Baarbaara Sheep

Thu 7th Jun 2012 14:59

Awesome, great poetry, great story

Comment is about Stage to page - does it work? Slinky Espadrilles, by Ash Dickinson (article)

Laura Taylor

Thu 7th Jun 2012 12:55

:) Short, but not so sweet Houston - like it

Comment is about Revel (blog)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Julian (Admin)

Thu 7th Jun 2012 12:07

David Machin does a brilliant version: today we shall have closing of wards... nurses, which in our case we have not got, etc.
This works well Thomas, though I agree with Ann, that it stops en route. Cats not my thing though.

Comment is about The naming of cats (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Ann Foxglove

Thu 7th Jun 2012 09:50

The Naming of Parts is it called? Can't recall who it is by but well remember bits esp the "which in our case we have not got" line. Read it at school.

Ah, just saw your comment - I don't know the cat poem tho have heard of it of course.

Comment is about The naming of cats (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Ann Foxglove

Thu 7th Jun 2012 09:02

Hi Paul - welcome to WOL.

Comment is about Paul Jelen (Poet profile)

Original item by Paul Jelen

Ann Foxglove

Thu 7th Jun 2012 09:00

Hi Pam - a very warm welcome to WOL. I hope you enjoy exploring the site. :)

Comment is about Pam Hunter (Poet profile)

Original item by Pam Hunter

Ann Foxglove

Thu 7th Jun 2012 08:58

Hi Steve - I like your poem - I'm thinking of getting a rescue dog. Welcome to WOL. Look forward to reading more of your stuff. RE performing, it can be great fun. Maybe if you look in WOL's gig guide you might find an open mic event near you and go along.

Comment is about Ste Bee (Poet profile)

Original item by Ste Bee

Ann Foxglove

Thu 7th Jun 2012 08:55

Hi Pat - a very warm welcome to WOL. I hope you will enjoy becoming part of the site :)

Comment is about pat whittaker (Poet profile)

Original item by pat whittaker

Ann Foxglove

Thu 7th Jun 2012 08:53

Hi Anne - a warm welcome to WOL. I hope you enjoy browsing the site and will become an active part of it :)

Comment is about Anne Whitfield (Poet profile)

Original item by Anne Whitfield

Julian (Admin)

Thu 7th Jun 2012 08:43

Good thought, Harry: red, white, blue vomit?
No royalist, me neevah. But I did watch the thing with Prince Charlie and the home movies, and I found it interesting, not least because his mum's reign is almost co-terminous with my own existence as her subject (object to which I do).
It was fascinating, too, that he sat there all alone in a darkened cinema trying to have a conversation with someone off camera who never replied. it was a bit like the Diana on the Taj Mahal bench moment.

Comment is about Revel (blog)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Thu 7th Jun 2012 00:50

Many thanks for commenting on Mr Gabardine Man, Graham. Ah, the footie? A season for nothing!

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (Poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

winston plowes

Thu 7th Jun 2012 00:50

Hi John, not at all. It has been a magical ride upon the savaloy of your imagination. x

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Thu 7th Jun 2012 00:46

Many thanks for commenting on several of my poems recently. You must have been at a bit of a loose end!

Comment is about Winston Plowes (Poet profile)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Thu 7th Jun 2012 00:44

Hello MC
Many thanks for your thoughts on Mr Gabardine Man and Avant Garde Verse. The latter was a Confucian attempt to ask the question, "If the poem itself says it isn't a poem, can its form say it is?". Maybe there's discussion thread in there somewhere.
Re the parodies - I have another Kinks classic in the oven, "Dedicated Follower of Thrashing" as well as the Stones "The Last Rhyme". I'm working on Elton John's "Your Thong" and Chris Farlowe's "Out of Wine"

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (Poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Thu 7th Jun 2012 00:22

Many thanks, Yvonne for your thoughts on my bloater. It was, of course, available for inspection outside the Barnsley Empire in my alter persona as Mr Gabardine Man.
I also thank you for the suggestion that I copyright the form, athough rather than Shaiku, I shall call it a Haikupi in honour of my great uncle Hirohito Kupi.

Comment is about Yvonne Brunton (Poet profile)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Thu 7th Jun 2012 00:03

Hello Isobel
Many thanks for commenting on Mr Gabardine Man and Avant Garde Verse.
Contrary to popular rumour, Mr Gabardine Man is not entirely autobiographical.
On Avant Garde Verse - no doubt zoologists can define an elephant; I settle for recognising one.

Comment is about Isobel (Poet profile)

Original item by Isobel

Lynn Dye

Wed 6th Jun 2012 23:45

Thank you for your comments MC and Harry, much appreciated.

Comment is about Lullaby of the River (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Lynn Dye

Wed 6th Jun 2012 23:44

Bit like choosing between the devil and the deep blue sea, Harry! Well done, I enjoyed this, and what a clever baby - she has the right idea!!

Comment is about THE FLOATING VOTER SONG (blog)

Lynn Dye

Wed 6th Jun 2012 23:41

Great stuff, Harry - enjoyed this, I liked Joyce Grenfell too. :)

Comment is about School time (blog)

Harry O'Neill

Wed 6th Jun 2012 22:59

Winston,
If you change `puke` into a three syllabler here, you`ve got a genuine satirical haiku (those things positively cry out for satire)

(Still prefer a queen over a president though, who the hell wants a President - look what the French might have got with the sexy money guy- Royalty is just accidental)

cheers!

Comment is about Revel (blog)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Wed 6th Jun 2012 22:32

I couldn't have spewed it better myself Win. I'm not a fan of mass royalty fawning either.

Comment is about Revel (blog)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Harry O'Neill

Wed 6th Jun 2012 21:08

It`s the lapping that does it.

Lynn,I`m jealous.

Comment is about Lullaby of the River (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Harry O'Neill

Wed 6th Jun 2012 21:02

M.C.
How effective the two line layouts and the rhyme is (together with your two last lines) in widening this little thing into a larger observation on life itself.

And all based on an actual incident!

EXCELLENT.

Comment is about PASSING ROYALTY (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Nichola Smith

Wed 6th Jun 2012 20:05

Ha the shape is not the same here!

Comment is about Our Diamond (blog)

Original item by Nichola Smith

nick armbrister

Wed 6th Jun 2012 19:31

why do i get these symbols...

Comment is about So Far From Home (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

winston plowes

Wed 6th Jun 2012 17:23

Hi again. It was the year before I was born! 1964. Had the pleasure to read that piece on local radio today :-) Win

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (Poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Wed 6th Jun 2012 17:16

Hello Win - I found the BBC radio snippet you
mention. How it took me back! Thanks for that. I hope to post a cricket-related poem shortly.
MC

Comment is about Winston Plowes (Poet profile)

Original item by Winston Plowes

Karen Robinson

Wed 6th Jun 2012 17:08

Thank you Isobel.

I didn't realise there was a differnce but there is forum I use where it is an in joke. I penned this in response to being pulled up on it.

I better take a look at amount and number!

Thanks for the welcome.

Comment is about Few and Less (blog)

Original item by Karen Robinson

Wed 6th Jun 2012 16:59

Now we know what floats your boat!
Seriously, this takes me back to a summer
holiday aboard a motor cruiser on the Norfolk Broads. The purr of pleasure indeed.

Comment is about Lullaby of the River (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Lynn Dye

Wed 6th Jun 2012 16:46

Haha, I'm sure there will be soon, Yvonne - once we get the work done on her that's needed. thanks for comment. xx

Comment is about Lullaby of the River (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Lynn Dye

Wed 6th Jun 2012 16:37

I love the mixture of memories and descriptions and some really great lines. This has to be your best yet IMHO, Stef. xx

Comment is about Pouring (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Lynn Dye

Wed 6th Jun 2012 16:33

Another goodie! Well done again, Patricia, keep 'em coming. xx

Comment is about Between Ago & Evermore (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Nigel Astell

Wed 6th Jun 2012 15:26

Thanks Ann

I find going on the website keeps me in touch with the poetry world.

Comment is about Nigel Astell (Poet profile)

Original item by Nigel Astell

Wed 6th Jun 2012 15:12

Excellent, Thomas. I'm disappointed you gave the game away about its provenance, though - I wanted to show off my limited literary knowledge!

Comment is about The naming of cats (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

shadwell smith

Wed 6th Jun 2012 13:28

Thanks for the background. I was just looking at the nuts and bolts. Hope I didn't tread on any flowers.

Regards

Comment is about shadwell smith (Poet profile)

Original item by shadwell smith

shadwell smith

Wed 6th Jun 2012 13:25

You're welcome to it.

Comment is about Waiting for Maxim . . . (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Martin Peacock

Wed 6th Jun 2012 12:15

Hi there chuck. Your comments on 'Rhyme Wounds All Heels' were mucho appreciated and will be acted upon. 'Heel' is a [fairly old-fashioned] word for an unpleasant person; forget who said it first but 'time wounds all heels' was a neat reversal of the old adage - I simply substiuted 'rhyme' for 'time'. Perhaps it doesn't work; it sounded funny at the time tho.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (Poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Julian (Admin)

Wed 6th Jun 2012 11:33

Hi Kirsten
I meant no offence to Apples and Snakes and particularly not to you. We have worked with A and S a lot over the years very successfully at times.
What you guys do is valuable in getting some professionalism and quality into this huge, eclectic live-poetry scene. It was more the mismatch between the Arts Council's perception of what it is about and, I suppose, mine. I think they and A&S see it about performance. I see the live poetry scene's biggest benefit being its engagement with huge numbers of otherwise-non-participating 'poets', many of whom would not have known about the beneficial effects - dammit, the sheer joy - of writing what you want to write/say, and having a forum for your work, regardless of what boxes you tick, or categories you are deemed to be in. This gives a voice to the otherwise unvoiced.
Sure, performance skills are interesting for those who consider it a career path, but I would suggest that most of those on the open-mic circuit are there for the pleasure of sharing their words with others occasionally, being heard and appreciated for what they have to say, and how they have chosen to say it.
An evaluation of Write Out Loud's work compared us favourably with the WEA in terms of the educational value of what we are doing.
The overemphasis on youth is soul-destroying to those people - thousands of them/us - who discover live poetry, which is more accessible than published poetry, more fun, more sociable, late in life. It actually reinforces a sense of there being a small elite that does not want to know about the vast majority.
I do have issues with Apples and Snakes, though have good relationship with some of the individuals.
We have worked with A&S when it was us getting them an audience locally for a tour that was elsewhere playing to the janitor and his missus. A&S had their annual grant reduced to what to us is an eye-wateringly huge sum. We get nothing, and are subsidising our work out of our own pockets because we believe in it and the 1,000 visits a day to our site, the 12,000 unique users monthly are testament to the fact that we tick their boxes, not the funders'. We are doing a service to thousands of poets nationally, but told not to bother applying for portfolio funding. Forgive me for a bit of cynicism. I approached A&S to see if, given that you had the funding and we didn't, you could provide a workshop for our poets, so they could build on their skills. It was a flop because A&S brought someone up from down south who was a great performance poet, but no workshop leader. He 'delivered at' the participants rather than finding out where they where and what they needed.
Arts Council have told us to contact you with a view to working with A&S, as your funding is meant to be used in partnership with other players, apparently. I have tried to talk to your last two directors about and been ignored twice. We do have our dignity. So, again, forgive the cynicism.
I would be happy to hear about the work you do. Perhaps you could write us an article about it for the website? That would be appreciated.

Comment is about Live Poetry: An Integrated Approach to Poetry in Performance by Julia Novak (article)

jan oskar hansen

Wed 6th Jun 2012 10:08

Comment is about reverie (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

Graham Clifford

Wed 6th Jun 2012 10:05

Thanks Stella. that WD40 is wonder stuff.

Comment is about On the dispersal of water (blog)

Original item by Graham Clifford

Thomas Thurman

Wed 6th Jun 2012 09:23

I was wondering which she meant, because this was a deliberate mashup of Eliot's "Naming of Cats" and Henry Reed's "Naming of Parts". If you don't know both of them, it will make less sense.

Comment is about The naming of cats (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

stella jones

Wed 6th Jun 2012 09:09

Clever stuff! Love the bomb shape and the fun.. :)

Comment is about Fury said to a fish (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

stella jones

Wed 6th Jun 2012 09:06

Really enjoyed the whole..lovely stuff and a corker of a last line..aye those inner gubbins need to lose their squeaks!

Comment is about On the dispersal of water (blog)

Original item by Graham Clifford

Dave D Poet Rhumour

Wed 6th Jun 2012 03:04

Hiya folks, thanks for the message. :) Yeah, I've been a bit quiet on many sites for a while, partly the ongoing hassles with our dodgy internet connection here, partly real life getting in the way, lol. Hope all is well with you both, best wishes, Dave

Comment is about Patricia and Stefan Wilde (Poet profile)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Wed 6th Jun 2012 01:01

Ayup matey!
where the thump have you been hiding?
nice to see thee back young feller me lad.xx

Comment is about Dave Dunn (Poet profile)

Original item by Dave Dunn

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Wed 6th Jun 2012 00:57

We so much loved this poem
and thank you as much for posting it.

Comment is about reverie (blog)

Original item by jan oskar hansen

stella jones

Wed 6th Jun 2012 00:53

Hiya Thomas I think Ann most probably means T.S. Elliot The Naming of Cats

His ineffable effable
Effanineffable
Deep and inscrutable singular Name.

I enjoyed your cat read.

Comment is about The naming of cats (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Isobel

Wed 6th Jun 2012 00:10

I've never pondered upon the difference between less and few before,but maybe I should have - if you'll forgive that sentence structure :)

Something I do notice, is the way people constantly confuse 'amount' with 'number'. Perhaps it's time to pull our fingers out of the damn and just accept that language is changing.

An amusing read. Welcome to WOL Karen.

Comment is about Few and Less (blog)

Original item by Karen Robinson

Thomas Thurman

Tue 5th Jun 2012 23:50

Thank you! Out of interest, which do you think the original poem is?

Comment is about The naming of cats (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

winston plowes

Tue 5th Jun 2012 23:33

well read John

Comment is about The Three Hulats (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 148 296 418 419 420 421 422 444 592 740 888 1036 1184 1332 1470 1471 1472 Next -->