Anthony Emmerson

Sat 4th Feb 2012 12:08

A rewarding glimpse through the kehole of the past Dorinda. (Not too far either - I well remember dolly-blue!) Supermarkets just don't have the character of their more intimate predecessors do they? Well done.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about The Woman in the Corner Shop (blog)

Original item by Dorinda MacDowell

Anthony Emmerson

Sat 4th Feb 2012 12:04

Thanks for posting this Helen. Not bragging, but fully deserving!

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Link to Poetry Kit 'Caught In The Net' # 97 (blog)

Anthony Emmerson

Sat 4th Feb 2012 11:59

Hi MC,

Obviously not the most positive or optimistic message in this one! Having said that, it does exactly what it says on the tin! If a writer can get his/her work to do that, then that's to be commended imho.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about MAKING DO WITH MISERY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

DG

Sat 4th Feb 2012 11:38

I can tell you that you would be lucky to sell many through amazon. Even when you don't self publish, if you're not a well known author, the only way they tend to sell is through people you know and going up to people at gigs you have read at and doing the hard sell on them. Most who buy through that channel probably won't read it. Print is sort of dying. You can speak to a local bar owner who has a performance space and do a book launch there and invite all your facebook friends.

Comment is about looking to publish (blog)

Original item by LEE JAMES BLUNT

andy n

Sat 4th Feb 2012 11:32

cheers guys..

G - i must admit i am particularly happy with the change mid pace in the piece - its almost like a change in gears and is something i am proud of in particular.

Jeff - cheers also - it's not a hard easy piece to read and i am proud of the way it came out.. as i know i have said already - it wasn't a easy piece to write but am very proud off it..

Comment is about Prologue to a final solution (Scenes from a film unfinished) (blog)

Original item by Andy N

DG

Sat 4th Feb 2012 11:26

Thanks all. Of all the mythologies and religions you can invoke in poetry as a setting, Satan worship is probably the most under-used these days and I've never understood why. It has far more relevance and atmosphere than the ancient greeks, romans, xtianity, islam and buddhism put together.

Comment is about Paradise ignored (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Wytchewoode

Sat 4th Feb 2012 10:51

Thank you Graham for your kind comments ... although I would add that this piece could also be taken metaphorically about 'lost' love generally and the mixture of feelings that accompany such loss.

My respect to you too...

Comment is about Ashes to Ashes (blog)

Original item by Wytchewoode

Isobel

Sat 4th Feb 2012 10:30

The title made me smile - I see you aren't one to talk in riddles or leave a reader pondering for meaning :)

I think I would have been tempted to turn the last verse into a question. Is it shameful time, to leave entwined, da da da da da da? Not sure about that last line though - would prefer something with more pathos.

Comment is about How dare a married male lover call his boyfriend a dick head (blog)

Original item by Richard Seddon

Rachel Bond

Sat 4th Feb 2012 09:02

thanks A. i really enjoy the commenting aspect of poetry reading and its always a good opportunity to write x

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Jeff Dawson

Sat 4th Feb 2012 08:01

Great writing Andy, real, hard hitting, difficult to capture true suffering in words but you've done a good job here. I've put together some chords which I hope you think capture the mood you want to create.

Original item by Andy N

Jeff Dawson

Sat 4th Feb 2012 07:55

Thought you seemed a bit different! Enjoyed this Manda and like the twist at the end (mind you the feeling sounds familiar), obviously seeing Joe Silva supporting the Alarm has taken it's toll! Good stuff X

Comment is about IDENTITY CRISIS (blog)

Original item by Manda Lee

dorinda macdowell

Sat 4th Feb 2012 07:34

I was delighted to read your comments about BB's corner shop! - and consequently very much encouraged to keep my pencil scribbling! (No, Bella Blenkinsop wasn't her 'real'name: our corner shop lady we called Auntie May - she must have been Auntie May to half the kids in the neighbourhood!) Thanks to you all!....D.

Comment is about The Woman in the Corner Shop (blog)

Original item by Dorinda MacDowell

Solar Winds

Sat 4th Feb 2012 01:12

That's very true Rachel.

I made him wait a couple of weeks, just to be annoying :) - then I lopped it off.

Rachel Bond

Sat 4th Feb 2012 00:43

i would not consider that hairism solar. protuding nasal hair has got to be unsightly on any kind of creature. yes the older we get the more hair we have to control. but of course we dont have to its personal choice. i choose to keep my hair where i want it and not where i dont. i certainly dont want big nose hairs albeit true that we all get em even the queen and lady gaga. besides hair removal does not have to be painful.

Solar Winds

Sat 4th Feb 2012 00:26

Hahaa, you make me laugh Isobel...scrapeovers...funny....why do they *do* that...we all know it's just a few strands...

I've just remembered an incident where I was the victim of hairism myself.. I was driving in the car with my other half and he goes 'Please get rid of that giant black hair that's growing out of your nose!!'. Facial hair on women is an age thing, I guess...and defo not deemed attractive (not that I know of anyway!!).

Rachel Bond

Sat 4th Feb 2012 00:24

ive heard friar tuck ws a very sexy guy...haha no i havent no one likes a tuck or a combover. im proud that you have never let your lips touch one of those beardie wierdies...yes bald is beautiful.but not too bald i dont like a shine. but hey im not fussy like!

zz top are an abomination!

yes crass were a very astute political awakening. it was in fact this song that inspired my hairy adolescent armpit rebellion. but i thought id add the bit about sexy sam and her bra strap cos i prefer that story x

Isobel

Sat 4th Feb 2012 00:22

Sometimes I can be opinionated in a very calm and dignified manner. Other times you can't really hear my opinions for the ringing in your ears!

Can't seem to get my profile picture to change - I'm giving up.

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Isobel

Sat 4th Feb 2012 00:16

Bald is good too - so long as it is all bald or very very close shaved - no Friar Tucks for me - or scrape overs.

Isobel

Sat 4th Feb 2012 00:10

I was having a joke with you Rachel - suggesting you didn't sleep with bearded men cos they kept you awake all night... soz - that's my crude Wigan humour for you.

Your video was a bit disturbing. I can remember when I was a child, the news showing images of Irish girls being shaved, tarred and feathered - for consorting with English soldiers.

To wade in on the hairy debate. I don't go for hairy men either. In fact I don't think I've ever kissed one even. I like it on the chest and back and everywhere else but not the face. I would never go for one and then expect him to shave it though. People should never be expected to change - they are what they are and should be loved or left.

Solar Winds

Sat 4th Feb 2012 00:01

You know Rachel, I've just had a thought...maybe we are all a little 'hairist' after all... When it comes to men, I defo have to have it, face, head and body. But there's a limit..don't wanna be getting anywhere near any zztop lookin' dudes face. Beard analysis on some of those long beardy guys would definitely throw up some exotic results! {{{{shiver}}}}

Isobel

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:45

I thought all my thought connections were pretty obvious in this, but maybe that's because I conceived it :)

Very many human lives are accidental, unplanned, initially unwanted even.

I mirrored this fact with the universal truth, that life on earth is also accidental, unplanned; exact conditions for a habitable planet being billions to one. If you are of a strong traditional faith, you may disagree with that concept - though I'm not saying there isn't a creator somewhere - dust and gas and metorites of ice had to come from somewhere - everything has to have an initial source.

One thing that links both sides of the mirror is that life can be wonderful - surprisingly beautiful - new unspoilt life, in particular.

Comment is about No. 4 (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Rachel Bond

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:40

solar we will have to agree to disagree here however we could compromise on the introduction of compulsory bush trimming :)

on a more serious political note:

Rachel Bond

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:37

? sorry dont understand. beardies have never been near my bed. although i have to confess to big love crush on one beard type in my embarrassing past. but i did cospire that as soon as i got him in my grasp i would shave it off much like delilah a woman after my own heart x

Solar Winds

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:34

I'm sorry but I have to stand up and defend the natural hairy bearded man here... Enough with the chest, back (and nether region) waxing already...it's just not aesthetically pleasing, if y'all know what I mean ;)

Isobel

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:32

So they were that good then?

Rachel Bond

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:30

absofuckinglutely. i am also very proud to state that i have never in my life slept with a bearded man :)

Isobel

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:27

So are you telling me that you would demand a man shaved his balls?

Rachel Bond

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 23:18

haha i think i got carried away a bit there i do actually like a hairy man too. fresh man pit sweat after bit of hard graft corrr its no secret that an addition of dirty engine oil to this dish is enough to drive a man weak woman mad, but i hve also heard of some strange requests from men for ball licking. euwwww hairy balls eeeeeuuuuwwwww no way never.

i defend the smoothe, smoothe like streamline, like satin,intelligent, clean, fresh and silky mmm

thanks for very evocative poetry, i am incorrigable.

Harry O'Neill

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:50

Ah be fair, Win, It was arse-icicle bloody freezin` out there.And -without a light - you never knew what was creepin` down the wall.

Give me a good, heart warmin`, soul satisfyin` shit in a warm house any day.

Comment is about DARK NIGHTS (blog)

Original item by Mike Hilton

graham robinson

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:24

What an enjoyable Poem to read (was it real)..Dorinda.?
We used to call our shop 'Harry's' cos that's what was written on it!.. on our Council estate, he was literally 'Open All Hours' a saviour.. a bit like Mr Arkwright on TV.. he sold everything you would ever run out of when you didn't want to run out of it...but sure as eggs he'd have it..from fresh eggs to paraffin for those (pre-central heating) heaters! and small pack of 1st Aid Plasters and needle and cotton to fresh bread and choc biscuits...'a bloody marvellous shop in those days! Thanks Dorinda for a lovely memory of yester year.

Comment is about The Woman in the Corner Shop (blog)

Original item by Dorinda MacDowell

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:17

'Ey up, Monkey. Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance". Be careful off my voice, though - it loosens knicker elastic.
(Of course, these days I've forgotten what to do then!)

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:14

Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance", Francine. It was a little off my beaten track.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:13

Hello Philip. Thanks for commenting on "Serendipity and Happenstance".
My daughter's take on it was less than flattering. "So these two kids will grow up with a mother 60 years older than them; they've got no father and they'll go to school and be nicknamed Happy and Dippy?"

Comment is about Philip Fletcher (Poet profile)

Original item by Philip Fletcher

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:10

Wotcha Dave. Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance".

Comment is about Dave Bradley (Poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:09

Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance", Ian. Ballads aren't my favourite vehicle normally but the simplicity of the form seemed to underscore the subject.

Comment is about Ian Gant (Poet profile)

Original item by Ian Gant

graham robinson

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:08

I like the ebb and flow too!...good metering..
Laying a loved one to rest and saying goodbye forever is never an easy to do..to see or to write about...but you have..and very well written.

My Respect - Graham Robinson

Comment is about Ashes to Ashes (blog)

Original item by Wytchewoode

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:05

Hello AE. Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance".
(Only just tumbled to the pun of "immaculately conceived".

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:03

Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance", Dorinda. I think the audio flatters it a bit - it's rather simple as a written piece.

Comment is about Dorinda MacDowell (Poet profile)

Original item by Dorinda MacDowell

graham robinson

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:01

.'..It bites my fingers and tightens my chest...but I am warm inside, my thermal vest...extra socks tonight- much to my delight-
Bring on the crunch-lets drink punch..I promise not to
fight-Now just turn off that light!

Nice succinct words Ms M..like the reference to 'bites my fingers' and 'warm inside' and 'extra socks'...(hope you don't mind me just playing around with some words)...

Comment is about Febuary (blog)

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 22:00

Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance", Harry.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:59

Thanks for your thoughts on "Serendipity and Happenstance", Philipos.
Your story reminded me of the Simon and Garfunkel song fro "Bookends", "Old Friends".
"How terribly strange to be seventy" - not so terrible now I'm nearly sixty!

Comment is about Philipos (Poet profile)

Original item by Philipos

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:56

Glad you liked "Serendipity and Happenstance". I did, infact, used to be on the radio - I'm on the sideboard now.

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (Poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:55

Glad you liked Serendipity and Happenstance.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (Poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

graham robinson

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:45

Hi Jack (I've always wanted to say that)...Great timing and rhythm and good metering in this Poem..I was almost taken back to those smoggy London/ Oliver Twist type Dickensian/Nell Gwynn and..Jack The Ripper times of brawls in dirty pubs and whores in doorways and hallways selling their 'fruits' etc.. etc..but the reference to Ben Sherman shirts? and mobile phones? took away the romance and mystery for me! brought me in to 2012 immediately...
But still a good poem Jack well written by you!

Graham Robinson/Poets Corner

Comment is about The Cock and Bulldog Inn (new and improved) (blog)

Original item by Jack Pascoe

winston plowes

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:28

Hi Ray, Thx for commenting on my quaverings. And for giving me something to think about. This line you mention "and mark my heart at dusk" was very much part of the imagery in my mind and was in fact one of the first lines. However reading again maybe you are right that in its evolution it has outgrown it and can now cast it off. Thx for the constructive crit. Win

Comment is about (Poet profile)

winston plowes

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:24

Hi Stella, Glad you liked the Quavering poem. More sophisticated than spanking perhaps but less direct for sure. Win

Comment is about (Poet profile)

winston plowes

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:22

Hi Mike, Glad you liked my Quavering, Win

Comment is about Mike Hilton (Poet profile)

Original item by Mike Hilton

winston plowes

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:21

Ah yes, I remember these well. I used to like the outside loo as a lad. Used to sit out there with the door ajar watching and admiring the rain. Can I say that? They seemed more hygenic and if you think about it (Although it is now the norm in our civilization) Do you really want to shit in the house? Nicely captured. Win

Comment is about DARK NIGHTS (blog)

Original item by Mike Hilton

winston plowes

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:16

Hi Larisa, I would like to know more about this varied and curious list. In what way did it come to life? There are elements of filling in a personal profile on a dating site. Win

Comment is about Rzhepicks (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

winston plowes

Fri 3rd Feb 2012 21:09

Hi Larisa, Thx xo much for looking at my latest offering.

I think Jazz is a lot like poetry in many ways.

Glad you liked it.

Win

Comment is about Larisa Rzhepishevska (Poet profile)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 145 290 435 446 447 448 449 450 580 725 870 1015 1160 1305 1439 1440 1441 Next -->