Francine Louis

Sun 17th May 2009 18:25

Funny... you express the most mundane experiences so well ; )

Qu'est-ce que c'est 'OAP' ?

Comment is about a disturbing stage (blog)

Daniel Hooks

Sun 17th May 2009 17:52

I found the first part beautiful! the second part was definately like every train journey I have been on it captured the journey in a poetic and funny way!

Comment is about Sophie Hall (Poet profile)

Sophie

Sun 17th May 2009 17:50

- And your superhero poem. Very much. xx

Comment is about Daniel Hooks (Poet profile)

Original item by Daniel Hooks

Sophie

Sun 17th May 2009 17:49

Well spotted. Its hastily editted from another poem - it is trying to capture the intense frustration of a train journey along with the fact it can be quite lovely - if you let it. If it didnt come across I apologise but thanks for reading - I like your little alien friend. :) xx

Comment is about Daniel Hooks (Poet profile)

Original item by Daniel Hooks

Daniel Hooks

Sun 17th May 2009 17:49

powerful passion!

Comment is about The Parting (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Daniel Hooks

Sun 17th May 2009 17:49

a brilliant poem this is what disco nights should be LOL!!!!

Comment is about Disco Dancing (blog)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Daniel Hooks

Sun 17th May 2009 17:46

I like this poem but it seems two parts, do you feel this too sophie?

Comment is about On my train journey (blog)

Nabila Suriya

Sun 17th May 2009 17:28

thanks for all the support you have given me and fellow students re events coverage and promotion on this site. Much valued

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Nabila Suriya

Sun 17th May 2009 17:26

thanks for your encouragement and glad you will be listening!

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Sophie

Sun 17th May 2009 17:25

Hey Paul, was lovely to meet you!

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Nabila Suriya

Sun 17th May 2009 17:07

thank you so much for leaving a comment on my essay.It is highly valued. We will meet :-) I do read at events often, which are advertised on here x

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (Poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Nabila Suriya

Sun 17th May 2009 17:03

Thank you dear. Your comments are highly valued. It was enough for me that I was asked to submit this and if people do not comment, it doesn't bother me at all :-) I have posted a lot. Currently working on stories for my project but actively helping peopleon here....do email me .Look forward to meeting u at a reading . TC

Comment is about An iron hand in a velvet glove (article)

Pete Crompton

Sun 17th May 2009 17:00

Hello there. I did NXNW festival (wigan) and also the fundraiser for it this year. I'll be doing some Brighton gigs and some events in Liverpool. I enjoyed the CND festival in LPool last year. Its whatever you put in. Slams are a gamble too though. You can usually work it to get in the top 3 each time. Theres always a degree of luck, especially if people have brought thier own crowds. Hard to be objective sometimes Sophie. I do think you could do well, not that many female slammers around. I noticed you had a xertain style that would do well in slams.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Sophie

Sun 17th May 2009 16:48

Well arent you clever. :)

"Don't compete with Pete..." Has this phrase ever been used? Lol, probably not.

Have you ever been asked to do any poetry festivals out of interest? Im going to lattitude this year to see some of my favourites - I reckon youre definitely up there with the big guys : D x

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Pete Crompton

Sun 17th May 2009 16:46

Hi Carol, some lovely images and poems.
Cats rule too!
Pete.

Comment is about Carol Falaki (Poet profile)

Original item by Carol Falaki

Pete Crompton

Sun 17th May 2009 16:45

Hi Sophie, thanks for the velvet shirt comp. You could do well in slams I think. I had a couple of years of wins, prob entered about 30 slams now. They banned me in the end :-)

its whatever you put into it, life.
x

Comment is about Sophie Hall (Poet profile)

Sophie

Sun 17th May 2009 16:19

Aw pete - you, your poetry and your wonderful shirt mademy night : D

You were really ace you know :) Do you ever do slams you vivacious creature? : Dxx

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Sophie

Sun 17th May 2009 16:14

Hey george - melting ice cream has brilliant pace to it! Thanks for your lovely comment - some cracking lines in your ASBO poem : D

Do you read a lot? I hope to come down to london in the summer Id love to come see you if you read :) x

Comment is about George Stanworth (Poet profile)

Original item by George Stanworth

George Stanworth

Sun 17th May 2009 16:11

Hi Sophie.
Just come across your work and I love the quality and variety of it. Particular favourites are 'Unrequited Love Song' and 'How to Like Pretentious Music' - I love the humour in that one.

George

Comment is about Sophie Hall (Poet profile)

George Stanworth

Sun 17th May 2009 15:58

Hi Lenny,

Really enjoyed reading this piece. Succinct and poignant.

George

Comment is about Necessary Darkness (blog)

Original item by Lenny Gazbowski

Francine Louis

Sun 17th May 2009 14:58

Peter, tu me fais toujours rire!
Ces instructions sont à la fois marrantes et moqueuses : )

Comment is about (blog)

Noetic Fret

Sun 17th May 2009 13:49

Dear Marc, I laughed so much whilst listening to my techno as I read this, that I pissed the jock strap I was wearing to entice the wife. Nice one blue, you funny git. ROTFLMAO.

Michael

Much love to you bro.

Comment is about Number 21, upstairs flat (blog)

Pete Crompton

Sun 17th May 2009 13:12

Brilliant poems and performance at the Blue Boar. Nice to meet you at last. Pete.

Comment is about Sophie Hall (Poet profile)

carol falaki

Sun 17th May 2009 11:44

made me smile too

Comment is about G'night Luv. (blog)

DG

Sun 17th May 2009 11:25

I'm sure it will happen soon, and it won't be a forced change, more a thing that happens as a result of darket ideas coming to me (which they haven't been recently).
Much as I'd love to think I had the savoir faire to target a big demographic such as female readers, I can only write stuff when it's formed itself in my head.

Comment is about Hopefully, this is Terminal (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Isobel

Sun 17th May 2009 09:13

I like this one too. It makes you think. I can't help but always see the difference between the male and female in poetry. Everything you read reflects it. The man runs away, the woman 'is released' - now where have I heard that before? I'm sure it wasn't intended that way - just the mood I'm in at the moment. Glad you explained the ending - I would have seen it as death knocking on the door - but it works better as depression. I would agree with the rest - no one has it all and when we do we often want something different!

Comment is about not 100% happy (blog)

Pete Crompton

Sun 17th May 2009 08:18

Hi Francine, thanks for reading.

its a bit dark this poem!

I was reading about depression and how in some cases it had lead to suicidal thoughts.
At the time I had been studying the effects of PTSD (a medical condition)

Patients had been asked what they thought suicide meant to them and they had answered 'release' , 'escape'

I thought it was such a waste and that they had been consumed by negative emotion. I felt helpless and wanted to show them thast you never know what is round the next corner and that there is a way through it.

The black shawl was my idea of depression making her visit to me. I saw her as a 2 sided coin, her black shawl had the depth of beauty in its colour, a black of texture and bizarre warmth but at same time it was sinister.

the poem was just a daydream, a drift of thought whilst watching tv.

Peter

Comment is about not 100% happy (blog)

Francine Louis

Sun 17th May 2009 04:48

This one is perceptive... could you explain though these last few lines as I am having trouble with them... maybe too it's cause I am so sleep deprived that I can't think anymore...

'In death a man said escape
In death a woman said release
And I wondered what they meant
Until the day arrived at my door
Cloaked in a black shawl.'

merci... bonne nuit... je ne peux plus lire ce soir...

Comment is about not 100% happy (blog)

Francine Louis

Sat 16th May 2009 20:44

Do not look forward to going back DG...
You must look to the future...
and you must listen to reason...
your female readers know... and we like this style : )

Comment is about Hopefully, this is Terminal (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Isobel

Sat 16th May 2009 20:40

Only been going since Feb - returned from overseas in 2006 and had always planned to go but it took me some time to sort my life out.
Whereabouts in France are you from? I was a student in the Dordogne many moons ago.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Isobel

Sat 16th May 2009 20:32

Thanks for your explanation Graham. Sometimes it's good to point people in the right direction even though it may go against the grain - they get so much more out of it. Your poetry is surprisinly uncommented on considering its quality. Has the Angler and the Astronomer been published somewhere? It sounds so familiar.

Comment is about Graham Sherwood (Poet profile)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Sat 16th May 2009 20:20

Yes - I know the feeling of listening to children sleep but not being able to catch it myself - also of extreme bone aching weariness. Great ideas and language in here Sophie. Have finished my 'wish I was gay' rant - am just waiting for some familial feedback before I post it. To hell with it all - let's be controversial!
Isobel x

Comment is about The Children are Sleeping (blog)

Isobel

Sat 16th May 2009 19:43

Yes - I like this one too. Not as obvious as I first thought. Is this someone who has already passed through that you would like to welcome back or is it someone new? If the latter, you just need to grab her bags and weigh them in Dermot - faint heart never won fair lady! So good to see a man in touch with his emotions. Don't be in too much of a hurry to return to your darker ones. Enjoyed your compering at the Tudor - such a gift - I could never do that.
Isobel x

Comment is about Hopefully, this is Terminal (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

DG

Sat 16th May 2009 19:31

Merci Francine, tu es trop gentil.

Er, yeah... seriously looking forward to the end of this bout of messed-up love poems and to getting back into writing dark sociopathic narcissistic disordered poems, but these things take time.

Comment is about Hopefully, this is Terminal (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Francine Louis

Sat 16th May 2009 18:01

J'aime beaucoup ce poème DG...
To me it speaks of torment yet yearning for the love of a special someone...

Love the analogies used... very creative... magnifique!

Comment is about Hopefully, this is Terminal (blog)

Original item by Dermot Glennon

Sophie

Sat 16th May 2009 14:26

Haha, jesus Jeff - you've taken over my WOL page - thanks soo much for all the comments - Im a lucky lady indeed.

Ah yes quick thing - the rhyming change in pretentious music fan is intentional just to suit the more erratic style of the other side of the speaker..maybe it doesnt work haha. What d'reckon? xx

Comment is about Jeffarama! (Poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

jane wilcock

Sat 16th May 2009 13:41

Great, I love these poems!

Comment is about Mandy Coe (Poet profile)

Original item by Mandy Coe

Jeff Dawson

Sat 16th May 2009 12:21

Hiya Soph, read everything now! This is very interesting and a good concept, so many different feelings and emotions in 24 hours and you're right there is!

I've got a few observations but I will talk to you later, hope you think theyre good ideas for you, Jeff xx

Comment is about 24 (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Sat 16th May 2009 12:15

Great hard hitting stuff Soph and real life, it doesn't do any harm to have a few days off and clear your head! Jeff X

Comment is about New poem: Vodka Strike (Quite like this one. For now) (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Sat 16th May 2009 12:12

You’ve gotten me quite hot now, you vivacious teacher
I think I’ve forgot now, you flirtatious creature
Just what I was trying to tell you, you stud!
I just got too excited, I knew that I would…

Great stuff - is this poem for me? Ha, fantastic Soph a poem full of energy and risky passion.... before a nice twist lol Jeff X

Comment is about An ode to something quite special (blog)

Martin Phillips

Sat 16th May 2009 12:01

Thanks for the suggestion about breaking up the lines Cynthia, but the length of the line is kind of the point of the poem. It is written in Twitter Length or Standard Text Length i.e. 140 characters (including spaces) per line.
(apart from the final line of course!)

I wanted to explore expressing myself in only 140 characters as people seem to be able to do via facebook/twitter. Also the superficiality of so called facebook freinds or Twitter Followers.

Comment is about 140 (blog)

Original item by Martin Phillips

Jeff Dawson

Sat 16th May 2009 12:01

Hi Soph, sounds like they've all got swine flu!

Love this work, and your imagination and your use of English, thia made me smile -

The same expression will grace their faces
When they find a 2 for 1 offer at Sainsbury’s the following day.

Fantastic, best wishes from your 40-odd year old depressed man (know how Izzy feels!), lol Jeff X

Comment is about The Children are Sleeping (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Sat 16th May 2009 11:53

Hiya Sophie, great punchy lines and rhythms in this, like they way you have used language, you should do this tonight! Jeff X

Comment is about Freelance Writer (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Sat 16th May 2009 11:50

Hiya Sophie, love this idea, i love music and it reminded me of my 'In the City' with the band names etc.

I think it would be good performance stuff but would need to be shorter, so chop a few stanzas. The Rhyming pattern changes which is a bit confusing but if you wanted I'm sure that could be sorted out! What you think?

Great stuff!! see ya later! Jeff X

Comment is about How to Like Pretentious Music (blog)

sebastianhaff@hotmail.co.uk

Fri 15th May 2009 23:47

I'm not sure that "strength" is the right word, as strength is something that can hold a peace in place. Like a strong descision or will against oppression. I'm just not sure it conveys the sentiment that you wish it to, though I like the idea.

Maybe "force" is more accurate, though it may not fit your poem. Anyway, I'll leave you alone now.

Comment is about Strength and Peace (blog)

Original item by Joshua Van-Cook

Isobel

Fri 15th May 2009 19:35

A lovely poem - if only real life were as comfy. Or maybe you are just a very lucky man.

Comment is about Perfect time (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Fri 15th May 2009 19:33

Love the humour - there isn't enough on here - might try to put that to rights one day - though not sure anyone will laugh as much at mine - I'm rather base!

Comment is about Arab in my carpet (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Fri 15th May 2009 19:30

Was this your son I wonder? Think this one will resonate with me in years to come - am sure one or all of mine will end up over there.

Comment is about Losing you (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Fri 15th May 2009 19:10

A charming piece - the meeting of physical and metaphysical and the marriage of the two? All endeavor will ultimately have the same demise?
Love the way the fish mirror the men at the end.
Your turn to explain...

Comment is about The Angler and the Astronomer (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Fri 15th May 2009 18:57

Super satire! I think you should send a copy to the The Times and The Guardian - this needs to be printed somewhere.

Comment is about Swine Flu Alert (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 145 290 435 580 725 870 1015 1160 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1305 1439 1440 1441 Next -->