Marianne Louise Daniels

Fri 11th May 2012 10:46

Cupid's Spindle - the title is a poem in itself - what an adorable pair of words!

Comment is about Cupid's spindle (blog)

Original item by Lucy

Laura Taylor

Fri 11th May 2012 09:59

I really like this - can identify with parts of it too.

I like how it moves through from the vulnerability and pain of the childhood, to the knowledge and understanding of the adult. Funny how the power dynamic shifts as you get older isn't it?

Comment is about Mother's girl (blog)

Original item by fiona sinclair

Laura Taylor

Fri 11th May 2012 09:53

Howdy Hazel - lovely to meet you last night, and I still can't believe that was only your second performance! You were great! Nice smooth performance, clear, articulate, not rushed in the slightest, and got everyone laughing. I couldn't see a hint of 'bricking it' - you're a natural :)

Hope to see you at another Tudor :)

Take care

Laura x

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Laura Taylor

Fri 11th May 2012 09:34

Eh, and cheeky - I bloody well don't laugh at the bosses jokes! ;p He doesn't know any, for a start!

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (Poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Joshua Van-Cook

Fri 11th May 2012 08:49

Thanks for your comment on "The Night". There was a mistake in it but I have corrected it.
All the best

- Josh

Comment is about Patricia and Stefan Wilde (Poet profile)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Debbie Houghton

Fri 11th May 2012 03:07

Wow Tommy what a poem the last verse especially. Your poetry is breathtaking!

Comment is about On stolen sheets (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Debbie Houghton

Fri 11th May 2012 03:04

And for my experience of your poem "becomes" is better as these last few words describes the man's relationship now, the rest of the poem relating the "before " of his story.

Comment is about A Lady's dismissal (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Debbie Houghton

Fri 11th May 2012 02:45

Oh this is really good Tommy, brilliantly clever imagery.
You have woven the start and end of a relationship from just a few short verses.
The steamy hot flush of new love: your names inside hearts on windows, which are altered and changed by the temperature drying out causing condensation "tears" to dribble down the window and the "smile becomes a snear"
True poetry.

Comment is about A Lady's dismissal (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Debbie Houghton

Fri 11th May 2012 02:14

Wow what a variety of styles you can write in Harry. I laughed out loud at your "Girl in Sarii " then the peaceful echoing emotional beauty of "Rendezvous " to the brisk choppy shiny style of "Clare 's Hair. Each a treasure to read

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Debbie Houghton

Fri 11th May 2012 01:56

Another peach in your collection John, I've decided to read one of your poems a day to cheer me up. You should make a CD it would be a big hit. I'd definitely order one!

Comment is about Mammaries Are Made Of This (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Debbie Houghton

Fri 11th May 2012 01:33

Im a bit sheepish to admit but this is so funny-ewe definately have a brilliant sense of humour matched only by your craftsmanship skill. Parody on I 'm loving it!

Thank you also for the lovely comments on my dittys-I wasn't up early just not gone to sleep. Got carried away with reading these wonderful poems. This site is just amazing. It's like a window has opeƱed into a world of beautiful places to explore.

Comment is about I Got Ewe Babe (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

winston plowes

Fri 11th May 2012 00:40

Where Chris?

Comment is about Blog (blog)

Original item by Chris Lawrence

Greg Freeman

Fri 11th May 2012 00:04

David, thanks very much for your encouraging words on Hope Cross. Kind of you to say my writing is going "from strength to strength" - my walking certainly isn't! Keep us posted with your launch/publication date.

Comment is about David Cooke (Poet profile)

Original item by David Cooke

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Fri 11th May 2012 00:01

Sad and very well written Lynn.
lots of improvements in your poems lately.

Keep it up girly!xx

Comment is about Forgotten Hero (blog)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Thu 10th May 2012 23:58

A very worthy read.

We loved it.

Comment is about Mother's girl (blog)

Original item by fiona sinclair

ray miller

Thu 10th May 2012 23:13

Nice poem. I think the beginning and end are better than the middle.

like sucking venom from snake bite,

I think if you can avoid "like" in this context then you should - I think you can.

orchards and fields of his office - that's great.

"detected" lying sounds, I don't know, inauthentic somehow. "or lying"?

the ramshackle un-saleable house - sounds better?

I like the way you finish the poem, how the daughter all of a sudden achieves equality, adulthood.

Comment is about Mother's girl (blog)

Original item by fiona sinclair

Yvonne Brunton

Thu 10th May 2012 22:32

You lead us up the garden path here so well, Debbie. There I was enjoying the pastoral scene, nodding in agreement as each bloom and bird was mentioned, mentally ticking off the ones that I too have when the delightful image was destroyed - as all too often is the case - by the gardener's enemy. Love it XX

Comment is about Gorgeous Garden (blog)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Yvonne Brunton

Thu 10th May 2012 22:06

Hi Debbie, thanks for your lovely comments on 'House Hunting' I'm glad it amused you.Hope your daughter manages to climb on the property ladder.
I've just read your 'Manic Mad' and think it really captures the highs and lows of bipolar in a way that can easily be understood.
'Warping along in my hyperfast train'
and 'Ferryman paytime I equal the score.'
are very telling.
Keep posting!XX

Comment is about Debbie Houghton (Poet profile)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Lynn Dye

Thu 10th May 2012 21:54

I really like this, Ann, reminded me of reading Rebecca some years ago, and I admire the descriptions and contrasts you portray. xx

Comment is about Waiting for Maxim . . . (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Lynn Dye

Thu 10th May 2012 21:25

Hi Philip, welcome to WOL and thank you so much for your kind comments on Impossibility. I think it is always interesting for a writer to hear others' thoughts and interpretations on their poems, so thanks again.
I just read your profile and poems, and am much impressed, I like "Fishing for Fellas". Keep writing and posting!

Comment is about Phillip Kelly (Poet profile)

Original item by Phillip Kelly

Lynn Dye

Thu 10th May 2012 20:49

Hi Debbie, thank you so much for your lovely comments on Teardrops in my Coffee. You seem to have read more into it than I realised was there! haha. Great to have you on board, hope you enjoy the site, and keep posting! x

Comment is about Debbie Houghton (Poet profile)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Lynn Dye

Thu 10th May 2012 20:45

Ha ha, I know that feeling, those pesky slugs!!
I like the shape of this poem, Debbie, I once tried a heart shaped poem, but couldn't get it to upload properly on here, so well done.

Comment is about Gorgeous Garden (blog)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Lynn Dye

Thu 10th May 2012 20:42

Hi Debbie and welcome to WOL.
I found this really interesting, quite whacky but very enjoyable. Deserves more readings. x

Comment is about Tea Party (blog)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Thu 10th May 2012 19:34

...PPS Also I just wanted to be the 9,000th visit to your site.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (Poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Thu 10th May 2012 19:32

Laura I know you avoid 'correspondence' and like to be evasive and on the whole don't give a damn about practically everything... but you are quickly becoming my favorite person in the world.
So keep it up and 'rage, rage against the dying of the light'.
Tommy
PS I also know you giggle at the bosses jokes.
A-hem.

Comment is about Laura Taylor (Poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Thu 10th May 2012 17:20

Wow, Debbie! You get up very early to look at poetry.
Many thanks for the flattering stuff you said about Ikea. I have started doing parodies only recently, some of which you might like (Nights in Prestatyn, Everybody's Gone Serfin', You Won't Batter Anymore, Gorgonzola, I Got Ewe Babe).
I expect your garden is filing up with colour nicely this time of year.
Keep posting.

Comment is about Debbie Houghton (Poet profile)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Oxana Poberejnaia

Thu 10th May 2012 17:00

Hello, Ann!

and thank you very much for your welcome. I in my turn have never thought of an owl being lens-shaped.

This is what poetry is about I suppose: discovering the unexpected for ourselves and others.

Comment is about Oxana Poberejnaia (Poet profile)

Original item by Oxana Poberejnaia

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Thu 10th May 2012 16:44

We loved it all Joshua
especially the last three lines.

Comment is about The Night (blog)

Original item by Joshua Van-Cook

Patricia &Stefan wilde

Thu 10th May 2012 16:32

Hello Debbie.
A belated welcome to W.O.L.
which will no doubt be somewhat enhanced
by your very unique style of writing.

We love your biography!
and are very grateful for the kind comments.

Our very best regards to you.

Patricia and Stefan.xx

Comment is about Debbie Houghton (Poet profile)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

Debbie Houghton

Thu 10th May 2012 16:30

Thanks for the comments on Tea Party it is a biographical snippet of the mad hatter world my mind sometimes inhabits with the dark chaos echoed in Carrol's Alice. I don't know the Jefferson song but love early genesis and yes and the feel of the way they are written crept in to my delight.

Your poetry styles are amazing in texture, scope and design. Brilliantly crafted. I am really enjoying reading them.

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (Poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Thu 10th May 2012 15:50

I wouldn't ever consider myself an ardent monarchist. I don't buy into how tough a job it is. They fight wars to keep the throne, so the benfits must be pretty good.
On the other hand I am in some difficulty when I suggest an alternative state figurehead - David Cameron is the obvious choice, or Cameron/Clegg? or Ed Milliband? or someone non-political? David Beckham, perhaps? Katy Price? You see the problem.

Comment is about Sixty poems to mark Queen's 60 years (article)

Ann Foxglove

Thu 10th May 2012 15:37

Hi Oxana - an interesting poem! Not everyone likes the Parrot Sketch I guess - not something I have ever thought about before:) Welcome to WOL. An interesting profile too!

Comment is about Oxana Poberejnaia (Poet profile)

Original item by Oxana Poberejnaia

Ann Foxglove

Thu 10th May 2012 15:09

Thanks for recent kind & constructive comments Graham. I've not been writing much lately.

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (Poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Ann Foxglove

Thu 10th May 2012 15:08

Thanks both of you. Maxin de Winter is the not really very nice hero in the Daphne du Maurier book Rebecca. The Housel Bay Hotel has a du Maurier feel to it (from the outside anyway, I've never been inside.) It's on the Lizard where I've just spent a couple of weeks. M de W was my idea of a smoothy kind of guy, and I could imagine meeting such a chap in this rather 1930s oppulance - but would be happier camping with a thermos flask (and a nicer chap)I'm sure :)

Comment is about Waiting for Maxim . . . (blog)

Original item by Ann Foxglove

Thu 10th May 2012 15:03

The obvious is just that - often derided through ignorance, curious to relate.
The system here is all about checks and balances and if some people are unable to understand that, then they do not see the obvious...that it works! The preference for
what is chosen elsewhere is not relevant.
Even the Yanks agree: If it ain't broke, don't fix it...past, present or future.

Comment is about Sixty poems to mark Queen's 60 years (article)

Lynn Dye

Thu 10th May 2012 15:00

Lovely poem, you capture that longing at night time very well.

Comment is about Cupid's spindle (blog)

Original item by Lucy

Lynn Dye

Thu 10th May 2012 14:58

Hi Lucy, and welcome to WOL. I really like this poem, neat. x

Comment is about To My Love... (blog)

Original item by Lucy

Laura Taylor

Thu 10th May 2012 14:18

Indeedy Isobel

Mike - that's a massive over-reaction to pointing out a small typo. I point them out all the time. Don't you want to know if you got something wrong? Cos I sure as shit do. And the verse that distracts - well, that's how it affects Ray. Everyone is affected differently. Tbh - that's the biggest response to anyone posting on your poems that I've ever seen you do.

Disable comments if you don't want them. I used to be a bit prickly over critiques but these days I've progressed and actively seek them out.

Comment is about Insignia (blog)

Isobel

Thu 10th May 2012 14:04

If I were going to preserve something, I'd stick it in an air tight container. On here, you have the option of disabling comments. If you leave comments enabled, then you are inviting a response from anyone who reads the poem. That response could be positive or negative. It's great when it's a positive - but if not, a lot depends on the tone. Some people post on here to get genuine critique and meaningful feedback - it takes a while to suss out who those people are and some times we all make mistakes.

Comments that are downright abusive will be removed. In fact we all have the power to remove comments from our work. If a poet is only seeking positive feedback, perhaps they should leave a comment to say so...

Comment is about Insignia (blog)

steve black

Thu 10th May 2012 12:52

'Myth and the endless devil'

'A world of silly limbed animals'

'Each to the other a lowly genesis'

I'm still struggling with the scansion but again some terrific lines.

Comment is about all things (blog)

Original item by mark littler

Thu 10th May 2012 12:38

What about - the subtle meanings that creep through our choices of figurative ideas/specific word usage - that often reveal far more about ourselves than we realize? 'it' is the original Latin meaning of 'id'... just plain old 'it' ...undefinable ... Freud was a clever bloke.

Steve and Ray, I'm thinking that we aren't in sync with the idea of 'subplots' as being 'buried meaning.) What is your definition? And I'm open to suggestions always.

Comment is about it (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Thu 10th May 2012 12:34

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Steven Waling

Thu 10th May 2012 10:35

You can always tell someone who never thinks past the obvious by the way they always seem to think that any 'republic' that might happen would be like the previous one in England. As if we live in the age of the Puritans...

Ireland seems to do OK without kings, queens and all that paraphernalia. So does most of Europe. And America does pretty well...

Oh but we couldn't possibly be part of Europe... whatever next?

Comment is about Sixty poems to mark Queen's 60 years (article)

Thu 10th May 2012 09:08

A (possible) bio-graphical addition to the original Alice by Carroll and "White Rabbit" from Jefferson Airplane to form a very interesting trilogy. I think it invites further reading. Tommy
PS an amazing coincidence: as I was typing the above Lewis Carroll was referenced on BBC Radio 4's In our Time, an explanation of 'Game Theory'.

Comment is about Tea Party (blog)

Original item by Debbie Houghton

mike watts

Thu 10th May 2012 08:59

I post stuff on this site mainly to preserve it and if other people take enjoyment out of it then that's an added bonus. I have no ego problem at all, but i sometimes find it incredible how certain members dissect other people's poems and then critique them in a way that i would find extremely patronizing. No offence taken, i assure you. please feel free to delete this comment after you've read it.

Comment is about Insignia (blog)

Wytchewoode

Thu 10th May 2012 08:07

Thank you Lucy ... :)

Comment is about Once I Loved You (blog)

Original item by Steven Dark

Debbie Houghton

Thu 10th May 2012 07:34

I really love your poetry. It deeply emotional experience.

The imagery evoked of the forlorn seal desolate and alone in the grey loneliness of the moment. The emotionless sea cold and uncaring,the people in the tavern closing him away. A soul in agony rejected by his world. A small moment of life captured and expanded into a world of rejection and pain.
Brilliant!

Comment is about Patricia and Stefan Wilde (Poet profile)

Original item by Patricia and Stefan Wilde

Debbie Houghton

Thu 10th May 2012 06:41

John
I really love. "Ikea" (your poem not the shop I hasten to add!)

You write brilliant poetry it is so well structured, paced and crafted, and this is absolutely hilarious.

I was looking around for a poetry group and stumbled upon write aloud and yours was the first poem I read and thus I joined.

You are a bard in its truest sense.

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Debbie Houghton

Thu 10th May 2012 06:27

Oh Lynn
I do like "Teardrops in your Coffee" it's such a vivid picture of total despair and loss : the fragility and preciousness of love, so beautiful but so easily broken(China cup), the pain a sharp cutting knife, the emptiness and loss of identity (the plastic rose), being unwanted even by the waitress.
Your use of colour is clever and effective: her existence mirrored into the grey rainy, nothing outside the window an uncoloured world of misery in sharp opposition to the "cheerful " gingham tablecloth inside evocative of picnics and happy times but even then this becomes emotionally dark-coloured blue the colour that broke her heart.
Brilliant

Comment is about Lynn Dye (Poet profile)

Original item by Lynn Dye

Debbie Houghton

Thu 10th May 2012 05:26

This is brilliant I love the wordplay and you paint such a visual and mental image of the frustration and stress involved at the same time giving me a really good laugh

It's also a subject "dear " to my heart at the moment as my daughter is currently searching for their first foray in the fees

Comment is about House Hunting (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 151 302 418 419 420 421 422 453 604 755 906 1057 1208 1359 1507 1508 1509 Next -->