Sun 27th Sep 2015 21:35

A powerful vignette , Stu to ponder over ; it grabbed me - a sense of dislocation from the past is sometimes valuable. As you get to my age, it all seems so academic in some way.
Thanks so much for you glowing comments on my London extravaganza. I'm on safe ground with a bit of history I think!

Comment is about incarnartion (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Sun 27th Sep 2015 21:24

Just to say, Graham, that there are "lucky" ones who have stopped asking, and who bask in some sort of glory known only to others of similar beliefs. They have the answer (enlightenment or self delusion) prescribed gospels. I am of your mindset although I would claim to hold certain principles that transcend the material plane .Enough said. Clever last line by the way.

Comment is about Quest? (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Sun 27th Sep 2015 21:17

Now I understand a lot Colin. No one wants to be alone, and we have to make compromises with partners but its real; so this poem makes complete sense to me and from the heart. You can't knock that ...

Comment is about Curly Hairs (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Sun 27th Sep 2015 20:52

No! Wait, Graham! I know the answer to this one. Aaaaarrrrgh, it's on the tip of my tongue....

Comment is about Quest? (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Sun 27th Sep 2015 20:34

"Ignore the unfounded rumours
of pus- in your milk
and other stuff
which are also quite scary,"
said the white coated chap
with the clipboard and cap
and the man who's
in charge of the dairy.

words and foto Tommy Carroll

Comment is about Kody (poet profile)

Original item by Kody

Colin Hill

Sun 27th Sep 2015 19:01

Thanks David - I'm sure he would have liked that.

Comment is about Curly Hairs (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Sun 27th Sep 2015 18:37

Graham, when the now is done, the now is not just gone, it is not. Not gone nor done just is part of everything that has gone before or yet to come.

Comment is about Quest? (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

David Moore

Sun 27th Sep 2015 18:24

Thats rather lovely!

I'd have been his friend.

David

Comment is about Curly Hairs (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Sun 27th Sep 2015 16:02

Harry - I note your comment on the Greg Freeman post about the guy in fawn jacket and straw hat - and your
lament for an old "disappearing" England.
Fortunately, all is not yet lost and the sight of Nigel
Farage singing the National Anthem in strong voice at the
close of the Ukip conference in Doncaster is just one sign
of the refusal of the "old " England to go quietly. Indeed,
there is always the action/reaction effect and the changes
being imposed by political decisions show signs of rewakening old forces of feeling that have usually lain
dormant in the homegrown heart.

Comment is about Harry O`N eill (poet profile)

Original item by Harry O`N eill

Sun 27th Sep 2015 15:48

Perhaps we'll know when death tunes us into the unknown
beyond these mortal remnants.
As I have observed elsewhere, we are only aware of the
presence of a TV signal when we have the right
equipment to decipher it to something visible and audible
to our present human senses. Is it not possible that
the move from "life" to "death" transfers and re-tunes our receptors to an altogether different wavelength?

Comment is about Quest? (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Stu Buck

Sun 27th Sep 2015 13:26

ray this is gorgeous. what a great character study and the last lines are fantastic. you have captured history and time beautifully and the switch from human to spiritual and enormous is one you are swiftly mastering.

Comment is about THE TALE OF GREGORY MAITLAND (blog)

Original item by ray pool

Andre White

Sun 27th Sep 2015 03:46

This is beautiful. I like short poems. My favorite part is the how you describe the sun cutting through the leaves.

Comment is about The Possibilities (blog)

Original item by Katherine Carvotta

Sat 26th Sep 2015 16:29

Having just read your bio, is all your work collaborative?

Comment is about Listen (blog)

Original item by mindful.duo

Sat 26th Sep 2015 16:25

Picking up on a couple of the observations within this thread.

I find it interesting that the performance poetry element of today's poetry scene feel themselves to be the great unwashed, whereas I, a self-confessed, stoic page poet feel exactly the opposite with the PP boys and girls ruling the poetry roost as it were.

Secondly ranting (and its musical arm Punk) never did anything for me. I've been ranted at for many years and can't remember a word of it, one of my only complaints with Punk as a genre (largely unintelligible) sadly.

Even Ben Elton (one of the loudest ranters of his time) grew up eventually and wrote some quality stuff.

I do however give full respect to Atila for making a living out of poetry (whatever the style) not many can achieve that.

Good review as always Greg.

Graham

Comment is about 'Poetry books will sell if people can relate to what you are writing': Attila the Stockbroker (article)

David Moore

Sat 26th Sep 2015 15:39

Lea, I find myself responding to your lovely work here unfortunately moments after you have commented upon something I wrote. Sorry for that, If it seems somehow I am acting out of a self imposed obligation, I am not.

There are similarities with "Rooftops" in the subject matter here, it struck me so obviously. You capture the existence of beauty and survival in a bleak landscape, and how that landscape in many ways gives that fleck of beauty greater meaning.

How dignity and things of great value can survive in such stark surrounds is magnificent to me, and you have captured and related it beautifully and brilliantly.

Thanks.

David.

Comment is about Weed (blog)

Original item by Leander

David Moore

Sat 26th Sep 2015 15:19

Thanks for your comments on "Rooftops" Lea,

I hope I have conveyed what it feels like to be in such a place. How nowhere is peace more intense than where the tension of it being broken is like electricity in the air.

Thanks for reading and your encouraging comments.

David

Comment is about Leander (poet profile)

Original item by Leander

Sat 26th Sep 2015 14:38

The tenacity behind the words/deeds of the subject of
this excellent interview deserves respect and qualified
admiration. "Qualified" insofar that someone with "little
time for Betjeman" can't be too perfect :-)
I have/had no identification with the punk style and all
that posturing through spitting etc. I think that the
previous generations of music makers/performers had
nothing to learn from such antics and can imagine the
shudders had they been around. But everything to its
time and place perhaps. Style can't be described but
you know it when you find it...and style always lasts
whereas "fashion" and "fads" soon fade, to be recalled by those who were summoned and seduced by their passing attractions.

Martin Elder

Sat 26th Sep 2015 14:36

A powerful piece full of emotion and hope. I like my heart was full of jumbled clots of emotion.

Comment is about Then and Now (blog)

Original item by Eris

Sat 26th Sep 2015 14:02

This has the bitter-sweet tang of "nearly". I'm not sure
about "them medical personals" but the theme reminds me of some words from a great song of yesteryear.
"Unrequited love's a bore
And I've got it pretty bad
But for someone you adore
It's a pleasure to be sad."

Comment is about Girl with a diamond heart (blog)

Original item by V'j@¥

Julian (Admin)

Sat 26th Sep 2015 12:01

Excellent, and well deserved.

Comment is about University awards Jo Bell an honorary degree for services to poetry (article)

Julian (Admin)

Sat 26th Sep 2015 11:59

Mark, I am pleased at your passion for performance poetry, though I think we should avoid falling into the trap of criticising those parts of the wider poetry world with which we are as yet unfamiliar. Critical Discourse Analysis has its place in enabling those who are interested in such matters to think more deeply about written material, including poetry, in a wider, political and social context. Interestingly, your comments themselves are a form of critical discourse analysis. So, I commend your desire to critique the approach, and would urge you to be more specific in your analysis than the words 'mumbo jumbo'. Might make a great discussion, so thanks for raising it.

mark govier

Sat 26th Sep 2015 08:05

Excellent to see this 'genre' of poetry presented so well by Attila in this interview. Ranting, raving, performance poetry, etc. Anything but that which sinister gangs of sub-onanists in too many English Departments want. Heard of Critical Discourse Analysis? Neither had I til recently. Another abstruse mumbo-jumbo 'technique' to 'analyse' poetry. And they want subject the outside world to it!

Fri 25th Sep 2015 22:10

Hi Michelle, do you write these thoughts down? or share them with friends ? Tommy

Comment is about love is like the ocean (blog)

Original item by michelle hatten

Fri 25th Sep 2015 21:41

Michelle (predictive text just popped up Obama' lol) welcome to the site :-) Tommy

Comment is about im a good girl just have alot of bad habits (blog)

Original item by michelle hatten

Fri 25th Sep 2015 21:37

Again... Tommy

Comment is about finally at peace (blog)

Original item by michelle hatten

Fri 25th Sep 2015 21:36

At least your writing on this site gives you a degree of release. Tommy

Comment is about family problems (blog)

Original item by michelle hatten

Fri 25th Sep 2015 21:34

Harsh, very harsh Michelle. Tommy

Comment is about sadness with anger (blog)

Original item by michelle hatten

Nigel Astell

Fri 25th Sep 2015 15:56

The Enchanted Art Gallery Weekend

Went down yesterday they have already set up some of the work down stairs for viewing.

I think our work will be put upstairs where we meet and they are still sorting out all the art work that has been accepted.

They have had seventy pieces sent in and are very pleased with the high quality of creativity.

Comment is about Stockport WoL (poet profile)

Original item by Stockport WoL

Fri 25th Sep 2015 15:30

I think you're really lucky to get anywhere near an original primeval taste of nature - the elements should get you there, plus of course the lovely fella!

I got my saw from B&Q for £80 with the charger - ok for your small stuff, but its slow and silly. What you need is a lopping axe and a mask to scare people off. (Except me of course). regards ray

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Colin Hill

Fri 25th Sep 2015 15:07

I'm too scared John - love the new smiley pic btw

Comment is about scary poem (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

John Bastard

Fri 25th Sep 2015 14:02

you'd ought to recite this.

Comment is about scary poem (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

George Stanworth

Fri 25th Sep 2015 11:29

Thanks for your kind words M.C Newberry.

Comment is about REM's Premonition (blog)

Original item by George Stanworth

Julian (Admin)

Fri 25th Sep 2015 11:10

What a superb interview, Greg and Attila. As many know, that quote of Adrian Mitchell's is at the heart of Write Out Loud's philosophy, though, as Attila reminds us, performance poetry is but one part of the poetry spectrum, an increasingly popular part. Many thanks for this great interview.

Laura Taylor

Fri 25th Sep 2015 11:07

ooOOoo cordless eh? I looked at them but the sodding charger cost more than the saw itself! Bugger that.

Nope - we only have outdoor fires. I'd love to convert the gas fire into a proper one, as I grew up with a coal fire and am quite obsessed with flames in general :D Was a bit of a firebug as a child - everything got burned!

Comment is about ray pool (poet profile)

Original item by ray pool

Laura Taylor

Fri 25th Sep 2015 10:40

I feel a bit breathless after reading this. So many images flying at me, such a feeling of speed - sort of mirroring the crash itself perhaps. There definitely feels like a Mangum influence to this too.

Another cracker Stu. Blimey.

Comment is about Blink (blog)

Original item by Stuart Buck

Stu Buck

Thu 24th Sep 2015 22:59

do you perform these live? there is so much sexy word play in here it would be a shame if you didnt. in fact the whole thing is very hiphopian. which is a word i made up.

Comment is about Scott Peterson 0000 (09/24/2015) (blog)

Original item by Zach Dafoe

Colin Hill

Thu 24th Sep 2015 22:37

Ray - your comments made me laugh - thanks so much. I never thought to use the paper to wipe my arse - that would have been a good ending. Cheers.

Comment is about shit travels (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Thu 24th Sep 2015 21:53

a very detailed inner journey delicately and beautifully depicted . Nice work.

Comment is about The inner landscape (blog)

Original item by Marie-Anne

Thu 24th Sep 2015 21:48

Collin, The next move would be to actually use the paper for wiping, a commonplace practice in the dim and distant!
Things havn't really moved on, but the gap widens - the poverty gap that is, not the distance travelled to the bowl!
I jest of course, but the sentiment is well delivered and concise, and makes me think your'e more than ok as it is. regards, Ray

Comment is about shit travels (blog)

Original item by Colin Hill

Anna Ghislena

Thu 24th Sep 2015 19:57

I know I'm a bit late but loved this. Sums up a load of memories.

Comment is about ROCK GIG (blog)

Original item by nick armbrister

Anna Ghislena

Thu 24th Sep 2015 19:54

Ah! If only someone wrote a poem like that for me.

Comment is about I want to be your Rock and Roll (blog)

Original item by Spencer Robertshaw - 07703 558825

Stu Buck

Thu 24th Sep 2015 17:43

this is excellent, like a richard thompson lyric in its mournful beauty.

Comment is about Rainy September (blog)

Original item by John Marks

Thu 24th Sep 2015 17:00

That all sounds delightful Laura - very middle earth. Although we have meagre funds, the access to Surrey woods is limited to walking dogs and 4X4 family bonding with health and safety uppermost. No chance of me wading about with the chainsaw, although I do have a cordless one! Ok for light jobs. Sorry to be boring, but do you not season yours before consigning them to the flames? Outdoors it doesn't matter anyway, but we have a log burner, so we're only playing at it! About £60 so far - but then don't forget the cost of the wine!
Yes I altered a word near the end and you spotted it, and thanks. I thought it was pivotal .

Comment is about Laura Taylor (poet profile)

Original item by Laura Taylor

Nigel Astell

Thu 24th Sep 2015 16:01

Just to let you know Martin in 1990 I did do a home made movie called The Fantastic Foursome but my acting name was Stretchy Rubber Rocket and not Tommy.

The only thing I can add is I did have a moustache but it was ginger and I did not have a short fuse but liked drinking milk from my girlfriend Big Breasted Mary who was having a baby by a visiting alien.

I hope that clears any connection up.

Comment is about Martin Elder (poet profile)

Original item by Martin Elder

Greg Freeman

Thu 24th Sep 2015 12:57

Many thanks for these fascinating answers, Attila - and for being such a supporter of Write Out Loud. Hope we'll have a chance for a chat at Aldeburgh. I'll look out for you in the cafeteria! I must add that Aldeburgh have corrected me - there will be a third performance poet there at the festival in early November, Jack Rooke.

Laura Taylor

Thu 24th Sep 2015 12:51

Ah so you buy your wood? I refuse to, on the grounds that a) we're skint and b) we can go and get it ourselves for nowt! Also, we really like going and gathering firewood. It's part of that primal process. The fella usually uses a manual saw but I bought him a leccy one for his birthday, and you've never seen more delight shown at an electrical item as that day haha :D

Enjoy getting lost in your flames, Ray :)

ps - I noticed you'd edited. MUCH better now, and it was already great ;)

Comment is about ray pool (poet profile)

Original item by ray pool

attila the stockbroker

Thu 24th Sep 2015 12:51

Cheers Laura and Greg. Took ages to do and I stand by every word. If it's any help, the more 'driven' and determined answers were written to the musical accompaniment of 'Spectre' by Laibach, VERY LOUD. (Robina was out.) I wouldn't recommend that to all potential interviewees though.

Laura Taylor

Thu 24th Sep 2015 12:23

This is an absolutely amazing interview Greg!! I've got interview technique envy now :D Nice one! Great questions, belting answers. See thee in November Attila!

Alem Hailu G/Kristos

Thu 24th Sep 2015 09:01

I have revised the poem Thank you for the excellent feedback useful for refining it further.

Comment is about The Clamour Of The Silence (blog)

Original item by Alem Hailu G/Kristos

◄ Prev 1 2 3 146 147 148 149 150 169 338 507 676 845 1014 1183 1352 1521 1680 1681 1682 Next ►