John A Silkstone

Fri 30th Mar 2012 22:35

Mither

Pronunciation: /ˈmʌɪðə/
verb
[no object] dialect, chiefly Northern English
• make a fuss; moan: oh men—don’t they mither?
• [with object] pester or irritate (someone): the pile of bills would mither her whenever she felt good
Origin:
late 17th century: of unknown origin; compare with Welsh moedrodd 'to worry, bother'
Taken from the Oxford English Dictionary.

Comment is about Tawny Bridge (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Fri 30th Mar 2012 22:29

You...booed?
Who booed?
I'll merely say "You what, John?!
You...booed?
Who booed?
Did they know WHO was going ON?
(P.S. - HAH...pull the other one!)

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

John A Silkstone

Fri 30th Mar 2012 22:29

Hi Yvonne, This was something I wrote 11 years ago when I started writing and have never bothered to alter it.

Comment is about Years end (blog)

Original item by John A Silkstone

Fri 30th Mar 2012 22:12

Hello Larisa - I visited your website and found it creative and colourful! And what a fine looking city Odessa is...the photographs show it to be a grand mixture of the past and present, with some beautiful buildings and in a perfect position by the sea. Its "Steps" are familiar to film audiences everywhere. You are indeed fortunate to be a daughter of such a fair (as in "lovely") and famous city.

Comment is about Larisa Rzhepishevska (Poet profile)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Fri 30th Mar 2012 21:59

Some stimulating use of words here - I confess myself (and my Concise Oxford English dictionary) defeated by "mithered"...but it sounds wonderfully suggestive. Is there a "Mithering Sunday"?
I enjoyed this!

Comment is about Tawny Bridge (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 21:57

There are many good images in this piece, John.You have certainly captured the essence of Autumn.
Probably needs tweeking here and there to give it an even more lyrical 'lilt'.The verb in the first sentence would sit better as a present tense. Is there a special reason why the flora and fauna have been accorded capital letters?

Comment is about Years end (blog)

Original item by John A Silkstone

Fri 30th Mar 2012 21:46

Chemist? When the under-threat "Little Chef" has a selection as appetising as its new-fangled menu? Save the "Little Chef", never mind the Queen! Seriously (if you'll excuse the use of the word) - this is great! You should seek sponsorship from local chemists to recite it and help sales in these hard (or not so hard) times.

Comment is about A Trip to the Chemist (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 21:31

poor old wheelie bin. The last verse is effective.

Comment is about The Wheelie-bin Murder (blog)

Original item by Joe Hakim

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 21:12

I can't stop humming the blooming hymn tune now!

Comment is about Morning prayer (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 21:11

AKA Frere Jaques?

Comment is about Morning prayer (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 21:02

Is this a song?
There's a great deal of pathos in the last line of the 'chorus'. This grows on you (on me).

Comment is about LOVE'S NOT A WORD I CARE ABOUT (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 20:25

Sidelines:- Great. I like the way the rhythm flows naturally and the rhymes are unforced. (I'm quite keen on rhythm and rhyme)
Me and you:- Succinct.You have encapsulated the poet's dilemma in a couple of lines ( well 4 to be accurate if there are any mathematitians amongst us)I like them both.

Comment is about I Admit I Am Ambivalent (blog)

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 20:17

A salutory warning that patriotism is not the perogative of one nation.
Almost a sonnet.
The gentle rhythm of the first two lines with long-vowelled, multi-syllabic words contrasts excellently with the short, sharp,snappy pace of the later phrasing:- 'as two fall dead', 'taking his war to the enemy'.
This technique reminds me of a line from french war poem from my youth:- 'He has two red holes in his right side' (Il a deux trous rouges au cote droit) It's a sonnet by Rimbaud 'Le Dormeur du Val' (inspired by the Franco-Prussin war I think)
Your poem reminded me of the stories of Japaneese soldiers stranded on small islands, who, unaware that the war had ended many years ago, were still defending the land for their country.I was kind of expecting an ending along those lines.

Comment is about SNIPER (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

stella jones

Fri 30th Mar 2012 19:33

John!!! How could I not have enjoyed your set at the Poetry Spoke??

Your word use an subject matter diverse..You're materclass in the guitar ..well just outstanding heh heh..serfing ... I thoroughly enjoyed the whole evening and it was great to see you and the better half too..

Did you enjoy?..

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

ray miller

Fri 30th Mar 2012 19:32

Thankyou, steve black.Now it's high time I went. It simply ain't worth the effort anymore.

Comment is about Your Space or Mine (blog)

stella jones

Fri 30th Mar 2012 19:21

Awww RM....I feel as if commenting in the way I did I have perhaps spoiled some of your time..Who am I to know anything much..but when I read that the said bloke had argued to push his point home (pardon the pun)..now that made my blood boil for yer see I believe many are greatly influenced by what others say as it takes a very strong character indeedy to ignore advice/crit if you respect the person it is coming from..me??..I have changed a write because of crit from others who I respect (meaning I respect their writing) and found that it changes out of all recognition as one of 'mine.?' Dya know what I mean here?..

Now to writing groups..I think you have hit the said nail on the head with a big hammer when you mention the peeps there should be properly interested in all forms of writing, that type of interest is genuine and I would think a lot of good could come out of a session like that...but to put doubts in anothers mind...to slash their work oh dear me..I have wondered that if something happened to me like that would I have the guts to get up and say 'sod you' and carry on as if nothing had been said. Of course there is constructive crit, but still it has to come from someone that you respect as a writer..well I think so.

I was surprised by your asking for comments on your write RM because, well because I just didn't 'see' you in my minds eys loosing any sleep over what that bloke said..and that is probably why the said multiple iiii's happened for if you enjoyed writing the piece, if you thought that it said something..then who the heck am I or anyone else to dis it?..He argued..he did not say or give any good advice..that, I am sure is not what a writers group is for..well I bloody hope not..

It is such a shame that you live too far away to enjoy an open mike night..I expect when you run them yourself they were wonderful evenings..and I guess that after a time they lost their appeal too..soooo where do we go eh?..when we are at the stage you speak of?..Many times I have wished to be in my first year of writing (been writing for about twelve years now) Even if most of it was trite trash..at least it was fresh and new to me and I was full of words and ideas..annnnd I didn't bash myself up if I couldn't get it 'just so.' Have I made any sense at all?..probably not..I do hope you shake that group up out of its rut and that it goes on a strength..good luck :)) x

Comment is about Richie Muster (Poet profile)

Original item by Richie Muster

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 30th Mar 2012 19:12

L-O-V-E it!

Comment is about It means nothing (blog)

Original item by Joy Claypool

Philipos

Fri 30th Mar 2012 16:23

Hi Laura, 'Encroachment'. Yes, very sad to see the erosion of our lovely English fields even if badly needed for housing.

Has a sort of 'How Green was my Valley' feel to it.

Appreciate your comment.

CHEERS.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (Poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Philipos

Fri 30th Mar 2012 16:17

Hi Nick, 'Encroachment' you know you could be about right with poems being the legacy of our green (& brown) belts. Appreciate the comment.

CHEERS.

Comment is about Nick Clifton (Poet profile)

Original item by Nick Clifton

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 13:31

Wait - Ready - Aim - Fire - Dead and gone.
Ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about SNIPER (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 13:08

Haw-Haw awfully good - plenty of the Cuban that time. Nice to see, or it would be if I didn't have me dark glasses on. Talking of glasses, you weren't but I was, I could do with one. I think I'll pop out and, as long as I'm not arrested for popping, get myself a stiff one. Nothing like that! Oh you are awful, but I like you. Tara for now. ps There's a straight-serious-proper poem going up in a minute. And it is small too! tara for a while, Nick.

Comment is about Space Knits (blog)

Original item by Nick Clifton

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 30th Mar 2012 12:53

cigars?clubs?
so what's wrong with sealing wax-
cabbages and kings and plans of mice and
men when they have only flat pack instructions
to go on?
And here are us two thinking-we- were on the wrong planet!
hello? Germany calling!

Comment is about Space Knits (blog)

Original item by Nick Clifton

Martin Peacock

Fri 30th Mar 2012 12:26

Ey up lass,

guess what? You've really got me thinking re: writers' groups. Don't know for sure what your opinion of 'em is, altho all those 'iiiiiii's in that 'shiiiiit' add up to a large parcel of, well, shit. I'm also guessing that you didn't imagine me the kind of person to use 'em. And you know what? You're 50% right. Or were: it's more like 90% now I've sat back and reappraised my investment in 'em these past few days.

See, I've been ambivalent about 'em for a long time now; even used to run the buggers - and open mic nights - for a living [at best, as a kind of clinic for ongoing work they can be really useful - IF they are peopled by others equally invested in what's happening; at worst they are an 'oooh, that's nice dear' forum for people with nothing better to do than come along and listen to the sound of their own voice.]

Welcome, then, to the Accrington Writers 'Written World' - neato title, eh? The more I mused upon the inherent disdain for said groups in your single word appraisal, the more steps backwards I took to get a better look at what I've been doing with my Saturday afternoons over the recent past, and you know what? The group started to look less and less like the former, and too much like the latter: loud mouths looking for a captive audience to harangue with their all-encompassing knowledge of literature's so-called 'rules', weekend scribblers with no intention of listening to criticism/improving their craft and nice old dears simply doodling/enjoying the company [nothing expressly wrong with that - just the wrong arena.]

That's why I signed up to WOL - at least here I get people telling me what they think I've done - right and wrong - and occasionally suggesting ways of improving, much of which actually HAS improved my attempts.

Aaah, listen to me firing wildly and blindly - I'm just pissed off that I haven't the opportunities to go to open floors anymore. That's where the immediate, important response is: if they love ya they clap and cheer; if not they shout 'crap!' and jeer. I'm an 'artist' [?!? oh dear gods did he really just call himself that?] and I need an audience that's actually listening - that's all this boils down to.

Well, forgive me for taking up time better spent on, well, better thingies. I think I just needed to vent some spleen [or take a nice loooong holiday where nothing looks familiar and no-one can understand a word I'm saying, let alone tell me that I don't know how to write in iambic pentameter.] I'd sure be interested to know what you and all the other good folk on WOL have to say about these strange beasts.

What ho!

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Andy

Fri 30th Mar 2012 12:13

Thank you gentlemen. I'm enjoying sharing, and receiving useful feedback.

I haven't got that many poems, given how long I've been at it, so I'll have to parcel them out slowly.

Comment is about I Admit I Am Ambivalent (blog)

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 11:16

Lovely dark imagery. Any death would leave your audience reeling. Ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about For those who travel far. (blog)

Original item by Danny Metcalfe

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 30th Mar 2012 11:15

Blimey Charlie!
or should that be blimey Nick-ly!
were you wearing running shoes this morning?

As quick off the mark as we are
to thank you very much Nick.xx

Comment is about Global warning (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 11:13

I feel invigorated by the wonderful rhythms. Tripping off the tongue and brightening the mind is making my day. Ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about I Admit I Am Ambivalent (blog)

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 11:09

Them there 'small headstones' is succinct and yet says a great deal. Cut out this sort of lovely versage or I'll be forced to like them. You have been warned. Succinct! Indeed! Lovely stuff, keep 'em coming, ta muchly, Nick.
ps totally apt pic, too boot!

Comment is about Global warning (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 30th Mar 2012 11:04

We agree with everyone of the comments below.
Excellent!xx

Comment is about Happy Marriage (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 30th Mar 2012 10:50

Thanks very much Yvonne.

What a great Winter drink
those 'barleys' were.
Seem hard to come by now for whatever reason?
Never heard the expression 'liquid knickers?'
does that have anything to do
with the neccessary invention of pee pads,
or a new type of underwear that Ladies can
wear in the bath in order to maintain
respectability-like wot they do...oh yeah!-lol.xx

Comment is about Good grief! (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Marianne Louise Daniels

Fri 30th Mar 2012 10:48

oooh I love ee cummings Nick!

Scowling clouds - brilliant image.

Comment is about Eesless (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 30th Mar 2012 10:43

Don't you dare keep quiet Mr.C.
we need your noise to drown out
Grandads guitar playing.

Playing!? yeah right.xx

Comment is about Castles in the air (blog)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Marianne Louise Daniels

Fri 30th Mar 2012 10:15

Thank you for the comments, I wrote this yesterday and tankered with it for the best part of it. One to perform in the future and so testing the waters with some new stuff.

Thank you.

Comment is about Enter Violet (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Marianne Louise Daniels

Fri 30th Mar 2012 10:12

Thank you for your comments, I am very touched that you have appreciated my work. I don't think I am very publisher-friendly, but I will keep trying.

Relinquishing Pain is so raw and truthful - I admire your bravery. Beautiful read.

Thank you.

Comment is about Noetic-fret! (Poet profile)

Original item by Noetic-fret!

Abegail Morley

Fri 30th Mar 2012 10:03

Thanks both for your comments, I am glad the CBT poem struck a chord - it is far more tangible than the first, which doesn't much work out on a limb.

Comment is about Yellow Trousers (blog)

Original item by Abegail Morley

Laura Taylor

Fri 30th Mar 2012 10:01

I really like the CBT piece. Having had it myself, I can identify with some of those lines.

Comment is about Yellow Trousers (blog)

Original item by Abegail Morley

Laura Taylor

Fri 30th Mar 2012 09:44

Another entry for the RSPB/Rialto comp I think Phil :) I like the simplicity in this, and the imagery which has a soothing innocence to it, until you get to the lines 'destined for new homes', and that last verse is killer. Excellent! We have lost so much of our 'waste' land these days...every square bloody inch of it built on - it seriously gets to me.

Comment is about ENCROACHMENT. (blog)

Original item by Philipos

Laura Taylor

Fri 30th Mar 2012 09:38

Oh - handy hint of today - if you reply to me, do it on MY profile, cos then I get an email notification :) I only checked on here cos quite a lot of newbies don't know about that and do the same thing as you :)

And welcome to WOL! :)

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Laura Taylor

Fri 30th Mar 2012 09:34

First of all - what an unusual structure - mind, most of yours have an unusual structure (a GOOD thing!) ;)

'rinsing my brain with salt', 'We ate spears of plum meat
secured on a rose thorn
that curled up like a butterfly’s tongue'

there are some astonishingly good lines in this - I don't think it's clunky at all.

Comment is about Enter Violet (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Andy

Fri 30th Mar 2012 07:00

Thanks again for your comments. I take them seriously.

Yvonne,I've eliminated 'archipelago' entirely. I'll post the re-written version soon.

Harry,I've always thought the last line might have warranted an extra beat rather than the penultimate line, but I'll look again. Thanks

Comment is about An Avian Theme (blog)

Andy

Fri 30th Mar 2012 06:54

Thank you Laura. I'll do as you suggest.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Fri 30th Mar 2012 06:26

Yes, I agree with Harry. Shame on you, John! You made me smile and I remembered a joke.

A prostitute to a passing old man:
- 50 dollars with a condom, 100 dollars without it.
An old man: I'll give you 200 dollars if you manage to put it on.

Comment is about A Trip to the Chemist (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Danny Metcalfe.

Fri 30th Mar 2012 03:17

I really like this one. It has a haunting quality to it.

Comment is about Stark Distillation (blog)

Original item by Dave Dunn

Larisa Rzhepishevska

Fri 30th Mar 2012 02:22

Thank you my dears! Your comments help me so much.
With love and warmest wishes,
Larisa

Comment is about Happy Marriage (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 01:30

Mighty good taste of skill-filled poetry. Crammed with mouth-watering succulence. Thanks for giving us tea on the Upper Terrace, ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about An Avian Theme (blog)

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 01:22

Most definitely different. I don't think I've seen marriage done like this before. A credit to your imagination and the conveyed imagery is splendid. Ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about Happy Marriage (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Yvonne Brunton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 01:14

Wistful emotion keenly portrayed. Nice one.

Comment is about Coincidence (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 01:11

ee cummings would have a field day with this, 'e would thou knows! Cleverer than me, ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about Eesless (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Nick Clifton

Fri 30th Mar 2012 01:01

imagery abounds and sheds light on a 'natural poet' tons of brilliant rapture for us mere mortals to taste. ta muchly, Nick.

Comment is about Enter Violet (blog)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Fri 30th Mar 2012 00:57

Nice love sonnet, TT.

Comment is about Coincidence (blog)

Original item by Thomas Thurman

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 148 296 418 419 420 421 422 444 592 740 888 1036 1184 1332 1475 1476 1477 Next -->