Dave Bradley

Sun 27th Oct 2013 17:17

Interesting. Nice use of words and flow to the poem. And yes, done it. Sometimes. But only sometimes.

Comment is about If You Don't Like The Record -Change it! (blog)

Original item by Steve

Dave Bradley

Sun 27th Oct 2013 17:14

Fascinating. Unusual. Compelling. Had to read it again out loud, slowly. The perfect poetic companion to my recent reading, Francis Spufford's 'Unapologetic'.

Comment is about BLANKETY BLANK SLATE (directed infant rage 2012) (blog)

Sun 27th Oct 2013 16:31

But - what kind of poems is this lady reading - to use the pronoun 'much' instead of 'some'. It does seem from that one word, that the review must be a severely slanted one. And I do think that 'God's Glory' is manifestly revealed in 'much' poetry that does not wave the specific 'Christian' flag. So said, by all means greatly enjoy a specifically targeted collection. I often do myself. Just don't make it sound uniquely 'God's-glory' possessive.

Comment is about Book Review by Ellen Tanner Marsh: Reaching Towards His Unbounded Glory (blog)

Original item by Joseph J. Breunig 3rd

Sun 27th Oct 2013 16:17

Great posting and a pleasure to read. It rolls along, keeping the reader in a smiling nostalgia. I best liked the first two stanzas and the last one. IMO, you could probably do without the morallising one, Stanza Three, which is a bit of a mood dampener. But true enough, and it's your poem.

Comment is about Remembered Hallowe’ens of Childhood (blog)

Original item by C Richard Miles

Sun 27th Oct 2013 15:42

Thanks for the comment about "The Political Poet".
I had commented on the work of certain WOL
contributors insofar that I sought to show there
were differing points of view to a stance taken
by them - and found myself consigned to the
category of "troll" and told to remove myself
from their sight (or words to that effect).
My short poem was a response to an attitude
that brooked no argument or alternative point
of view...clearly only interested in approbation and applause for a pre-set POV.
I enlarged upon that later in another short poem that finishes...
See the open hand reach out,
A closed hand is a fist.
The open mind makes room for doubt,
A closed mind will resist.
....................................

Comment is about Joseph J. Breunig 3rd (poet profile)

Original item by Joseph J. Breunig 3rd

Sun 27th Oct 2013 15:40

It is certainly very interesting, and challenging in the precise diction selected to cover so much relativity in symbolism. It demands multiple readings. And that is only a good thing.

Comment is about Crest (blog)

Original item by Katypoetess

Sun 27th Oct 2013 15:30

I've loved music - with a few exceptions which
shall remain nameless - for much of my life.
Indeed, I write songs, some of which feature
here and elsewhere. I came to adolescence in
the 50s - young enough to thrill to the daily
change in songs in the Top 20, with hits that
are "classics" of their kind now - but also old
enough to see what a singer like Frank Sinatra was about. He stayed with me through the years
- and his many recordings as his breathtaking (literally!) skills developed will never date.
He had - and will continue to have - something
for every generation as it grows to maturity.
The joy of music is, of course, its amazing
variety - and I thank my lucky stars for it.

Comment is about Top Ten Non-Movers (blog)

Original item by Dean Carroll

Sun 27th Oct 2013 15:28

Sock it to world. Yes! Great theme and well presented. Great choice of title -maybe because it can also be ambiguous.

Would you consider 'Slow down'?

Comment is about If You Don't Like The Record -Change it! (blog)

Original item by Steve

Sun 27th Oct 2013 15:25

I enjoyed reading this. The enterprize sounds worthy. PagevsPerformance is such a lark. IMO, the only aspect of this debate worth discussing is Spelling and Punctuation which means nothing in recitation, and rather more to the reader. Otherwise, what is the difference?

Comment is about Selling spoken word: reasons to be cheerful at Burning Eye (article)

Sun 27th Oct 2013 15:18

A useful code for getting by! But it takes nerve
to change direction and that isn't always easy.
No wonder so many poems moan about what IS - rather than what COULD BE.

Comment is about If You Don't Like The Record -Change it! (blog)

Original item by Steve

Sun 27th Oct 2013 15:15

Graphic and succinct. We all meet our inner
demons at some time or other and have to fight
the good fight - not always easy.
Otherwise, allowing for the random upper and lower
case use of the wording, a couple of typos.
"Its harder..." should be "It's harder..." - and
"too grow" should be "to grow".
Cheers.

Comment is about Inner Demon (blog)

Original item by Tj Steele

Gray Nicholls

Sun 27th Oct 2013 12:12

thanks for the comment over what next, tommy.

yeah, i guess it is kinda song like. if i get a punk band together - i would defo sing it, or maybe pass it onto a friend.

thanks either way. the revolution will happen!

Comment is about What next? (blog)

Original item by Gray Nicholls

Gray Nicholls

Sun 27th Oct 2013 12:11

thanks for the comment over what next, tommy.

thanks either way. the revolution will happen!

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

andy n

Sun 27th Oct 2013 12:07

know both norman and gemma so am pleased to see this is still carrying on. good stuff!

Comment is about Ringing the changes at Write Out Loud Middleton (article)

Thomas J Steele

Sun 27th Oct 2013 11:21

Hi Dave, thank you for the comments on One Million Broken Souls, its very much appreciated. I found myself in that situation when I was young, it didn't last long though. Three weeks on the street was long enough for me, it was a real eye opener though. Again, thank you for the comments, I hope this finds you well.

Comment is about Dave Bradley (poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

barrie singleton

Sun 27th Oct 2013 09:27

Well - neither of those poems would have been written had you not set me a challenge. (Now tell me to tidy my home!)
Sadly, I suspect the energy comes from infant rage, redirected - another human paradox.
I am glad you write only when passion dictates. At our Workshop, we use the term 'toothpaste job' for a poem 'squeezed out' to a set theme. It usually shows! Off now, to kill some windmills . . .

Comment is about RENEWAL (blog)

Isobel

Sun 27th Oct 2013 08:57

That's more like it Barrie - and all with such wonderful metre!

It's the way we conquer illness that I find staggering - things you'd never have survived even a couple of years ago. A great thing for our loved ones - not so great for the planet and the human race in general.

I wish I had your energy. Writing poetry can be a tortuous exercise for me unless I'm in a passionate mood.

Comment is about RENEWAL (blog)

satyajit behera

Sun 27th Oct 2013 04:55

thank u sir...yeah love happens only,when n how we cant tell...and we cant force others for this also

and love itself says die for other...only thing is we fear to be lonely

Comment is about Love or Lie (blog)

Original item by SATYAJIT BEHERA

satyajit behera

Sun 27th Oct 2013 04:51

ok mam...actually i am quiet busy now on my academics so unable to giv proper attention here..i will take care of ur advice

Comment is about SATYAJIT BEHERA (poet profile)

Original item by SATYAJIT BEHERA

Noetic-fret!

Sun 27th Oct 2013 04:43

Your son and I have a lot in common, for I too like to play my favorite bits of trax over and over again. I like to play techno or drum and bass, but sometimes I play classical music too when the neighbors have tired of me. Tell your son he is as normal as me, and i was once normal enough to be a soldier.

Fantastic words, fantastic insight into someone that many do not know a lot about. He sounds quite a kind chap, brave too. And obviously with these words, full of love to give.

Tell him an old soldier has a smile on his face because of his words, and pass on my love too.

Brilliant!

Comment is about Comfort in patterns (blog)

Original item by Ian Beckett

Noetic-fret!

Sun 27th Oct 2013 04:22

to love is to cry,
to live is to die,
heart races
death stops nothing at all,
even the brightest days
follow night follow day follow night
an experience?
More than that, life!

Comment is about You may kill me (blog)

Original item by Irina Sunrise

Noetic-fret!

Sun 27th Oct 2013 04:06

Yup, truly astounded by this one. I like the last stanza the best. 'there will be the lateness, the loneliness, the dark, the deafening quiet, and the unanswered hope. I curse the morrow........I need the morow.

Brilliant bit of writing.

Keep posting

Best wishes,

Mike

Comment is about PRISONER BY CHOICE (blog)

Original item by Dr. Joe Simplicio

Noetic-fret!

Sun 27th Oct 2013 03:55

Hi Satyajit, I was initially a bit concerned with the frequent reference to disease, but having read the last line it all made sense. I said this to emmy92 as well; It's like resignation to ones love, that, even though you may lose something of yourself, you are giving in to the demands of others because of love. It speaks of unconditional love in all honesty, but a love that cannot be returned.

Good piece of writing, better than my own. I hope my words here made sense, i appear to be going through a kind of block at the moment.

Keep writing and keep posting. Nice one.

Mike

Comment is about Love or Lie (blog)

Original item by SATYAJIT BEHERA

Noetic-fret!

Sun 27th Oct 2013 03:44

Aye, emmy! A sad poem but a good one. The last line is so poetic when backed up with the other lines. Like a kind of resignation. You're resigned to your fate even though you may lose again.

Brilliant.

Mike

Comment is about Take me away (blog)

Original item by emmy92

Joseph J. Breunig 3rd

Sun 27th Oct 2013 03:31

Cute and soooo true; it's sad that many negative reviewers waste their time writing abusive feedback and that of the original poster; well-thought-out feedback of an opposing viewpoint is always welcomed - when it's done respectfully; nicely conceived.

-Joe Breunig,
Reaching Towards His Unbounded Glory

Comment is about THE POLITICAL POET (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Mr Dean Carroll

Sun 27th Oct 2013 02:45

Many thanks for your comment on the Devils Box. It originally started off as a song lyric for a novel I was writing, but realised it would work better as a poetry piece, with a few choice alterations. Anyway keep on writing and cheers

Dean

Comment is about Tj Steele (poet profile)

Original item by Tj Steele

barrie singleton

Sun 27th Oct 2013 00:52

Still no cigar? Oh well, I enjoyed the challenge. Thanks Isobel.

Comment is about RENEWAL (blog)

Sun 27th Oct 2013 00:18

I could imagine this work being sung at speed, with the chorus 'what next' given space between the verses. Tommy ' the angry red fist of revolutionary fury ' Carroll :)

Comment is about What next? (blog)

Original item by Gray Nicholls

barrie singleton

Sat 26th Oct 2013 23:42

I thought it was PROmotion Isobel! (:o)
I might have got my 'man' and my 'mankind' mixed up. Exceeding our alotted span has certainly thrown a spanner in the works. And countries that still select (one way or another) for boys, are well up the creek. "Man's refusal to die" has a ring to it."
Sorry about the scrote, but the Y chromasome is a knackered X apparently.

Comment is about DEAR DIARY (Mother Nature) (blog)

Sat 26th Oct 2013 22:59

Katy,thank heaven there are poets like you on here who can write REAL poetry.This is BRILLIANT!!!!xx

Comment is about Crest (blog)

Original item by Katypoetess

Isobel

Sat 26th Oct 2013 22:56

Lol - perhaps you should rename it 'Evaporation' ;)

Comment is about beyond the storm path (blog)

Original item by michelle marek

Isobel

Sat 26th Oct 2013 22:54

You knock these out very fast Barrie - and to order - I'm very impressed with your tight structure and rhyme!

You seem very hooked up on the gender battle though. When I suggested a poem through the eyes of Nature, raging against the excesses of human life, I was thinking more along the lines of man's refusal to die and the resulting over population of the planet.

Still - if you want to demote yourself to a scrote, who am I to argue? ;)

Comment is about DEAR DIARY (Mother Nature) (blog)

Sat 26th Oct 2013 14:24

Barrie -(''26th'' my cousin Ron's birthday-)+ ''They let you live''? some explanation BS :)

Isobel - You got it in one- I added the stanza re 'ask a ''chap'' ' lol in order that the work was to be read in that manner-incase I had to over-egg that particular point.

Comment is about How to tell a joke -Advice given to a Lady- (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

barrie singleton

Sat 26th Oct 2013 14:04

Synchronicity lives! But first I just want to say: I took a look at your titles and Ned appealed. I have worked with a broad Yorkshireman and remember all those quirks. he would say: "Wait while I come with you" or "D'y want owt?" So I found the 'simple' title led to a 'simple' poem and I was well satisfied.
Synchronicity: I had just finished writing a poem in which I used 'scrote'. As I scrolled down to the comment box, the word 'scrote' (Thurmaturgically Charged) jumped out! The Force is strong.

Comment is about Uncle Ned (blog)

Original item by Cate

Sat 26th Oct 2013 13:51

This is more like it.
Accentuate the positive - and keep the faith!

Original item by Joseph J. Breunig 3rd

John F Keane

Sat 26th Oct 2013 13:30

Let's hope this guy wins, at least he represents an authentic leftist perspective. Why on earth a working class person would ever vote for Diane Abbot baffles me. Didn't she send her kids to private school? Long live the revolution, lol...

Comment is about Poet Tim Wells to stand as Class War candidate at general election (article)

Isobel

Sat 26th Oct 2013 13:27

In order not to waste endless energy, I decided this had to be a satire, sending up man's own ignorance and arrogance :))

Comment is about How to tell a joke -Advice given to a Lady- (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Laura Taylor

Sat 26th Oct 2013 13:02

Brilliant!!

Auden was talking out of his arse - poetry creates a sense of solidarity, and that has consequences that makes things happen. No poem ever walked into Parliament and changed laws, that's not how it works.

I'm made up to read this article - nice one Greg!

barrie singleton

Sat 26th Oct 2013 12:33

Today is the 26th! They let you live?
"Remember to breathe" - works for me. (:o)

Comment is about How to tell a joke -Advice given to a Lady- (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

barrie singleton

Sat 26th Oct 2013 12:30

For me, Tommy, ze var iss ofer. Thanks for enlightenment re Traven - I can either do Mastermind and get that one right, or just die with more info!

Comment is about SWITCHED ON (blog)

Sat 26th Oct 2013 12:19

"Light-bulb? We ain't got no light-bulb. We don't need no light-bulb! I don't have to show you any stinkin' light-bulbs!"

Apologies to B Traven

Comment is about SWITCHED ON (blog)

barrie singleton

Sat 26th Oct 2013 11:12

That'll do nicely Bella. Rage against the damage man has done to life and planet from the angle of Ma Nature - mmmmmnn. May I throw in a WoeMan or two? Their guilt is large although we men LET THEM DO IT. (Two wars, spaced one generation apart, massively implicated.)
Oh YES! Harry dun good. Nailed the whole thing. What a star! Thanks.

Comment is about RIGHT OF THE UNCONCEIVED (blog)

Isobel

Sat 26th Oct 2013 10:57

LOL - okie doke - I'll blow you a very un-poetic kiss then x

You'll have to do a rage against life poem one day - written through the eyes of Nature and exploring man's dogged determination to live and strangle the life out of this planet....

See? The only way I'll ever really button up is to rip my own tongue out!

Getting back to the poem above, I do love Harry O'Neill's comments on this too - worth reading after you've read the poem, peeps.

x

Comment is about RIGHT OF THE UNCONCEIVED (blog)

barrie singleton

Sat 26th Oct 2013 10:48

Oops! Really no intention to come over as a terminator Isobel! Just showing my ignorance (not for the first time) of WOL protocol.
Buttons do not suit Cinderella. (;o)

Comment is about RIGHT OF THE UNCONCEIVED (blog)

Isobel

Sat 26th Oct 2013 10:27

Stacks of our comments on this site aren't about the poetry Barrie - because thoughtful poems just inspire thought.

I'm happy button up now though :)

Comment is about RIGHT OF THE UNCONCEIVED (blog)

chris stevenson

Sat 26th Oct 2013 08:46

.. howdo and thanks for the comment. The poem was more disjointed to reflect a 15 month girl in her first shoes, but tidied it up a bit .. I see you list 'Jeffarama'. I did a couple of songs last night at the Cadence cafe and bought his new book off him. He signed it so it's now worth more !! Very good too.

Comment is about Marksy (poet profile)

Original item by Marksy

michelle marek

Fri 25th Oct 2013 23:52

I had written this while sitting inside listening to the rain outside. thank you rain for my inspiration.

Comment is about beyond the storm path (blog)

Original item by michelle marek

barrie singleton

Fri 25th Oct 2013 23:36

Big subject Isobel. It is hard to get much of a perspective in the span we encompass. Agreed, Nature is basic and single minded - continuation of the gene-line. Nature carries out more abortions than any other agency! And then hammers the survivors with a range of debilitating and lethal impacts. Any moment, some puritan might notice this is not a poetic discussion. Should you want to email I can easily be found. Culturally yours. (:o)

Comment is about RIGHT OF THE UNCONCEIVED (blog)

Isobel

Fri 25th Oct 2013 23:23

Nature is a cruel beast :)

I happen to think that men aren't physically or psychologically programmed to stay with one partner for life. Society demands it though, and many do, though it's probably the source of great internal restlessness for them.

Can you imagine what our society would be like if Nature was allowed to dominate? Unthinkably bleak for women :(

Comment is about RIGHT OF THE UNCONCEIVED (blog)

barrie singleton

Fri 25th Oct 2013 23:15

Total acceptance of your reservations Isobel. I think I have posted before that I ask: "What would Nature do?" This leads me to the dangerous assertion that "Nature loves stereotypes!" I never bought 'equality' only equivalence. Culture must reinforce Nature for a sustainable continuum. We have got all muddled up with 'growth' and 'progress'; consolidation and stasis look better to me.
I see a dipole of cleverness and wisdom (probably yang and yin respectively); we are way up the clever end. I think I have 'of Beds' on my profile list - I wrote it when the when the realisation struck that I - as a proven inventor - am just the sort of person who restlessly forges ahead DAMAGING THE EARTH AND ITS LIFE-FORMS. Mea culpa.

Comment is about RIGHT OF THE UNCONCEIVED (blog)

Original item by Barrie Singleton

◄ Prev 1 2 3 171 342 446 447 448 449 450 513 684 855 1026 1197 1368 1539 1704 1705 1706 Next ►