Frances Spurrier

Tue 11th Mar 2014 13:24

Great interview - upbeat and hopeful. Words not always appropriate for attitudes to poetry! Thanks Greg/Jamie McGarry.

Comment is about Can poetry go 'mainstream'? The future's bright, says Valley Press publisher (article)

Greg Freeman

Tue 11th Mar 2014 11:53

I think there could be something in Jamie's suggestion that poetry's chance of going mainstream might be helped by people's attention spans "allegedly shrinking", even if he maybe said it tongue in cheek. At my age, I haven't got time for novels ... life's too short!

Tue 11th Mar 2014 11:37

A haunting analogy with the human condition, with its image of skeletal life clinging on against all
that nature can throw at it.

Comment is about Night walk (blog)

Tue 11th Mar 2014 11:29

In answer to your question - why shouldn't I use
the old religious come-back: "It passeth all
understanding".
Besides - if we are "given" life (as we know it),
it begs the unanswerable question: what gave
existence to that which provided life for us?
The merry-go-round goes on: perhaps answered in
eventual death...leading to a change of the predominant physical state of "being" into a form
of unseen force free from the constraint and
limitations of the body?
May the Force be with us!! :-)

Comment is about The Miracle of Life (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Lesya Grass

Tue 11th Mar 2014 10:28

There's a feeling of spring in the air today...

Comment is about picture (photo)

Original item by Lesya Grass

Mon 10th Mar 2014 21:33

well 'ard! loved it.

Comment is about Down the Dogs (blog)

Original item by Piss Poor Poet

Mon 10th Mar 2014 21:33

A rich vein that it would be a shame not to tap into, Gray.

Comment is about I can be horrible if you like (blog)

Original item by Gray Nicholls

Mon 10th Mar 2014 21:29

We're still coming out of an ice age, so it will continue to warm up. But man-made?
Personally I think "Yes" we are accelerating the process.
I tell my kids it's their job to make the world a better place; I didn't do it very well.
One of them is a teacher so she has scope to make many more minds aware than I can.

Comment is about GLOBAL WARMING-how long forming? (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Mon 10th Mar 2014 21:19

multiply the 'collecting' by three.That will tell you how much parental frustrated waits we have had.

Good poem Solar.xx

Comment is about Collecting daughter (blog)

Mon 10th Mar 2014 21:14

Us two too Solar!

Thank you.xx

Comment is about Comedian of birds (blog)

Mon 10th Mar 2014 20:19

If you thinking of seeing Jamie anytime, don't go if you're wanting miserable rants. You'll be disappointed.
The joy of his poetry is infectious.

Mon 10th Mar 2014 20:14

So what is it that makes us alive, MC?

Comment is about The Miracle of Life (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Pete

Mon 10th Mar 2014 16:54

Or, just self-publish an e-book and cut out the heartache and publisher conformity.

Mon 10th Mar 2014 16:18

Hello there - many thanks for taking the trouble
to comment (and kindly) on "Global Warming".
It's a bit like Christianity with me...not too
sure but prepared to be convinced!!

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Mon 10th Mar 2014 16:11

Anyone who has/has had the nerve to stand and be
heard from public platforms will be encouraged and
heartened by these well considered lines.
One of the best older Hollywood scriptwriters -
a woman called Leigh Brackett - gave John Wayne
some memorable lines in the Western "Rio Bravo" -
and one that sticks in my own mind was his
admonishment to the Dean Martin character....
"Sorry don't get it done".
A lot of today's politicians and other public figures should have that on their desktops.

Comment is about I used to start by saying "Sorry" (blog)

Original item by David Lindsay

Tim Ellis

Mon 10th Mar 2014 15:13

I think if poetry is ever going to go mainstream, Jamie McGarry is the man to make it happen. I think when I first met him was not long after he started Valley Press. I remember wishing him luck with it and privately thinking "It will never last..." Delighted to see he has proved me wrong!

Nigel Astell

Mon 10th Mar 2014 14:03

When the room goes dark

Fear cries out

When the room goes light

Silent souls suffocate.

The theme for Stockport W O L tonight is Ghosts.

Comment is about Write Out Loud at Stockport art gallery tonight (article)

Nigel Astell

Mon 10th Mar 2014 13:48

Thanks for your comment M.C.

Comment is about M.C. Newberry (poet profile)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Nigel Astell

Mon 10th Mar 2014 13:44

Thanks Cynthia going to read it out tonight
at Stockport W O L

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Mon 10th Mar 2014 13:14

I haven't read the other comments yet. I think this is super - clever, funny, deliciously barbed and hitting way too close to bone.

Later: And, my goodness, wasn't I just right!

Comment is about Surely not! (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Mon 10th Mar 2014 13:07

Hilarious. Are the light-weight pans still called skillets? I think of skillets as heavy iron that could bash a brain, easily. I think my current frying would just go 'bong'.

I haven't seen you here in ages. Is all well?

Comment is about Pancake Days (blog)

Original item by Shoeless Carole

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:54

Delightful. Greatly enjoyed. And, of course, you crave it because you can't get it - it's a given.

Comment is about Why Is It? (blog)

Original item by Dorinda MacDowell

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:48

This is powerfully written, strong from first to last with compelling images. Your theme is huge and well-served. I like the turn from first person 'I' to second 'you' in the final stanza - making the ending like a warning. Or not - perhaps simple existentialism - you reap what you sow. (or something like that.)

Comment is about supping at the Silverback Inn (blog)

Original item by Ian Whiteley

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:33

Enjoyed. Humour with an edgy point.

Comment is about A Ghostly Gift (blog)

Original item by Nigel Astell

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:29

Aced it! She's one lucky daughter. And you have clearly expressed the opinions of many people.

Comment is about Collecting daughter (blog)

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:23

I really like this. IMO, interpretation is unlimited, especially with the ambiguous ending. The first three lines set an excellent mode, seductive in diction and musical intonation.

Comment is about Tales of a Shattered Monocle (blog)

Original item by Obviously Charming Delinquent

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:16

Powerful images.

'silhouetting in Wagner' is very interesting. Would you give me some background for this choice?

Comment is about Prisoners of War II (blog)

Original item by Andy N

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:10

Well done, cleverly constructed with fast easy rhymes, graphic allusions, and making excellent points to seriously consider.

Comment is about GLOBAL WARMING-how long forming? (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Mon 10th Mar 2014 12:01

I know you are wickedly clever, but I did get a bit lost, even after five readings. I think it must be 'fellow-feminine' that does me in - instead of 'fellow-feminist.' I even went down the LGBT route to see if it applies - and it sort of does, actually. I always enjoy your work.

Comment is about International Women`s Day (blog)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Mon 10th Mar 2014 11:56

I saw TV shots of an elderly woman wrapped in a
Ukrainian flag being jostled and abused, needing
to be shielded from missiles by police protection.
What flag do those guilty bullies fly - if any?!

Comment is about I Can At Least Bark (blog)

Original item by Larisa Rzhepishevska

Mon 10th Mar 2014 11:49

Tommy, inside your first quotation marks, it will read more accurately if you make the tense present:"I am famished/and that is a fact." It balances the landlady's direct words. Also, IMO, this usage strengthens the humour.

Comment is about Nietzsche declared (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Mon 10th Mar 2014 11:30

These lines are catsnip to a not so wealthy uncle!

Comment is about A Ghostly Gift (blog)

Original item by Nigel Astell

steve pottinger

Mon 10th Mar 2014 11:28

Thanks to Poetry24 for first publishing this poem. Inspired by the announcement of an inquiry into the police spying on the inquiry into the police handling of Stephen Lawrence's murder.

Comment is about You could have had kids by now (blog)

Original item by steve pottinger

Mon 10th Mar 2014 11:23

Harry - you appear to have an innate oft-expressed sympathy with/understanding of the opposite sex.
I wait with interest for your female equivalent
to appear with frequent poems in sympathy with the male gender.
:-)

Comment is about International Women`s Day (blog)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Mon 10th Mar 2014 11:08

I'm quite content to "believe" in some unimaginable force behind what we know as life
in all its varied forms on this small planet.
The simplistic human desire in ancient times to put that into some useful religious context to
gain influence and control over minds is another
matter. Even today there are many who are eager
to embrace stories from woefully ignorant times
that bear little scrutiny today. "Faith" is all
very well but a little basic questioning does
not come amiss. Stephen Fry asks what loving
and forgiving "God" creates creatures that lay
eggs in the living body of another creature and
eat it alive from within! Perhaps the old Church cop-out is the answer: It passeth all
understanding!

Comment is about The Miracle of Life (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Mon 10th Mar 2014 09:43

Indeed Harry. Strange when Diversity and Inclusivity specifically excludes some.

Comment is about International Women`s Day (blog)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Steve Higgins

Mon 10th Mar 2014 06:25

More of a thought than a poem but there are certain things that bring home the aging process and this moment was one of them.
Thanks for your comments John.

Comment is about Jimmy, do you remember me? (blog)

Original item by Steve

John F Keane

Sun 9th Mar 2014 19:48

*If we want the disenfranchised underclass to adopt the morality of the mainstream, social housing needs to be integrated into mainstream society. That means individual houses among the private residences.*

I'm sure the owners of private residences will be clamoring for jobless, violent junkies to be dumped on their doorsteps. Or maybe we could put them in Hampstead or Islington, to test liberal good will.

Comment is about Poet and 'ex-scumbag' Byron Vincent defends underclass on sink estates (article)

Joe Nodus

Sun 9th Mar 2014 16:35

Thanks Greg & Chris for your compliments, which are most humbling to me. I wish I was as good as you imply. Without you guys doing what you do, I would not be able to do what I do. Or, at least, not in the way I'm doing it. It would be very hard to find a place to be accepted, at the end of a days walking; without people running poetry/reader groups, & without the WOL gig guide I'd be truly wandering "lonely as a cloud". P.S. Don't forget to get out & pick some Ramsons; they're energy dynamite. I'm 48 & have just started running with better energy than I have for over a decade; that's after eating 40 Ramson leaves in a Biriani, with Olive oil.

Anne Rhodes of the Castelford monthly friday night 'Poetry & Pals' group, asked me a few questions, which I answered, as follows: I do as much walking as I can, but that's only 150 miles since February. The rest of the time I'm lying down or writing/editing poetry; foraging for food, overeating & lying down again.

I live in a high rise flat in Bramley, West Leeds. I have a computer at home, but not internet. I use the Library internet, wherever I happen to be. I use scrap paper, then write up at home.

It is the instinct to survive that started me off long distance walking, when I was ill. Once I spent 2 years in bed, because my previous job had made me ill. The blazing Summer of 2006 got me out swimming in an offshoot of the River Aire. After that I began to explore canal bank walking & gradually I built my stamina. Now the survival instinct, of exercise & gathering wild foods is interlinked with creativity, as I try to link one poetry event to the next, within daily walking distance; which is about 25 miles, possibly a bit more, under favorable conditions.

Another reason to begin, was the curiosity to find out if, as of old, one could walk from one place of major importance to another, without been poisoned & driven insane by the fumes & noise of traffic. I have found that nice enough routes can get one practically the length & breadth of England & Scotland. Not that I've been that far, but hope to do as much as possible, in the coming years.

Thanks for the encouragement to writing about my walking experiences. But there are a lot more experienced walking writers out there than me. The unique aspect of my travels is the link to the WOL gig guide, from which I can plan routes; e.g. Leeds to Cleckheaton, to Middleton, to Manchester, to Maccelesfield or Wigan, to Congleton or Liverpool, to Stoke or Birkenhead, to Wolverhampton or Chester, to Birmingham, London, Brighton, or via the Welsh coastal path to Bristol, Salsbury, Bournemouth; which from the map, all look achievable, mostly via canal banks & country footpaths. I've been down as far as Stourbridge, West of Birmingham. I hope to go further this Summer.

I’ve just gone self employed, as a self-publicist & salesperson of my poetry. I am also very keen to get hold of other people's self-published writing to sell; door to door. I'd like as wide a range of work as possible, so that whoever opens the door; I may have something to interest them. There's the potential for including a charitable aspect to this idea. So anyone interested in these ideas, please get in touch.

Comment is about Welcome sign of spring as poetry trekker Joe hits the road again (article)

andy n

Sun 9th Mar 2014 12:26

now i would love to know who this is about.

guess the diceman reference is in relation to luke rhinehart's book 'the diceman'. now that is a mad, mad book.

good stuff.

Comment is about I can be horrible if you like (blog)

Original item by Gray Nicholls

Chris Co

Sun 9th Mar 2014 07:46

Nodus is a true poet, free spirit and a walking/cycling advertisement for his environmental/world outlook.

So many play at this...this guy lives and breathes it. We were privileged to be in his company and honoured by words. Thx mate from me and the rest of us at ThePoetry Spoke, truly humbled by your excursion to be with us that night.

Take care...especially on the road.

Our Best

Chris

Rose Casserley

Sat 8th Mar 2014 19:15

aww! cute one guys-I'd love to get one of these gorgeous birds to feed out of my hand.x

Comment is about Comedian of birds (blog)

Sat 8th Mar 2014 13:01

K- ''Philosophy made difficult'' Tommy

Comment is about Karin (poet profile)

Original item by Karin

Sat 8th Mar 2014 12:57

Cheers CBT ;)

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Fri 7th Mar 2014 22:53

I'm having these conversations with people from my past too, Steve. Must be getting old.
Down-to-earth in thought and language. Enjoyed, Steve.

Comment is about Jimmy, do you remember me? (blog)

Original item by Steve

Fri 7th Mar 2014 22:47

I'm not a true worshipper myself, Ian (although I think I follow Christian beliefs) but I have only respect for anyone who has a deep faith in any religion.

Comment is about Set in stone (A Poem for Lent) (blog)

Original item by Ian McGregor Hart

Fri 7th Mar 2014 21:02

I performed 2 parodies, Cynthia. The Kinks "Dedicated Follower of Thrashin'" and The Beatles "Let Me Pee". Nothing worthy, of course.
The bare-chested lady was clearly 'engaged'.
It was a zoo. I loved it.

Comment is about OPEN MIC AUDIENCES (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

jan oskar hansen

Fri 7th Mar 2014 18:57

this made me smile partly out of sadness

Comment is about notes (blog)

Original item by Paul Sands

jan oskar hansen

Fri 7th Mar 2014 18:54

great stuff this enjoyed

Comment is about After you chucked me (blog)

Fri 7th Mar 2014 17:03

Thanks again Karin.'Couples therapy'..love it!

Patricia and Stef.xx

Comment is about After you chucked me (blog)

◄ Prev 1 2 3 173 346 418 419 420 421 422 519 692 865 1038 1211 1384 1557 1726 1727 1728 Next ►