Cathy Crabb

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 11:52

Thanks Steve. I love the camaraderie and the high concentrate of femininity in the hairdressers. They work really hard and people walk out feeling great. I love hairdressers.

Comment is about Ode to The Hairdressers (blog)

Original item by CathyLCrabb

Cathy Crabb

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 11:47

Thank you you's. I am pleased with the meter of this, it staggers like the protagonist.

Sadly Solar, this is more an ode to my weak willed guzzling than a comment on the drain of the emergency services (and since you are of the stellar persuasion did you know that everything is worse for those on the over-festive frontline when it is a full moon?)though I can tell you no paramedic was pestered during the writing of this poem!

Comment is about Tipples (blog)

Original item by CathyLCrabb

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 11:41

How on earth did I miss the chance to use that line, Starfish? You've embarrassed me.

Comment is about The Hoaxers (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Starfish

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 10:52

An enjoyable read!

Comment is about My mind, confused (blog)

Original item by Mimi Machakaire

Starfish

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 10:47

And their promises are a pocketful of mumbles too. One of my favourite songs incidentally.

Comment is about The Hoaxers (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Starfish

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 10:43

This is so sweet. I can never get my dogs to pose for a photo, they always shoot off - something to sniff, something to chase.

Comment is about Canis Angelicus (blog)

Original item by STEVE RUDD

Starfish

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 10:34

Hilarious. Hope you aren't writing from personal experience!

Comment is about The Ballad Of The Artful Dodger (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Dominic James

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 09:45

My reaction is the same as MC Newberry's, and for access to particular books there are clearly alternatives to having them sent directly from home.

That aside, it does seem even from the occasional media coverage that our prison system is in serious trouble. For instance, I find it deeply disconcerting services are being tendered out to private companies.

Comment is about Carol Ann Duffy leads poetry reading outside Pentonville jail in books protest (article)

Laura Taylor

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 09:15

Morning Steve

I'm chuffed to have helped inspire you to write more, and on such a lovely subject too.

I haven't had the rules through yet for the slam, so it may differ, but as far as I know, it's done in rounds. You get 3 minutes to do your poem. If you go over, you lose points or are disqualified. I went over last time - won't be bloody doing that again!! Grr! You get scored on the poem, and the highest scores go through to the next round which is probably the final round. Then scored again and whoever gets the most wins. I'll be honest - it's a money thing for me. I loathe the thought of competing in such a subjective area, but we are arse-bones skint, and could do with the dosh.

Comment is about steve mellor (Poet profile)

Original item by steve mellor

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 07:43

Yvonne, I suspect this entry will pass off with less vitriol than my previous take on Benn!

Comment is about The Hoaxers (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Wed 2nd Apr 2014 07:37

No wonder you've been under the blankets for so long, Bonny. You've been composing this magnum opus.
I can completely relate to your hero but would suggest he invests in that useful tool of bodgers, the rackate'een.

Comment is about The Ballad Of The Artful Dodger (blog)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Steve Rudd

Tue 1st Apr 2014 23:22

Hi Yvonne

Freedom of Spirit Trust for Border Collies

www.fostbc.org.uk

Comment is about Canis Angelicus (blog)

Original item by STEVE RUDD

Yvonne Brunton

Tue 1st Apr 2014 22:54

Ah so true - and the list of extra verses could be as numerous as all our MP's xx

Comment is about The Hoaxers (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Yvonne Brunton

Tue 1st Apr 2014 22:50

Hi Steve,

love this and second your emotions. By a weird coincidence I am looking for a rescue dog - a border collie. xx

Comment is about Canis Angelicus (blog)

Original item by STEVE RUDD

Tue 1st Apr 2014 20:50

Hello Pat and welcome to Write Out Loud. I’m really looking forward to reading some of your work. I know that you will be warmly welcomed by fellow WOL-ers on the site. If you haven’t already added a picture to your profile please try and do so. It’s good to see what our fellow poets look like.
Have a good browse around the site, there’s lots going on and if you have the time make some comments about the work of other poets please feel free. It’s the best way to get some constructive feedback about your own work too.
Any problems, please ask. There’s always someone who’ll get back to you. It’s a friendly place, so welcome once again.

By the way, I'm going to see Pam Ayres in Kettering tomorrow.

Comment is about pat jones (Poet profile)

Original item by pat jones

Julian (Admin)

Tue 1st Apr 2014 15:58

I own up that I had never heard of him, but shall read him now. Thank you Frances.

Comment is about He wrote in the trenches, and died in 1918. But Isaac Rosenberg did not see himself as a war poet (article)

Yvonne Brunton

Tue 1st Apr 2014 15:11

Hi Steve
that sounds like a good project for when I retire - I'll just have to get to grips with the scanner now!
My mother used to tell me the names of relatives in her old photos but sadly I never wrote them down.

Comment is about steve mellor (Poet profile)

Original item by steve mellor

steve mellor

Tue 1st Apr 2014 12:33

Hi Bessie
Thanks for making me reflect.
My Mum was really good with a needle, but she was very talented (artistic) at colouring black and white photographs
I actually enjoyed writing this (which isn't always the case)
I've seen you're doing a slam in Warrington. I won't be going, but what are the rules? I'm always intrigued at the various kind of slams

Comment is about Laura Taylor (Poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

steve mellor

Tue 1st Apr 2014 12:29

Hi Yvonne
Thanks for taking the time to comment on my little piece 'Snapshot'
I found a couple of old photo's of me when I was a tot, and realised (from the snaps) how different life was for me, compared to what my Grandchildren are ploughing through
I've started scanning the important photos (with ancient relations etc) and noted the names of those who will fade from memory in another generation, and put them into a Powerpoint slide-show

Comment is about Yvonne Brunton (Poet profile)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Julian (Admin)

Tue 1st Apr 2014 12:29

Indeed, Frances. What is the point of these people reading, they asked when the idea of educating all children was mooted in the early nineteenth century. As for prisoners...

Julian (Admin)

Tue 1st Apr 2014 12:05

It is inspiring to read all of this. what brilliant folks there are about. Poetry is alive and well, and being reported here.

Comment is about Aid for inspiration: poets win Literature Wales bursary awards (article)

Julian (Admin)

Tue 1st Apr 2014 11:21

What a fascinating story Greg! Intrigue still surrounding those two poetry giants.

Comment is about On the trail of Ted Hughes: more twists in tale of biographer's row with estate (article)

Noris Roberts

Tue 1st Apr 2014 00:40

Thank you for the comment that you left in my poem. I love to read your work xD

Comment is about Rose Casserley (Poet profile)

Original item by Rose Casserley

Dave Bradley

Tue 1st Apr 2014 00:10

Hi Greg. The Tudor is always a possibility and more so if you'll be there. Hopefully......

Comment is about Greg Freeman (Poet profile)

Dave Bradley

Tue 1st Apr 2014 00:04

I've been in the city since '74 Barney and your poems do hit a lot of nails on the head as well as being well written. Please don't write off all the grants though. Some of them have done a lot of real good.

Keep 'em coming.

Comment is about barney rooney (Poet profile)

Original item by barney rooney

Mon 31st Mar 2014 21:13

Hello Barney and welcome to Write Out Loud. I’m really looking forward to reading some of your work. I know that you will be warmly welcomed by fellow WOL-ers on the site. If you haven’t already added a picture to your profile please try and do so. It’s good to see what our fellow poets look like.

Comment is about barney rooney (Poet profile)

Original item by barney rooney

Greg Freeman

Mon 31st Mar 2014 20:51

I know from social media that there has been a great deal of interest in this article, Frances. It has made me want to read more of Rosenberg's poetry. Coincidentally, there was a BBC4 documentary the other day on another "forgotten" war poet, Ivor Gurney, who survived the war, but who sadly died in an asylum http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03zq4cb/The_Poet_who_Loved_the_War_Ivor_Gurney/

Greg Freeman

Mon 31st Mar 2014 19:42

Two marvellous poems about Liverpool, Barney, full of memorable lines and phrases.

Comment is about barney rooney (Poet profile)

Original item by barney rooney

Laura Taylor

Mon 31st Mar 2014 15:54

:) Nice snapshot Steve.

Comment is about Snapshot (blog)

Original item by steve mellor

Julian (Admin)

Mon 31st Mar 2014 12:32

For me this what poetry is and does, snags you emotionally or intellectually, or even amusingly. It might be classic lines or just someone reading their own poem at an open-mic night that has resonance, touches me in some way.

On the Today programme last week, I noticed that, when the young woman could be heard reacting to hearing her first sounds in 40 years of life, John Humphreys took a minute before he could introduce the next item.

And I am old, Father William.

Comment is about If you have tears, prepare to shed them now: the poetry that makes chaps weep (article)

Julian (Admin)

Mon 31st Mar 2014 11:27

A superb review Greg which I found moving in itself, so the play must have been something else. Hats off to Simon Armitage.

Comment is about The Killing of Sophie Lancaster: a tragedy that continues to haunt (article)

Greg Freeman

Mon 31st Mar 2014 09:10

I hope we meet one day, too, Dave - and it could be sooner than you think! Will you be at Write Out Loud Wigan in May by any chance? I'm planning a lightning tour of the north that week.

Comment is about Dave Bradley (Poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Sun 30th Mar 2014 23:16

Hello Yvonne,
Thankyou and Thankyou for reading this twice. The story is 95% true but I'll leave the boundary for you to identify.

Comment is about t'Monkey - "Deliverance" meets "Kes" (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Mar 2014 22:44

The advantage of Google is that it reminds us that machines can be as falible as humans and your brief encounter with the Thurgs reminds us there's nowt so queer as folk. I enjoyed reading this so much I read it again.( or was it just my laptop playing up again?)xx

Comment is about t'Monkey - "Deliverance" meets "Kes" (blog)

Original item by John Coopey

Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Mar 2014 22:38

I enjoyed this and it brought back similer memories of the jungle I inherited when I moved house. Some really good phrases like 'thorn whipped' and 'elaborate as candelabra' A well observed piece. xx

Comment is about untitled (blog)

Original item by fiona sinclair

Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Mar 2014 22:32

Yes Photo collections hold so many memories but soon picture galleries will replace them and who will have time to wade through the plethora of shots that can be held electronically? The tactile element of holding the photo and maybe reading a cryptic annotation whilst trying to remember the event will be lost. This lovely, nostalgic poem will be a 'snapshot' of a bygone era.

Comment is about Snapshot (blog)

Original item by steve mellor

Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Mar 2014 22:25

surreally intersting

Comment is about Hit (blog)

Original item by jeremy young

Yvonne Brunton

Sun 30th Mar 2014 21:45

Hi there J C, light of my darkness. Time flies when you're having fun they say so I guess it's been dragging for me as the mundane minutiae of daily life make ever more calls upon my time. Time I retired methinks ( oh no that means more grandchildren sitting!!)
I must sharpen my biro, muster my words with sharp threats to put them back in the dictionary if they don't behave, push the cat off my lap, drag myself away from the cosy log fire and work out how to switch the laptop on.
xx

Comment is about John Coopey (Poet profile)

Original item by John Coopey

Sun 30th Mar 2014 21:35

Sun 30th Mar 2014 16:05

I am always wary of protests which appear to
indicate official error yet may, in fact, be
ignoring the complete picture.
What of prison libraries? Are these now out of
bounds? If so, then the error is indeed wrong-headed.
Chris Grayling MP mentions packages from outside
prison walls. Are these being used to include
otherwise innocent items that serve to smuggle
less educational content? Books have a history
of being used for this purpose...often with
great skill.

Frances Spurrier

Sun 30th Mar 2014 15:58

Remind me which century we are living in again ...

Sun 30th Mar 2014 13:21

There you are, Yvonne! I was getting Lover's Balls waiting for you to re-appear.
I hope you are keeping well and you mysterious disappearance was not caused by anything serious.
Have you dried up? You haven't posted any poems for quite a while.

Comment is about Yvonne Brunton (Poet profile)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Kenneth Eaton-Dykes

Sun 30th Mar 2014 12:20

I listened to the the radio play and the repeat twelve months later, and must admit I have never been effected so much emotionally, before or since.
it reduced my daughter, and several other friends I know to tears. A masterpiece born of a terrible tragedy.

Louise

Sat 29th Mar 2014 21:21

Hi Yvonne. Thank you for liking my Disturbing Verse. It's very encouraging.

Comment is about Yvonne Brunton (Poet profile)

Original item by Yvonne Brunton

Sat 29th Mar 2014 16:12

Thank you, Yvonne. Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment is about MY LONDON - music setting (blog)

Original item by M.C. Newberry

Sat 29th Mar 2014 14:50

'Poems about our children' is a topic currently in the Discussion Arena. I would like to see more on site. I do not consider them 'schmaltzy'.

Comment is about The Mirror (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

jan oskar hansen

Sat 29th Mar 2014 10:25

I better not listen cry like a river over little,
like a child´s laughter

Sat 29th Mar 2014 09:59

Hello Chilangwa and welcome to Write Out Loud. I’m really looking forward to reading some of your work. I know that you will be warmly welcomed by fellow WOL-ers on the site. If you haven’t already added a picture to your profile please try and do so. It’s good to see what our fellow poets look like.

Comment is about Chilangwa (Poet profile)

Original item by Chilangwa

Sat 29th Mar 2014 09:55

Hello Denita and welcome to Write Out Loud. I’m really looking forward to reading some of your work. I know that you will be warmly welcomed by fellow WOL-ers on the site. If you haven’t already added a picture to your profile please try and do so. It’s good to see what our fellow poets look like.

Comment is about Denita (Poet profile)

Original item by Denita

Greg Freeman

Sat 29th Mar 2014 09:26

Daisy Behagg, winner of last year's Bridport prize, has won the first award http://mad.ly/ad47a4?o=tm

Comment is about Templar launches quarterly short poetry pamphlets award (article)

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 146 147 148 149 150 298 447 596 745 894 1043 1192 1341 1486 1487 1488 Next -->