Jeff Dawson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 13:02

Hi Donna, welcome to WOL, great little poem with lots of thoughts, best wishes Jeff x

Comment is about Still Around (blog)

Original item by Dogstails

Jeff Dawson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 13:00

Blimey Deb, you're on a roll, beautiful words here with great imagery, great reading Jeff X

Comment is about Aurora (blog)

Isobel

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:48

Hi Jeff - thanks for your comment - yes it went a lot better last night. Re Southport - have had a rethink - have cleared my head and probably will make it. My friend would really like to hear me read so don't give my spot away. How many am I allowed to do? Would kind of like to do 3 but will restrict it to one if you are short of time...
Isobel x

Comment is about Jeffarama! (Poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

shoeless

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:43

like the new poem , my attention span is short so less is always more for me :)

good to see you get your poem out last night enjoyed it .

Comment is about Words (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Cate Greenlees

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:40

A wonderful poem here Anthony. I, like Dave, have also taught special needs and downs children, and can attest to what loving and sweet natured souls they have.
I found this very moving.
Cate xx

Comment is about "John" (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Jeff Dawson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:36

Still a bit long for my liking Dave, could do better! Ha, cheers good to see you last night, Jeff

Comment is about Attention spans (blog)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Jeff Dawson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:35

Hiya, like this, it says a lot, you know whats needed but you can't do it. Having struggled to get somethings out of my mind, I kinda know what you mean and hope writing this helps, best wishes Jeff

Comment is about Denial 20 (blog)

Original item by Nefertiti

Jeff Dawson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:31

Hi Emma, like this anecdotal, diary like poem, nice one. One thing that puzzled me is did you mean to use wander/wandered etc rather than wonder etc, bit ambiguous under context its written but obviously changes the meaning and probably subtley clever if you did!

By the way I work for MCC (benefits and council tax in moss side), maybe see ya soon, work or poetry, best wishes Jeff X

Comment is about 18 months experience (blog)

Original item by Emma Roy- Williams

Cate Greenlees

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:30

Very powerful imagery here Anthony..... and very disquieting.
Cate xx

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Cate Greenlees

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:11

I know one exactly like him!!!!!!
Cate xx

Comment is about Know it All (blog)

Jeff Dawson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 12:07

Hiya Beth, nice one, and there's me thinkin it was some fetish you had for doing things in kitchens, cookin obviously, hope to see you soon.

Don't know if you've got to any poetry gigs but just to let you know that we've had to cancel the Tallulahs one - problem with venue, completely out of Half Evil or WOL control, hope to see ya soon Jeff xx

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Isobel

Fri 14th Aug 2009 11:51

One pat on the back deserves another - glad you liked my pome - I liked your frigid poem - it made me laugh - found the one about abused puppy dogs at Christmas a bit sad though.
Yes - the Tudor is one whole bunch of laughs.

Comment is about Baz (Poet profile)

Original item by Baz

Isobel

Fri 14th Aug 2009 11:48

Maybe you have to be deep to truly see the light - ha - got you there then.

Comment is about Fish (blog)

Cate Greenlees

Fri 14th Aug 2009 11:42

Humm..... a fishy tale!!
Cate xx

Comment is about Fish (blog)

Cate Greenlees

Fri 14th Aug 2009 11:41

This is a sad one Joan. Unfortunately we dont always function on " fact logic reason" and imagination leads us down paths that are not always there.
Cate xx

Comment is about Imagination (blog)

Cate Greenlees

Fri 14th Aug 2009 11:34

I would agree with this Isobel. Words can be , and often are, misinterpreted. Actions count, and cannot undone.
Cate xx

Comment is about Words (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Isobel

Fri 14th Aug 2009 11:08

Hi Steven - I'll second that welcome. You performed your stuff well at the Tudor last night - I think we can all identify with hating our jobs LOL.

Comment is about Steven Kenny (Poet profile)

Original item by Steven Kenny

Anthony Emmerson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 11:04

Hi Steven,
And welcome to WOL. It's a friendly place here and I'm sure you will enjoy it. Probably the best way to break the ice is to leave a comment or two on the blog section for poems you have enjoyed reading - or get involved in the discussion forums.

I like the repetition of the familiar phrase in your "The Death Of Me" - interesting to see it used more literally here, and I identify completely with "I Hate My Job!"

Have fun,

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Steven Kenny (Poet profile)

Original item by Steven Kenny

andy n

Fri 14th Aug 2009 08:25

nice stuff, gem... I had a comment posted on another site about my latest poem 'july night skies' which could apply here also in the term the reference Crystal kids could be over-used here.. On my poem July night skies, I got suggested the reference to purple dense skies was nice but over-used...

Not sure if I agree with it myself, but it could be worth thinking about here but I do like this, I must admit..

Comment is about Crystal Kids (blog)

Original item by Gemma Lees

andy n

Fri 14th Aug 2009 08:21

possibly a bit tellie rather than showie for me here, but I love the last two lines in particular... nice! x

Comment is about Imagination (blog)

andy n

Fri 14th Aug 2009 08:20

nice change in style there, chuck.. I like it and think it packs a bit off a punch! x

Comment is about Words (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Steve Mellor

Fri 14th Aug 2009 08:15

Morning John
Just to let you know that I went to Huddersfield, as suggested. All being well, the bruises should be gone in a day or two.
I quite enjoyed it, but I don't know whether I am now more aware of my own inadequacies as a writer.
Thanks for the push though
Steve

Comment is about John Darwin (Poet profile)

Original item by John Darwin

maipenrai

Fri 14th Aug 2009 01:47

It's got to be a Song!

Excellent write

Bernie

Comment is about Crystal Kids (blog)

Original item by Gemma Lees

maipenrai

Fri 14th Aug 2009 00:59

Thanks Cynthia, I was a medic for many------- years in the Brit Army
Bernie

Comment is about The Hills Are Alive. (blog)

Anthony Emmerson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 00:47

Hi Everyone,

And thanks for all the positive comments. I'm having a "difficult" period writing-wise at the moment. When this happens I have often found it useful to return to the basics for inspiration, and especially discipline. For those who might not have come across it before this poem is written as a "villanelle." See:

I don't usually like writing to strict rules, but I guess it's akin to forcing myself to do a crossword - better to write something than nothing. Since the form is already decided the only thing to worry about is the content. Perhaps the most famous villanelle in the English language is "Do not go gentle into that goodnight," written by the great Dylan Thomas.

Forcing myself to write to a strict form works for me, when I'm feeling uninspired. It's a challenge and tends to focus my thoughts and get me back into writing mode. It might be interesting to start a discussion thread which focuses on a particular form every so often, simply as an exercise for those similarly afflicted with so-called "writer's block." Anyone up for it?

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Isobel

Thu 13th Aug 2009 23:49

Can't quite find the words to comment on this one Anthony - unusual for me - very raw, very powerful - I like it.

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Gus Jonsson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 22:31

all the verses hurt.. especially this one

... ouch ouch ....agghhh

Gus

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Joe Hakim

Thu 13th Aug 2009 21:24

Thanks Sophie. Last year I applied for the new voices section at the Poetry Arena by sending Luke Wright an MP3 of one of my poems, and then I was invited back this year by Luke to do a couple of full sets.

Comment is about Sophie Hall (Poet profile)

Original item by Sophie Hall

Joe Hakim

Thu 13th Aug 2009 21:15

Comment is about Joe Hakim (Poet profile)

Original item by Joe Hakim

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 20:43

Hi Donna, i really like High Tides and i am glad to hear that your life is better now after your nde.I agree about what you say about the ones left behind..i have more to say but can't here..thanks for commenting, deb x

Comment is about Dogstails (Poet profile)

Original item by Dogstails

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 19:15

I really like this Anthony i can imagine it all..her head on one side, empty eyes watching the moonlight reflect on the metal..so evocative,
deb

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:48

Your images, metaphors, choice of words are so vivid, so insightful! So connotative (smile).

Comment is about at the lengths of the sea (blog)

shoeless

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:41

x hope to see you tonight ,

Comment is about Dave Morgan (Poet profile)

Original item by Dave Morgan

shoeless

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:40

thanks for comments on my poem .

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:35

My word, Anthony. My word! What a piece! The stuff of masters.

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:19

This is fabulous. Very topical, and hard-hitting.Thanks for the codes for better understanding. I relate, because I have a poem using only ham radio conversations from boats off the shores of Maine.

Comment is about The Hills Are Alive. (blog)

Thu 13th Aug 2009 17:58

Peter, are you the same one I saw on telly this morning, about a roller coaster? Out of London I thought.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:59

Doh! am being dippier than usual, i just re read your tour dates and realised the obvious..that you're still in't middle of it. So i might hopefully be able to get to the Heb one at least : ) sorry..hope your tour goes well..shift tenses..debx

Comment is about Jeffarama! (Poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:57

Hi Jeff,
hope your tour went well : ) sorry i couldn't make it to any venues, I'd have liked to but am back up North now, further up..and public transport sytems few and far between.
Thank you for your kind comments on Blackwater. Deb x

Comment is about Jeffarama! (Poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:52

Gus you are incorrigable, or should that be inflammable? no i was not aware that you are now the possessor of a beard but i am now. I am much relieved that you would not push me into a fire. Obviously you don't know me well enough..give it time and you might..how did you know i drink wine and watch bats? i must have written it somewhere..tis true..i do..i'll be careful to watch out for strange poets blowing agin me on windy nights from now on.
very interesting about your poems about the winds and Captain Jack. i consider myself well informed now. when can i read t'uthers?
oh and thank you for your comments on Unfinished.Once more, muy apreciado,oops, spaniards cropping up again..Debz xx

Comment is about Gus Jonsson (Poet profile)

Original item by Gus Jonsson

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:50

well written, flows well, enjoyed.
Bernie

Comment is about Michael Wyndham (Poet profile)

Original item by Michael Wyndham

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:49

loved the road kill one mate, think he goe's in my local, then again maybe not, long way from the Pool to Old Trafford in one of those.
Enjoyed the read.
Bernie

Comment is about Max Seymour (Poet profile)

Original item by Max Seymour

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:46

Hi Justine, a newbie here, just having a wander and found these two, liked them, just thought I would let you know.
Bernie

Comment is about Justine Tennant (Poet profile)

Original item by Justine Tennant

Gus Jonsson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:58

Who's opened his Christmas crackers early....mmmmm

Thanks for reading AE
Gus

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Janet

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:41

You already have my thoughts on this poem but it looks just as good here as in your samples.

Janet.x

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:26

Hi Janet and thank you for your comments, what this is about is when on holiday/working abroad you sometimes get into relationships that feel so real and good at the time, you are in love?.
Of course you both know you have to go your seperate ways and of course you promise to write, to meet again, for one or the other to go back to the others country, but you never do, hence waiting for that letter, letterbox dreams.
Bernie

Comment is about Letterbox Dreams (blog)

Steve Mellor

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:22

Hi John, you smoothy
I'll spend the rest of the pm girding my loins.
'Work is shit' - So, you enjoy it as much as I did. I seceded from the union.
Steve

Comment is about John Darwin (Poet profile)

Original item by John Darwin

Justine Tennant

Thu 13th Aug 2009 13:51

life is a roller coaster! ;0) Just seen you on TV :0)

Comment is about this is war (blog)

shoeless

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:56

First night last night , YES GO , don't miss it :)

Comment is about Liverpool's Shakespeare Festival (article)

Janet

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:48

Hi Anthony, it's about time you up-dated your profile. It was getting to be hard work finding you down there in the dungeons. :-)

Love the ''Edge'' poem in your samples.

Janet.x

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 150 300 450 600 750 900 1050 1200 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1350 1489 1490 1491 Next -->