nicky burrows

Tue 25th Aug 2009 10:23

Does it matter if I'm male or female? haha, many female writers have wrote under male pseudonyms throughout the years. Interesting one - and I wasn't offended by the way. Just makes me wonder if what I write is A-sexual at the moment, or whether it's the fact that my mother called me Nichola because she thought that the female version of Nicola was Nicholas without the S. Then again I was going to be called joanne so I'd have been called Jo anyway. Think she may have wanted a boy!

Comment is about Glass Eyes (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Dominic Berry

Tue 25th Aug 2009 10:21

excellent work at Inside Out man. I was thoroughly entertained throughout. I can't believe you say you don't read often yet you had such a relaxed and easy vibe on stage- very charismatic and hugely enjoyable. Please let me know when your reading round Manchester way next, your stuff is brilliant and it was a joy to watch you perform. well done fella

Comment is about Paul Broadhurst (Poet profile)

Original item by Paul Broadhurst

Dominic Berry

Tue 25th Aug 2009 10:19

wonderful poems here and a truly wonderful set at Inside Out- literally full of wonder. Your work is dead impressive as is your delivery- you need to get out there and share your work more! I thoroughly enjoyed sharing ths stage with you and your poems were ace- great length, greath humour, very deep and personal. Excellent stuff. Come to Freed Up!

:D

xx

Comment is about Lydia (Poet profile)

Original item by Lydia

Dominic Berry

Tue 25th Aug 2009 10:17

cathy!

you were AMAZING at Inside Out yesterday. I thought the whole evening was a wonderful mix of excellent performers and it was a joy to perform there. I love how your poems so easily mix very funny lines with sincere and deeply moving raw emotion. Your work is so, so enjoyable, celebratory and clever- absolutely excellent. please keep me up to date with where else your performing as i'm looking forward to seeing you on stage again

d

x

Comment is about Cathy Crabb (Poet profile)

Original item by Cathy Crabb

nicky burrows

Tue 25th Aug 2009 10:12

I have read your other poem Sarah that you racently posted and I agree with Isobel. If it is about you, MOVE, and quick. I went through something similar when I was nineteen.

Comment is about Here we go again! (blog)

Original item by Sarah Clark

David Franks

Tue 25th Aug 2009 09:53

Do you ever write trad metre-and-rhyme poems, Catherine?

Comment is about Catherine Smith (Poet profile)

Original item by Catherine Smith

Isobel

Tue 25th Aug 2009 09:35

I like it well enough without changes Helen. You convey well the simmering frustrations that lie beneath our daily routine.

Comment is about In, out. (blog)

Original item by Helen Wakefield

Isobel

Tue 25th Aug 2009 09:29

Don't know if this poem is looking through the eyes of an abused woman or your own life. If the latter I would advise you to get the hell out. No woman should have to endure physical abuse within a relationship. You/she is young and that is a huge advantage. There will be somebody else out there who doesn't lash out.

Comment is about Here we go again! (blog)

Original item by Sarah Clark

nicky burrows

Tue 25th Aug 2009 08:15

This poem actually took my breath away. It's quite brutal and to the point and captures a moment in time full of anger and sadness and pain.

Relationships are not the blast that everyone thinks they are when they are young, ha, can be like a greek plate smashing competition here at my house sometimes. ( and I throw the most crockery!!) but we always cuddle up the next day and say sorry and then nip out and buy some more plates, because now we understand that it's only stuff that gets in the way that causes communication to break down.

You've made me look at some of my old poetry from when I was nineteen. Thank you.x

Comment is about Here we go again! (blog)

Original item by Sarah Clark

Dave Bradley

Tue 25th Aug 2009 08:14

I like it too Nicky and have been interested by what you've said in the Discussion thread, which must be linked.

Does it work to sit down and say "OK I'm going to create a poem"? Or do we need something inside us which demands to be written down, at least as a starting point?

Comment is about Write Out Loud! (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Paul

Tue 25th Aug 2009 01:11

Not you
Stop writing now
You are not my kinda poet
You are conceited
You are derivative
You have no style
Yet you keep on writing
Do you need me to explain it to you
I am not your demographic
but then again who is?
Some day I'll find a poet
I understand
Until then
I'll make do with you!

Comment is about Who I write poetry for (blog)

Original item by Alvin Guinessberg

maipenrai

Tue 25th Aug 2009 00:51

Strong Good, Hard Hitting, Honest.
Bernie
PS .Stay Strong Love

Comment is about This ball and chain. (blog)

Original item by Sarah Clark

maipenrai

Tue 25th Aug 2009 00:36

First of all congrats on your courage to write this and let the likes of me read it ,your strengh shows through.

I am a hell of a lot older then you but in the early 90s went for about four years when my life was booze, I was lucky I came through that with the help of family and getting a job that gave me my self respect back.

OK enough of me, I wish you the best and again praise your strengh and courage for putting this up in the public domain.

I wish you well.
Bernie

Comment is about Binge drinking (blog)

Original item by Sarah Clark

maipenrai

Tue 25th Aug 2009 00:25

Mrs Wakefield you do for me!!
excellent
Bernie

Comment is about In, out. (blog)

Original item by Helen Wakefield

Cat Parsons

Mon 24th Aug 2009 21:54

Hello john
thanks for your lovely comment on my poem 'permiss my cry'
it's one of those that probably says too much about me!

Comment is about John Darwin (Poet profile)

Original item by John Darwin

Rodney Wood

Mon 24th Aug 2009 20:51

Thanks for the comments Alvin. Even Heaney throws out poems but I doubt if many here do. Like yrs by the way. It's sharp, East European in tone.

Comment is about Alvin Guinessberg (Poet profile)

Original item by Alvin Guinessberg

Mon 24th Aug 2009 19:14

Because I very carelessly read "Nick" which could still have been female. I'm thinking about this.

Comment is about Glass Eyes (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

maipenrai

Mon 24th Aug 2009 19:10

Cheers Steve.
Bernie

Comment is about Silver Foil (blog)

Mon 24th Aug 2009 19:03

Cate, I removed my very personal comment from "Sunflowers' only because I thought it interfered with your poem. I should have posted it here, under your PP.

Comment is about Cate (Poet profile)

Original item by Cate

Mon 24th Aug 2009 18:45

This is very clever, Isobel. And sensitive. And insightful. I wonder how many readers know who Roger Rabbit is/was.

Comment is about LOVE (blog)

Original item by Isobel

nicky burrows

Mon 24th Aug 2009 18:41

or if you did explain them, it may be an anticlimax. Thousand plus years of poetry and writing that we all put our own interpretations on, would be gone. I suppose you could say that we all see things in different ways, and if we didn't? Don't you think that the world would be a boring place and, more to the point, sterile?

I think that the reader is actually at an advantage when reading a poem - not disagreeing with you because it's all down to how they read it, and they may read a poem at different points in their life and it's holds different meaning for them.

I think too much in my time out! lol - ha can use it now I know what it actually means!x

Comment is about Glass Eyes (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Mon 24th Aug 2009 18:40

And you're right. After you 'ideas dump', then comes the discipline of sharpening them to fine ideas worth sharing and remembering. But no one can teach the initial insights that have to 'hit the paper' or 'the screen' in their rough form.
This poem is clever, and punchy.

Comment is about Write Out Loud! (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Steve Smith

Mon 24th Aug 2009 18:25

some beautiful images and such a delicate touch Steve Smith

Comment is about Rod Break (blog)

Original item by Graham Sherwood

Isobel

Mon 24th Aug 2009 17:08

The reader is always at a disadvantage when interpreting a poem - just how do you find yourself round someone else's thought processes without the background history. I think I'm starting to understand Nicky and I guess there are some poems that you just don't want to fully explain. Isobel x

Comment is about Glass Eyes (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

shoeless

Mon 24th Aug 2009 16:51

thanks for your your comments , i am sorry you see an underlying sadness francine , there is none intended at all , but maybe that is the mood you are in .

Comment is about Rowan tree (blog)

Isobel

Mon 24th Aug 2009 16:51

A sad one Nicky. I never know what to say about sad ones - just know that I don't like to ignore them. x

Comment is about Lilley (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Steve Smith

Mon 24th Aug 2009 16:04

Dear Michele,
I posed the question on Camus as a humorous allusion to existentialism....in which the importance of rhyme would maybe have been darkly appraised...I did not mean to offend..I speak fluent French and am a lover of French Literature and film ..I beg your pardon if my attempt at humour was maladroit. I appreciate your work and am amazed at your ear for tune in the English language.Pardonnez moi.
Steve Smith

Comment is about Michèle Vassal (Poet profile)

Original item by Michèle Vassal

nicky burrows

Mon 24th Aug 2009 15:19

Tomas, first of all I apologise, for the wrong spelling of your name. I Had No Time For Old Clocks To See is extremely interesting for me, it catches a moment in time and then revisits that memory if I have read into it correctly, or maybe it's just, that is the the thing for me. Time that ticks on by, and yet many times we are stuck in that one moment of time. I am going to have to listen to your piece a few more times.

Comment is about Some Poems from Prague (blog)

Original item by Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Mon 24th Aug 2009 14:50

Stuff can cause a lot of bother... true...

Comment is about Nicky Burrows (Poet profile)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Mon 24th Aug 2009 14:49

The Ted Hughes oem is a little irreverant... I wonder someday will someone do a Tomás Ó Cárthiagh poem? lol

Comment is about Tommy Carroll (Poet profile)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Mon 24th Aug 2009 14:48

"Four Magnolia Walls" tells us that people should be just people, not trying to be sophisticated or whatever...

Comment is about Rachel Pantechnicon (Poet profile)

Original item by Rachel Pantechnicon

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Mon 24th Aug 2009 14:46

I liked "Journal Heart Attacks"

Comment is about Marianne Daniels (Poet profile)

Original item by Marianne Daniels

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Mon 24th Aug 2009 14:45

"Breif Encounters" is very enjoyable read, Andy. How have you been keeping?

Comment is about Andy N (Poet profile)

Original item by Andy N

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Mon 24th Aug 2009 14:44

"Old Woman in a Corner" gives an abrupt ending that can give so many meanings... it could be a oem on the Holocaust... the boots being the Nazis arriving, or it could be about current times where junkies arrive to rob the house... such a dark overcurrent to this... I like it...

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (Poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Tomás Ó Cárthaigh

Mon 24th Aug 2009 14:36

I too was a Wednesday child...

Comment is about Augusta Darling (Poet profile)

Original item by Augusta Darling

nicky burrows

Mon 24th Aug 2009 13:35

Love it! Except the lilly part. I love lillies. For me, personally they have a smell that makes me want to remember, and are pure and innocent. It is such a shame that something so beautiful can be related to death and sadness.

My family know already that when I pass, its yellow and white. Including the dress, which my husband is horrified about, if I go before him, because he nearly always wears black, for me it's sunshine and light, that's the way I want to be remembered.

Comment is about Sunflowers (blog)

Original item by Cate

nicky burrows

Mon 24th Aug 2009 13:21

by purity in the last comment, I mean innocence, untainted.

Comment is about Glass Eyes (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

nicky burrows

Mon 24th Aug 2009 13:19

Think I've always been possessed by something Isobel! Just haven't figured out what yet! haha!

The supernatural fascinates me, because it can never truly be explained. I struggle with the opposition of science and nature against faith and supernatural elements and always try to find balance.

There is a stuffed toy in this poem, but not a cuddly stuffed toy, it's a huge tiger. It is also linked ( for me ) to children. - in particularly one child. As Cynthia stated, children have an affinity with stuffed toys and this particular child although he wasn't long on this earth had an affinity with big cats, which are linked with the supernatural and animals also with the native american Indian spirit world.

The melancholy terror, is a mixture of loss and the unknown, of what really happens to one after their life expires. We either lose faith or question endlessly, or believe that they are still here.

It does sneak up on you janet, but I believe that it is not mean't to be 'sneakily', or scary. The simplicity that you described is a purity.

Love all your comments. Cynthia, why did you assume I was male?

Comment is about Glass Eyes (blog)

Original item by Nicky Burrows

Michèle Vassal

Mon 24th Aug 2009 12:32

Would Joyce or Beckett?

Comment is about stephen smith (Poet profile)

Original item by stephen smith

Isobel

Mon 24th Aug 2009 11:52

Love it, love it, love it. Not enough laughter on this site so this one does it for me. Reminds me of many a butt I saw whilst once on holiday in Disneyworld - need I say more...

Comment is about But Butt Buttt (blog)

Steve Mellor

Mon 24th Aug 2009 11:21

I know I'm putting my neck on the block, but I was 'inspired' by Cate's 'A Cheeky Little Number'.
I suppose this could be the sequel, but I wrote it in January, after a bus ride form Huddersfield.
I was encouraged to post this by a female contributor, no names no pack drill.

Comment is about But Butt Buttt (blog)

John Darwin

Mon 24th Aug 2009 10:57

Cat, like this for its simplicity and gentleness;

Nurture me
With your wise words
And gentle touch
Hold on tight
When life becomes
Too much

Lovely :-)

John

Comment is about Permiss my cry (blog)

Original item by Cat P

Steve Smith

Mon 24th Aug 2009 09:26

Dear Michele,
Thank you for your comments on my work...I read 'Love in Corca Dhuibhne' and was moved by it -well-crafted too. As a french poetess , could you answer the question "if Camus had written poetry, would it have rhymed?"
Steve Smith

Comment is about Michèle Vassal (Poet profile)

Original item by Michèle Vassal

Francine Louis

Mon 24th Aug 2009 01:58

Last couple of days I have been thinking along the same lines...
Lovely imagery in this...
There is an underlying sadness as it can be related to love and loss...

Comment is about Rowan tree (blog)

Christine Dawson

Mon 24th Aug 2009 00:58

Both feeling a little reflective at the moment, I see.
Nice work,
Cx

Comment is about Rowan tree (blog)

Francine Louis

Mon 24th Aug 2009 00:57

Not you - Why not me?
Stop reading now - No!
You are not my target audience - Whatever!
You are not beautiful - Yes I am!
You are not intelligent - Yes I am!
You have no style - Yes I do!
Yet you carry on reading - I do whatever I please!
Do you need me to explain this poem to you - Uh... NO!
You are not my target audience - Whatever!

Could not resist : )

Comment is about Who I write poetry for (blog)

Original item by Alvin Guinessberg

Christine Dawson

Mon 24th Aug 2009 00:56

Hi Cynthia, Thank-you for reading and commenting on Shhh ..... as always, your comments are much appreciated.
Cx

Comment is about Cynthia Buell Thomas (Poet profile)

Original item by Cynthia Buell Thomas

Francine Louis

Mon 24th Aug 2009 00:46

Very clever with the title Cate ; )
Interesting observing others...

Comment is about A Cheeky Little Number (blog)

Original item by Cate

maipenrai

Sun 23rd Aug 2009 23:12

Thanks Beulah.
Bernie

Comment is about Pandemic (blog)

maipenrai

Sun 23rd Aug 2009 23:11

Thanks Beulah

Comment is about The Endless Day (blog)

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 149 298 447 596 745 894 1043 1192 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1341 1486 1487 1488 Next -->