David Cooke

Tue 16th Feb 2010 17:21

Hi Cynthia Thanks again for the comments. We used to spend all the long summer holidays on my grandfather's farm in Ireland. I use to love going up in the hay and spent hours up there reading. I just wish I had the time to do some now!

garside

Mon 15th Feb 2010 13:15

HI Cynthia - thanks as ever for taking the time to read and make comment on my work

re Exegesis - tis a part of something bigger yes : )

kath hewitt

Sun 14th Feb 2010 20:09

Thank you Cynthia, very much. Quite like the Bolero touch too! As for marriage, well, we're in our 8th year now so....!! :)

David Cooke

Sat 13th Feb 2010 15:15

Hi Cynthia

Thanks for leaving the comment on The Tide. The poem could be about anyone really, but is actually about my wife's mother, She became increasingly difficult to deal with over the years, and for some reason she always seem to feel she had been cheated of some idealised life she deserved, yet never really made the most of the one (the only one) she had. Sad really.

Ann Foxglove

Fri 12th Feb 2010 22:33

Ooops! Getting my bodily fluids mixed up again! Maybe I meant spunk? I have led a very sheltered life! ;-)

garside

Fri 12th Feb 2010 19:20

Hi Cynthia -

t'was an exercise in reflection on a bad news day

Banksy

Fri 12th Feb 2010 14:48

Q- "I don't see how Vanilla Sex is talking 'dirty'. What is your definition of 'dirty'?
A - "well-not a lot of women seem to like the word cunt for a start - they seem to think that this good old anglo-saxon is rather demeaning. "Dirty" wasn't meant in a bad way anyway - did you ever hear about Woody Allen being asked if he thought sex was dirty? he replied - "only if it's done right" which just about sums it up for me (at least) :) B

Ann Foxglove

Fri 12th Feb 2010 12:45

Re Collision Course - thanks for commenting. I wrote this yesterday and didn't really like it. It's not a very "me" poem maybe. I did ponder long and hard about "cum" as it's a word I don't like the sound of! As to gender specific, I guess I was looking on blood as being more of a woman's word somehow.

Banksy

Thu 11th Feb 2010 20:24

Hi cynthia - irony - in both yours & my poems (vanilla) - its difficult to know how much to tell the reader - I've been accused of being both too obtuse & then again too obvious - it is a difficult balance to get right. I liked your poem because sometimes it's good to hear a woman talk dirty & just come out with it & say what she actually wants. In my poem the last verse is the reply from the woman saying that Her desires are darker still.

Greg Freeman

Thu 11th Feb 2010 15:13

Cynthia, thanks for your generous and thoughtful comments on The Tide and the Light. You're right, it has taken some time to emerge in this form. A version of the first stanza was written as a poem in its own right three years ago, a paean of praise to the modernist De La Warr Pavilion at Bexhill; my impressions on seeing it when I was alone. Last year I added the rest.

David Cooke

Wed 10th Feb 2010 11:31

Hi Cynthia Thanks for the kind comments. I think you definitely got what I was trying to do and am pleased you responded so positively to the last image.

Ann Foxglove

Mon 8th Feb 2010 08:10

Cynthia, thanks for commenting on Coromandel. Re the forgetting and blowing a kiss thing, I wanted to get the feeling across that I would oneday almost live on in such a place (if only!) and so that anyone coming across the meadow would just get a feeling that they wanted to send a wish or a thought to the spirit of the place (me)and blowing a kiss seems such a silent gentle special way of communicating. Whether the person had ever known me and forgotten me or not. And you can forget someone for an hour or two and then something, a place or a song or whatever, brings them back to you. Like perfume. Or something! xx

Antony Owen

Sun 7th Feb 2010 21:33

So many dark heints of expression in this and ----

Child of my dreams

Ripped from me in breech

Crumpled caved condemned

Jewels I tell you.

Great control of images and juxtaposition, not easy to do and even harder to do something with it as you've done.

Worth the vast comments made.

kath hewitt

Fri 5th Feb 2010 20:03

Hi Cynthia
Thank you for your fab comments on 'Bedtime'.
I would like to add that the removal of Daisy was a desperate last ditch attempt at getting my incredibly excellent 2yr old daughter to stay in bed!! We found it was the only thing that worked. After a couple of days she now knows if she want's Daisy, she has to stay in bed! Peace temporarily resumes!! x

Marianne Louise Daniels

Thu 4th Feb 2010 15:12

Hi Cynthia, just a little note to say thank you for your comments.
Take care
Marianne x

winston plowes

Tue 2nd Feb 2010 13:57

Thanks for reading and commenting on 'Pelt'. Glad you liked it. I have just got back from a weekend away on 'The Dinosaur coast' In a village called Staithes(Near Whitby) I have also changed the pic on the blog entry to one of mine which shows the view from the holiday cottage 2 nights ago. A stunning place. As a lad we used to get gypsies selling pegs door to door. These were made of whittled sticks bound together with strips of metal cut from tins (they were pretty useless actually) Yes the word Pelt struck me as relating to both new skin and the rain and it's also a great word. Win x

kath hewitt

Sat 30th Jan 2010 16:40

Hi, don't worry about the chat thing, i'm sure it will be sorted, though i wouldn't be able to tell you how!x

kealan coady

Sat 30th Jan 2010 16:36

tanks for the comment cynth wen i say knowledge is a tranquilizer i mean it is medication from the pain of not knowing. Also the reference to death of an embryo is the sub conscious anguish of a foetus from losing something attached by d.n.a.

Ann Foxglove

Sat 30th Jan 2010 16:00

Both! (your comment on my dolphin poem). Someone was telling me yesterday about how they'd seen a pod of dolphins when they were on holiday in New Zealand. Some people were swimming with them, but my friend said she didn't think that was a good idea as it might upset the dolphins. I'm not sure if she meant upset in quite this way, but that's how I saw it. Poor unpaid councillors to the human race! xx

stefan wilde

Sat 30th Jan 2010 15:55

Good afternoon Cynthia-(re my'letter' poem).As always,thank you for your observations and fair comments.Yes I see your point.The overall target I was aiming for was the sender being as you suggested uncertain,but also frustrated that the person he or she had written to had no knowledge of the senders desires and wantings.This little poem mentioned lines of meanderings(outside the actual poem itself)and by the tone of his/her wording,he/she hoped would hold some appeal maybe.Thank you again so much.As I have mentioned to you before,your comments are a very good inspirational measure,be they praise or criticism.I shall always look up to you and your wonderful work on this site.my very best regards. Stefanx.

Janet Ramsden

Fri 29th Jan 2010 15:54

Hi Cynthia,
thankyou for your comment on Mr. Skoulikaris. It really is appreciated and i've missed your input to my poems because you are always so helpful and encouraging at the same time.

Incidentally, i too would hope that the fisherman did not catch the dolphin. Maybe the fish that ate the worm was proverbially speaking 'the one that got away' and that fish fed the dolphin?
Continuous existence of some kind.

As for Darwin influencing the poem. Who knows what's possible?
Janet.x

John Aikman

Wed 27th Jan 2010 16:16

Thank you for your kind comments with regard to 'Martin'. Nobody seems to have picked up the slightly 'Brideshead' vibe that I had hoped to create...how come I know his tears were hot, and what his breath smelled of? I think I may have edited it a bit hard and taken out the obvious signifiers. Can a poem be too subtle? I hope to submit it as my final piece for the OU course that I've been doing and I think I may have inadvertently turned a tale of boiling unrequited love into a piece of whimsy?

Your comments are always valued.

Thank you.

Jx

Thom Blake

Tue 26th Jan 2010 11:45

Hi Cynthia, thanks for your comment, helpful and insightful as ever. I've corrected the typo. I can't decide about the opening line, I did wonder about it for a while but then I just got used to it being that way. I may yet adjust though... Cheers, Thom

Mon 25th Jan 2010 12:40

Hello Cynthia, thank you very much for your comments on January. I suppose it's all to do with the looking back and forward at the same time, the Janus thing, January often being the most miserable of months for many. thank you again. Graham

Ann Foxglove

Sun 24th Jan 2010 13:09

Thanks Cynthia for another kind comment (Valkyrie). Maybe it's because I am a gemini that lots of odd thoughts pop into my head!I will post a poem called Butterfly Mind sometime, kind of sums it up. Much love Ann x

garside

Sat 23rd Jan 2010 18:24

Hi Cynthia

thanks again for reading and considered comment

steve x

Thaumaturgically Charged

Thu 21st Jan 2010 12:50

Hi Cynthia I could not be happier with your succinct appraisal of my latest offering.Thank you ;-) TC X

Angel

Thu 21st Jan 2010 11:40

Cynthia, it absolutely made my day to read your comment on my poem 'Tear drop' - thank you so much for taking that time and for being so kind - I was just so in need of such a lovely boost as well!

stefan wilde

Wed 20th Jan 2010 12:30

Good morning Cynthia.All comments are as always,kindly welcomed.Yours I hold especially dear.Your evaluations are extremely important to me and all on here.Keep well lovely Lady.Stefan.

Ann Foxglove

Wed 20th Jan 2010 11:53

Thanks so much for your recent comments Cynthia. The title Fable came to mind because the poem made me think of an ancient copy of Aesop's Fables that someone gave me when I was a child. All the stories seemed to be about animals, the illustrations were lovely, and when I saw the dove and the fox in my mind, I thought of that book.

kealan coady

Wed 20th Jan 2010 11:26

thanks cynth.

garside

Tue 19th Jan 2010 08:51

Hi Cynthia -
thanks for taking the time to read and make comment on GTi

steve x

kealan coady

Sat 16th Jan 2010 15:36

thank you very much for your kind words.

Steve Regan

Fri 15th Jan 2010 18:04

Hi Cynthia, thanks for sending "Perspective" to me.

I enjoyed it very much, in its themes and in its writing, and of course the use of the phrase "through a glass darkly". How right to bring to the fore the fact that we can have but imperfect vision and understanding.

Paul is so quotable. I loved what he said about fighting the good fight and running the race to the finish.

If you haven't already read it, I recommend the novel "The Elegance of the Hedgehog" by Muriel Barbary. It's about some of the very things your poem touches upon ... being considered an outsider, scholarship, humility. It's a lovely, philosphical and humane story.

Very best wishes,

Steve R

Fri 15th Jan 2010 17:27

Hello Cynthia and many thanks for your kind comments about "Mole".
I used funereal gauze as trees in mist/fog always remind me of being under burial shrouds.
I used nauseous because the oppressive silence when one stands in a snowscape can be really debilitating. Funiily enough I didn't reckon on their rhyme value, Regards, Graham

Steve Regan

Wed 13th Jan 2010 22:00

Hi Cynth.Yes email your poem inspired by "through the glass darkly"
stvregan@yahoo.com
I'l love to read it.

Steve Mellor

Wed 13th Jan 2010 21:51

Hi Cynthia
Comment appreciated.
As a voluntary worker in my local school, I often feel that parents are looking and wondering what an old gimmer like me is doing working with 6 and 7 year old children.

Steve Mellor

Mon 11th Jan 2010 13:25

Hello again Cynthia
I suppose most of my poems are 'worked on' to some extent.
I write almost everything sat at my computer, generally arriving at a draft fairly quickly. I then let it sit, and generally keep returning to the computer over the next 24 hours and perhaps change the odd word or two, but the bulk of it remains. Fine tuning may be the best phrase, if that doesn't sound too up-myself.
Thanks for the message
x Steve x

Steve Mellor

Sun 10th Jan 2010 13:46

Hi Cynthia
Thanks for the comment.
I know it sounds naive, but I'm not sure what 'worked on' means. Put before a workshop? I wouldn't go near one. I'm not blase, it's just that a poem wouldn't be mine afterwards.
The poem came to mind after the Copenhagen conference on climate change, and a comment by a scientist that we are only 2 degrees away from an irreversible change in our climate.
xx Steve xx

Pete Crompton

Sun 10th Jan 2010 13:03

"Rude logic measures the steel, the wind, the wand" love that.

thanks for your encouragement and continued comment, I read your profil and would love to chat apres poetry event! Never enough time to talk at these gigs!

Pete x

winston plowes

Sun 10th Jan 2010 07:35

Hi Cynthia. thanks for reading 'Browns Convention'. the poem has been edited and I have added some commentary on the blog. Win :-)

Shirley Alexander

Thu 7th Jan 2010 22:29

Thank you for reading "Timeline". Your kind comments are most appreciated.

I like "Force Seven".very much. I'm from Georgia, U.S.A., and I know a lot of people recognize us for our accents. I am just as intrigued by accents and expressions different from what I normally encounter in my part of the world. I especially like "Higgledy-piggledy"; Brilliant!

Mingo Backhair

Thu 7th Jan 2010 21:27

Thank ye kindly for your comments and advice - don't worry, we pirates make more withdrawals than investments!

spencer

Thu 7th Jan 2010 19:29

Hi Cynthia , I am not Welsh. I will have to look at the Celtic reference's regarding coffin and plural. As always an interesting point.

spencer

Wed 6th Jan 2010 19:18

Cynthia , glad you like my New Year contribution, thank you for your comments, they are always welcomed as they are intelligent and constructive.
I see your additions are well worth reading as always.

Deborah Jordan

Wed 6th Jan 2010 11:59

Hello Cynthia and Happy New Year. .Thank you for your kind comments on Villtur Augu.I hope I didn't cause you to waffle for too long : ) I didn't mean the stone Angels, ( that sounds like a band) more about individuals who I could take to be one thing, but who could be another.Judging them by clouded thoughts when they could be Angels in covens. hmm, sometimes I lose part of myself..sometimes I also lose another person..but you're right,neither are dead in the literal sense, it just feels like it at times. thanks again for reading and giving my words so much thought, deb xx

Darren Thomas

Tue 5th Jan 2010 22:04

Thanks for your attention Cynthia - your comments are always near the mark.

Ann Foxglove

Tue 5th Jan 2010 21:37

Thanks for your kind comments on the weather girl. If you'd heard the audio the poem wouldn't have surprised you with it's ending! It features my son trying to sound like a dirty old man, and making a worryingly good job of it!

Isobel

Mon 4th Jan 2010 17:07

Hi Cynthia - I'm going to be writing up my WOLOP summary tomorrow. Just wondered if you had a favourite this month. Don't worry if you haven't - just thought I'd check... x

Sat 2nd Jan 2010 20:12