Sat 18th Aug 2012 12:11

Take note Lynn - two thousand years ago, the Greeks
were lambasting the youth of their day! Little changes.
I am intrigued by the frequent use on WOL of the term "right wing press", but rarely, if ever, any reference to the opposite. This seems to indicate an existing prejudice when expressing a view on emotive social subjects.

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Lynn Dye

Sat 18th Aug 2012 10:33

Thank you for your kind comment, Yvonne, and the further point you make.
Re the "feckless", I think if most of us stop and think of all the young we know, there are very few that deserve to be described thus. A friend of mine used to be a newsagent when the right wing press were rubbishing all students, and he often found himself talking to right press customers who were spouting all they had read, reminding them of all the students they knew in their village, including the ones that worked for him, and finally they would have to agree that they didn't actually know anyone who fitted this description.
I have come to the conclusion that papers like the Sun and the Mail should be renamed the Daily Poison and the Daily Vitriol.

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Lynn Dye

Sat 18th Aug 2012 10:15

Thank you, Stef, you are very kind. Either way, hehee. xx

Comment is about Abandonment (blog)

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Sat 18th Aug 2012 09:30

Delivered,albeit late-
one big dongering donger.

Would you like it in yer 'and,or
shall I shove it in yer letter box?

:O).xx

Comment is about Abandonment (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Sat 18th Aug 2012 01:03

Think this seems to be the way with a lot of things Chris, well written though to demonstrate the plight.

Thanx for comment on my 'Why dont you get a life' poem. Glad you like it, I am looking forward to performing it, it's my kind of live piece to perform. Cant say as I'm familiar with much of Betjemans stuff Chris but its nice to be mentioned in such circles! Cheers Jeff

Comment is about ABC (blog)

Original item by Chris Co

Kenneth Eaton-Dykes

Sat 18th Aug 2012 00:20

I'd like to be in your company for a couple of hours just to see if your stuff matches the personality. The sooner the better (for me) it's powerful enough now. you'll be too frightening in another twenty years.

Keep it up. Ken. PS. Don't think I've got another twenty years left in me. xx

Comment is about Hands (blog)

Original item by Joy Claypool

Katy Hughes

Fri 17th Aug 2012 20:55

thank you!

I love your poem "The Kiss" - especially the ending, it's gorgeous...

Katy

Comment is about Yvonne Brunton (Poet profile)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Katy Hughes

Fri 17th Aug 2012 20:48

thank you!

I love red hot and wild blue....very cheeky!

Comment is about Nigel Astell (Poet profile)

Original item by Nigel Astell

Katy Hughes

Fri 17th Aug 2012 20:45

thanks for your feedback - glad you liked!

I was hestitant about that one, as it felt a little clumsy

Katy

Comment is about Andy N (Poet profile)

Original item by Andy N

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 17th Aug 2012 19:47

great!

Comment is about Immortal (blog)

Original item by Katypoetess

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 17th Aug 2012 19:45

Nice one - nasty point made.

Comment is about Smokey Thoughts (blog)

Original item by hugh

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 17th Aug 2012 19:35

Well done on 42 virtuous years and an enjoyable poem.

Comment is about AUTOCRACY (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Fri 17th Aug 2012 19:30

Hello Yvonne,
The entries closed on the same night as the Olympic Closing Ceremony and the voting closes on 31st August as I will be away for the first half of September. Looking forward to receiving your vote.

Comment is about WOL Olympics Competition (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 17th Aug 2012 19:29

This is good the way you remind us of the other side of the coin - not all youth are 'feckless' ( cue comments about our young olympic heros)
I'll second you on your statement about more unemployed than jobs too, Lynn. From very recent personal experience trying to get agency work - the same job is advertised by many different agencies making it appear that there are loads of jobs out there when it is just not true and although the jobcentre says this is illegel it goes on and on and advisors at the job centres don't warn you of this they just click on these job ads and say (literally) there are hundreds of jobs in your field!
Well done on your poem I like it and the issues raised are important.

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 17th Aug 2012 19:07

Has the entries deadline passed? Not sure when that is/was. Are others waiting too in case we vote prematurely Greg?

Comment is about WOL Olympics Competition (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 17th Aug 2012 19:00

I take it that you mean -

'Baa, Humbug' ? xx

Comment is about Whinge and Fucking Bleat (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Nigel Astell

Fri 17th Aug 2012 15:49

From the cold grey stone to the clouds of setting sun - - - you just finshed the whole poem off so well.

Comment is about Immortal (blog)

Original item by Katypoetess

Kenneth Eaton-Dykes

Fri 17th Aug 2012 14:43

Hi Ted.

Apologies for not promptly replying and thanking you for the kind remarks made about a couple of my bits.

Noticed in your profile you've "been around"
somewhat. It's certainly done you good if your works anything to go by.
Good luck. Ken.

Comment is about ted clarke (Poet profile)

Original item by ted clarke

Jeff Dawson

Fri 17th Aug 2012 14:01

You're welcome Lynn, and you've got a further good point here! Thanx for comment on my latest Get a Life poem glad u like it! x

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

andy n

Fri 17th Aug 2012 10:26

different voice in the second stanza for me here, but i think it works still and two stanzas is about the right length on it.

i particularly like 'my leaden soul brittles, splinters then breaks' but it's a excellent piece.

good stuff

Comment is about Immortal (blog)

Original item by Katypoetess

andy n

Fri 17th Aug 2012 10:25

that's very you, Nigel - lol.

was great fun this piece again. i will defo be using the line i used in this again in the future but it is a lovely piece in my eyes.

cheers for posting it, John

Comment is about Stockport WoL August Collage Poem (blog)

Original item by J F Keane

andy n

Fri 17th Aug 2012 10:22

it's certainly one we haven't heard performed yet, tracey. maybe in the future - who knows but it's one we have enjoyed doing.

hoping we will be able to do a follow on sequence. i have sent something over to jeff to start something else so watch this space..

Comment is about The End of the Pier (Parts III and IV) (blog)

Original item by A Means to an End

andy n

Fri 17th Aug 2012 10:21

i like the changes in the first three stanzas here, Marianne from i to she to they.

this is a very clever piece and it's beauitfully paced.

wonderful.

Comment is about Scarecrow (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

andy n

Fri 17th Aug 2012 10:19

good stuff, tracy... a nice carry on from part 1.

particularly like stanza 3 but it's a good piece all round.

would defo like to see you read this sometime x

Comment is about THE Obsession of my desire ( part 2 ) (blog)

Original item by Tracey bucknell

Isobel

Fri 17th Aug 2012 10:11

Yes - that's the problem I always had Graham!

I think perhaps it seems like an awesome task, having to read and choose from 30 poems. I have tried to keep up with them but see there are far more up there than I have already read. Best get my reading glasses out...

Comment is about WOL Olympics Competition (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Fri 17th Aug 2012 10:00

Close to where I live there was land bequeathed to the catholic church in an old lady's will. The proviso was that it should never be sold for building. There are now lots of houses on it. The same thing applied to a hospital in the area - there were rules surrounding the use of the land - they managed to get round it though. Nothing is sacred in this age we live. Not school playing fields, not church grounds, not green belt. Where there is money to be made and back handers dished out....

Comment is about School playing fields: (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Jeff Dawson

Fri 17th Aug 2012 09:02

Turns out it's 30 school fields Tommy, i've signed an online petition.

Comment is about School playing fields: (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Jeff Dawson

Fri 17th Aug 2012 08:44

Great part 2 Tracey, a classic 'two sides to every story' situation! Highlights very well the unfortunate results of obsession, very well written again and brilliant response to part one of the other side of the story - like the way you've change the object of desire to be freedom in the last line, and in stanza one the other type of shroud! X

Comment is about THE Obsession of my desire ( part 2 ) (blog)

Original item by Tracey bucknell

Paul Maxey

Fri 17th Aug 2012 00:09

Nice one John,
The story of a fleeting hack set to a tune by Fleetwood Mac ?

Comment is about News of the World (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Lynn Dye

Thu 16th Aug 2012 22:38

Thank you Jeff, appreciate your kind comments.

What I find unacceptable is that the world's economic crisis is down to unregulated private banks creating money as debt, quite apart from their huge risk taking, as the tax payer ends up paying the bills. But as the banks hold too much power, the government picks on the vulnerable who cannot fight back.

MC, I take your point about open borders, but we are part of the EU so no easy answer there either.

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Thu 16th Aug 2012 21:38

I like this, Ann, even though I hate dogs. Good last line, although don't be fooled by that look - it just means they're about to break wind.
Also, glad you liked Assasseen. I do "creepy" so well!
I know what you mean about the apostrophe; it doesn't seem right on the ear even though grammatically it needs one somewhere.

Comment is about on adopting a rescue dog..... (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Thu 16th Aug 2012 21:16

Pithy and on the nail.
Hey - is that "smoothie" with the tie shown in a photo on the current WOL home page any
relation to the beach bum shown on your own profile page?
:-)

Comment is about News of the World (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Jeff Dawson

Thu 16th Aug 2012 21:13

Good stuff Lynn, like the way you've written this and like you can't see things getting much better, and as you say certainly no easy answer!

I work in benefits so have a good idea of whats going on across the board in all areas really. Its a juggling game and you cant please everyone. But in my opinion the current Govt, while having to save money are getting carried away with it. As usual working age people don't fare well. I can understand MC's point but think they are the minority.

Back to the poem, you've put yourself well in the young mans position, and very objectively, not biased, can feel the 'this is all i need to read but will' feeling, and its probably the last thing he would spend money he hasnt got on, nice one Jeff X

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

tracey bucknell

Thu 16th Aug 2012 21:07

hahahahha jeff.. it is psycho john Lmho..
seriously though..thank you for your nice comment, i'm glad you liked it :))XX

Comment is about The obsession of my desire ( part 1 ) (blog)

Original item by Tracey bucknell

Jeff Dawson

Thu 16th Aug 2012 20:58

I've been going out with a girl, her name is Julie, but one she said to me as we were watching tele! She said..... Reminded me a bit of the Jilted John single Tracey!

Seriously though, great writing and nice occasional rhyming in each stanza, Particularly like the twist at the end of the first stanza where the admirer snaps, great stuff! X

Comment is about The obsession of my desire ( part 1 ) (blog)

Original item by Tracey bucknell

Thu 16th Aug 2012 20:58

Then there is the great "unmentionable" of the millions from beyond these shores who have arrived here in the last couple of decades. What of them and THEIR many offspring when it comes to jobs? There are only a given number who bring enough money to live on & create work..the rest face the same task: waiting on others to "make" jobs to fill. Also - the emphasis on "uni" whilst ignoring society's need of essential trades & skills is another problem for a society that is now drowning in sheer numbers. There is no easy answer, as the situation elsewhere indicates, but I feel we have made a rod for our own backs when kids think they are managerial material by right! Meanwhile, we have to pay the bill while they realise the real world beyond the addled version of their inadequate parent(s) doesn't actually work (the operative word!) that way. No national borders is a dream of an idea but it comes at a cost that no one seems to have dared address in my lifetime and it now appears to be a one-way nightmare!

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Thu 16th Aug 2012 20:46

Thanx Tracey, glad you like the series, appreciate your comments, that was the mood we were looking for. We enjoyed writing half each, will include in our second book and may work on another. Not performed this yet or put any music to this but you never know! think it would go well. Thanx as always A Means to an End X

Comment is about The End of the Pier (Parts III and IV) (blog)

Original item by A Means to an End

tracey bucknell

Thu 16th Aug 2012 17:51

this is brilliant Jeff & Andy.... i really liked the desolate imagery it paints.. desolate, deep and nostalgic :) loved it xx

Comment is about The End of the Pier (Parts III and IV) (blog)

Original item by A Means to an End

Laura Taylor

Thu 16th Aug 2012 16:28

Ooo I do like this. Love the repetition of the somebody elses, with the twists on that,and those last two verses are absolute killer.

twilight throats of opal song,
loved in shapes of purple, oil and sun

that's some of the most beautiful imagery I've ever read by you.

Comment is about Scarecrow (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Lynn Dye

Thu 16th Aug 2012 14:19

Hi MC, of course there are some youngsters that don't want to get out of bed early and find work. I'm not disputing that, which is why I tried this write in story form to show that there is another side of the coin.

The lad with a childhood unable to study after looking after a mother on drugs. And even those that ARE working will be affected if they are on national minimum wage with a family to support. (I myself had been married 6 years by the age of 25 and hubby is the same age.)

We should not tar all our youth with the same brush. I found that particular report from the Mail as disgraceful and told them so as well in no uncertain terms!! It implied that Cameron himself had used the word "feckless" but I knew it was just their bias.

The fact is that the unemployed far outnumbers the vacancies for jobs, so at some point I think our nation needs to wake up and realise that there will never be enough jobs for the amount of people, and restructure our industries' working hours accordingly. I am not suggesting it would be an easy matter of course in the face of our economy but something should be happening at some stage before we have a whole generation of wasted youth.

There are no GOOD jobs in this area, (South East) but that's not to say there are none. (Low wage and non jobs, and vacancies you go after that actually tell you the position is for self employed, working only on commission of sales, i.e. no wage!)

I wonder how our families would be surviving in the north of England though?

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Thu 16th Aug 2012 14:05

Looking forward to this, I met Ash at Bang Said the Gun the other week where he was special guest and went with a bang! - top stuff! Looking forward to seeing him headline Bolton WOL, where he will have books with him to sell, not to be missed! Jeff

Comment is about Ash Dickinson at Write Out Loud Bolton on Sunday (article)

Lynn Dye

Thu 16th Aug 2012 14:00

Thank you for your comments, Stef. I love that song, it is a line from "Baba O' Riley. I would ask if this female blonde lodger has an age limit under different circumstances!! Ha ha.

Thank you so much, Laura, I'm glad you like it :)

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Thu 16th Aug 2012 13:47

Peter Stuyvesant was my fag
When young: I coughed up...what a drag!
Then I tried cigar and pipe,
(But they brought more stains I had to wipe)
In later life I now look back
At the messy rituals of "tabac".
I even drink fruit juice, not beer,
But I'm spending less and that brings cheer!

Like the "look back and wonder" sense that your lines evoke in my memory. The Lord loves a sinner!!
Cheers...

Comment is about AUTOCRACY (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

garside

Thu 16th Aug 2012 13:27

you should send this to a publisher - Magma or some such perhaps?

Comment is about Scarecrow (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Thu 16th Aug 2012 13:20

There is always a "plus" side.
My origins are in the south west of England - an area which, except for "tourism" -in decline since the time that "working class" families decided to head for the sun - and farming, has been an employment "blackspot". Yet none of my siblings' kids have failed to find work. An attitude that is willing to try anything and show flexibility helps! Sadly, too many have been encouraged to a "deserve it all - and now" mentality that is the sure path to disillusion and the creation of false hope BEYOND ABILITY OR APTITUDE. And how can those who
cannot see beyond the end of their beds be relied on
to create the work opportunities of the future?
How many of today's "benefits" youth would be ready and willing to get out of those beds at 5am for any job, especially one they think is somehow "beneath" them or which doesn't "pay enough"? I would like to be
impressed but......

Comment is about Downtrodden Youth (blog)

Margaret Holbrook

Thu 16th Aug 2012 10:26

Don't remember the brand names, but liked the poem!

Comment is about AUTOCRACY (blog)

Original item by Ian Gant

Dave D Poet Rhumour

Thu 16th Aug 2012 09:52

Cheers Lynn - glad you enjoyed it. :) Best wishes, Dave

Comment is about A Life Too Short (blog)

Original item by Dave Dunn

Dave D Poet Rhumour

Thu 16th Aug 2012 09:51

Thanks Lynn, glad you like it :) Best wishes, Dave

Comment is about Life's Towpath (blog)

Original item by Dave Dunn

Laura Taylor

Thu 16th Aug 2012 09:25

So - how did it go down then? Did anyone laugh at an inappropriate time? ;D

Comment is about Rumbled. (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

Laura Taylor

Thu 16th Aug 2012 09:22

Clever idea, and love the third verse

Comment is about medley (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

◄ Prev 1 2 3 151 302 446 447 448 449 450 453 604 755 906 1057 1208 1359 1508 1509 1510 Next ►