Fri 19th Apr 2013 19:35

Delicious. The opening six lines are a quality 'catcher', the hardest skill to hone.

Comment is about Virus (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Shirley Smothers

Fri 19th Apr 2013 17:59

Hi Larisa,
Thank you so much for the comment on my poem "I'm Not Perfect". I wrote this poem because I'm not perfect and I don't want to be. The many mistakes I've made have made me stronger.

Thanks
Shirley

Comment is about Larisa Rzhepishevska (poet profile)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Isobel

Fri 19th Apr 2013 17:38

Very sad and very moving Tom. especially for anyone who's been there.

'except those hands we gripped
would not grip back'

Those are hard lines to write about one's mother. John's right about the simplicity being powerful. A few words can speak volumes.

Comment is about As She Lay Dying (blog)

Original item by Tom Harding

Isobel

Fri 19th Apr 2013 17:30

Whether it was state or whether it was ceremonial is just a question of semantics - the point I'm making is that the tax payer paid for it - not the family - that gives the public cause to air their grievances and their thoughts - that is what is causing the controversy.

Comment is about St. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL - APRIL 17, 2013 (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 19th Apr 2013 14:05

cheers Tony.xx

Comment is about hiding sorrow (blog)

Fri 19th Apr 2013 13:19

Her view at the time was undoubtedly coloured by the deeds which are conveniently forgotten
as history takes charge. But, as the saying goes; those who never change their minds, never correct their mistakes.
Mandela knew enough to be seen with her in
later days in very amicable circumstances that
continued thereafter. He too was a politician,
after all.

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Fri 19th Apr 2013 13:07

Isobel, I don't doubt that the Lady wouldn't have been enthused by my reference to her as a "little old lady" -but, unlike her larger than life personality in her pomp, nature had certainly reduced her to that stature in physical terms - as it does all of us who attain great age. It's just a fact of life that serves as a telling contradiction between what she was and what she became as illness and age took its toll.
Correction: this was a ceremonial funeral. The funeral of that other famous politician, Sir Winston Churchill, was a STATE occasion. I was there and the difference between the two was (and is) obvious.

Comment is about St. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL - APRIL 17, 2013 (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:50

Thatcher called Mandela 'that grubby little terrorist' She used the Malvinas war to bolster sagging popularity- hey she did ok for her class.

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:50

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:37

Sadly, even in death mis-information is maintained.This was a ceremonial funeral NOT a stateoccasion. I was present at the STATE funeral of another politician - Sir Winston Churchill, planned under the operational title "Operation Hope Not" by the man himself - and the difference between the two was obvious.
As for Mandela's "foe" - cue the photograph of a clearly
delighted smiling Mandela shaking her hand outside
Number 10.
But I like the louche sardonic wit employed in the EM poem in question. Shades of "Private Eye".
Here's another - seen elsewhere.
"What is a socialist?
One who has yearnings
For the equal division
Of unequal earnings.
A dreamer, an idler - or worse,
All too willing
To put down his penny
And pick up your shilling."

Comment is about The Iron Lady's funeral blues poems (article)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:30

Chris - I do hope this finds you in improved health. It is no sin to look after number one when it comes to personal well-being!! I enjoy reasoned and polite differences of opinion, recalling a friend from long ago who held the view that "argument is for the vain; discussion is for gain."

Comment is about Chris Co (poet profile)

Original item by Chris Co

Nick Clifton

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:30

'Spent'
Not seen it yet.
tag it: A day in the life of comp
that should do the trick
don't forget to send your votes
chow for now, nick

Comment is about Noetic-fret! (poet profile)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:23

Harry hi :o)re 'Wandering expositions' the solitary 'where' (line 11) below is for effect; a conceit that acts as a pivot for the lines above and below thus: The 'where' is a conjunction and aims to puzzle/halt/amuse the reader for its solitude. And is indeed pivotal for the contrived nature of the final five lines.
Thank you for taking the time to consider the change.

''There are stand alone conjunctions
in hope that it amazes
where
in solitude it functions
in contrived schematic phrases. ''

Comment is about Harry O`N eill (poet profile)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:18

TC - thanks for the reminders about Clem Attlee. I have a book full of old press cuttings when he was opposing MacMillan's enthusiasm for joining the Common Market. His defence of the interests of the Commonwealth (as was) was admirable. I recall a witty poem - supposedly from his POV - which finished with his personal status -a Knight of the Garter, an Earl and OM. A neat and funny bit of "so there!!"Thatcher's achievements were more on the international stage - hence her fame and popularity beyond these shores. When diverse figures of the stature of Gorbachev and Mandela were both happy to visit and shake her hand then she was clearly doing something right in the world.

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:08

Nice one, JC.

To paraphrase an old song title..."The wrong is ended but the malady lingers on!"

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Nick Clifton

Fri 19th Apr 2013 12:06

Feelings running! Freedom of expression is ours to keep - they can't take that away, no matter what.
Hope you don't mind me mentioning that your line:
'but told to cow and bow in awe'
could be:
'but told to kowtow in awe'
from Chinese - probably me being 'picky' - ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about Class Action (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Harry O'Neill

Fri 19th Apr 2013 11:56

Tommy,
Why don`t you fix line eleven, stick another two lines on to it and make it a `with it` kind of sonnet?

It`s good.

Comment is about Wandering expositions (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Harry O'Neill

Fri 19th Apr 2013 11:43

John,
A robust and witty (and a musical) piece of
vigorous self-defence (mess with me at your peril!)

As a musical ignoramus (I listen and like the song, then forget the singer and the name of it immediately ) I note the way you use the songs.

listening to some of the `unchained` types of song (I can never think of their names) I wonder if the `run` of them would suit the
`freer` un-rhymed poetry?

Some them sound impressive when I listen.

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Harry O'Neill

Fri 19th Apr 2013 11:12

Julian,
I was very interested in this...It looks like Cynthia has paid her audience the respect of a careful preparation and a practised delivery. (not to mention the obvious quality of the poetry)

Having done - and heard - guest-spots, I was struck by your admiration of the `linked` nature of the set. Given that the poems read are often disparate in theme, I think it is very important to get some sort (any sort) of a link to string them interstingly together.

And what a wonderful setting!

Comment is about A voyage around her grandfather: Cynthia Buell Thomas at Sale (article)

Harry O'Neill

Fri 19th Apr 2013 10:54

Laura,

Thanks for your considerate disagreement.

You`re right about the word `underclass` I shouldn`t have used it. Until four factories in my road closed (with the loss of thousands of unskilled jobs) and the closely-packed streets of terrace houses knocked down and replaced by a playing field and a sparse new estate. The vast majority of that so-called under-class had been working and contributing to the economy.they didn`t abandon employment. employment abandoned them (and fobbed them off with benefits) A truer name for them would be `The abandoned class`.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Fri 19th Apr 2013 09:58

Bonny, you're my Best groupie. I need to acquaint you with your full range of duties.

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Laura Taylor

Fri 19th Apr 2013 09:52

Excellent - will get a copy when I can afford it.

I have page envy - you're all going to be nestling in besides Leonard, and Maya, and Joni! Well done everyone :)

Comment is about Write Out Loud poets line up with famous names in Heart Shoots charity anthology (article)

Fri 19th Apr 2013 00:35

Clement Attlee's achievements

Dates in office
26 July 1945 - 26 October 1951
Political party
Labour

Major acts

National Health Service Act 1946
Made healthcare free on the basis of citizenship and need rather than the payment of fees or insurance premiums

National Insurance Act 1946
Introduced social security, in which persons of working age had to pay a weekly contribution and in return were entitled to a wide range of benefits when they could no longer work

Coal Industry Nationalisation Act 1946, Electricity Act 1947, Transport Act 1947
Nationalised the coal industry, electricity utilities, railways and long-distance haulage

Town and Country Planning Act 1947
Planning permission now required for land development; ownership alone no longer sufficient

Children Act 1948
Established a comprehensive childcare service, reforming services providing care to deprived and orphaned children

Nurseries and Child-Minders Regulation Act 1948
Paid child-minders now registered and regulated; inspection regime in place to check their methods and facilities meet basic minimum standards

National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949
Allowed the creation of National Parks and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty in England and Wales, gave the public rights of way and access to open land

Interesting facts
Nationalised one fifth of the British economy.

Margaret Thatcher's achievements
Dates in office
4 May 1979 - 28 November 1990
Political party
Conservative

Major acts

Housing Act 1980
Gave security of tenure, and the right to buy homes, to tenants of local authorities and other bodies.
...that's all!

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 19th Apr 2013 00:24

How much of the £10 million was for protecting our monarch who attended the funeral?
Ps - enjoyed the poem and the observation at the end.

Comment is about £10 million for this? (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

steve pottinger

Fri 19th Apr 2013 00:24

Blimey. M.C. I hadn't realised the whole charade was a tawdry marketing gimmick.

Has anyone told the Daily Mail? They won't be happy...

Comment is about £10 million for this? (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 19th Apr 2013 00:21

Damn! and I thought I was your biggest fan!

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 18th Apr 2013 23:57

Clement Attlee(1945-51) v Margaret Thatcher(1979-90)

For them that scratch-their-heads the following Labour V Thatcher achievements:

Comment is about Schadenfreude (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 18th Apr 2013 23:25

@Julian: what good things (plural mind)did she do?

Comment is about £10 million for this? (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

Thu 18th Apr 2013 23:03

Very powerful in its simplicity, Tom.
There are things that words are not capable of describing.
Sympathies.

Comment is about As She Lay Dying (blog)

Original item by Tom Harding

garside

Thu 18th Apr 2013 22:26

sorry we couldn't be there Cynthia - we did wish to meet with you though - another time perhaps?

Comment is about CBT in Sale on Tuesday (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

garside

Thu 18th Apr 2013 22:09

a statue of thought

Comment is about Virus (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Tom Harding

Thu 18th Apr 2013 22:04

another beautiful poem- pure and simple

Comment is about summer wine (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

Tom Harding

Thu 18th Apr 2013 21:59

i like the beautiful simplicity of your poetry very much indeed...

Comment is about sweet inheritance (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

Thu 18th Apr 2013 21:36

arisa,
I think that is what people mean when they throw things at me when I sing!

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 18th Apr 2013 21:34

Enjoyed this, Steve.
As a democrat (albeit left-of-centre) I have difficulty with the fact that we elected her 3 times.
It would be a mistake to assume the constituency of we poet-y types reflects the constituency of the nation.

Comment is about £10 million for this? (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Thu 18th Apr 2013 21:29

You shouldn't be a singer to express your feelings.
Your strong voice is in your poetry.

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Isobel

Thu 18th Apr 2013 21:03

I can appreciate the sentiment of leaving families to grieve in peace without vitriol.

I think the controversy became inevitable as soon as the funeral became a state one though. It was according Margaret Thatcher with a respect and prominence that many could not accept or agree with. In principle, I, and many others think it is wrong to pay for the funerals of any political figures, whatever party they belong to.

I see what you are saying about mortality MC - death brings us all low. I can somehow never see Margaret Thatcher as a 'little old lady' though - and I think that's something she'd be glad about.

Comment is about St. PAUL'S CATHEDRAL - APRIL 17, 2013 (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:35

Thankyou, Larisa. You will realise, of course, that I am definitely NOT a singer!

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Ian Whiteley

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:35

:-0)
naughty ...... but nice John

sits back and waits...........

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:33

Nice words, nice song. It reminds me Russian fork songs.It was pleasant to listen to it.“If you can’t say it’s nice then say nothing at all”. It is nice, by all means. Best wishes, Larisa

Comment is about My Biggest Fan (When You Say Nothing At All) (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:29

...and true, Yvonne.
The experience of meeting Tony Blair was informative.
He was introduced to me and asked me something. As I was answering I could see there was no-one at home. I couldn't blame him; he was dealing with international crises, economic issues. He looked totally shagged out.
5 minutes later he went outside for a press statement and as soon as the cameras rolled he transposed instantly into totally animated, switched on Tony.

Comment is about Yvonne Brunton (poet profile)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:24

...you may enjoy my latest!

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:23

Many thanks for your thoughts on "Here's My Tits..."

Comment is about mike watts (poet profile)

Original item by mike watts

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:22

Many thanks for your thoughts on "Here's My Tits..."

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:21

Glad you enjoyed "Here's My Tits...". A true story I thought I had forgotten until recent events brought back the memory.

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Thu 18th Apr 2013 20:20

Hello Greg,
Glad you enjoyed "Here's My Tits..." It was true as well!

Comment is about Greg Freeman (poet profile)

Julian (Admin)

Thu 18th Apr 2013 17:46

Thank you all. I am fairly sure that's Gray's elision, not mine, Tommy. The words 'the boast of heraldry... ...to the grave', are from Gray's Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard. Should have attributed rather than assuming. Mea culpa (Latin for banged to rights/soz, I think).

Comment is about We have become a dead grandmother (blog)

Original item by Julian Jordon

Julian (Admin)

Thu 18th Apr 2013 17:39

Gnomelessness

Know gnomes?
No, know no gnomes.
No? No gnomes to go to?
No, know no gnomes.
Known gnomes?
No! Know no gnomes,known no gnomes!
No! Know Nanette.

Comment is about Poetry workshop: Ten things you never knew you knew (article)

Julian (Admin)

Thu 18th Apr 2013 16:57

Me too, Steve. I had not thought of that, the cremation bit. I don't want to speak ill of the dead but I do object to this hijacking of her funeral by desperate Toryboys, and particularly the cost in a time of austerity and cuts in benefits and obscenities such as the bedroom tax.
I do believe she did some good things (shock horror!) but unfortunately warmed to her theme. And how the hell can you have s state funeral for a corrupt prime minister who used her office to curry financial favours for her son (I believe one deal earned him £10m, ironically. He should have been arrested on his arrival and made to pay for this lot himself. Instead the Tory press are now touting her granddaughter (we have become a granddaughter) as Maggie's possible dynastic heir, because she read nicely in church. It's like something out of Life of Brian.

Comment is about £10 million for this? (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

winston plowes

Thu 18th Apr 2013 16:22

I thought that this was a great interview. Good questions answered in a way that means I now have a great insight into the thought processes and artistic method of this writer whos work I will now search out. Thankyou Francis / Sean.

Comment is about The Write Out Loud interview: Sean Borodale (article)

◄ Prev 1 2 3 163 326 446 447 448 449 450 489 652 815 978 1141 1304 1467 1625 1626 1627 Next ►