied
territories.

Comment is about The Hangman of Prague (blog)

Original item by Dean Carroll

Thu 17th Oct 2013 14:03

Lines that could only have been written by someone
whose heart had also known the dreadful arena of
conflict. In peace, it is easy to put aside
the reality of war and its cost...but we should
never ever forget the debt we owe.
We speak that we might be heard
We listen that we might learn.
For truth is like the flight of a bird
When all that we value we see burn.

Comment is about Gentlemen of the Cotton Towns (blog)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Isobel

Thu 17th Oct 2013 13:52

It's funny how attitudes vary towards that word from culture to culture - and geographical region even.

I always found it much more highly used down South and more frowned upon up North. The Irish use it like anyone else would say damn.

It does seem to be embedding itself into our vernacular in subtle ways.

Children now say 'What the...' not really realising the implications of what they are saying.

I tend to like using it for real effect - if I'm exceedingly, exceedingly angry - if it becomes too everyday - what do you use for effect?

Comment is about Wtf? (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Laura Taylor

Thu 17th Oct 2013 13:52

Hey, nowt wrong with the girl still being inside...all of my ages are still inside me, it makes life more interesting ;)

Like you, I've had some terrible crises over my writing. First one proper devastated me. I was all 'Who the fuck do I think I am? Do you think this is worth something? It's JUST WORDS'. It paralysed me. But my fella said something really special...he said it was Satan, trying to stop God's words coming through. Now - don't get me wrong, we're not bible bashers or owt like that, but it's just a rough way of understanding it all.

Don't let that doubt set fire to your wings. You write some really good stuff. Interesting and unusual takes on the world, and in a structure and way that I CAN'T do. We all have our own voice - and each is equal.

Like Ian, I also love that last line. I couldn't have thought of that, but YOU did.

Your sanctuary is inside you :) And this is a great poem.

Comment is about going to nowhere (blog)

Thu 17th Oct 2013 13:46

Sporting poems are rare so any additions to the
genre are to be encouraged. Not the easiest
to write and well done to the author getting it
to the man himself!

Laura Taylor

Thu 17th Oct 2013 13:45

Aww, how lovely!! What a beautiful poem to write, thank you :) I feel all bashful now!

'made to hold their heads up' - ha :D yehhh :) Oh they come marching through no matter what I say or do chuck! Some days they link themselves like those spirals of DNA models, round and round in my head, and you can't separate them out!

Thank you. What a lovely present :)

Comment is about Laura! (blog)

Thu 17th Oct 2013 13:36

Hello there - and thank you for commenting on the
posts about mental health - result of Tom Doolan's
poem "1 in 4".
The subject is always emotive - from various
points of view - especially as the suffering
takes many forms and claims many victims. Talking
- or in this medium: posting - can be very therapeutic. The exchange of information and
support is always a positive thing.
Keep writing!

Comment is about Dean Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Dean Carroll

andy n

Thu 17th Oct 2013 12:44

lovely, tom. the use of the first line is quite clever and builds really nicely. well done

Comment is about Fall Into Autumn (blog)

Original item by Tom Doolan

andy n

Thu 17th Oct 2013 12:44

blimely. excellent stuff, dave. keep encouraging him.

Comment is about The Autumn Season (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Richard

Thu 17th Oct 2013 11:37

Very nice all 3 :) congrats

Comment is about new poetry published (blog)

Original item by Andy N

Rose Casserley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:55

I would have thought the older you get,the more your cranial capabilities decline? trust you to defy logic(as this wonderful poem indicates Mr Harry)keep those grey waves rolling Mr O!..x

Comment is about (blog)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Julian (Admin)

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:50

Jude, thank you for a wonderfully written review which captures the spirit of our annual feast of poetry that the Poetry Jam has become.
Such quality indeed. A mighty thanks to all involved, including all the poets who really stepped up, those who came to listen so attentively; and I particularly want to thank Greg and Drew for the hard work they put in behind the scenes (offers of gofering help for next year welcomed).
Viva la poesia!

Comment is about Write Out Loud's poetry jam: an eye-opener for a reviewer (article)

Rose Casserley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:46

wonderful!(albeit sad)Paul.x

Comment is about Between The Hats (blog)

Original item by Paul Sands

sash

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:45

interesting n rather moving 8 d same tym!!

Comment is about Between The Hats (blog)

Original item by Paul Sands

Margaret Holbrook

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:43

I really enjoyed reading this, and it sends out a message of sadness and need. I particularly liked the lines 1-3, and the fact that there is no punctuation.

Comment is about Between The Hats (blog)

Original item by Paul Sands

Rose Casserley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:43

no sucking up to,or brown nosing,or expectancy of kindly payback-simply a most worthy dedication to a "fanfuckingtastic" poetess.

Comment is about Laura! (blog)

sash

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:35

simple n beautiful ann!!

Comment is about breathing (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Rose Casserley

Thu 17th Oct 2013 10:22

awwww thanks Doctor Whiteley!.I look forward to many more sessions on your metaphorical couch.x

Comment is about going to nowhere (blog)

Thu 17th Oct 2013 09:59

Extremely politically incorrect. Of course, political correctness is a transient function of the times we live in. In the Iron Age where this is set it would have been at the cutting edge of pc.

Comment is about "For These" said the father "Are The Things A Boy Should Know" (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 17th Oct 2013 09:55

I'd be rather disappointed if anyone didn't see that coming.

Comment is about Wtf? (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Laura Taylor

Thu 17th Oct 2013 09:20

Haha Ian - said it before, will say it again - separated at birth me and thee! ;D

Oh god, though! How awful for you! To have it knocked down :( Did you just stand there for a while, staring at the space, thinking 'It was here! Where is it?' :( I'd be well gutted. My old school got knocked down and a private housing estate got thrown up on the site. That kinda makes me sad cos I'd have loved the chance to burn the fucking place down myself ;)

Harry - I know you're being flippant, but you're right. Even the smell has changed in there. I'm going back today, and I will try to keep the contempt out of my face this time. The carpet though...that breaks my heart!

Comment is about The Demise of the Library (or, Xanadu Deceased) (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

satyajit behera

Thu 17th Oct 2013 02:49

thnq mam...i will follow ur advice and soon i will be available in blog section

Comment is about SATYAJIT BEHERA (poet profile)

Original item by SATYAJIT BEHERA

Harry O'Neill

Thu 17th Oct 2013 00:05

Laura,
When you were taking in those deep breaths, it was the smell of those old books that you were trying to re-cover, that lovely
nostalgiac smell...Oh, to be young again!

(not you - me)

Comment is about The Demise of the Library (or, Xanadu Deceased) (blog)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Harry O'Neill

Wed 16th Oct 2013 23:51

Cherish him Dave - the child is a natural rhymer -cherish him!

Comment is about The Autumn Season (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Harry O'Neill

Wed 16th Oct 2013 23:30

Gives me (without it saying it)a feeling of memento mori (It`s that last `unseen`)

I like that:
`The weight of our armour is now replaced
By the fat of too few battles fought`

Good.

Comment is about Going Back (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Wed 16th Oct 2013 21:16

Murders committed by mentally ill people are probably insignificant statistically when compared to murders committed by drug addicts and other criminals - though I admit to not having done any research on that. I just think that the newspapers make a big thing of them because they like a lurid story with a shock factor. They also like to play the blame game.

You can't keep every person with a mental health problem in hospital forever, just like you can't keep every criminal in prison forever. They have to do risk assessments - I suppose no-one can ever guarantee 100% never making a mistake with that though - cos you've no idea how changing circumstances might impact on a person. It's like all these tragic 'baby X's' that periodically are murdered - they put steps in place but someone always slips through the net, because people and systems aren't perfect.

I don't think we are really adding anything to this discussion now. One in four people suffer from mental illness - that's someone in every person's family - someone we all love - who wouldn't hurt a soul - yet potentially will suffer from all that stigma.

Good on ya Tom for writing about it.

Comment is about 1 in 4 (blog)

Original item by Tom Doolan

Wed 16th Oct 2013 20:50

Personally, I like to remember the lovely Vivienne
Leigh as "Scarlet O'Hara".
I enjoy watching faces when I scowl and exclaim
with some vehemence "Oh...F...iddle-dee-dee"!

Comment is about Wtf? (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Wed 16th Oct 2013 20:10

What happened here then?

Comment is about Head of Steam Station Bar (blog)

Original item by Graham Ramsden

◄ Prev 1 2 3 171 342 448 449 450 451 452 513 684 855 1026 1197 1368 1539 1702 1703 1704 Next ►