maipenrai

Fri 14th Aug 2009 01:47

It's got to be a Song!

Excellent write

Bernie

Comment is about Crystal Kids (blog)

Original item by Gemma Lees

maipenrai

Fri 14th Aug 2009 00:59

Thanks Cynthia, I was a medic for many------- years in the Brit Army
Bernie

Comment is about The Hills Are Alive. (blog)

Anthony Emmerson

Fri 14th Aug 2009 00:47

Hi Everyone,

And thanks for all the positive comments. I'm having a "difficult" period writing-wise at the moment. When this happens I have often found it useful to return to the basics for inspiration, and especially discipline. For those who might not have come across it before this poem is written as a "villanelle." See:

I don't usually like writing to strict rules, but I guess it's akin to forcing myself to do a crossword - better to write something than nothing. Since the form is already decided the only thing to worry about is the content. Perhaps the most famous villanelle in the English language is "Do not go gentle into that goodnight," written by the great Dylan Thomas.

Forcing myself to write to a strict form works for me, when I'm feeling uninspired. It's a challenge and tends to focus my thoughts and get me back into writing mode. It might be interesting to start a discussion thread which focuses on a particular form every so often, simply as an exercise for those similarly afflicted with so-called "writer's block." Anyone up for it?

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards,
A.E.

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Isobel

Thu 13th Aug 2009 23:49

Can't quite find the words to comment on this one Anthony - unusual for me - very raw, very powerful - I like it.

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Gus Jonsson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 22:31

all the verses hurt.. especially this one

... ouch ouch ....agghhh

Gus

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Joe Hakim

Thu 13th Aug 2009 21:24

Thanks Sophie. Last year I applied for the new voices section at the Poetry Arena by sending Luke Wright an MP3 of one of my poems, and then I was invited back this year by Luke to do a couple of full sets.

Comment is about Sophie Hall (Poet profile)

Original item by Sophie Hall

Joe Hakim

Thu 13th Aug 2009 21:15

Comment is about Joe Hakim (Poet profile)

Original item by Joe Hakim

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 20:43

Hi Donna, i really like High Tides and i am glad to hear that your life is better now after your nde.I agree about what you say about the ones left behind..i have more to say but can't here..thanks for commenting, deb x

Comment is about Dogstails (Poet profile)

Original item by Dogstails

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 19:15

I really like this Anthony i can imagine it all..her head on one side, empty eyes watching the moonlight reflect on the metal..so evocative,
deb

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:48

Your images, metaphors, choice of words are so vivid, so insightful! So connotative (smile).

Comment is about at the lengths of the sea (blog)

shoeless

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:41

x hope to see you tonight ,

Comment is about Dave Morgan (Poet profile)

Original item by Dave Morgan

shoeless

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:40

thanks for comments on my poem .

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:35

My word, Anthony. My word! What a piece! The stuff of masters.

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 18:19

This is fabulous. Very topical, and hard-hitting.Thanks for the codes for better understanding. I relate, because I have a poem using only ham radio conversations from boats off the shores of Maine.

Comment is about The Hills Are Alive. (blog)

Thu 13th Aug 2009 17:58

Peter, are you the same one I saw on telly this morning, about a roller coaster? Out of London I thought.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:59

Doh! am being dippier than usual, i just re read your tour dates and realised the obvious..that you're still in't middle of it. So i might hopefully be able to get to the Heb one at least : ) sorry..hope your tour goes well..shift tenses..debx

Comment is about Jeffarama! (Poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:57

Hi Jeff,
hope your tour went well : ) sorry i couldn't make it to any venues, I'd have liked to but am back up North now, further up..and public transport sytems few and far between.
Thank you for your kind comments on Blackwater. Deb x

Comment is about Jeffarama! (Poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:52

Gus you are incorrigable, or should that be inflammable? no i was not aware that you are now the possessor of a beard but i am now. I am much relieved that you would not push me into a fire. Obviously you don't know me well enough..give it time and you might..how did you know i drink wine and watch bats? i must have written it somewhere..tis true..i do..i'll be careful to watch out for strange poets blowing agin me on windy nights from now on.
very interesting about your poems about the winds and Captain Jack. i consider myself well informed now. when can i read t'uthers?
oh and thank you for your comments on Unfinished.Once more, muy apreciado,oops, spaniards cropping up again..Debz xx

Comment is about Gus Jonsson (Poet profile)

Original item by Gus Jonsson

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:50

well written, flows well, enjoyed.
Bernie

Comment is about Michael Wyndham (Poet profile)

Original item by Michael Wyndham

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:49

loved the road kill one mate, think he goe's in my local, then again maybe not, long way from the Pool to Old Trafford in one of those.
Enjoyed the read.
Bernie

Comment is about Max Seymour (Poet profile)

Original item by Max Seymour

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 16:46

Hi Justine, a newbie here, just having a wander and found these two, liked them, just thought I would let you know.
Bernie

Comment is about Justine Tennant (Poet profile)

Original item by Justine Tennant

Gus Jonsson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:58

Who's opened his Christmas crackers early....mmmmm

Thanks for reading AE
Gus

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Janet

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:41

You already have my thoughts on this poem but it looks just as good here as in your samples.

Janet.x

Comment is about Edge (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

maipenrai

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:26

Hi Janet and thank you for your comments, what this is about is when on holiday/working abroad you sometimes get into relationships that feel so real and good at the time, you are in love?.
Of course you both know you have to go your seperate ways and of course you promise to write, to meet again, for one or the other to go back to the others country, but you never do, hence waiting for that letter, letterbox dreams.
Bernie

Comment is about Letterbox Dreams (blog)

Steve Mellor

Thu 13th Aug 2009 14:22

Hi John, you smoothy
I'll spend the rest of the pm girding my loins.
'Work is shit' - So, you enjoy it as much as I did. I seceded from the union.
Steve

Comment is about John Darwin (Poet profile)

Original item by John Darwin

Justine Tennant

Thu 13th Aug 2009 13:51

life is a roller coaster! ;0) Just seen you on TV :0)

Comment is about this is war (blog)

shoeless

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:56

First night last night , YES GO , don't miss it :)

Comment is about Liverpool's Shakespeare Festival (article)

Janet

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:48

Hi Anthony, it's about time you up-dated your profile. It was getting to be hard work finding you down there in the dungeons. :-)

Love the ''Edge'' poem in your samples.

Janet.x

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Janet

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:40

Sliding doors?
This feels very busy. Almost like a hurried appraisal in a short space of time. Interesting use of the colour orange. :-)

Janet.x

Comment is about In San Francisco (blog)

Original item by Ralph Dartford

Janet

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:37

Interesting theory. Was the wise one in your thoughts and were those thoughts your own self doubt? When you left, did you let your feelings be known or contact the 'you' again?
Hm. Love letters straight from the heart comes to mind here. In theory anyway. :-)

Janet.x

Comment is about Letterbox Dreams (blog)

Isobel

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:21

Thanks for your comment Jeff - but you must be pulling my let about the great performance at Wigan - this is the one where page 2 went missing and I went from intro to conclusion with no middle! It was a great night overall though - am looking forward to the Southport one.
Isobel x

Comment is about Jeffarama! (Poet profile)

Original item by Jeffarama!

Isobel

Thu 13th Aug 2009 12:15

Thanks for my welcome home! Yes, I was surprised to hear a few Northern vowels in your accent. I am the same - have spent most of my life away from the North, but never lost the accent from my formative years - just the 'lewk, bewk' sound cos I got sick of people taking the mick. Loved your new poem, as did my sis, who was discussing it with me this morning...
Isobel x

Comment is about Anthony Emmerson (Poet profile)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Janet

Thu 13th Aug 2009 11:40

I love this! Super imagery throughout.
as Gus says, wonderful.

Janet.x

Comment is about Virtuality (blog)

David Franks

Thu 13th Aug 2009 11:01

From what I just read Lydia, in my opinion, you'd make a good lyricist - focusing more on metre, of course.

Comment is about (Poet profile)

Deborah R Jordan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 10:04

hola Gus, thank you very much for your kind comments on Virtuality, much appreciated as ever, Deb xx

Comment is about Gus Jonsson (Poet profile)

Original item by Gus Jonsson

Michèle Vassal

Thu 13th Aug 2009 09:39

This moved me. So many young men barely out of childhood. It reminded of Kate Bush's Army Dreamers.

Comment is about this is war (blog)

Michèle Vassal

Thu 13th Aug 2009 09:31

Thank you for the kind words of welcome. Being rather new to this, I have a lot to catch up, blogs to read etc. I like The voices when all activity subsides and old texts.

Comment is about Dave Bradley (Poet profile)

Original item by Dave Bradley

Thu 13th Aug 2009 08:46

Hi Anthony, I'm just catching up with stuff and read this, its a beautiful poem, great one. I did wonder if the words 'we gave each other all.' would be better as 'we gave our all' but assume you wanted to use those words for the content.

Love the last - they wash our footprints from the sand, but never from the heart - poetry.

Thanx for comment on 'somoeone in particular' yes good to see us men multi-tasking! Can't think what it reminds you of but glad you like it, it does work well as a live performance piece, cheers Jeff

Comment is about undercurrents (blog)

Original item by Anthony Emmerson

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:52

Hi Sophie, great to meet you last week in Wigan on that eggstraordinary night, when I have to say I loved your eggsemplory performance with the gang!

Great stuff, very funny how you put it across, quite meek at first and turning bitter with a victorius finish when you got the film role, brilliant and the singin -I'm coming out -was great!

Like the poem above too, hope to see you soon Jeff X

Comment is about Sophie Tinuviel Willan (Poet profile)

Original item by Sophie Tinuviel Willan

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:46

I told him not to do it, nice one Scott!

Comment is about Crucify (blog)

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:43

Hi Andy, like the layout of this, nice one and an ineteresting piece, cheers Jeff

Comment is about REVENGE IS A DISH BEST SERVED COLD .. (blog)

Original item by Andy N

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:39

Great stuff Chris and a fantastic performance of it too, well done, Jeff X

Comment is about job interview (blog)

Original item by christine yates

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:36

Agree with every word of the fine gentleman who did this review Cayn, great book mate!

Comment is about Cayn White Book Review... (blog)

Original item by Cayn White

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:33

hi Soph, just catching up, good stuff hope to see you soon Jeff X

Comment is about Davina (blog)

Original item by Sophie Hall

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:32

Hi Tommy, nice one yeah i didn't need smelling salts when they both got let off!! cheers jeff

Comment is about ''Help! I've been punched by a celebrity- Get me outta here!'' (blog)

Original item by Tommy Carroll

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:26

Hi Helen, sounds like a man after my own heart and good to see a man multi-tasking lol! Great poem and love the air of seduction, Jeff X

Comment is about Saturday night takeaway. (blog)

Original item by Helen Wakefield

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:20

Andrea, excellent stuff as I told you at chorlton, brilliant idea and very amusing. great performance too infront of a decent size crowd too, going great guns, Jeff xx

Comment is about Telly on a meter (blog)

Original item by Andrea

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:14

Marvellous Isobel, just catching up, very brave with the singing too, great performance at Wigan Jeff X

Comment is about Cramping My Style (blog)

Original item by Isobel

Thu 13th Aug 2009 00:09

Hi Andrea, each to their own, lol remind me to kiss you on the cheek lol see ya soon Jeff X

Comment is about Puppy breath (blog)

Original item by Andrea

Choose page: <-- Prev 1 2 3 150 300 450 600 750 900 1050 1200 1276 1277 1278 1279 1280 1350 1489 1490 1491 Next -->