Ann Foxglove

Sat 21st Apr 2012 06:54

I love this John! It's truly wonderful!!! I expect the shelf was called Dorf or Tibalt or something. I love that about Ikea - all their furniture having names. Homebase should call their cupboards things like Gladys and Ethell imo.

Comment is about Ikea (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Ann Foxglove

Sat 21st Apr 2012 06:48

Hi Lucy - a very warm welcome to WOL. Hope you enjoy being part of our online poetry community!

Comment is about Lucy (Poet profile)

Original item by Lucy

Ann Foxglove

Sat 21st Apr 2012 06:45

Hi Phillip - a warm welcome to WOL. Glad you are taking part in the site. I agree with Yvonne about having a bit of a gap between poems on the blogs though, as the newest poem you put on there will seem to hide the previous one. Good luck with all your projects - you sound a busy bee :)

Comment is about Phillip Kelly (Poet profile)

Original item by Phillip Kelly

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 04:05

Such brill is worth a clap - well played, ta muchly Nick.

Comment is about The Newberry Dye-Pass Crossing AKA The Rules Of The Road. (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 03:58

A toughie when moggy passes-on, a member of the family is gone. Twisting words is always the hard work but not a task that we shall shirk. Including the stumbly bits, I thought it was good, ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about We're gonna miss that cat (blog)

Original item by Mark Mr T Thompson

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 03:50

Mustn't wash that spot on your cheek where the first kiss fell. I liked the notion of the [bottled kiss] helping out a bit.
Moving away from this particular poem for a mo, Keep the skills of writing poetry 'properly' this new stuff is wise, slick, witty but somehow lacks the necessary work to be more than unfinished! You stick with the proper stuff, like wot I does - ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about The Vapours (blog)

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 03:32

I tend to hop about a bit, so bear with me. Verse 4 rhyme scheme change to keep me on me toes! In V5, end of L1 is an unusual choice 'love mould' hyphenated possibly? V1 certainly captures the attention. Your V3 'bought entirely as sold' caveat emptor at its best. ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about Analysing Trust (blog)

Sat 21st Apr 2012 03:29

I look forward to your next poem but wait a couple of days or more before putting your next one up as this gives more members time to look at the current one. And as I mentioned earlier commenting on other's poems means they may look at yours and respond.

Comment is about Phillip Kelly (Poet profile)

Original item by Phillip Kelly

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 03:15

written from the hunter's viewpoint. short, punchy phrasing gives it a sense of urgency. a good pace, scoping for the spoils of flesh, no less. a good read, ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about Fishing For Fella's (blog)

Original item by Phillip Kelly

Sat 21st Apr 2012 03:11

I love the title and you've done it justice.
The style is a little bit brittle - many monosyllabic words - and this give the impression that the speaker is enumerating these instructions from a masculine point of view (not that I'm suggesting you try to think like a woman )
a sardonic observation of women's wiles and very enjoyable ( esp double entendre in verse 4) xx

Comment is about Fishing For Fella's (blog)

Original item by Phillip Kelly

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 03:01

This would be really brill on the mic! me thinks, one spot - after 'via council tax rises' I thought, that [each] criticizes' might slip in there more friendly-ish, just a thought though. Liked it lots, chow for now, Nick.

Comment is about I'm NOT A Misery (Honestly) (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Phillip Kelly

Sat 21st Apr 2012 02:55

excellent piece of writing, and one that provokes many viewpoints......i started reding it as a lonely man waiting excitedly in anticipation of a date, but then at the end, though that maybe he was waiting for lost love, a widower that has not yet accepted death of wife. superb imagery to depict the eerie scene at the end.!!

Comment is about Dinner Date (blog)

Original item by Nick Clifton

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 02:49

Not 'arf Peter, chow for now, Nick.

Comment is about The Hypocrites Vow (blog)

Original item by Peter Asher

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 02:48

Cheerful versitry from the master of sonnet. Again I am pleased to have read it. Alas I'm alive and shall read on till I die, and mostly with TT's name on it. ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about This is the poem (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 02:40

I told 'em - No need to go to classes, just read MC N for all the best history that's worth havin'. Captain Bligh had nowt on this lad! ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about NELSON WAS A NORFOLK BOY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 02:30

Hi JC,
A wonderful rendition of a 'Rusty Bedsprings' classic. Much loved and appreciated. chow for now, Nick.

Comment is about Ikea (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Phillip Kelly

Sat 21st Apr 2012 01:49

thanks.....i did actually have it down in journal as that.....just written it out wrong on here......

Comment is about Phillip Kelly (Poet profile)

Original item by Phillip Kelly

Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 01:48

Avast and behold me beauties, a slick wit ne'er won favour 'ere me harties! As if that's meant to be all deep and meaningful. The JC book of comic verse/song shall shine again shortly. I'm all ears, I keep them under me bucking hat. And as for that Yvonne person - she's the inspiration for such good 'nearly rhymes' broken shoken and irate pirate but that is an eye-rhyme. So more to come soon! chow for now, Nick.

Comment is about RE Cycle Thread (blog)

Original item by Nick Clifton

Sat 21st Apr 2012 01:31

Hi Phillip you have an interesting format here. It actually sounds good read aloud althought the metre jumps around.I'd prefer line 4 to scan as : 'Explain it's not him' as for me this places the emphasis on the word not in an easier flow especially as the next line places the stress on 'You'

Comment is about Phillip Kelly (Poet profile)

Original item by Phillip Kelly

Sat 21st Apr 2012 01:17

Now then Mr C. wots this 'shoken'
not a word I've ever heard spoken
was this aside merely a token
of the green-eyed god in your breast awoken?

Oh Mr Pirate of the crossing
Do you dream of nightly tossing
on your boat while sweetly dossing
After careful 'mental flossing?

Comment is about RE Cycle Thread (blog)

Original item by Nick Clifton

Mark Mr T Thompson

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:48

Hi Yvonne,

Thanks for your kind words.

I have grappled a bit with those lines.

They are awkward on the page, but in a way I feel that the awkwardness is apt in those stanzas. It kind of sums up the fact that there is a self consciousness to the emotions being expressed. I can sell the lines verbally, but not without the little changes of rhythm that show although the feelings expressed are sincere, I am a little embarrassed by them.

I might still change them, but the whole piece is pretty much as I wrote it on the day (Sunday gone) and I also like the fact I was very in touch with how I felt in the moment.

Mx

Comment is about We're gonna miss that cat (blog)

Original item by Mark Mr T Thompson

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:33

I see you are keen on Christmas too! xx

Comment is about I'm NOT A Misery (Honestly) (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Solar Winds

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:22

Thanks guys. Roll on August, when it's all over. Bah humbug! :)

Comment is about I'm NOT A Misery (Honestly) (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:13

A great rant.
Just lost a daughter and family to the great Aussie Dream. Was feeling quite jealous til she sent photos of the massive spiders and ants that have decided to become permanent uninvited guests. Blighty still has a couple of advantages... or maybe its just 1... or...
Pity they can't import a cane toad equivalent the only preys on NHS scroungers and folk who play loud music late at night!
Philip if the pension runs out we will have to have recourse to plan B = S.K.I.

Comment is about I'd like to be able to say (blog)

Original item by Philip Fletcher

Greg Freeman

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:10

Haven't had a chance to comment on many of your poems, Thomas. But just to say I liked this, like many of your others, very much.

Comment is about This is the poem (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Greg Freeman

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:08

Your best yet, John ... and I speak as one who loves the original, and its singer, very much indeed. A truly tragic story.

Comment is about Ikea (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Harry O'Neill

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:07

Tommy,
I take it it`s your `tip toes` that are taking you and the shoes to the bedroom door?

By the way, I love those last two lines.

Comment is about She lies sleeping (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Harry O'Neill

Sat 21st Apr 2012 00:01

Get it all out, Philip, get it all out!

Don`t let it fester, spread it around.

I haven`t enjoyed myself so much for ages!

Comment is about I'd like to be able to say (blog)

Original item by Philip Fletcher

Fri 20th Apr 2012 23:53

Oh my gawd. as an Ikea fan... I loved this.I'm still wiping the tears from my eyes. Hysterics or what?
Rather topical n'est-ce pas old chap?

Comment is about Ikea (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Fri 20th Apr 2012 23:46

Hi John
re Kushagarnie
Seems a good idea to me. A versatile song eh? both skipping and lullabye. Look forward to it

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Fri 20th Apr 2012 23:39

Hello Greg
Kind of you not to mention Black Sunday.
There was a lot of balls spoken about your 2nd goal. We didn't lose because it didn't cross the line; we lost because we didn't score six.

Comment is about Greg Freeman (Poet profile)

Fri 20th Apr 2012 23:03

Me again, Yvonne.
When you first posted this without the audio I heard it in my head not as a lullaby but as a skipping song. If I craptised it on the geetar perhaps I could post as an alternative for you?
Incidentally, the lullaby does it for me!

Comment is about Kushagarnie (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Greg Freeman

Fri 20th Apr 2012 23:01

Thanks for your knowledgeable comments on Duty, John. I wasn't going to mention last Sunday. We've had a lot of luck recently. It's going to run out some time.

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Fri 20th Apr 2012 22:42

What ho, Yvonne.
Im afraid my laptop gets PMT and goes all moody on me.
What I was trying to say was that A the G did loads of stuff n stuff n stuff like that but only gets remembered for burning the Xmas pud, whereas Nelson isn't quite as nice a fellow as we now think him to be but just because he saved the nation from sea invasion from the surrender-monkey froggies with their distasteful cheeses and surly waiters...
Ok - bad example. Maybe I need to think this through a bit more.

Comment is about Yvonne Brunton (Poet profile)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Fri 20th Apr 2012 22:26

Hurrah for the rainbows! A lovely sentiment expressed in a glorious way:- painting rainbows. Delicious. XX

Comment is about Day 7 (blog)

Fri 20th Apr 2012 22:22

A cunning construction. I had to count the zeros in the last line a couple of times to make sure you'd got it right but yes, bang on.

Comment is about I'm NOT A Misery (Honestly) (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Fri 20th Apr 2012 22:14

Hi, John
Your information about Nelson to MC ref:-'Nelson was a Norfolk Boy' is very interesting. I didn't know you had studied the Anglo Saxon period in its own tongue. Maybe relaying your information to MC in aforementioned language was a tad rich. May we have a translation please?

Comment is about NELSON WAS A NORFOLK BOY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 20th Apr 2012 22:12

Hi, John
Your information about Nelson to MC ref:-'Nelson was a Norfolk Lad' is very interesting. I didn't know you had studied the Anglo Saxon period in its own tongue. Maybe relaying your information to MC in aforementioned language was a tad rich. May we have a translation please?

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:40

Neat, TT. Very neat.

Comment is about This is the poem (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:31

Aaaarrgh!
......and is still only remembered for burning the cakes.

Comment is about NELSON WAS A NORFOLK BOY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:28

Interestingly Nelson's standing in his day was far from unanimously favourable. He had 99 prisoners of war executed in Naples and had over 50 of his crew flogged on one of his early commands. 18 other admirals refused to attend his funeral.
In contrast Alfred the Great built a Saxon navy to rival the Vikings', fortifed Wessex burghs as a land defence, defeated te Danes at Eingtn and pushed them ack into Delw, levied txesor building chuhes and

Comment is about NELSON WAS A NORFOLK BOY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:14

They don't write them like this anymore, Nick!
Lovely rhymes you got in there.
There could be a new thread here - I'm working on an Eddie Cochran classic at the moment "Bummer Rhyme Blues".

Comment is about RE Cycle Thread (blog)

Original item by Nick Clifton

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:13

Do I like this? Not half! xx

Comment is about The Hypocrites Vow (blog)

Original item by Peter Asher

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:11

Delicious, delightful, delovely, de one that got away. xx

Comment is about This is the poem (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:04

ooh Arr bit of a careless lad with his bodily parts wasn't he?
A merry little ditty!very enjoyable. where's the tune?

Comment is about NELSON WAS A NORFOLK BOY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 20th Apr 2012 21:00

Thanks for the lovely comment on The Newberry-Dye-crossing.
great info about the pub.
A wonderful bird is the pelican
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in that beak
Enough food for a week,
but I do not know how the Hell'e can. XX

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (Poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 20th Apr 2012 20:58

Thanks for the lovely comment on The Newberry-Dye-bypass.
A wonderful bird is the pelican
His beak can hold more than his belly can.
He can hold in that beak
Enough food for a week,
but I do not know how the Hell'e can. XX

Comment is about Richie Muster (Poet profile)

Original item by Richie Muster

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 20th Apr 2012 20:46

Last line says it all-
now get behind me!.xx

Comment is about I'm NOT A Misery (Honestly) (blog)

Original item by Rose Casserley

ray miller

Fri 20th Apr 2012 19:46

Thanks, Yvonne and Steve, very kind of you.I've not come across "love's detritus" before myself, but I'll take your word!

I had a What shall I do now? moment a few weeks back, Steve. I thought about sending stuff off to poetry mags. So I looked up a few and it soon put me off - they're all cutting edge, looking for challenging writing that pushes boundaries back and have their very own ethos. Probably a Mission Statement too. I can barely push the bed covers back and I don't know my PDFs from my attachments. So bugger that.

Comment is about The Vapours (blog)

J. Otis Powell!

Fri 20th Apr 2012 19:04

Greetings Joy: I'm writing to tell you that your dark Gnostic views pull me into your poems like philosophical bate. Sweet is the fragrance of a poet who smells of duende.
J. Otis

Comment is about Joy Claypool (Poet profile)

Original item by Joy Claypool

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 148 296 444 448 449 450 451 452 592 740 888 1036 1184 1332 1471 1472 1473 Next -->